Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Devliering for Mayo :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Devliering for Mayo :haw:

Hahahah, I hate that pile of poo poo.

Not only can he break tables, but he can break the rules of our lexicon too, what a loser.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

I don't normally post in AusPol but the election seems like a fun time to do so.

I just had one of my very good friends get suddenly very upset at me when I made a joke about the Family First party (asking who in their right mind would vote for them) because he supports their stance on removing the Safe Schools program. When I asked what he has against it he listed:
"I don't want people teching my daughter how to use dildos and have anal sex when she is 8."

"I don't want people teaching my daughter how to use dildos and have anal sex when she is 8" how the gently caress can anyone think this is what the Australian government is teaching children :psyduck:
I've kind of wondered why there was such furore over Safe Schools. But no loving wonder if this is the sort of insane bullshit Family First and their friends are pushing onto people.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Redcordial posted:

Hahahah, I hate that pile of poo poo.

Not only can he break tables, but he can break the rules of our lexicon too, what a loser.

Looks like the Xenophon candidate has 52% 2PP in his seat so he'll probably lose it :buddy:

It's one of the weirder Liberal safe seats around; look at the first election that first saw him elected as member.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Just drove to the consulate general in Chicago to vote. No democracy sausages to be found. Had to settle for some mediocre beer

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
loving hell Australia, if you vote the libs back in after this poo poo show of a term I'm going to be depressed about moving back in Dec.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hostage Katrina Dawson sustained at least seven gunshot wounds when police stormed Sydney’s Lindt cafe.

The inquest into the siege has heard details of the injuries sustained by Dawson, including that a total of 55 grains of bullet fragment were removed from her body.

What the gently caress

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Do candidates ever advertise using their first name? I'm asking because my local candidate has the last name Dick and I never thought about it before.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dick for Australia. Sounds like an LNP slogan.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Looks like Austudy payments are dropping by about $40 (inc rent assistance) in the new financial year. I guess newstart and all the others will be getting cut as well.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

gay picnic defence posted:

Looks like Austudy payments are dropping by about $40 (inc rent assistance) in the new financial year. I guess newstart and all the others will be getting cut as well.

Probably a nice whip crack to force them all onto PaTH

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Well, that's me hosed then :(

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

Do candidates ever advertise using their first name? I'm asking because my local candidate has the last name Dick and I never thought about it before.

There's a lot of Zed signs around Canberra. Kevin07 was a thing, too.

Speaking of which, most of the signs are Liberal Democrats or RUA, and there are a *lot* of them, with probably the Sex Party and Liberals after that. I can't see a result ofhter than the incumbents getting elected - are the little parties just trying to get their votes high enough for some of that sweet sweet electoral funding?

Presumably signs don't work that well, but i guess they're cheap.

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

loving hell that's awful.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The Australian have a lovely story today about how Tony Windsor was apparently a bully at high school according to 4 people. Because I guess the actions of someone nearly 50 years ago are relevant now?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If that's how far they have to go back to find something 'bad' then he must be a pretty decent guy
:unsmith:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

LibertyCat posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I break with tradition to respond to serial troll and nut job Piss Cat.

Ha loving Ha you piece of poo poo. Richly deserved. Take it as a sign that you shouldn't ever come back, because there is no way back from posting that.

It's part of our plan for headjobs* and guillotines.

*No not those sort of headjobs. Do I look like I support safe schools?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

THE DARKEST TIMELINE!

:suicide: :shrek:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm hoping for some seriously polling fuckup on July 2nd.

They predicted Brexit wrong so maybe the polls (most likely) have no idea what the gently caress to do with Xenophon Preferences or people saying they'll vote NXT in an area without an NXT candidate. You also have all those Palmer Voters who will probably go for Katter or disperse all over the spectrum

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Maybe all the Labor supporters just ignore the pollsters? That's what I do

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe they're too busy being realtradies or something. Who knows.

It's just that the liberal Campaign has been so uneventful and boring and will probably lie about not touching medicare.

And yet still win based on polling. It's kind of baffling but I'm not sure if the Coalition PV is over-represented or not.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

"Anidav" posted:

It's just that the liberal Campaign has been so uneventful and boring and will probably lie about not touching medicare.

They don't actually need to touch Medicare at this point, currently inflation is rendering it worthless like an unstoppable grinding wheel

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Did my early vote over the weekend.

What a selection

code:
1	BROAD, Andrew	The Nationals
2	LAHY, Chris	Citizens Electoral Council
3	SENIOR, Lydia	Australian Labor Party
4	MIDDLETON, Tim	Rise Up Australia Party
5	HEALY, Helen	The Greens

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Im thinking Labor will do OK, Turnbull will get in but will fail at having a majority at the joint sitting due to the Senate being quite hostile.

Cue three years of abject hell for Turnbull and a loss at the next election for the Libs. Bonus points if the Budgie Smuggler King returns to claim his throne.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 28, 2016

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Anidav posted:

It's not a lie, they just have a different definition for 'touch'

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

MiniSune posted:

Cue three years of abject hell for Turnbull and a loss at the next election for the Libs. Bonus points if the Budgie Smuggler King returns to claim his throne.

If the ALP don't immediately toss Bill and he is around as opposition leader for the full time I think they will steamroll the next election

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Maybe they're too busy being realtradies or something. Who knows.

And yet still win based on polling. It's kind of baffling but I'm not sure if the Coalition PV is over-represented or not.

People are disappointed with Turnbull but the less-informed voters don't have any particular animus against him or Morrison personally (despite continuing utterly wasteful and damaging LNP policies).
Howard was partially right the other day when he spoke about not detecting anger in the electorate - it is there, but it's not widespread in the way the anti-Abbott sentiment was.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

I'm hoping for some seriously polling fuckup on July 2nd.

They predicted Brexit wrong so maybe the polls (most likely) have no idea what the gently caress to do with Xenophon Preferences or people saying they'll vote NXT in an area without an NXT candidate. You also have all those Palmer Voters who will probably go for Katter or disperse all over the spectrum

Polling for Brexit wasn't terrible actually. Most of the aggregators had Remain and Leave fairly close in the mid 40s (with Remain slightly ahead) but with a large (typically ~10%) group of undecideds.

Betting markets got it completely wrong.

Birdstrike posted:

People are disappointed with Turnbull but the less-informed voters don't have any particular animus against him or Morrison personally (despite continuing utterly wasteful and damaging LNP policies).
Howard was partially right the other day when he spoke about not detecting anger in the electorate - it is there, but it's not widespread in the way the anti-Abbott sentiment was.

This 100%.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This was something that stood out. It seems like people are crying out for an alternative, and not finding it from the left they're heading to the fascists in droves. Anyone have any thoughts on where the the alternative might come from?

UBI :v:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That would just give people more time to be fascists. A government that doesn't sell its electors out at every opportunity would be a good start.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm not seeing any changes in newstart, source?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ewe2 posted:

I'm not seeing any changes in newstart, source?

My Austudy account. No idea if they've actually changed the other payments, I just assumed they'd gently caress all poor people and not just students

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Did anyone watch Media Watch last night? They started off with the FakeTradie stuff (I get the feeling Paul Barry hates the "twitterati" just as much as Bolt sometimes) but the second story was the Herald Sun straight up making poo poo up to slur muslims:

Media Watch posted:

The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet has denied claims made by the Herald Sun and Daily Mail, that special crockery was requested for a Ramadan dinner.

But let’s go straight to our favourite question, which is: was the story right?

To which the answer is no.

But let’s go back to the Herald Sun’s original story to see what checks they made that it was right.

And we’re helped in this by having all the questions the paper put to the Prime Minister’s Office and the answers.

And this one from the Herald Sun is particularly relevant.

"Was the Iftar meal served using cutlery, plates and glasses not from Kirribilli, but brought in, to comply with religious sensitivities?

— Herald Sun questions to Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
"

To which the answer given by the PM’s office was a straight:

"No - There was no issue with regards to religious sensitivities. The meal was prepared and served using equipment, including crockery, supplied by both Kirribilli House and the contracted caterer.

— Herald Sun questions to Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
"

And which bit of that do you think made it into the Herald Sun’s story, which went ahead despite this denial?

Was it this bit, starting with no?

Or this bit which said some crockery had been supplied by the caterer?

Yes, strangely enough, the denial just fell off the front … while the second bit was quoted in full to bolster the Herald Sun’s claim.

So why did the paper leave the key bit out?

Well, we asked the Herald Sun’s editor Damon Johnston that but he declined to answer.

They've straight up lied about what the Prime Minister's office said, and there's been no follow up. Surely this is a bigger story than that fake tradie malarkey?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/28/asylum-seekers-reviews-find-department-failed-to-properly-oversee-healthcare-provider

Give Guardian AU the click... then :suicide:

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

screaden posted:

What a selection

code:

For a second, I thought this suggested you put the CEC as your 2nd preference, but I'm a loving idiot, clearly

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

My Austudy account. No idea if they've actually changed the other payments, I just assumed they'd gently caress all poor people and not just students

My Austudy hasn't changed. Might be worth investigating if it's an issue on your end.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Did anyone watch Media Watch last night? They started off with the FakeTradie stuff (I get the feeling Paul Barry hates the "twitterati" just as much as Bolt sometimes) but the second story was the Herald Sun straight up making poo poo up to slur muslims:

They've straight up lied about what the Prime Minister's office said, and there's been no follow up. Surely this is a bigger story than that fake tradie malarkey?

Journalists get paid to do what the rest of us do when we're slacking off at work. :ssh:

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Nah, if they read AusPol they'd be better informed

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

screaden posted:

What a selection

code:

High five Mallee buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Tommofork posted:

High five Mallee buddy.

High five!

When I moved here three months ago I was told "You gotta vote the Nationals now because that's how it's done up here!". I don't think they even know why they vote Nats now

• Locked thread