Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tautologicus posted:

It should be stigmatized. You think you're hosed up, why shouldn't other people think you're hosed up.

You know that old saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt," this was the last shred of doubt I had fluttering away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheTatteredKing posted:

It's a video game avatar which is a nuance a retarded pedant like you should appreciate

You've got 45 pages of smuggery in this thread, you asking me to stop posting is real rich

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeb! Bush is a BIG FAT MESS

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the best part about brexit is that with 24 hours of the vote, all the leave leadership came out and said "hahaha we were loving lying about everything! ahahahaha you rubes!"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "You want to see goofy, look at him in that hat." ~ Senator Professor Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas.

This insult does not work when the target is Donald Trump and his hair

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
America has brain AIDS and the only cure is more Trump.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

You know that old saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt," this was the last shred of doubt I had fluttering away.

I just don't believe people are inherently, existentially hosed up. I don't believe in "faulty brain chemistry". I do know people who had bad effects from Lyme disease and that's different. But whatever, not my life. Go for it I guess, if you think you have no choice I guess you don't.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Tautologicus posted:

I don't believe in "faulty brain chemistry".

That's a shame, it's important to believe in yourself.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jesus christ can we get some moderation in this loving thread

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tautologicus posted:

You've got 45 pages of smuggery in this thread, you asking me to stop posting is real rich

Yeah and I'm sure you got 100 and I can't be assed to check. You're the smug prick declaring yourself the winner of arguments and saying you are correct this criticism of your conclusion is wrong.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

I just don't believe people are inherently, existentially hosed up. I don't believe in "faulty brain chemistry". I do know people who had bad effects from Lyme disease and that's different. But whatever, not my life. Go for it I guess, if you think you have no choice I guess you don't.

oh my loving god lol

this guy believes schizophrenia is not a thing that is real, but that lyme disease is a serious illness that causes real harm

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nah im done, i keep forgetting it's broken people as far as the eye can see on the internet. The broken are also easier to control politically so it makes sense

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

blue squares posted:

Jesus christ can we get some moderation in this loving thread

Jeb! is the force of moderation that our country needs, Jeb! can fix it!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
did you guys seriously spend all weekened arguing with people who think the illuminati are rigging all the polls

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

You guys know the republicans were originally the part of free trade so by the Jeffrey Lord/Robert Byrd theorem Trump is a globalist.

Suck it nml.

Um...no?

The 19th century GOP was very much not the free trade party.

See: Republican Benjamin Harrison with "Protection" on his gloves, while Democrat Grover Cleveland lays passed out under a "Free Trade" banner.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

oh my loving god lol

this guy believes schizophrenia is not a thing that is real, but that lyme disease is a serious illness that causes real harm

You think it isn't? ooooooooooooook i've met 3 people with debilitating effects. 1 with half of his face paralyzed, after a hiking trip the year before, he was an active duty marine like me. also had depression from it. was getting a medical discharge. 2nd, facial tics and muscle spasms in his throat, preventing him from speaking normally. traced it back to a tick bite as well. 3rd was my aunt, she's had chronic fatigue syndrome for decades, same deal. but ok

remember, you're the one with the mental illnesses, not me, so it's your own judgement you should be doubting, not other peoples'.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

did you guys seriously spend all weekened arguing with people who think the illuminati are rigging all the polls

tbf the other truther is a lot more fun

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tautologicus posted:

Nah im done, i keep forgetting it's broken people as far as the eye can see on the internet. The broken are also easier to control politically so it makes sense

You only see brokenness people your own perception is broken

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh definitely, it's my understanding that the most effective modern take on mental illness is to use a combination of medication and therapy. The most sinister part of mental illness itself is that it's "normal" to you. I mean I didn't think the treatments for ADD I started taking were working until about a month in, when I forgot to take my Adderall that morning.

I lived for seven months in a facility that was specifically for treating people who were both mentally ill and homeless. The entire program was based around constantly monitoring you to see that you were complying with your medication schedule (although they wouldn't force you to take your meds, refusing to take them could get you booted from the prigram) and attending group therapy sessions of a variety of formats 3 times a day, 5 days a week. Even though the program was somewhat experimental in a little bit underfunded, it really was overall an excellent approach to addressing Mental Health. Of course it also helped that when I was in the program the people there really wanted to be there, and really wanted to get better.

In my own specific situation when I entered the program I was desperately struggling to maintain a grasp on reality, they were entire sections of symptoms I was experiencing that I had lied about because I was afraid that if I admitted to having psychic powers then I would be abducted into the Monarch program and turned into a psychic weapon for the Illuminati. Thankfully they got me on some fairly Good Meds fairly quickly, which helped clear my mind enough and give me enough of a sense of reality to do therapy. And I did a mother loving poo poo load of therapy, and even after I left the program I continued weekly therapy sessions for years.

At present I take very little medication, having work with my doctors to gradually draw down my dosage asthma Independence and function improved. I credit this to having done a great deal of work in therapy.

Now that said therapy did not make my symptoms go away, I am absolutely still schizophrenic and could become just as deluded as I used to be if I let my guard down. What therapy did help me do however was to gain the coping skills to be able to accept my situation as it is and learn to adapt to the differences in the way I process reality vs healthy people. And while if you met me at a restaurant and we sat down I would come off as fairly normal, perhaps even charming if the visit was brief enough, if you new me over a period of weeks then you would eventually see that there's definitely something off about me.

What I'm saying is that medication and therapy has enabled me to live a much more independent and regular life, but they absolutely have not made my mental illness go away. They just made me able to find ways to adapt to it, and make my peace with the reality of the fact that I will spend the entire rest of my life coping with my illness.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Tautologicus posted:

Hey I'm a Biomedical Physicist with some insight into the neuroscience of many mental disorders! You are 100% totally wrong and ignorant about everything you're talking about on this tangent to the point that it is legitimately offensive. Politics aside you absolutely shouldn't be posting about this.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

they wanted trump people back for some reason and they got em

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
will Donald Trump do something to stop the CIA spy satellites that keep beaming Radio Free Europe into my fillings?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

A take so hot its half life is measured in centuries

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
please don't go NML its way easier for me to jack off to Hillary winning with your soft whimpers and moans in the background.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

will Donald Trump do something to stop the CIA spy satellites that keep beaming Radio Free Europe into my fillings?

You're joking, but I started this whole mess because I've been researching a guy who used abortion protests to cover for the fact that he was stalking and harassing young women at a high school. It made me wonder if mental illness is a motivating factor in politics. I'm not sure I like the answer that I got.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thunderbro posted:

Hey I'm a Biomedical Physicist with some insight into the neuroscience of many mental disorders! You are 100% totally wrong and ignorant about everything you're talking about on this tangent to the point that it is legitimately offensive. Politics aside you absolutely shouldn't be posting about this.

I really honestly do not give a single gently caress what your background is, I know what I've seen and I know what i believe. If it offends you, good.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

please don't go NML its way easier for me to jack off to Hillary winning with your soft whimpers and moans in the background.

If Hillary wins, i've lost complete faith in the American political process and partially in America in general, I have dual citizenship i'll be fine. I won't be crying about it, it will just be the last straw for my faith in my home country. But i don't think she will win, there's more writing on the wall every day.

Hhahah mirthless thanks for the custom title you loving idiot. Shoulda spent that 10 dollars on a loving pubmed subscription or something actually useful.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i know that ive seen Mossad agents putting AIDS needles into the chairs of my house; i dont care if you say thats idiotic because i know what i believe and if im offending you, good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

NML has got to be a lonely time displaced teen because his posting is legit indistinguishable from a LiveJournal

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tautologicus posted:

I really honestly do not give a single gently caress what your background is, I know what I've seen and I know what i believe. If it offends you, good.

lol nice title

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
i miss the echo chamber

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
That avatar is solid gold. Thanks to whatever hero bought that one :911:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

im scared that all the trumpists will turn to "of course he lost the system is rigged", denying us any payoff for all this tediousness

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
What does NML stand for? It's ringing a bell but I can't quite place it.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, people here don't think Lyme disease is real?

It's on the CDC website you morons

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/postlds/index.html

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tautologicus posted:

If Hillary wins, i've lost complete faith in the American political process and partially in America in general, I have dual citizenship i'll be fine. I won't be crying about it, it will just be the last straw for my faith in my home country. But i don't think she will win, there's more writing on the wall every day.

mmmm yea this is good stuff thank you. will you permatoxx for me baby?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

lemme give you my thoughts on Hitler and mental disease and *quaffs deep from own fart* virtue signaling

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zelder posted:

NML has got to be a lonely time displaced teen because his posting is legit indistinguishable from a LiveJournal

nml is some dude who figured out how to never work again, i think by scamming the government or disability, dont remeber how. now he uses his absolute freedom to argue on the internet about poo poo he has no clue about

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

babypolis posted:

im scared that all the trumpists will turn to "of course he lost the system is rigged", denying us any payoff for all this tediousness

Considering 4chan nerds literally had to hack voting machines to set up firewalls against Karl Rove's back doors it's pretty safe to say that the system is rigged in some pretty lovely ways. I hope that nasty bastard stays far, far away from the Trump campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Remember that this is the type of people reported to be volunteering for his campaign

• Locked thread