Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People saying, "I wish I could code." You really should just take an hour each day and try to make something. Load up Unity, and just google "How to make a 2D map in Unity" then make a 2D map. Then google "How to make a roguelike in Unity" and read the tutorials, it's not that hard, it just takes a bit of dedication! There are a ton of game developers on SA who love helping, and we even have threads on game development!

If you hate coding or making games, then the only thing holding you back is your ability to sit still and do something an hour a day that you hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

superh posted:

Consider yourself down! I don't have any timeframe in mind yet, this is my nights-and-weekends project for now.

Cheers. I like breaking games. Reasonably talented at doing so too. I even give you a double header. I am on a Core 2 Quad machine so I fit the "old PC that has been too upgraded" demographic!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

People saying, "I wish I could code." You really should just take an hour each day and try to make something. Load up Unity, and just google "How to make a 2D map in Unity" then make a 2D map. Then google "How to make a roguelike in Unity" and read the tutorials, it's not that hard, it just takes a bit of dedication! There are a ton of game developers on SA who love helping, and we even have threads on game development!

If you hate coding or making games, then the only thing holding you back is your ability to sit still and do something an hour a day that you hate.

I have tried since the Commodore days. Some people are wired for the type of thinking that makes for a good coder, some aren't. Not everyone paints well, either (Me too. Wasted two years of art school working THAT one out.)

So, yeah, it's not quite so easy as to be so dismissive, or we ALL would be doing it.

I admire the gently caress out of those of you that can do it, so there's that too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you tried codehero? Unity also has modules that you can slot in to shore up your weaker areas. What do you have trouble with?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Does Deathstate have any audio cues? I'm a hard of hearing person, and with most roguelikes I can take my time to check things out, but Deathstate is a bit faster than turn based.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turtlicious posted:

Have you tried codehero? Unity also has modules that you can slot in to shore up your weaker areas. What do you have trouble with?

Code Hero is a) horrible b) incomplete c) will never ever be completed or fixed. Recommending people use a failed kickstarter game to learn how to program is pretty ridiculous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Post poste posted:

Does Deathstate have any audio cues? I'm a hard of hearing person, and with most roguelikes I can take my time to check things out, but Deathstate is a bit faster than turn based.

That's actually a complaint of mine! Deathstate doesn't have much in the way of audio cues outside of a few things: there's an evil laugh whenever you get near an elite enemy (they are differently colored from regular ones), a ding when your spells refill, and a ding when an enemy drops an item. And not much else, is my complaint - the sound design in the temple area can be downright mellow, with the soothing music and gentle thuds of my bullets firing, nevermind that I'm engaged in combat with horrible things.

edit: Mind you, the game is still fantastic and you should definitely check it out! The atmosphere is stellar, and I love the gameplay, what with the lack of aiming.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Awesome! posted:

check out tomb of tyrants http://store.steampowered.com/app/340360/

not exactly match 3 but it fits the theme

This game is pretty neat. Pressuring the mental demands of high level tile sliding, minion position/micro managing, ability usage, and future planning. Thank god you can pause at anytime if you want to take in the moment. It has a 'destined to fail' progressive unlock system somewhat core to the gameplay, which potentially limits how far you get, if that is a huge turnoff for you.

Also I wouldn't consider this a roguelike/lite :v:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's actually a complaint of mine! Deathstate doesn't have much in the way of audio cues outside of a few things: there's an evil laugh whenever you get near an elite enemy (they are differently colored from regular ones), a ding when your spells refill, and a ding when an enemy drops an item. And not much else, is my complaint - the sound design in the temple area can be downright mellow, with the soothing music and gentle thuds of my bullets firing, nevermind that I'm engaged in combat with horrible things.

edit: Mind you, the game is still fantastic and you should definitely check it out! The atmosphere is stellar, and I love the gameplay, what with the lack of aiming.

To rephrase, my issue is things being communicated with audio cues primarily. Because I can't hear through a lot of noise, I tend to get "surprised" by things with obvious audio cues.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been mulling ideas for a Puzzle Quest clone after having discovered just how awful Puzzle Quest 2 is (seriously, don't play it, it's just dull). Anyone care to make any recommendations for places to look for inspiration / mechanics to steal? The theory is that it would be a pretty straight-up clone of Puzzle Quest 1 with a sci-fi theme and a few different minigames.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Post poste posted:

To rephrase, my issue is things being communicated with audio cues primarily. Because I can't hear through a lot of noise, I tend to get "surprised" by things with obvious audio cues.

i dont think theres really anything that will catch you off guard if you cant hear but im not 100% sure

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Post poste posted:

It's fine, the 'there's a boss' laugh is handy, but you'll know one is around because of the volume of fire.

The audio cue when your abilities become active is kind of important, but you can always glance at the bottom left occasionally (or mash the button constantly :v:)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been mulling ideas for a Puzzle Quest clone after having discovered just how awful Puzzle Quest 2 is (seriously, don't play it, it's just dull). Anyone care to make any recommendations for places to look for inspiration / mechanics to steal? The theory is that it would be a pretty straight-up clone of Puzzle Quest 1 with a sci-fi theme and a few different minigames.

Steal Puzzle & Dragons mechanics :P I actually posted about this a bit ago, I was totally serious though, I really want a game that has a puzzle mechanic that engaging bolted to a good rpg. P&D is unfortunately one of those microtransactiony-time gated bullshit phone games, but the core gameplay is great.

Basically - you can grab any piece on the board and move it anywhere you want, but there's a timer on the move, so there's a certain element of physical dexterity and planning involved. Every time you move through a piece, it shifts position, so you can (and need to) use moves to set up larger combos, or store pieces for later use.

Most critically, it gives you control over the board, and that's huge. I tried playing PQ after playing P&D for awhile, and I just couldn't handle how little I could manage the playfield.

Then they have ton of rpg mechanics tied to the colors, matches, and movement manipulation.

Honestly I'm surprised there aren't many (any?) clones on PC yet, there are plenty of lovely ones on phones, but despite looking, I still haven't seen one on Steam.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Please pardon me while I go completely off-topic...

victrix posted:

Steal Puzzle & Dragons mechanics :P I actually posted about this a bit ago, I was totally serious though, I really want a game that has a puzzle mechanic that engaging bolted to a good rpg. P&D is unfortunately one of those microtransactiony-time gated bullshit phone games, but the core gameplay is great.

Basically - you can grab any piece on the board and move it anywhere you want, but there's a timer on the move, so there's a certain element of physical dexterity and planning involved. Every time you move through a piece, it shifts position, so you can (and need to) use moves to set up larger combos, or store pieces for later use.

Most critically, it gives you control over the board, and that's huge. I tried playing PQ after playing P&D for awhile, and I just couldn't handle how little I could manage the playfield.

I can definitely understand wanting to have more control over the play board; one of the more frustrating mechanics of the Puzzle Quest system is how you're a slave to how the board happens to be arranged. I've looked at a couple of videos of P&D gameplay though, and I think it may go a bit far in the other direction since players seem to be able to consistently do most of a screen clear...which makes strategic use of what's on the board kind of irrelevant. I mean, you want the player to be rewarded for skillful play, but it'd be nice if there were some degree of planning across multiple turns. I'm also inclined to favor more turn-based gameplay (i.e. nothing with timers) just for personal reasons.

One concept I'm mulling is that you get to make a set number of swaps each turn, with no matches occurring until you're done making swaps. So e.g. if you really need some red mana, then you can walk a red piece across the board to make a match. Or you could set up a nice multi-level combo instead. You'd have more control over the board than you do in standard PQ, but I think it'd still be possible to make a passable AI (it looks like P&D does not even try to have AI interactions with the board).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Instead of gems or candy or whatever do match 3 of humor concepts, match 3 to tell a joke in that vein. This is totally my original idea and not related to discussion that may have occurred previously in this very thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

Code Hero is a) horrible b) incomplete c) will never ever be completed or fixed. Recommending people use a failed kickstarter game to learn how to program is pretty ridiculous.

Codecombat, not code hero. My bad.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Post poste posted:

Hmm that's a good question - I don't think there's anything that relies on audio cues, with the possible exception of the fact that music pitches down when the level timer's about to run out, to try and shoo you towards the exit. There's a message that pops up, too, but my brain's too fried from a long weekend to remember when everything lines up.

There's never anything like an attack that is only telegraphed by sound, or anything like that.

StrixNebulosa posted:

We don't have plans (at the moment) to expand the number of cues too much, because we're in the process of doing a little bit of an overhaul on the sound effects in the game now. We all love the soundtrack, but we're a little limp on most of the other audio so we're working on having something more cohesive put together for us.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I am just poo poo at actually breaking a task down to the correct number of steps (I often tend to accidentally skip stops during algorithm creation because, well, it makes sense to ME! Would prolly be better if I wasn't actually ADD.)

But I will check out CodeHero.

EDIT: Make that CodeCombat.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 27, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Do not check out CodeHero, it is bad dumb and unfinished. There are many very very good tutorials out there for a ton of languages these days, and, there are various gamedev environments you can use that focus on extremely simple logic based design, rather than raw coding to create everything.

If you can understand basic logic, you can handle basic scripting, and if you do a lot of scripting to get a game functioning, it's not much of a leap from that to tinkering with 'real' code, and then you're off to the races.

Tinker with something like Gamemaker or Rpgmaker, or follow a very specific Unity tutorial - don't dive into the deep end of 'ok, time to learn a language and code my own game!', that way lies madness and failure. There are tons of resources out there for graphics, art, music, code, and thousands of google pages on more complex algorithms that are commonly used in games.

Pick a tiny achievable goal, achieve it, move on to the next tiny achievable goal. If you focus on getting something up and running, and build on that, you can see and feel your progress, vs. trying to 'learn a programming language' in the abstract (you totally can do that, of course, just saying if you want to make a game, make a game, write horrible spaghetti code, give no fucks).

e: ef, codecombat, yes that's good, uh, ignore that, rest stands :v:

victrix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Turtlicious posted:

Codecombat, not code hero. My bad.

This piqued my curiosity, so I figured hell, it's free (or freemium, at least), so I'll give it a shot. It seems like it mostly focuses on web languages, although I guess Python would run on just about anything. First world is just reviewing stuff I already know but in a new language, but I do give it credit for teaching stuff in a way that a total newbie wouldn't find overwhelming. Only things screwing me up in the baby stages are camel case loving with my OCD and remembering how far the move commands actually move the little pixel mans. :v:

It does make me curious though, since we have a number of goon devs in thread. What language(s) do you guys code your games in? My meager coding experience from school was mostly C++, though that was long enough ago I don't remember the syntax for any of it. The last time I had to use any of it was helping a friend get through his programming classes when he got stuck on his homework.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I did a basic adventure game in high school (think guild of thieves or the pawn) with combat using Apple basic. Then used Turbo Pascal to make an advanced d&d combat sim with no graphics. In uni I did a basic EoB style crawler using ansii c. All of these basically burned me out on interface and draw routines - so much damned work!

Then i fell into Microsoft.net and haven't done anything other than programming databases and e-commerce things that make other people a lot of money :( not a rogue like developer but I always think in the back of my mind I could be...

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Roguelike Development: The Undiscovered Country

*spaceship noises*

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

not knowing wtf you are doing and coding a game that is only barely held together by an absolute abomination of code is the traditional roguelikedev way. hop to it, fellas.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

not knowing wtf you are doing and coding a game anything that is only barely held together by an absolute abomination of code is the traditional roguelikedev way for all developers. hop to it, fellas.

I mean come on, let's be honest now

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

not knowing wtf you are doing and coding a game that is only barely held together by an absolute abomination of code is the traditional roguelikedev way. hop to it, fellas.

Basically this?:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Basically this?:

biskup's the head of some tech company and has been coding for over a decade and he still managed to introduce a bug that somehow would make it so that instead of summoning a dragon, it would instead create exactly 3,600 potions of carrot juice. and then crash the game. so as far as i can tell yes, like that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

superh posted:

Consider yourself down! I don't have any timeframe in mind yet, this is my nights-and-weekends project for now.

Yo, you're the deathstate dev, right? Is it an intended feature that my computer keeps going to the screensaver midway through boss fights, causing me to die before i can get back in through the unlock screen? Like, some otherworldly horror effect?

OS X desktop, playing with 360 controller; can give more details if they'd be helpful.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PleasingFungus posted:

Yo, you're the deathstate dev, right? Is it an intended feature that my computer keeps going to the screensaver midway through boss fights, causing me to die before i can get back in through the unlock screen? Like, some otherworldly horror effect?

OS X desktop, playing with 360 controller; can give more details if they'd be helpful.

My non-programmer guess would be it's not considering gamepad input as activity like it would keyboard or mouse, based off what you said. Or Deathstate isn't returning something OSX is looking for to consider it active.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Zaodai posted:

My non-programmer guess would be it's not considering gamepad input as activity like it would keyboard or mouse, based off what you said. Or Deathstate isn't returning something OSX is looking for to consider it active.

Yeah, that was my guess.

Also, a couple other very minor issues I saw: killing the final boss spawns cash behind/inside the exit, and there are a few typos in the bestiary:

("it's" should be "its")

("Emmissary" should be "Emissary")

Game seems fun!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VolticSurge posted:

So,a kindly Goon (Fart of Presto on Steam) just gifted me Sproggiwood. Any good tips for starting out? I don't play many roguelikes.

Sproggiwood is super easy and pretty meh overall. At least it was free.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
did you try savage?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

PleasingFungus posted:

Yep working as intended! (Obviously not really.)

Googling a bit seems like other people using our input plugin have experienced something similar. I'll try to track down what's up. Thanks for the report!

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, that was my guess.

Also, a couple other very minor issues I saw: killing the final boss spawns cash behind/inside the exit, and there are a few typos in the bestiary:

("it's" should be "its")

("Emmissary" should be "Emissary")

Game seems fun!

Thanks for these too!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

did you try savage?

yea and sproggiwood was still bad

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
:rip:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

superh posted:

Yep working as intended! (Obviously not really.)

Googling a bit seems like other people using our input plugin have experienced something similar. I'll try to track down what's up. Thanks for the report!

Thanks for these too!

Thanks for Deathstate, you've made a game that seems like it should be boring, but suddenly eats an hour of my time.
Also I have a weird penchant for deathspirals where I'll be doing fine at 8 health bits and then suddenly I get hit which causes me to get hit more and more till I die because I got hit once.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yea and sproggiwood was still bad

sproggiwood is good, imo

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is Sublevel Zero if I loved Descent growing up?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone made a Roguelike based off the Shadowrun Genesis game?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/254320/discussions/2/358415738194771948/?tscn=1467065815

I made a post about the slime thing on the Steam feedback forumfor Duskers and it got a dev response. This sounds promising.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know what, I'm tired of talking about the game I want to make, and not sitting down and making it.

I'm downloading unreal right now, everyone look out for the next good roguelike about Cyberpunk magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Turtlicious posted:

Has anyone made a Roguelike based off the Shadowrun Genesis game?

Would be pretty sweet, honestly. I loved the Genesis Shadowrun.

The Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong games are decent to good, though not roguelikey at all.

I can't imagine trying to balance a roguelike in that setting. Magic, cybertech, crazy guns, guys who can punch through walls with their bare hands, guys with assault robots, deckers and the whole matrix deal...

Even if you limit it to a single city, that would be a massive (if awesome) undertaking.