Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Four boxes suggests Texas might not be 4-4, since if it was it would be a single page, yes?

I'm more worried about who will be writing it. But who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Domestic abusers can't own firearms in accordance with federal law

Want to read the Thomas dissent

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
TEXAS LOSES

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Reversed :toot:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Breyer has abortion. 5th reversed

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gently caress yes!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thank loving god. Maybe it'll be in time to actually make a difference, I know a lot have closed already but...

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"Ginsburg concurs" are two of the sweetest words in the English language

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

exploding mummy posted:

I'd say he performed it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Thomas dissents, Alito dissents, joined by Roberts and Thomas

:qq: :qq: :qq:

"Second holding: Both the admitting privileges and surgical center requirements place a substantial obstacle in the path of women seeking a previability abortion, constitute an undue burden on abortion access, and thus violate the Constitution."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kennedy finally finds an abortion restriction that he doesn't give the benefit of the doubt to :toot:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

:siren::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::siren:

some good news as I watch the DJI today

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Thomas dissents, Alito dissents, joined by Roberts and Thomas

"Second holding: Both the admitting privileges and surgical center requirements place a substantial obstacle in the path of women seeking a previability abortion, constitute an undue burden on abortion access, and thus violate the Constitution."

How do we have 4 dissents if its 5-3?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

From the summary (and who wrote it) it appears the Texas decision was a complete win on all counts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

Thomas dissented, *and* joined Alito's dissent. He really dissented.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

BiohazrD posted:

Thomas both wrote his own dissent and joined another's dissent.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I don't think there's a single person surprised by this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I don't think there's a single person surprised by this

You're kidding, right? Everyone was expecting a 4-4 lower court wins texas wins everything is horrible.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

AtraMorS posted:

Thomas both wrote his own dissent and joined another's dissent.

Derp, should have noticed his name twice

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ginsburg's concurrence is two pages and is basically 'abortion is one of the safest medical procedures around, cockgoblins, we all know what you fuckers were up to'

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise

AND TEXANS WIN

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm digging the Thomas dissent in Voisine.

He's talking about plate throwing texting dads.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"Both dissents go to unusual lengths to accuse the majority of bending the rules because this is an abortion case."

Alito: "The Courts patent refusal to apply well-established law in a neutral way is indefensible and will undermine public confidence in the Court as a fair and neutral arbiter."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I guess Roberts is writing McDonnell

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Someone in DC please collect those tears

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

exploding mummy posted:

I guess Roberts is writing McDonnell

"there is no such thing as corruption, case dismissed"

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

:toot:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

evilweasel posted:

"there is no such thing as corruption, case dismissed"

Yeah, we can't have good news without something kicking us in the guts

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oddly alito's dissent is entirely about procedure from what I've read, he doesn't ever really say that the laws are constitutional

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

oddly alito's dissent is entirely about procedure from what I've read, he doesn't ever really say that the laws are constitutional

From SCOTUSblog: "Only Thomas would have upheld the statutes. Roberts and Alito would have remanded for additional findings." This is significant bc it suggests that Roberts and Alito may be willing to regard some abortion case law as essentially settles for stare decisis purposes.

Interesting...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

From the summary (and who wrote it) it appears the Texas decision was a complete win on all counts.

In the discussion on severability states the provisions "vastly increase the obstacles confronting women seeking abortions in Texas without providing any benefit to women's health capable of withstanding any meaningful scrutiny".

Then goes on to reiterate that viability controls when abortion can be limited, which should help in smacking down "fetal pain" bullshit laws.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"RBG's concurrence is all of two pages. The money line: "Texas argues that H.B.2s restrictions are constitutional because they protect the health of women who experience complications from abortions. In truth, 'complications from an abortion are both rare and rarely dangerous.'""

:swoon:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Thomas's dissent in Voisine boils down to

"If a dad text messages his wife and gets into a car crash and his son is slightly injured, then under the courts ruling he can no longer legally own a firearm"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gorilla Desperado posted:

From SCOTUSblog: "Only Thomas would have upheld the statutes. Roberts and Alito would have remanded for additional findings." This is significant bc it suggests that Roberts and Alito may be willing to regard some abortion case law as essentially settles for stare decisis purposes.

Interesting...

That commenter is overly optimistic. I think it's more likely that Roberts and Alito were trying to swing Kennedy and so they were drafting an opinion he could sign onto because they know he's not going to go to full repeal of Roe v. Wade. Fortunately it failed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

One thing that strikes me about the Texas case: Texas put in a laundry list of regulations and a severability clause that was as strong as you could get - saying, for example, that if the regulations were an undue burden in one part of Texas that area should be severed and they should apply elsewhere. This would create a morass of regulation that would be very difficult to untangle and would be blamed on the courts. As a result, the majority simply invalidated the entire law, and Alito is pissed about them not playing along. I think thats the right move here as trying to play along with Texas's severability clause (which literally says every word not held unconstitutional is severable from the others) would have been impractical and created so much confusion Texas would get through the back door what it couldn't through the front.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

That commenter is overly optimistic. I think it's more likely that Roberts and Alito were trying to swing Kennedy and so they were drafting an opinion he could sign onto because they know he's not going to go to full repeal of Roe v. Wade. Fortunately it failed.

Yeah, can totally see that. Much as I'm not a Kennedy fan, he's not total bullcrap on this one, thankfully.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evilweasel posted:

As someone else noted, some and may were working pretty hard for that commentator.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

exploding mummy posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2016: Breyer has abortion

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

unanimous :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008