Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

qntm posted:

C manages to be pretty horrific despite its lack of ambition.

C's greatest strength is also its biggest pain in the rear end. Same with C++ and assembly, really; the direct control over memory is powerful as hell and you can squeeze out every last drop of performance out of the hardware.

But holy balls is it easy to get a pointer or memory address error that makes the whole thing come crashing down even if you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

qntm posted:

C manages to be pretty horrific despite its lack of ambition.

Try BLISS...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

javascript is the only language where the language gets criticized when the fault lies with the inexperience of the people writing it.

"oh man, javascript is so bad but i definitely won't read anything about it and just blame javascript when something bad happens!"

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Nah, every language that gets criticized, from PHP through C++ to Haskell, has people show up to defend it by saying "you're just using it wrong".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sinestro posted:

C is a lot less ambitious.

theyre not really comparable anyway. c's goal was a programming language that could self-host its compiler while simplifying some aspects of direct assembly programming. mumps' goal was to stow a bunch of medical data on a mainframe and do some small amount of processing on it. mumps simpler goals are directly reflected in things like the lack of an inequality operator other than the one that directly mapped to a machine instruction on the pdp7 in the original implementation. cant remember if that's > or <, but for a long time the only way to do >= was do instead use '< (not less than) and poo poo like that.

c accomplished basically everything it set out to do. so did mumps, but mumps is an artifact that survived past its peculiar original use case only by the accident of being adopted by a bunch of big emr vendors before there were any better database solutions around for that space whereas c survived because it lets you wring a lot of performance out of your platform while writing small code with (sometimes) provable memory consumption with at least hypothetical portability.

obviously modern poo poo like c# or java set out to provide a lot more to the programmer out of the box, but good fuckin' luck writing, for example, a real-time os or a controller for a small embedded device in java or c# without running into issues with memory usage, delays caused by gc, resource usage by the runtime, etc.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Vanadium posted:

Nah, every language that gets criticized, from PHP through C++ to Haskell, has people show up to defend it by saying "you're just using it wrong".

There is no right way to use PHP.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I took the C "pretty horrific" descriptor to be regarding the shockingly high difficulty in avoiding undefined behaviour :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pokeyman posted:

I took the C "pretty horrific" descriptor to be regarding the shockingly high difficulty in avoiding undefined behaviour :shrug:

True enough.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

pokeyman posted:

This is the worst part about c and c++. It seems compiler writers have more sway than language users when it comes to the c/c++ standards.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

This is the worst part about c and c++. It seems compiler writers have more sway than language users when it comes to the c/c++ standards.

Because early on, the compilers came first, then the standards largely just documented what they were already doing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I remember having an easy time of C in the 90's. Things got sour when I hooked up to the Internet and started discovering all the insane tricks and methods people were using to write real software.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I think a distinction should be made between C and C++. C was originally kind of intended as a way to write assembly more efficiently, and ended up being quite successful at that goal. It does what it does very well, and it doesn't really try to do much more than that.

C++ started with good intentions, was fairly successful at what it was trying to do early on, but since seems to have kind of gone off the rails in trying to keep up with the times.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Vanadium posted:

Even Brainfuck?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

I think a distinction should be made between C and C++. C was originally kind of intended as a way to write assembly more efficiently, and ended up being quite successful at that goal. It does what it does very well, and it doesn't really try to do much more than that.

C++ started with good intentions, was fairly successful at what it was trying to do early on, but since seems to have kind of gone off the rails in trying to keep up with the times.

C is interesting because it just kind of hangs around, bein' c, just kind of doin' it's thing. It's like yo, I'm c, here if you need me but it's cool if you don't. C# is an alright guy. He's my nephew, you know! Does good work. We're proud of him.

C++ is Steve Buscemi carrying a skate board. He isn't fooling anybody but is still good at some things so he gets work.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Why can't browsers just run python.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TimWinter posted:

Fuuuuuuuck yooooooou

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd rather do work in python than php or javascript.

I mean I hate a lot about python but I also like a bunch of it too.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Looks like you were trying to say 'gently caress you' but the browser is struggling under the weight of loading 3 gigs of some bullshit frontend framework

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xzzy posted:

I'd rather do work in python than php or javascript.

I mean I hate a lot about python but I also like a bunch of it too.

What do you hate about Python? :munch:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

syntactic spacing is always bad for one

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The standard library is trash, Python 3 is giant mistake nobody will admit fault for that didn't really fix anything, the wordiness and bizarre implementation of closures makes it hard to write in a functional way...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TimWinter posted:

Internet Explorer could for a while.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The only really bad thing about c is function pointer syntax. Well, and everything in string.h, but you can just ignore that.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Soricidus posted:

The only really bad thing about c is function pointer syntax. Well, and everything in string.h, but you can just ignore that.

Implicit conversions, a systems programming language overemphasizing performance,

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Soricidus posted:

Zero terminated strings are a cancer.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Soricidus posted:

The preprocessor, undefined behavior, typedef syntax (and for that matter having both concepts of typedefs and structs rather than unifying them into a single idea), the anemic build systems that inevitably result in people defining compile-time logic using ad-hoc bash scripts,

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Strong Sauce posted:

javascript is the only language where the language gets criticized when the fault lies with the inexperience of the people writing it.

"oh man, javascript is so bad but i definitely won't read anything about it and just blame javascript when something bad happens!"

You may think it's reasonable to have objects in the global namespace have effects on script execution based on magic names that aren't visually cued in any way, and call this opinion "experience", but I don't think it's reasonable, and I call it "brain damage caused by too much Javascript exposure"

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Soricidus posted:

The only really bad thing about c is function pointer syntax.
http://cdecl.org/

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Gul Banana posted:

it's the lack of choice
javascript is wayyy too high-level to be the core ABI of an application platform. thanks to historical accidents we've been stuck with that, as well as its actual design mistakes (which were major)

like if the web is going to be "computers 2.0" then this thing is in the position of assembly. imagine if instead of being able to access registers the hardware just gave you garbage-collected hash tables..

WebAssembly FTW, then?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Hammerite posted:

You may think it's reasonable to have objects in the global namespace have effects on script execution based on magic names that aren't visually cued in any way

You mean like the main function? :smug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We hear so much about how all these languages suck...so what are y'all's favorite programming languages? And perhaps more importantly, are your favorite languages the ones you actually get to use for any substantial serious work? No "I did a few Project Euler problems in Haskell and really liked it".

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Swift is great and actually useful if you happen to be doing apple stuff. C# has some more visible, probably immortal flaws, but it's also very good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We hear so much about how all these languages suck...so what are y'all's favorite programming languages? And perhaps more importantly, are your favorite languages the ones you actually get to use for any substantial serious work? No "I did a few Project Euler problems in Haskell and really liked it".

As far as the actual language goes, C# is quite good. There are some issues with some of the toolchain poo poo that is quite annoying but hopefully with .NET Core coming out some of that will get fixed/simplified.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
F# is a thing of beauty. It's biggest downsides are lack of portability (though that's slowly improving) and a lack of decent tooling. To be fair though, the tooling isn't actively bad, it's just not nearly as good as other .NET languages like C#. It's way better than what you get for most other functional languages.

TimWinter posted:

If we're gonna shake up the front-end language options, can we at least pick a language with type checking?

Bognar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 27, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

whenever i need to bang out something functional c# is excellent. if we're just going arbitrary favorite, i kinda have stockholm syndrome with mumps and find its flaws and weirdness kinda fun.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HappyHippo posted:

You mean like the main function? :smug:

:pwn:

Actually I don't really like that it's main() either, for the same reason, but given that you literally can't write Hello World without knowing that the function where execution starts has to be called main(), it's difficult to argue that it's as much of a problem.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Don't worry I was just joking

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

fleshweasel posted:

Swift is great and actually useful if you happen to be doing apple stuff.

Oh hi, language which treats the first parameter of a function call differently than the rest.
Just kidding, I like Swift. But no language is perfect.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Zopotantor posted:

Oh hi, language which treats the first parameter of a function call differently than the rest.
Just kidding, I like Swift. But no language is perfect.

And it's fixed in Swift 3, thus making it perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Coworker didn't understand that returning something in square brackets means that you're returning an array in Ruby, and was confused as to why he had to flatten a 2d array to get his list of hashes. :downs:

Also we're having a 30 minute meeting on where to put the "Get Help" button. :negative: