Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

These Loving Eyes posted:

Any recent strategy action RPGs that scratch the same itch as, say, Sid Meier's Pirates and Mount & Blade? I gave Rebel Galaxy a go based on goon recommendations, but I found it too barebones and repetitive for my tastes. My biggest gripe was the combat, which offered too little variation no matter how you upgraded your load-out.

Blood and Gold is literally Mount & Blade pirate edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm going on holiday soon and am looking for some iPad game recommendations. As well as for the plane journey, I want something I can pick up for 30 mins or so every so often, and it has to be offline. I play a lot of Hearthstone and that would have been perfect but I might not have data access.

I won't say what my usual tastes are since this is a good chance to try more general recommendations.
80 Days.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rorac posted:

I've been playing a lot of Infinite Space lately, and I've gotten a sci-fi itch to be a spaceship captain and go exploring. Actually, take about 80% of what doctorfrog is asking for, but apply it in space. Bonus points if I can command a big loving ship, like a cruiser or battleship (eventually. I don't mind working my way up). No storyline is required if I don't want to get involved, just let me gently caress around.

Edit: If anybody has played the tabletop game Traveller, basically that, in video game form.

You could try Starfarer (GoG), Prospector the Roguelike, Ascii Sector (another Roguelike), Elite (modern or classic) or Oolite (Open Source Elite clone).

Though there is a pretty ancient Traveller game.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

TheAnomaly posted:

Blood and Gold is literally Mount & Blade pirate edition.

True, but sadly I've burned myself with M&B and its other stand-alone versions. What I'm searching for is a game in which you amass crew, upgrades and resources and then go wild trading and fighting until there are no stronger enemies to beat nor equipment to upgrade. Even roguelites like FTL can scratch that itch a bit, and I'm tentatively considering giving Death Skid Marks a try. On the other hand, I'd love to play a game in which the combat part was turn-based and tactical rather than real-time with pausing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

These Loving Eyes posted:

True, but sadly I've burned myself with M&B and its other stand-alone versions. What I'm searching for is a game in which you amass crew, upgrades and resources and then go wild trading and fighting until there are no stronger enemies to beat nor equipment to upgrade. Even roguelites like FTL can scratch that itch a bit, and I'm tentatively considering giving Death Skid Marks a try. On the other hand, I'd love to play a game in which the combat part was turn-based and tactical rather than real-time with pausing.

You should check out Starsector then. It's pretty similar to Mount and Blade in basic formula but its SPACESHIPS (real time with pause though, but very cool and good).

Less so is the old SPAZ (space pirates and zombies), which is fun but also kinda brainless.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Rorac posted:

I've been playing a lot of Infinite Space lately, and I've gotten a sci-fi itch to be a spaceship captain and go exploring. Actually, take about 80% of what doctorfrog is asking for, but apply it in space. Bonus points if I can command a big loving ship, like a cruiser or battleship (eventually. I don't mind working my way up). No storyline is required if I don't want to get involved, just let me gently caress around.

Edit: If anybody has played the tabletop game Traveller, basically that, in video game form.

Starpoint Gemini 2 : you'll love it!

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Playing lots of Fallen London has gotten me interested in MUDs. I'm particulary interested in well realized, well written settings and detailed character building. Exploration and rising from nothing to something are of particular interest. Any recommendations?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

Playing lots of Fallen London has gotten me interested in MUDs. I'm particulary interested in well realized, well written settings and detailed character building. Exploration and rising from nothing to something are of particular interest. Any recommendations?

Achaea, Dreams of Divine Lands. Full stop. Multiple city states all in a constant political drama, all government positions held by humans. You can not even be max level, and by roleplay and clever gameplay become a major player in the world. I played it for years and still miss it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there an FPS where you can set up battles with different weapons available to each side, and lots of customizability? Like Counterstrike when you set up a game with knife-only bots, but more sophisticated.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks for the reccommendations. I do have starsector, but there's a far few games listed I haven't even heard of, I'll be giving them a look through.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Can anyone recommend me a good economic/managerial/business sim? It can be dry as a bone and number crunchy, I do not mind that at all. Should be something new though, I know (and in parts, played to death) all the classics.

E: Oh also please no online stuff, I'm allergic

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 24, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any recommendations for a real time empire building game where trade plays as large of a role in gameplay as combat? Dawn of Discovery is about the best example I can think of (except that its combat is pretty terrible). I like setting up supply chains, creating trade routes and then defending said routes from pirates and other nations.

By comparison the Total War games or Civ V, while not being real time, are good examples of trading that's fairly one dimensional and not what I'm looking for. X3 would be right up my alley if the interface wasn't so horrific.

e: Bonus points if it involves a navy of some sort I can command on the high seas.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 25, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Europa Universalis IV? Trade is perhaps not as important as combat in general, but you can build towards becoming a trading powerhouse.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Europa Universalis IV? Trade is perhaps not as important as combat in general, but you can build towards becoming a trading powerhouse.

I really, really want to like that game, but I just can't get past the massive level of abstraction on everything. I at least need to see little dudes walking around a map doing things.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I really loved the stronghold quests in Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as the castle building system in Suikoden 2. I've played Pillars of Eternity and Blood and Wine, and found their stronghold mechanics somewhat perfunctory.

What are good non strategy games with awesome base building mechanics/sidequests?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

prometheusbound2 posted:

I really loved the stronghold quests in Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as the castle building system in Suikoden 2. I've played Pillars of Eternity and Blood and Wine, and found their stronghold mechanics somewhat perfunctory.

What are good non strategy games with awesome base building mechanics/sidequests?

Exit Fate is a good, free JRPG-esque game, heavily influenced by Suikoden 2. Castle refitting, occasional world-map strategy things, 75 recruitable characters each with their own place/function in the castle, great writing, etc'

Also its free and ~40 hrs long

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

kedo posted:

I really, really want to like that game, but I just can't get past the massive level of abstraction on everything. I at least need to see little dudes walking around a map doing things.

The Anno games could be so much what you're looking for, the land based combat is usually such a small part of the game compared to the trade and occasional ship combat.

The only problem is the Empire you control is a few islands in the carribean, not world spanning.

e: herp, Dawn of Discovery IS Anno. soory.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 26, 2016

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Here's my current Steam Wishlist. What on here should be moved to my shopping cart, and what should be deleted for all eternity?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Superhot's not that good. Fun gimmick, two hours long and doesn't really do anything interesting with it after the first few levels

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

The Anno games could be so much what you're looking for, the land based combat is usually such a small part of the game compared to the trade and occasional ship combat.

The only problem is the Empire you control is a few islands in the carribean, not world spanning.

e: herp, Dawn of Discovery IS Anno. soory.

Haha, yeah they're almost exactly what I'm looking for, but I've played them to death. Thanks though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Superhot's not that good. Fun gimmick, two hours long and doesn't really do anything interesting with it after the first few levels

Counterpoint, it's a really fun puzzle fps. 10 bucks would be better than 20 but it's still worth a but.

Alris posted:

Here's my current Steam Wishlist. What on here should be moved to my shopping cart, and what should be deleted for all eternity?

Doom is really good and Endless Legend is really good. If nothing else grab those two.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Seconding this. I'd wait for a deeper price cut, unless you're comfortable with $20 for a two hour long game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
SUPERHOT is probably overpriced even on sale but it is absolutely excellent for what it is the most innovative shooter I've played in years. In a year when it is going for $10 or less it will be a must-buy. I enjoyed it enough that I felt I got my money's worth at full price but it is short and I can see how it would be a frustrating price point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Police Automaton posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good economic/managerial/business sim? It can be dry as a bone and number crunchy, I do not mind that at all. Should be something new though, I know (and in parts, played to death) all the classics.

Play any sports management sims? I assume so. There's a big soccer/football one, and a baseball one. Sorry, the only business sims I've been able to get into are X3, and Dope Wars.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Recommend me a game to reconnect with friends! Something multiplayer, online, maybe strategy/tactics, if possible cooperative. PC, web or smartphones.

Our biggest gaming project was a clan on Travian, a browser-based strategy game. It was great but as you progressed and had more and more villages, you had to spend proportionally more time to manage resources, armies, and buildings and it became a burden. A few guys are these days playing Clash of Clans which is in a way a simpler and more polished version of Travian but I don't like it.

I like Hearthstone and if it had some sort of cooperative multiplayer and clan ladder it would be perfect. Something that you can dive deep into, but at the same time it won't punish you if you don't log in every day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is $2.50 now on the Steam sale and has great puzzley platformery adventure co-op.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Looks great but it's for one or two players only and doesn't have online multiplayer yet. I'm looking for something that 5-6 people can play together, preferably as a group against other groups or AI.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
5 people playing a game together against others smells like Dota to me but you might not want to jump down that particular abyss. Overwatch is 6v6 and very fun, plus it's pretty approachable for people with little FPS experience.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doctor Malaver posted:

Recommend me a game to reconnect with friends! Something multiplayer, online, maybe strategy/tactics, if possible cooperative. PC, web or smartphones.

Our biggest gaming project was a clan on Travian, a browser-based strategy game. It was great but as you progressed and had more and more villages, you had to spend proportionally more time to manage resources, armies, and buildings and it became a burden. A few guys are these days playing Clash of Clans which is in a way a simpler and more polished version of Travian but I don't like it.

I like Hearthstone and if it had some sort of cooperative multiplayer and clan ladder it would be perfect. Something that you can dive deep into, but at the same time it won't punish you if you don't log in every day.

This is a pretty vague request, can you be a bit more specific? I get the feeling that you are looking for some kind of F2P MMO type game, but I also noticed all the games you listed have basically zero system requirements so I'm guessing that's a factor. Something simple enough to be played and enjoyed by basically anybody, but with hidden depth if you look for it? I sat down and tried to think of something but all I came up with was heavily monetized phone games like Clash of Clans.

While I have never played it because they aren't really my thing, I can tell you that I've known two separate people that were addicted to War Commander. One of them was a heroin addict, and the other was my dad. I saw they have a followup on Steam called Vega Conflict which appears to be exactly the same thing but in space. Neither the heroin addict or my dad ever paid a single cent in War Commander during the hundreds of hours they poured into it and were quite proud of that fact. My dad eventually stopped playing because he was getting too into it, doing things like making multiple accounts to do whatever the gently caress goes on in that game, which is pretty funny if you know my dad. As for the heroin addict, well.... I don't talk to him anymore but I assume he still plays it.

HMS Boromir posted:

5 people playing a game together against others smells like Dota to me but you might not want to jump down that particular abyss. Overwatch is 6v6 and very fun, plus it's pretty approachable for people with little FPS experience.

I'm not a fan of MOBAs either, but if I had to recommend one it would be Heroes of the Storm. Especially for groups with wildly varying levels of skill.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks for suggestions so far. I'll look into Vega Conflict some more.

I'm not looking for a DOTA clone or a RTS because it would require everyone to be online at the same time. It's a pain in the rear end to schedule with kids, jobs, you know. The ideal game would allow you to set production, send troops or whatever your moves are at any time of day. Turn based, I guess. I used to enjoy Hattrick, a soccer manager that has only two or three matches per week. You can't really play with friends though, you get thrown in a random league so you might encounter them in official matches only by chance.

Sorry if my ideas are all over the place. I don't care that much about the setting - fantasy, space, WWII, sports (would prefer no anime though) - as long as game mechanics accommodate a group of busy adults with different schedules.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Doctor Malaver posted:

You're bad at Travian. :colbert: The real way to play Travian is to manipulate the tryhards into doing something stupid. I once made the two strongest alliances on a server (one was a quarter-of-the-map style thing, the other was 15 or so accounts with thousands of dollars each on various boosts, and several players per account to keep raiding 24/7) go to war just by "leaking" to a couple of dudes on each side that the other alliance is trying to persuade our leaders to join in on a sneak attack on them. Didn't have to spend a dime, and I got to listen to the tune of ten thousand $$$ going up in flames.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Can anyone recommend some PC third-person action games with good combat? They're usually RPGs but I'm not bothered if they aren't.

I've played and liked Dark Souls 1/2/3, Witcher 1/2/3, and DD:DA. I loved Skyrim but thought the combat was awful, and liked KoA: Reckoning a lot more than I thought I would.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/God of War on PC.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hampig posted:

Can anyone recommend some PC third-person action games with good combat? They're usually RPGs but I'm not bothered if they aren't.

The Arkham series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hampig posted:

I've played and liked Dark Souls 1/2/3, Witcher 1/2/3, and DD:DA. I loved Skyrim but thought the combat was awful, and liked KoA: Reckoning a lot more than I thought I would.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything like Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/God of War on PC.

If you liked Bayonetta then you'll also probably like MGR: Revengeance or Transformers: Devastation as they are both Platinum games.

On the RPG side, Shadow of Mordor has some of the best combat in that UnArkham's Creed 3rd person style. Just don't use the DLC runes that come with the GOTY edition because it makes you incredibly OP right from level one.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

hampig posted:

Darksiders is 80% off at Steam right now. Imagine if God of War had 90% less QTEs and a Zelda style overworld + dungeons structure.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Police Automaton posted:

Have you tried Offworld Trading Company?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hampig posted:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition is on Steam, as is DMC. Just ignore the PC version of Devil May Cry 3. It's an old, super janky port.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is supposed to be a really fun, budget God of War style game. There's also the first Castlevania Lords of Shadow game.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Despite being a Korean MMO the combat in Black Desert Online is really fun. If your sword doesn't make contact with the enemy the hit doesn't land, it's very reminiscent of a Devil May Cry mixed with Dynasty Warriors and some God of War thrown in. However despite having the best combat I've seen in an MMO the game seems to inexplicably be about crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

hampig posted:

Shadows of Mordor and Batman Arkham Asylum and City are all excellent third person action, I'd highly recommend all three.