Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr. Pumroy posted:

also why the gently caress is trump campaigning in maine jesus christ

he really wanted a lobster roll

anyone have a better explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

are they straight up claiming that the video didn't even exist now?

Which video is this?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mirthless posted:

He is a moron and his campaign is run by other morons.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Mirthless posted:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/746904825728753664

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/747485233767923713

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

obligatory

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Which video is this?

"The Innocence of Muslims," a very shoddily-made "movie" with a production budget of like a couple nickels that features Muhammad as a comical rapist chasing women around tables and such.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

even if he raise as much sick campaign dosh as he said what is the point if he keeps spending it doing dumb poo poo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GobiasIndustries posted:

Which video is this?

The Innocence of Muslims

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Which video is this?

The one that made Benghazi happen (that actually did at least in part spark the protests that happened at the same time in Cairo and a few other places or some poo poo and probably also Benghazi and that were used as cover for the attack. Or something.)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GobiasIndustries posted:

Which video is this?

There was some insane anti-islamic propaganda video that somebody in the US was putting out that year, the trailer had hit for it on youtube that week and there were a lot of protests across the arab world. It was a boneheaded thing for her to say (Really, really boneheaded) but the video in question was pretty offensive, as was the movie it was attached to

I'm not going to unskew it but something feels off about those results given Maine's traditional leanings. Is there a trend of polling like this, or is it an outlier?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
even if he's got a chance in that one district is it really worth it to be going after that 1EV?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jesus is this 42%undecided?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, that video. Why is she bri...Benghazi, never mind.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Trump may have realized he can't win the normal way so he's trying to shoot the moon and win with a crazy map like Romney + CO + IA + WI + OH + PA + NH + ME2. Something like that.

Or else he's just doing random things like he always does.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
this is a fun article
https://twitter.com/politico/status/747486179185033217

quote:

“I am not attending,” said South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy
“I’m not,” said South Carolina Rep. Mark Sanford, a former two-term governor. “But hope you have a good Thursday!”
“Don’t know,” said Sean Duffy, a reality-TV-star-turned-Wisconsin congressman, “I haven’t thought about it.”
Florida Rep. Carlos Curbelo: "I won't be there.”
New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte “is not attending the convention,”
Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner “is not attending the convention,”
South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham: “He announced back in May he's not attending.”
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley: “The governor has not been asked to speak at the convention and has no plans to.”
Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn: “There are no plans for him to speak.”
New York Rep. Elise Stefanik, a rising star who helped to write the GOP platform at the 2012 convention, “will be in her district working for her constituents and not attending the convention,”
Oklahoma Rep. Steve Russell, a former Army lieutenant colonel who helped capture Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, “has no plans to be a speaker at the convention,”
North Carolina Rep. Richard Hudson, who’s frequently talked about as a potential future statewide candidate, “won’t be at the convention.”
Mia Love, the charismatic Utah rep seen by many as the GOP’s future, is skipping Cleveland for a trip to Israel. "I don't see any upsides to it,"
Nebraska Ben Sasse, who’s said he won’t vote for the real estate mogul, isn’t expected to be at Cleveland.
Utah Sen. Mike Lee, another outspoken Trump critic who will be serving on the convention’s powerful Rules Committee, hasn’t been asked to speak,
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who recently changed his mind and announced a reelection bid, has said it’s unlikely he’ll be asked to speak — but if he did, it wouldn’t be on Trump’s behalf.
the GOP leaders in charge of maintaining the party’s congressional majorities — Mississippi Sen. Roger Wicker and Oregon Rep. Greg Walden — wouldn’t say whether they’d take the podium.

Among the pols staying mum on their convention plans? Those playing host. Ohio Sen. Rob Portman will attend the convention and host several events in Cleveland over the course of the week. But a spokesman, Kevin Smith, said “no announcements” had yet been made on whether he would speak.
A spokesman for Ohio Gov. John Kasich, a Trump primary rival who has pointedly refused to endorse the presumptive nominee, declined to comment on whether he wanted to deliver a speech.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zelder posted:

Maine has some of the wealthiest & whitest liberals in the country so I imagine there are some crotchety BorBers that haven't made up their minds yet just admitted to themselves they're going to hold their nose whether they like Hillary or not

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Mirthless posted:

There was some insane anti-islamic propaganda video that somebody in the US was putting out that year, the trailer had hit for it on youtube that week and there were a lot of protests across the arab world. It was a boneheaded thing for her to say (Really, really boneheaded) but the video in question was pretty offensive, as was the movie it was attached to

It wasn't that boneheaded. Like 50 people died in the protests that WERE about that movie. It just probably didn't spur the attacks in Benghazi, as far as I know.

https://www.rt.com/news/rally-pakistan-movie-us-297/

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

I was just about to say something. Is this angry former Bernie supporters or just hatred of both candidates?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mirthless posted:

it was also what the cia briefed her as the catalyst for the attack- don't know if i'd call it bone-headed

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Reminder that Maine is a bit crazy. See the 1992 results:

B. Clinton (D)....38.8%
R. Perot (I)....30.4%
G.H.W. Bush (R)....30.4% (yes, in third place)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Defiance posted:

It wasn't that boneheaded. Like 50 people died in the protests that WERE about that movie. It just probably didn't spur the attacks in Benghazi, as far as I know.

https://www.rt.com/news/rally-pakistan-movie-us-297/

Necc0 posted:

it was also what the cia briefed her as the catalyst for the attack- don't know if i'd call it bone-headed

Representatives from the white house shouldn't go on record as directly blaming a terrorist attack on somebody exercising their freedom of speech. It was a boneheaded thing for her to say, especially given she was going to be running for president in four years.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Joementum posted:

Donald Trump will be campaigning in Bangor, Maine on Wednesday.

:psyduck:

This has to be one of the worst presidential campaigns of all time, holy poo poo. The miniscule campaign staff, the complete lack of fundraising, loving off to Scotland for a week, and now he's campaigning in loving rural Maine? Why would you possibly do that? How does that idea even come up?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
He may be banking on building enough enthusiasm by visiting a state usually ignored by Republicans he can flip it.

He's wrong of course. Maine 2 if anything is libertarian, not Republican and for every 1 vote he gets in it he's going to lose 2 in the 1st district which is about as ascot-wearing, wine sipping, summer home having New England as you can get.

If he was smart it MIGHT be a good strategy for him to do a bus tour through Northern New England, then to Albany, then to Pennsylvania.

He's obviously flying home after his Bangor rally though so lol.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Where's the variable number tandem repeat length certificate?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/747496608372228096

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pook Good Mook posted:

He may be banking on building enough enthusiasm by visiting a state usually ignored by Republicans he can flip it.

He's wrong of course. Maine 2 if anything is libertarian, not Republican and for every 1 vote he gets in it he's going to lose 2 in the 1st district which is about as ascot-wearing, wine sipping, summer home having New England as you can get.

If he was smart it MIGHT be a good strategy for him to do a bus tour through Northern New England, then to Albany, then to Pennsylvania.

The only state that voted for Obama by a greater margin of victory in 2012 than New York was Vermont (and Wash DC).

E: Forgot Hawaii. Well anyway the point is no candidate is gonna be in NY this year unless it's to raise money.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 27, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'll guarantee you those polling numbers have more to do with Sanders' popularity in the region than Trump's popularity over Hillary, in any event. There is no way Trump flips Maine, lol, it's really impossible

Maine is one of the whitest states in the country, it'd be a bad bet to base anything off Obama's performance there in 2012 considering he lost whites nationwide by 20 points. Obama winning with 53% of the vote should be a pretty clear sign the state is not in play. 6 points is a lot of room to have to make up in a short period of time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
HAahhahahaha Scott Brown so salty

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Mirthless posted:

I'm not going to unskew it but something feels off about those results given Maine's traditional leanings. Is there a trend of polling like this, or is it an outlier?

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2902368/DataTablePresidential.pdf

this is the source for that poll and unless I am reading it wrong they put the wrong data on there / mislabeled it

clinton's favorability is 28% and trump's is 30% in the 2nd CD

the presidential vote polling in 2nd CD is 37% Trump 36% Clinton 23% Other 4% Undecided

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

bqhatevwr

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I hope Hillary makes a serious play in AZ, now that would be a smart move.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trouble is lepage won a three way race so that's a lot less predictive.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Slate Action posted:

The last Republican to win Maine was George H.W. Bush, who also won: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Vermont. (Plus 32 other states)

He then lost it in his bid for re-election. It is famously the only state where Ross Perot finished second, relegating Bush to third party status.

edit: I was wrong Perot also finished second in Utah.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mannerup posted:

this is the source for that poll and unless I am reading it wrong they put the wrong data on there / mislabeled it

the presidential vote polling in 2nd CD is 37% Trump 36% Clinton 23% Other 4% Undecided

favorability :jerkbag: Figured it was something like that. the 23/4 other/undecided split on the actual election polling is probably overwhelmingly leaning D given Maine's voting history. Trump's dumb and is squandering his money, this shouldn't surprise me but somehow it still does

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Slate Action posted:

I hope Hillary makes a serious play in AZ, now that would be a smart move.

Yeah, Trump is so vulnerable in some of the GOP stronghold states, winning AZ may be a long shot for her but if she campaigns there she forces him to spend money defending the state, and considering her fundraising advantage and the size of her ground game she can afford to do it. I really hope we start seeing her campaigning in these places.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ha. You really can't see why Trump can't win? Did Wasserman care to notice that Maine elects governors on non-Presidential election years?

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 27, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

mannerup posted:

also the moe for that district would be like 6.5%

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HappyHippo posted:

even if he's got a chance in that one district is it really worth it to be going after that 1EV?

That's not the point. The point is giving a rally where there are people who love him so he can feel loved and say he did rallies and felt like he was #winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

Donald Trump will be campaigning in Bangor, Maine on Wednesday.

Bangor, hardly knew' er!

But seriously why is Trump spending time in Maine. Shouldn't he be out in like Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida...?

• Locked thread