Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ErIog posted:

Umm.. I tried to come up with a non-poo poo-post way to say this, but I couldn't so here goes.. "lol, wtf, why?"

The yard signs, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pollyanna posted:

I really hope Brexit just totally wrecks Trump's chances. It basically supported the same positions as him and now the UK's economy has tanked.

It won't move the needle either way, because we don't care about foreigners. :911:

However it's hilarious how he said "Brexit is great!" the day before the vote, only for the world economy to lose its poo poo the second the results were announced.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sean10mm posted:

It won't move the needle either way, because we don't care about foreigners. :911:

However it's hilarious how he said "Brexit is great!" the day before the vote, only for the world economy to lose its poo poo the second the results were announced.

I just really, really want Trump to lose, and Brexit is scaring me that he won't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I just really, really want Trump to lose, and Brexit is scaring me that he won't.

Why do people keep saying this? The situations are completely different, the main difference being we have way more non-white people in America who aren't going to "protest vote" for Trump.

I can't think of a more apples to oranges comparison.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sean10mm posted:

Well, we did get a lot of morons crowing about Britain fulfilling their fantasies of secession, but after the effects began, nothing. Since we don't care about foreigners or nuance, I'm sure that the fallout will be easy enough to blame on whoever's in charge at the moment here. Or it would be if Trump were at all that canny.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Seeing Nazis getting brained by 2x4s is cool and good

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/747430730670678016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Good. gently caress off Texas.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Scalia is rolling in his grave.

and it's loving great. Praise be to Scalia being dead.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Yay Scalia's still dead!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ready to drink tears

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Amazing news. gently caress you, Texas.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Actually it was a 5-3 decision. Scalia wouldn't have even turned it.

But still gently caress Scalia.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dexo posted:

Actually it was a 5-3 decision. Scalia wouldn't have even turned it.

But still gently caress Scalia.

Probably.

It's possible he could have convinced kennedy the other way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wait how the hell were there 4 dissents?

If only 3 voted against.

Did Scalia write a dissent from beyond the grave?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ready to drink tears

Look no further than the dissents, friend. From ScotusBlog:

quote:

Both dissents go to unusual lengths to accuse the majority of bending the rules because this is an abortion case.

Alito posted:

The Court’s patent refusal to apply well-established law in a neutral way is indefensible and will undermine public confidence in the Court as a fair and neutral arbiter.

Thomas posted:

[Today's] decision exemplifies the Court’s troubling tendency “to bend the rules when any effort to limit abortion, or even to speak in opposition to abortion, is at issue.” Stenberg v. Carhart, 530 U. S. 914, 954 (2000) (Scalia, J., dissenting).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hahahaha, gently caress you Texas.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...to-the-rapture/

quote:

It wasn’t until the McIntyres’ 17-year-old daughter Tori ran away from home so she could “attend school” that the family was more closely scrutinized. When Tori’s high school needed to know her level of education and what curriculum she had used so they could properly place her, administrators contacted her parents, who refused to cooperate. They argued that a previous Supreme Court ruling let them off the hook from compulsory, regulated education for their children beyond eighth grade.
A lawsuit resulting from that clash was temporarily resolved in 2014 when an Appeals Court ruled that the Supreme Court’s decision didn’t apply to this family:
The appeals court ruled that educational regulations did not prevent the McIntyres’ First Amendment right to “free exercise of religion.” The court said that 1972 court case which found that Amish did not have to send their children to school after the eighth grade did not exempt the McIntyres.
“No parents have ever prevailed in any reported case on a theory that they have an absolute constitutional right to educate their children in the home, completely free of any state supervision, regulation, or requirements,” the ruling stated. “They do not have an ‘absolute constitutional right to home school.’”
The family appealed the ruling all the way to the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court, which ruled yesterday in their favor.
Kind of.
The 6-3 decision was mostly argued on technical grounds — the justices didn’t address the issue of whether homeschooled kids have a constitutional right to an education — and the case will now return to the lower courts. But the central issue may not be resolved.
Attempting to investigate accusations of non-learning, school district attendance officer Michael Mendoza sought proof the children were being properly educated. That prompted the McIntyres to sue, arguing that their equal protection rights under the 14th Amendment had been violated and that the school district was anti-Christian.
….
The high court found that 14th Amendment claims were not a question for Texas’ educational code.
“Whether their constitutional rights were violated remains to be decided, but it is a question the courts — not the commissioner — must decide,” Justice John Devine wrote, referring to the state’s education commissioner, Mike Morath.
You might be disappointed that the parents weren’t punished for their negligence, but that issue was sidestepped for other legal concerns.
As far as homeschooling goes, Texas only requires that parents provide a written curriculum “designed to meet basic educational goals” in core subjects, but there’s no mandatory testing to see if the kids are actually learning anything.
It’s been said before, but preventing children from being educated is a form of child abuse. The parents have every right to homeschool their kids, but if they’re neglecting that duty, someone needs to step in. When the Rapture doesn’t come, those kids are going to need a way out of the hellhole the parents are creating for them.

God drat it Texas :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dexo posted:

Wait how the hell were there 4 dissents?

If only 3 voted against.

Did Scalia write a dissent from beyond the grave?
Thomas wrote one. Thomas also joined Alito's (along with Roberts joining.) Thomas really isn't happy about this.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Anyone have an analysis of the scope of the abortion ruling? Texas wasn't the only state with this ALEC bullshit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone have an analysis of the scope of the abortion ruling? Texas wasn't the only state with this ALEC bullshit

Its basically curtains for any state that tries to pass it as well, as it is, this ruling only applies to Texas, but it sets the legal precedent that any other of these laws will be thrown out of challenged in lower courts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Also note that the entire law was tossed out, even though they tried to word it as "if parts of this die the rest is fine and all of it is cool in any other jurisdictions in Texas nya nya nya" and the court basically said gently caress that.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Ugh, looks like Scotus let McDonnell off, and unanimously too. Can't win them all, I guess.

e: Actually it doesn't look like he's totally off the hook yet:

quote:

Governor McDonnell raises two additional claims re constitutionality of honest services statute and Hobbs Act. Court rejects those claims. Also, Governor McDonnell argues that there is insufficient evidence that he committed an official act; the Court does not rule on that question but instead sends it back to the lower courts for reconsideration under the Court's new definition of "official act."
Even still, it seems likely he'll win his retrial.

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 27, 2016

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hopefully this decision is written as broadly as possible to smack down this kind of chicanery before it starts next time.

Guess we still need a different case to stop the 18 week nonsense?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mr Jaunts posted:

Ugh, looks like Scotus let McDonnell off, and unanimously too. Can't win them all, I guess.

I don't understand how this court is so pro corruption.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Yawgmoft posted:

The short version is:

The conservatives don't think that corruption can exist, except as quid pro quo with the exchange of goods. Giving someone $1 million or a fancy car is fine as long as that gift is not explicitly tied to a request for an action. An implicit request is totally fine though.

The liberals want a clear standard that prevents state Attorney Generals or Fed's from having to take every corruption case to the Supreme Court for each individual circumstance. McDonnell getting another shot to get off is the price we have to pay to establish clear rules. They would rather lean on the side of allowing murky behavior if it means that there is a clear standard of conduct for elected officials and prosecutors.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 27, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thomas wrote one. Thomas also joined Alito's (along with Roberts joining.) Thomas really isn't happy about this.

Alito's Dissent featuring Thomas, and Scalia even gets some bars posthumously.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tim Kaine posted:

But boring is the fastest-growing demographic in this country

quite the burn on the american populace from mr. boredome

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yawgmoft posted:

It seems like Roberts only thinks something is corruption if it's on video and the two participants sign a notarized affidavit saying they are corrupt. Otherwise, go hog wild.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty excited to see how Trump reacts to this. A traditional GOP candidate would throw on his hair shirt and and gnash his teeth about the big mean activist judges and say a whole bunch of pro life shibboleths. Who knows what Trump's gonna say.

Also, it's been a real bad year for social/movement conservatives so far huh.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like Roberts only thinks something is corruption if it's on video and the two participants sign a notarized affidavit saying they are corrupt .Otherwise, go hog wild.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Also, it's been a real bad year for social/movement conservatives so far huh.

gently caress 'em

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

gently caress 'em

I hope their extremely hurt feelings don't make them too sad to ever participate in the political process ever again, personally.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yawgmoft posted:

Hopefully this decision is written as broadly as possible to smack down this kind of chicanery before it starts next time.

Guess we still need a different case to stop the 18 week nonsense?

The opinion specifically states that these requirements were unconstitutional because they deny women access to a "previability abortion," which means the court is going to stick to viability as the cutoff for abortion. Claims of "fetal pain" or whatever don't look like they'll fly.

Edit: Reading the abortion decision and found my favorite quote - "JUSTICE ALITO’s dissenting opinion is simply wrong"

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 27, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So, obviously this is garbage:

http://hiddenamericans.com/politics/un-official-found-dead-was-set-to-testify-against-hillary-clinton-same-day-barbell-fell-on-his-neck/

But I'm looking for the easily counterable parts of it. Trying to research the person who died is difficult because it's far-right conspiracy, but I'm guessing at least he wasn't actually testifying against Clinton? Anyone understand the connection attempting to be made more than me?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agreed, Roberts is in the pocket of the Obama administration.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

http://hiddenamericans.com/politics/un-official-found-dead-was-set-to-testify-against-hillary-clinton-same-day-barbell-fell-on-his-neck/

But I'm looking for the easily counterable parts of it. Trying to research the person who died is difficult because it's far-right conspiracy, but I'm guessing at least he wasn't actually testifying against Clinton? Anyone understand the connection attempting to be made more than me?

It's patently false. UN officials wouldn't testify against Hillary because they're both working to advance Agenda 21 and enact the NWO.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Why do you think facts or rational analysis of it will make any difference?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

Why do you think facts or rational analysis of it will make any difference?

Because the person who posted it is a friend I care about who has enough respect for me that I can probably actually get him to back down on this specific conspiracy theory.

I did more research, the "He was going to testify against CLINTON!" part is blatantly false.

The connection being made is that Ashe is accused of taking bribes from Ng Lap Seng, who was accused of illegal fundraising for the Democratic party in the 90s. However, his current situation has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Clintons. Even if we pretend that the Clintons were masterminding Seng in the 90s to get what they wanted, party A and party B being bribed by the same person wouldn't give party A reason to kill party B!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So if Trump is smart, this is his way to the top of the polls. He just has to say "If you elect Hillary, these abortion cases are only going to get further and further from banning abortion."

Trump cannot win on his charisma or his intelligence or his character or his wit or his policies, so he should try to run as "at least I'll put a right wing wacko in SCOTUS that will ban abortion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

So if Trump is smart, this is his way to the top of the polls. He just has to say "If you elect Hillary, these abortion cases are only going to get further and further from banning abortion."

Trump cannot win on his charisma or his intelligence or his character or his wit or his policies, so he should try to run as "at least I'll put a right wing wacko in SCOTUS that will ban abortion"

Yes, alienating women even more, THIS is truly the electoral strategy that will lead to a Trump victory.

• Locked thread