Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Doubling down on a "white as hell" strategy is Trump's only moonshot chance to win the thing.

It's inefficient and weird (see: dumb), but there is a method to the madness I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, Trump is so vulnerable in some of the GOP stronghold states, winning AZ may be a long shot for her but if she campaigns there she forces him to spend money defending the state, and considering her fundraising advantage and the size of her ground game she can afford to do it. I really hope we start seeing her campaigning in these places.

This was a big hidden bonus of having Obama do a 50 state campaign in 2008. There's value in going to states you don't typically expect to win so you can get the local party excited and introduce some up and comer on stage with you.

Part of the reason why the Republican party in California is such a piece of poo poo (other than demographics) is because it's never relevant so the Presidential campaigns don't have events and don't combine forces on the ad buys to help out the local politicians. It's noteworthy that the last Republican governor the state had was famous and had name recognition.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ha. You really can't see why Trump can't win? Did Wasserman care to notice that Maine elects governors on non-Presidential election years/

also worth noting that many solidly Democratic states still routinely elect republicans into governor's offices because wealthy white people still want to minimize their tax burden, the Democrats just look to the state to shoulder the weight instead of The State

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Schnorkles posted:

there is a method to the madness I think

with trump im not so sure

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

HappyHippo posted:

with trump im not so sure

Well, typically, candidates doing things like this mean that they have internal polling that puts the state within range. Trump has no internal polling other than NY ( :v: Duchess!! ) so yeah, there may not be a method to the madness.

Also: news people going " :byodood: HILLARY ISN'T SPENDING ANY MONEY IN PENNSYLVANIA, SHE'S GOIGN TO GET CREAMED!!1!" handily ignores that they probably have pennsylvania polled up down and sidewise and are likely not worried in the slightest.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Schnorkles posted:

Also: news people going " :byodood: HILLARY ISN'T SPENDING ANY MONEY IN PENNSYLVANIA, SHE'S GOIGN TO GET CREAMED!!1!" handily ignores that they probably have pennsylvania polled up down and sidewise and are likely not worried in the slightest.

One of Hillary's PACs announced a $10.5 million ad buy in PA last week.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Slate Action posted:

One of Hillary's PACs announced a $10.5 million ad buy in PA last week.

There's that too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Well there's certainly some madness, probably meth, and an OD wouldn't shock anyone.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rocks posted:

Bangor, hardly knew' er!

But seriously why is Trump spending time in Maine. Shouldn't he be out in like Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida...?

Trump's entire campaign has been spent doing things he shouldn't do, why start being responsible now?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rocks posted:

But seriously why is Trump spending time in Maine. Shouldn't he be out in like Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida...?

:ssh: maybe he doesn't want to win :ssh:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mirthless posted:

Representatives from the white house shouldn't go on record as directly blaming a terrorist attack on somebody exercising their freedom of speech. It was a boneheaded thing for her to say, especially given she was going to be running for president in four years.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are guaranteed no negative repercussions if you exercise it, you have the right to do something stupid and inflammatory and people, including the government are free to call it stupid and inflammatory and it's just fine as long as they don't actually stop you.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cael posted:

:ssh: maybe he doesn't want to win :ssh:

Uh, excuse me, America doesn't want to win.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

*leans back in chair and cracks a smile up at the sky* ah i fuckin love it when my candidate's PAC drops 10.5 million on ad buys in pennsylvania

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well there's a couple states that, if Trump does not win, he has no path to victory.

It's just that Trump is so far ahead of us all that he realizes that it all comes down to Maine for him.

Clinton and her PACs keep announcing 8 figure ad buys, has Trump bought any time yet? The whole "only slots available to him by the time he starts campaigning will be at 2am on HGTV" joke may be true

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

Well there's a couple states that, if Trump does not win, he has no path to victory.

It's just that Trump is so far ahead of us all that he realizes that it all comes down to Maine for him.

Clinton and her PACs keep announcing 8 figure ad buys, has Trump bought any time yet? The whole "only slots available to him by the time he starts campaigning will be at 2am on HGTV" joke may be true

News media is free, which is his whole strategy so far

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, Trump is so vulnerable in some of the GOP stronghold states, winning AZ may be a long shot for her but if she campaigns there she forces him to spend money defending the state, and considering her fundraising advantage and the size of her ground game she can afford to do it. I really hope we start seeing her campaigning in these places.

also bc of the senate race in AZ where McCain is looking very weak... I wouldn't be surprised to see her focus on it more than otherwise for that reason

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

As far as I can tell, Rebuilding America PAC has bought $1.1M in ads to support their candidate, while the Trump campaign itself has not purchased any.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/us/politics/super-pac-supporting-donald-trump-makes-first-ad-buy-for-general-election.html

I could not find anything later than that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Kasich says he's hasn't been asked and doesn't expect to speak at the convention.

The convention is being held in the state where he is currently Governor.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/744492469589446656

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

John Kasich says he's hasn't been asked and doesn't expect to speak at the convention.

"Did you see him? He has the news conference all the time when he's eating. I have never seen a human being eat in such a disgusting fashion," Trump, 69, told his supporters. "I'm always telling my young son Barron, I’m saying — and I always do it with my kids ... I would say, 'Children, small little bites. Small.' This guy takes a pancake and he's shoving it in his mouth. It's disgusting."

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mirthless posted:

Representatives from the white house shouldn't go on record as directly blaming a terrorist attack on somebody exercising their freedom of speech. It was a boneheaded thing for her to say, especially given she was going to be running for president in four years.

What should they have done instead, then? Just throw up their arms and go 'idk lol those crazy muslims just can't predict 'em sometimes'

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

How dead us the gop and when will it's reincarnation be nationally relevant

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Necc0 posted:

What should they have done instead, then? Just throw up their arms and go 'idk lol those crazy muslims just can't predict 'em sometimes'

Considering the GOP only likes to remind the public of the last part of that particular sentence, yes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Three Olives posted:

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are guaranteed no negative repercussions if you exercise it, you have the right to do something stupid and inflammatory and people, including the government are free to call it stupid and inflammatory and it's just fine as long as they don't actually stop you.

Dylan Roof shot a bunch of people, it wasn't his heavily dogeared copy of the Turner Diaries. The video was worth mentioning in the context of the greater discussion but it wasn't a reason for anything, just an excuse, and even that turned out to be inaccurate. Blaming the video also gave the GOP carte blanche to play the "the white house won't say radical islamic terrorism" card for the next four years. It was a boneheaded move!

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Joementum posted:

Party Status: Unified As gently caress

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

well at least trump is going to try campaigning in the right country this week.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Joementum posted:

Isn't Kasich quite popular in Ohio?

Great plan, Donald. :allears:

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

legit question: if warren becomes VP, is there ANY chance Baker picks Brown to serve as interim Senator?

might this be a false flag to try to convince Hillary to pick the VP that gets under Trump's skin??

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

thethreeman posted:

legit question: if warren becomes VP, is there ANY chance Baker picks Brown to serve as interim Senator?

might this be a false flag to try to convince Hillary to pick the VP that gets under Trump's skin??

Scott Brown probably doesn't think ahead of breakfast much less the election

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Apparently, the convention speaking lineup may not be entirely up to Trump anyway. Although he insists that nobody who hasn't endorsed him will speak, the party rules may just override his decision if the other candidates decide to push it.

quote:

“If there’s no endorsement, then I would not invite them to speak,” Mr. Trump said in an interview, adding that former rivals like Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and Gov. John Kasich of Ohio should not expect to address the convention if they continue to withhold their support.

Mr. Trump insisted in an interview last week that his opponents would fail to derail his nomination. “You mean to tell me we’re going to get the largest vote in the history of the Republican primaries,” he said, “and now the same people that either didn’t run or got beaten in a landslide are going to try and back-end?”

“My supporters are tremendously loyal to me,” he added. “They would not stand for it.”

But the speaking arrangements may not be entirely up to Mr. Trump. Because Mr. Cruz won a majority of delegates in at least eight states, he would probably be able to have his name entered into nomination, guaranteeing him a speech under party rules.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/us/politics/donald-trump-and-rnc-see-common-foe-rogue-delegates.html

So that should be just fine.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The only reason LePage won (twice) is because the liberals here split themselves between a Dem and a left-leaning independent. He won in 2010 with only 38% of the vote. LePage is hated by pretty much everyone but die-hard Republicans, but those dinks were going to vote (R) all the way down the ballot automatically anyway. Trump has almost nothing to gain by him coming here.

But I do. :getin:

Oh, and Bangor is in the middle of rural Maine, but is a liberal bastion. The state's biggest university is right up the road. If he's looking for a place to hold a rally with minimal protests, he may leave disappointed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Depending how inflammatory it is the gov can stop you from saying it or at least put you in jail for saying it

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

thethreeman posted:

Hahahahahahaha no

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Baker is not a stupid person and everyone from here to Freedom knows Brown is a complete waste.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shiksa posted:

Scott Brown probably doesn't think ahead of breakfast much less the election

thethreeman posted:

My understanding is that Scott Brown is from New Hampshire and always has been.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Defiance posted:

Apparently, the convention speaking lineup may not be entirely up to Trump anyway. Although he insists that nobody who hasn't endorsed him will speak, the party rules may just override his decision if the other candidates decide to push it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/us/politics/donald-trump-and-rnc-see-common-foe-rogue-delegates.html

So that should be just fine.

Well, there's also the issue of finding anyone who wants to speak, or even be there.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
He's from NH, but he spent too much time drinking MA water and now the real New Hampshire mountain people think he's a dirty flatlander. :sad:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Railing Kill posted:

The only reason LePage won (twice) is because the liberals here split themselves between a Dem and a left-leaning independent. He won in 2010 with only 38% of the vote. LePage is hated by pretty much everyone but die-hard Republicans, but those dinks were going to vote (R) all the way down the ballot automatically anyway. Trump has almost nothing to gain by him coming here.

But I do. :getin:

Oh, and Bangor is in the middle of rural Maine, but is a liberal bastion. The state's biggest university is right up the road. If he's looking for a place to hold a rally with minimal protests, he may leave disappointed.

Maine has their own Bernie Sanders?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

TheHoosier posted:

wasn't there an early debate where donny said he wanted to "close down parts of the internet" as a weapon against terrorism? gently caress it, flood their digital channels with as much anime tits as robert morrow can muster. internet redeemed

Make Anime Great Again

the best part is when he thought bill gates could do something about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Karl Sharks posted:

the best part is when he thought bill gates could do something about it

Bill Gates is teaming up with McDonalds to give free Big Macs to the first 10,000 people who forward this Trump fundraising e-mail.

• Locked thread