Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pom posted:

Stag and Dragoon for MVPs. The Stag soaked bad dice like a champ, and the Dragoon both dealt and received a huge amount of punishment and still extracted successfully.

e: Holy crap, that bounty :signings: Am I correct in assuming the Demon Hawks are earning more in a single day than most merc companies see in a year?

Basically this.

As for the OpFor MVP I'm voting the Hawk Hunter for being an annoying ace.
Ath turned up and scared everyone, but the Hawk Hunter did it for longer.

If we're talking good mechs from a couple pages back then my picks would be:

Light = spider - it's high speed, and 2 MLs are reasonable for bug mechs.

Medium = the Phoenix Hawk 1D.
The Vindicator and Enforcer (and Hunchback) are all mechs I like, but for sheer all around ability, the P-Hawk ends up winning on balance, for the tabletop.
Wolverine, and Griffin are good too, while the shadowhawk is "it would be great if-".
I also like the Bushwacker.

Heavy - Thunderbolt 5SE - jumpy, with mixed bag of weapons.
The Marauder 3D is also acceptable, and the Catapult C1 and Quickdraw are also both pretty reasonable choices.

Assault - Awesome 8Q wins overall (siege mech), although the Marauder 2 is pretty good also.
I wish the Atlas was more than just area denial in a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Stag and Komodo for dice god sacrifice and saving the team from the one real "oh poo poo" moment when the infantry cut them off. Clan side jump on the Aerospace pilot bandwagon, though I think a secondary category of "most amusing" would include the David ripping both his legs off with MASC, it's the "back down the hill whoops dead" of the game :).

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
"Let them have this minor victory—they have destroyed a few `Mechs and a few light aircraft, but the war will yet be ours.”

I knew I was forgetting something! Damnit Ath, you lost eight planes, four of which were your only transports on site! Have fun repairing and re-arming your weapons without your only non-dropship source of supply.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'd like to echo everyone else and congratulate PTN for running such an exciting and entertaining scenario. While I think Jeronimo: Breakout slightly edges it out in terms of carnage and insanity, it was still a wild ride and hats off to everyone who took part in it.

As for MVPs, I'm going to nominate the Dragoon and Salamander for the players and the first Wolverine IIC for the OpFor. The Dragoon surely needs no explanation, but I feel that the Salamander deserves recognition for sparing Gooncompany a lot of enemy fire via judicious use of smoke rounds. It wasn't particularly flashy, but tactically it really evened the playing field. The Wolverine IIC kept on trucking even when it was blown to hell and scored a headshot on the Screamer that could very easily have killed Jason if the dice had been crueler.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scintilla posted:

I'd like to echo everyone else and congratulate PTN for running such an exciting and entertaining scenario. While I think Jeronimo: Breakout slightly edges it out in terms of carnage and insanity, it was still a wild ride and hats off to everyone who took part in it.

As for MVPs, I'm going to nominate the Dragoon and Salamander for the players and the first Wolverine IIC for the OpFor. The Dragoon surely needs no explanation, but I feel that the Salamander deserves recognition for sparing Gooncompany a lot of enemy fire via judicious use of smoke rounds. It wasn't particularly flashy, but tactically it really evened the playing field. The Wolverine IIC kept on trucking even when it was blown to hell and scored a headshot on the Screamer that could very easily have killed Jason if the dice had been crueler.

That's a really good point, felt to me like the smoke was pivotal in putting shape round the battle for us too.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

thetruegentleman posted:

"Let them have this minor victory—they have destroyed a few `Mechs and a few light aircraft, but the war will yet be ours.”

I knew I was forgetting something! Damnit Ath, you lost eight planes, four of which were your only transports on site! Have fun repairing and re-arming your weapons without your only non-dropship source of supply.

They're Clanners. Logistics is for Merchant Caste cowards.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't we work out that the reason the aerospace pilot didn't come around for a second pass was that he crashed/exploded the moment he tried to perform any sort of manoeuvre?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to go with the Stag and Salamander for MVP, for tactical smoke and tactical bad luck absorption.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
MVPs: Ardlen (Flashman) for coordination efforts and Axe-man (Komodo) for saving our collective butt.

Also thanks to PTN for his infinite patience and planning, as well as everyone in-thread and IRC (esp. Ardlen) who was incredibly helpful whenever I had no idea what to do. (Which was pretty much every turn).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Come on, guys, let's not give PTN a big head, he's only run a community BattleTech game for years while telling an engaging storyline that so fundamentally reboots BattleTech and fixes everything wrong with it while integrating all the different characters and storylines of the original that he both restores and refreshes the franchise.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Given the Chameleon's disappointing skid at the Wolverine IIC, I am going to assume that the NRWR will respond by replacing it with a larger version of the Porcupine.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Given the Chameleon's disappointing skid at the Wolverine IIC, I am going to assume that the NRWR will respond by replacing it with a larger version of the Porcupine.

ahahaha I just realized the only kill the Clans managed was a training mech

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Keru posted:

Player MVPs:
Ronin of Dreams for some real good shootin' in the Dragoon II
Vorenus for a) Taking all the bad luck so their team didn't have to and b) Surviving all that bullshit.

Voting this as well

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Hang on a tic. Ath isn't really ranked. Why is HE the one to tell people to pull back?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

Hang on a tic. Ath isn't really ranked. Why is HE the one to tell people to pull back?

He's the guy who looks and sounds the most like he knows what he's doing and the Clanner unit seems to be in chaos after the savaging they got.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's a Star Captain nearby, but they just got boom-dogged to gently caress and so might need a moment to work out where half their torso went.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Artificer posted:

My guess is he's probably just that terrifying to the other warriors.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ath is the pissed off guy in the Hellstar who just ran out of opposing targets to shoot. You want to countermand his orders? Feel free to challenge him to a Trial of Refusal. Right now. :getin:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Keru posted:

Player MVPs:
Ronin of Dreams for some real good shootin' in the Dragoon II
Vorenus for a) Taking all the bad luck so their team didn't have to and b) Surviving all that bullshit.

These are my MVP votes as well

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Artificer posted:

He's so murderous that other Clanners are legitimately afraid of him, and he's also obviously right.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

MVPs: Choosing the Grasshopper and Salamander , but really everyone is deserving of getting this.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

For OpFor MVP, I vote for the guy in the aerospace jet that somehow managed to ready his plane, and then take off on a crowded runway, and then came back for a strafing run despite taking return fire... in a hurricane. OK, he had to bug out in the end, but that's ballsy and he saved a plane that might have otherwise gotten fragged.

For player MVPs I vote for the Screamer - that's a very difficult mech to use well, but every turn it seemed to be taking full advantage of its movement and ability to be a pain in the rear end, even if it didn't necessarily murder a ton of enemy mechs.

And, I'll throw in a vote for El Spamo in the Lancelot: Not because of any one particular move, but because he consistently posted in the thread, discussing his possible moves, without any ego or whatever, and then generally took the best advice and made it work. I know lots of the players were coordinating off-thread and that's fine and good, but I took notice of El Spamo's communication with the rest of us and appreciated it. If someone else did that just as often, well, your avatar isn't of a spazzing out cat so I didn't notice you as much, sorry. :shrug:
e. Oh yeah he also very cleverly got the last platoon of infantry to swarm him, and then ran them out of the way and dropped them off and still escaped intact. That was fun.

This.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This entire raid lasted about 2 minutes and 30 seconds and lead to the destruction of 21 clan mechs, eight aircraft including the only four transports this base had, quite a bit of infantry and soon the crippling or destruction of a McKenna-class battleship. All that was lost in exchange was a trainer mech. Okay, and also a lot of severely damaged mechs.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Those rounds being 10 seconds should probably be handwaved in story line purposed. Because why not.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That was a hell of a ride. Jason is presumably now back at base stretching his sore muscles and rubbing his suspiciously seatbelt-shaped bruises. He can soothe himself by relaxing into a deep pool of C-bills.

I've already sent my thanks to PTN in the last orders PM, so it remains to elect the MVPs - if I can do that as one of the players?

For the opposition: Almost the Wolverine IIC for Just Not Dying, but it has to go to the Lucerne for making everyone on Goonlance constantly play around it. I really feel this deserves recognition since this one mech disrupted so many plans and caused many late nights in #megamek pouring over landing sites. Somewhere there's an alternate universe where the Screamer tried landing behind the Lucerne for a backshot, and if you press your ear to the monitor and listen very carefully, you can hear that universe's Loxbourne raging about "bullshit Ace pulseboats" even now.

For the players,. the Salamander for the very timely smoke rounds that saved mechs left and right, and my buddy the Grasshopper for stepping forward for a rescue and taking significant risks in the process. No Demon Hawk left behind!

EDIT: It is also now my personal threadcanon that, when the war is over, Jason will quietly pay for the erection of a dignified memorial to all the Good Doggies who laid down their lives heroically in defence of the planet.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 27, 2016

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I've been wondering how fast the money flowed in the Demon Hawks coffers for this mission. My lousy mental calculations indicate they earned their keep at about 1*10E9 Cbills per hour.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

That was a hell of a ride. Jason is presumably now back at base stretching his sore muscles and rubbing his suspiciously seatbelt-shaped bruises. He can soothe himself by relaxing into a deep pool of C-bills.

First thing I thought of -

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Demon Hawk MVPs:

- Stag, who absorbed all the misfortune so the Hawks didn't have to.
- Salamander, who bought the Hawks precious time with smoke rounds. This was a three-way between the Dragoon for overall being a solid contributor, and the Grasshopper for retrieving Icepick and staying back to be the last to retreat, but I felt that without the smoke rounds the campaign could have ended worse for the company.

OpFor Honorary MVPs:

- Infantry, for sneaking around the Demon Hawks and blocking off the extraction point. They would have been more successful if they weren't spotted earlier, but I thought that they made the goons panic for a moment despite being Elemental rejects made them MVP material.
- Honorary (:v:) mention to the Aerospace pilot who dared to take off his plane while under fire and in a raging hurricane. He didn't contribute much to the actual fight, but he's got balls.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Loxbourne posted:

EDIT: It is also now my personal threadcanon that, when the war is over, Jason will quietly pay for the erection of a dignified memorial to all the Good Doggies who laid down their lives heroically in defence of the planet.

Dammit, this needs to be canon. :unsmith:
Can we also automatically get Revenants as MvP?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Artificer posted:

Well, Haze was probably supposed to be the one to do it, given that he had an update about being saved by cybernetics after getting burned half to death; then his mech got utterly wrecked, so he's either dead, or in no shape to give any kind of order. Even better, most of the enemy Star Commanders are either dead, out of commission, or not in a position to know what the hell is going on.

In other words, Ath is one of the few Clanners left on the battlefield who's 1. Competent (he was outed by age, not inability), 2. Aware (he's been in the battle since turn 9, probably the longest of any intact mech), and 3. Calm (everyone else is either enraged or shell shocked at the biggest rear end-kicking since Hastilude, where the Clanners at least had an excuse for being wrecked).

Besides, do you really want someone like Star Commander Joop giving the end speech?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

the only four transports this base had

The only four transports on-map. The airfield's bigger than the playing map by far. Big enough to warrant a full cluster to defend it.

Ath's not wrong though, since the local defenders pretty much just pulled a "Japanese CAP at Midway" move and threw everything they had at an obvious threat. Meanwhile 6/9 boomdoggies have had plenty of time to find hangars full of aircraft to go explode inside.

Edit: I do love how even the vote's been so far. Pretty much everyone's gotten at least 1 vote for MVP (I'm surprised nobody's MVP'd the Chameleon for that sweet slide-tackle or the Champion for keeping me honest with consistent defense-focused sniping all match)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Aww. Hopefully the good doggies will handle finishing to destroy whatever logistics capability the clan have left here.

Also it's nice to know that the bombers got through, I just can't wait to see what happened to the McKenna.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Meanwhile 6/9 boomdoggies have had plenty of time to find hangars full of aircraft to go explode inside.

Good Doggies.

Best Doggies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Meanwhile 6/9 boomdoggies have had plenty of time to find hangars full of aircraft to go explode inside.

Ideally by going in and shooting up everything inside, waiting for damage control teams to show up, and then blowing up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only four transports on-map. The airfield's bigger than the playing map by far. Big enough to warrant a full cluster to defend it.

Ath's not wrong though, since the local defenders pretty much just pulled a "Japanese CAP at Midway" move and threw everything they had at an obvious threat. Meanwhile 6/9 boomdoggies have had plenty of time to find hangars full of aircraft to go explode inside.

Edit: I do love how even the vote's been so far. Pretty much everyone's gotten at least 1 vote for MVP (I'm surprised nobody's MVP'd the Chameleon for that sweet slide-tackle or the Champion for keeping me honest with consistent defense-focused sniping all match)

Hmmmmm. That slide tackle was hella sweet/gnarly. Changing my Stag vote to one for the Chameleon.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Just because he's subordinate, doesn't mean he's not allowed to speak. And the fact that no higher ups countermanded him means what he said rang true.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yea, just about everyone has had a great moment of some kind in this mission. The inadvertant slide tackle owned. Ardlen did a great job helping herd cats, I'm pretty sure the Champion made some clutch shots, the Phoenix Hawk played great fast rear end in a top hat light spoiler, etc.

e: Man I went back and read through all the updates again and that Dragoon II's lasers were seriously headshot machines. I think it got at least 5 headshots with those suckers, although only the Lucerne ended up with a kill from them.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 27, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

garland336 posted:

Just because he's subordinate, doesn't mean he's not allowed to speak. And the fact that no higher ups countermanded him means what he said rang true.

That no one countermanded him could also help his standing. Perhaps he'll go for a Trial of Position in the near future.Next mission with him might feature him as Star Captain.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Loa Vecre posted:

Players:
Stag for showing one can fight the dice and win.
Screamer for being the last one out despite flying a rocket-powered deathtrap with no room for error.

OpFor:
The Aero pilot deserves full credit here, despite it only being a minor event in the grand scheme of things. Taking off under those conditions is one thing, but coming back around for a strafing run requires staring Death in the face and spitting on them.

I was on the edge of my seat for most of this battle. An excellent job by the players and once again many thanks to PTN for setting these up and running them!

For the Players:Stag and Screamer
For the Clans: The Aero pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Stag and Lancelot for player MVPs, Opfor MVP has got to be the 'Hey, where did those infantry bugger off to, anyway? Nowhere important, I'm sure'.

• Locked thread