Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
At least having one be captured means you can rescue them later! :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Thats the plan :D Ive lost like 10 people so far, Im just spamming new recruits as grenadiers so my core group can sponge the XP.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
If y'wanna put suppression on like everything you can use this mod I extracted out of work for Guerrilla War's Tactical stuff:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707754113

There's animation fix mods out there and an AI tree mod out there that makes it work with advent too.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Maluco Marinero posted:

If y'wanna put suppression on like everything you can use this mod I extracted out of work for Guerrilla War's Tactical stuff:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707754113

There's animation fix mods out there and an AI tree mod out there that makes it work with advent too.

Looks promising, but anything that 'uses the entire magazine' is death with Grimy's Attrition, which limits ammo.

As an aside, I think I found out why PCS wasnt dropping. One of my mods means I need to skulljack to get it :D

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a mod that will show me how far I can move up without triggering a pod I can see from scouting? I know the bullseye on their name appears if they can see the square but pod range seems to have it's own mechanic.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Bhodi posted:

Is there a mod that will show me how far I can move up without triggering a pod I can see from scouting? I know the bullseye on their name appears if they can see the square but pod range seems to have it's own mechanic.

They should be the same mechanic. Just try to be aware of any squares you cross on the way to your final spot, and if you're ending in cover be mindful of the squares adjacent to it because they count too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

many johnnys posted:

They should be the same mechanic. Just try to be aware of any squares you cross on the way to your final spot, and if you're ending in cover be mindful of the squares adjacent to it because they count too.
So nothing highlighting those squares, or modifying the concealed move to specifically avoid those squares? it's really annoying.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Concealed move will path you around detected squares until you pick a square too far for to route you around, then it will path you straight through whTever.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bhodi posted:

So nothing highlighting those squares, or modifying the concealed move to specifically avoid those squares? it's really annoying.

If you're out of concealment no, the line of sight preview (the little crosshair next to enemies) lags slightly so is not the best for route planning, it's better to use LOS Preview: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636724652 as it doesn't lag and can show you all the squares that enemy can see.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Bhodi posted:

Right, although like the other poster said, it'll path around revealing squares that you're aware of if possible. There's also a way to set waypoints if you'd rather path a certain way, though I forget how. Shift right click maybe?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

many johnnys posted:

Right, although like the other poster said, it'll path around revealing squares that you're aware of if possible. There's also a way to set waypoints if you'd rather path a certain way, though I forget how. Shift right click maybe?

Yeah, waypointing is in there and works great, Ctrl left click to set points, then release ctrl and right click for the final destination.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've beaten the game twice without knowing a single goddamn thing about the waypoint system :psyduck:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've beaten the game twice without knowing a single goddamn thing about the waypoint system :psyduck:

If you're paying attention it's not really needed that often. However when it can be useful, it's very useful.

Also :xcom: moment: Two soldiers get poisoned by a viper, each has 2 HP and there are no medpacks (it's early days, I feel flashbangs are more valuable than medpacks when you're fielding mostly rookies). Move them out of the poison cloud, kill the viper, end turn. Soldier A ticks poison, doesn't heal. Welp, he's dead. Soldier B ticks poisons but heals...and then panics and runs right back into the poison cloud at 1 HP.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If people are going to be dead from ticking damage next turn anyway, just evac them. They're out of the mission regardless but at least you won't lose a soldier. They can also use both actions and still evac as long as they end in the evac zone, so you can still get off a parting shot or grenade with them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish the vipers couldn't do a grab attack AND poison cloud in the same turn. Doubling up on offense like that is a pain in the rear end, especially since the poison will always hit.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish the vipers couldn't do a grab attack AND poison cloud in the same turn. Doubling up on offense like that is a pain in the rear end, especially since the poison will always hit.

I thought the same thing. Then, I met the Archon King and now a 8 hp ayy is something I just glance at

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Should I buy this game if I loved Xcom1? What about the DLC? How's the modding?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Azran posted:

Should I buy this game if I loved Xcom1? What about the DLC? How's the modding?

If you liked EU/EW yes, but be aware the Firaxis crew came up with new ways to piss you off/screw you over. On the other hand, they also gave you piles of shiny toys to deal with said irritants and procedural maps.

DLC is a mix of cosmetics and alien rulers (which fit in the new ways to screw you over category, but come with shiny toys to fight them with).

Modding is loving FANTASTIC! :swoon: The game is fully Steamworks integrated with a powerful devkit given to the players.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, speaking as a modder there is a ton of flexibility available to us, and while it may take some time for us to figure out the right way to do things there should be some pretty deece full overhauls out there in the future.

As it stands don't expect a well balanced long war esque overhaul yet though, right now your best experience would be a mix and match balanced to taste, most mods are built with heaps of config options. Anything aiming to be a full overhaul is at best alpha right now, and they're trying to figure out what they're standing for too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do you still get achievements if you have mods active?

Also I asked earlier, can you hack the same mech twice?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Achievements work with mods.

Hacking, disorienting, etc things twice for chaining often doesn't work because XCOM doesn't reapply existing effects if they're not stacking.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maluco Marinero posted:

Hacking, disorienting, etc things twice for chaining often doesn't work because XCOM doesn't reapply existing effects if they're not stacking.

OH sorry i meant like if you hack a Mech, it runs out, can you re-hack it?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
You should be able to yeah, but you have to wait til it wears off to try usually.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Theres also mods to keep them hacked! :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You guys must be pretty bad, I've been watching this guy, beagle something, and he never gets hit.

Watching his entire squad land all the overwatch shots and having half of them regularly crit is causing me to rend my shirts while wailing and gnashing my teeth.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Watching his entire squad land all the overwatch shots and having half of them regularly crit is causing me to rend my shirts while wailing and gnashing my teeth.

Really, holy poo poo. There must be something weird with his game, I've never seen anyone so lucky. I mean, he's a good player, he's pretty good, but when I play XCOM my overwatch traps are almost always frustrated, to the point where I don't even do it anymore (hit one, grenade them when they scatter to remove cover).

By the way, speaking of which. I installed two mods (Increased Enemy Squad Size and Success-based Dynamic Force Level) and even on Veteran it makes the game hilariously hard. I recommend this combination to any masochists out there, but I'm gonna have to disable one of them or the game becomes unplayable (at least for me, and I'm not THAT bad at it, I managed to finish Ironman Commander).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Maluco Marinero posted:

You can chain disorient things. i.e. Turn 1, I flashbang some dudes, then enemy turn happens, Turn 2, guys are still disoriented, I flashbang them again, enemy turn happens and disorientation does not wear off, Turn 3 hits, enemies are still disoriented.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I didn't kill the beserker queen but somehow the Archon King spawned anyway (I haven't killed him either yet). I wonder if the BQ will come back so I can research her...

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Also, a lot of beagle's runs probably go late into the game, when his soldiers have high hit or weapon augments; overwatch becomes a much more reliable tool when your units have captain/major stats. Also, overwatch out of concealment has no penalties, which is why setting an overwatch trap to bust the first pod is good.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://plays.tv/video/57713bc45ea314129b/stealth-is-my-middle-name-?from=user

I am steadily building up a terrible hatred for civilians standing around a corner. They've popped two of my guerilla ops now. Luckily these aren't hard ops to recover from since I can just hack from like 12 tiles away but what if that poo poo happens on a 5 round Extract VIP mission? :v

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NTT posted:

I am steadily building up a terrible hatred for civilians standing around a corner. They've popped two of my guerilla ops now. Luckily these aren't hard ops to recover from since I can just hack from like 12 tiles away but what if that poo poo happens on a 5 round Extract VIP mission? :v

I had one guy standing behind a sign, completely hidden from me, one tile outside of starting vision range.

gently caress that guy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NTT posted:

Perfect soldier line too!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I made my brother into an XCOM character and he died in the most interesting way. And by interesting I mean got ganged on by 3 seperate species of alien. First he got Stuned by a Stun Lancer, then he got pulled into to motorboat a sweet set of snake tits and then he triggered a Faceless Monstrosity who then proceeded to kill him.

:xcom: I ain't even mad at that.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

NTT posted:

Also, a lot of beagle's runs probably go late into the game, when his soldiers have high hit or weapon augments; overwatch becomes a much more reliable tool when your units have captain/major stats. Also, overwatch out of concealment has no penalties, which is why setting an overwatch trap to bust the first pod is good.

Absolutely this. I find that I'm unconsciously using overwatch more now than I did in EU/EW, even beyond the first pod; did they remove the aim penalty?

It's easy to forget how much of a difference the stat increases from promotions make when you've got consistent A and B teams that are all around the same rank. I've been mixing in a squaddie (I love being able to train rookies directly into a class) or two into easier missions and it's jarring how big the difference is even from Sq. to Sgt.

And I also had a reminder that sometimes :xcom: happens to the other side. My (now Major) blademaster got two kills and almost a third when ADVENT reinforcements landed, triggered a shotgun blast on overwatch, and then ran right by him for free melee hits. It was glorious.

I imagined the VTOL pilot getting back home and heading to the SomethingADVENT forums to bitch about how unfair it is that this rear end in a top hat wiped their squad even though they hadn't activated the pod yet.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Laaaame. Why would hacking an MEC reveal my entire squad?! What an oversight.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jastiger posted:

Laaaame. Why would hacking an MEC reveal my entire squad?! What an oversight.

Why wouldn't it?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Because hacking a turret doesn't, and you might easily assume the rule was the same.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mzbundifund posted:

Because hacking a turret doesn't, and you might easily assume the rule was the same.

This, and since the MEC can't move the same turn its hacked, why would the enemies know where your ENTIRE squad is. They could go into alert, but not know where you are.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jastiger posted:

This, and since the MEC can't move the same turn its hacked, why would the enemies know where your ENTIRE squad is. They could go into alert, but not know where you are.

Now when you say hacked do you mean shut down or controlled? Because if it's controlled then it's a member of your squad even if it can't act and enemies know where your whole squad is if they can see a single member of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FoolyCharged posted:

Now when you say hacked do you mean shut down or controlled? Because if it's controlled then it's a member of your squad even if it can't act and enemies know where your whole squad is if they can see a single member of it.

The second one. I am always ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL on MECS. That makes sense to a point though, but I wish they'd have thought of that when it comes to revealing the whole squad.