Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Actually, way back in the day in the US, when we were trying to figure out who counted as "white" for the purposes of the "white males only" aspect of voting, the Irish were not included in that, and we're actually compared to African Americans, to the point that some lawmaker essentially said that if we aren't letting African Americans count as white, how can we possibly let the Irish count. (Paraphrased, of course)

There were apparently lots of trials over this issue, and there were lots of odd decisions about who was, in fact, "white."

Isn't political racism fun.

Another reason why Irish and Italians, and it probably extends to Hispanics as well, is that they're Catholics. America's a Christian nation, if you haven't heard, but it has always favored Calvinist Protestant Christianity of the Chosen People and not that mystery religion where you do good deeds to get into Heaven. Even when Kennedy was elected, he had to fight allegations that he was receiving his orders from Vatican City, like all good Papists do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/PED7/status/747063871765086208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I can't stop laughing. This just keeps getting funnier.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

uncleKitchener posted:

I'd like to hear one pro of actually leaving the EU because it all seems pretty gloomy and depressing.

MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lol The Wall was prophetic, who loving knew

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ahahaha cameron what the gently caress have you done

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

Is the rest of England outside London so ignorant of global socio-economic matters that they think throwing a bunch of foreigners out really worth it when anything from chicken to TVR is no longer British-owned or comes from the same continent?

lol look at you in your little bubble

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36636853

the economy is imploding. all thanks to the conservative party, the party that knows how to take care of the economy

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is "oh god everything is crashing and burning, we are headed for a second stone age" the other side of the "the market will always go up up up!" coin?

Also did he leave people not prepare anyone for this happening, it seems like an obvious result?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Barclays and RBS shares suspended from trading after tanking more than 8% after Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-rbs-halts-trading-eu-referendum-brexit-ftse-100-stock-market-a7105196.html

Barclays was down 10.3 per cent and RBS was down 15 per cent on Monday, triggering automatic circuit breakers

Thank the person who put in the circuit breakers, otherwise...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

bongwizzard posted:

Is "oh god everything is crashing and burning, we are headed for a second stone age" the other side of the "the market will always go up up up!" coin?

Also did he leave people not prepare anyone for this happening, it seems like an obvious result?

lol they didn't believe enough people would huff their farts for it to actually happen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Young Freud posted:

Another reason why Irish and Italians, and it probably extends to Hispanics as well, is that they're Catholics. America's a Christian nation, if you haven't heard, but it has always favored Calvinist Protestant Christianity of the Chosen People and not that mystery religion where you do good deeds to get into Heaven. Even when Kennedy was elected, he had to fight allegations that he was receiving his orders from Vatican City, like all good Papists do.

you don't know much about the hispanic rights movement, i guess, because it was a hell of a lot more complicated than that

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Reading twitter is great. Its one half maudlin, "we did it mates!!!! Give it a few to air out the yanks will work with us." And the other half suoer depressed at how irrelevent the UK became overnight.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Hammerite posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36636853

the economy is imploding. all thanks to the conservative party, the party that knows how to take care of the economy

Has anyone said "BritCoin" yet?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OB_Juan posted:

"Britcoin"

Please uprate me and send cash to my patreon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
lmao the Leave architects have no clue how to proceed now and they didn't even get rid of those pesky brown people that idiots are so ascared of

wonderful; I love it

glad I don't live in the UK though

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So the pound is down like two cents, does this matter to most people?

Also I am too lazy to look, but what did the world markets look like the day after 9/11?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is single handedly going to make my retirement in 30 years soooo much easier.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is single handedly going to make my retirement in 30 years soooo much easier.

How, did you just invest $50k or something?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

probably not but it's fun to join the hysteria :derp:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Also I am too lazy to look, but what did the world markets look like the day after 9/11?

Well the pound was at the same point in 2008. So if that helps?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

How, did you just invest $50k or something?

Basically yeah.

Aug 4, 2010

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

So... can I buy Britain with some sock money yet?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

thats a misleading graph which is why you saw it on so many news sites.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Basically yeah.

How did you have $50k just sitting around?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bongwizzard posted:

Markets (US at least) were closed for like a week after 9/11.

There's no chance this is as bad as 9/11, and unlikely (for Americans :D) to be as bad as 2008.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bongwizzard posted:

Pretty hot.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

That Works posted:

Pretty hot.

Holy poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

How did you have $50k just sitting around?

Well, it was in my Trad IRA, which I gamble with all the time, so I liquidated some stuff just before Brexit. It was actually closer to $35k.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

OB_Juan posted:

Isn't that saying the opposite? Like 1 euro buys less of the sterling which means it's actually stronger against the euro now?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Isn't that saying the opposite? Like 1 euro buys less of the sterling which means it's actually stronger against the euro now?

you're not reading it right

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, it was in my Trad IRA, which I gamble with all the time, so I liquidated some stuff just before Brexit. It was actually closer to $35k.

Curious what you bought. I moved most of my 401k to cash late last year, seems like this would be a good spot to buy in.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Well the pound was at the same point in 2008. So if that helps?

2008 was the first year I made more then $50k so it will always be a year of great financial success to me.

Also I guess I was under the impression that currencies fluctuated a cent or two daily for some reason.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

:redass:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Good.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sound posted:

Curious what you bought. I moved most of my 401k to cash late last year, seems like this would be a good spot to buy in.

Why are you liquidating and playing around with it?? What if the market went up a few percentage points while your savings were liquid?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

you're not reading it right

Yeah it's kind of confusingly labeled so idgi, "How many dollars 1E buys" went from 1.5 to 1.35 so I would read that as previously you could get 1.5 for 1 and now you can only get 1.35 for 1 which would mean the euro got weaker but that goes against what I've previously seen so I dunno.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

Why are you liquidating and playing around with it?? What if the market went up a few percentage points while your savings were liquid?

What if the market went down a few percentage points???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

first of all that's the pound sign not the euro sign and second of all if a pound was worth 1.5 dollars and now it's worth 1.3 dollars that means it's worth less, do you get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sound posted:

A chunk of Barclay ADR, another good chunk into FSRBX (its a US banking sector fund), and then the rest in spatterings of other UK and German ADRs. I'm comfortable losing a ton/all of this though, so don't think I'm giving you advice or anything. I'm being extremely aggressive.

Michael Scott posted:

Oh, just for this reason. It's not all of my retirement money or anything like that. I've got a pension, 401k, ROTH, and this traditional IRA. My Trad is where I take all my big risks and this felt like a good one to me.

edit:
Just noticed you weren't asking me that. Yeah, liquidating an entire 401k and leaving it as cash seems a bit odd. Unless you just rolled it over into an IRA or something.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 27, 2016

• Locked thread