Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Pick Winston, leap right in front of Reinhardt's shield, pop your own shield bubble, electrocute him and anyone close behind the shield until he dies or drops his shield to try and attack thus exposing his team to your team's line of fire, rinse and repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

guts and bolts posted:

It's less that there are reasons to avoid it when everything is going swimmingly and more that Reinhardts will often panic-hold M2 in an effort to not die and expect the shield to save them when it in fact will not

What I'm driving at is that while a good Rein and a bad Rein will likely both just facetank the Sym orbs and Rein Es without blinking, they do so for different reasons

I think the general thrust of the thread is that most people play either solo or in small premades, and if you're playing against a good premade when your team isn't, you're basically hosed anyway no matter who they pick; it's more like "how do I stop some all-star publord from getting free wins by picking Rein while the rest of his Offense-only brigade piles in behind him?" and the obvious answers are things like "shoot Sym orbs at them" and "pick Bastion"

I always sidestep Firestrike if I can, but I wouldn't lower my shield to avoid it. It doesn't do enough damage to bother me as Reinhardt, but it's not like facetanking it will save your team behind you since it passes through players as well.

Bastion is a good pick to counter a Reinhardt shield, but playing him always seems like a chore. You set up, crack Reinhardt's shield and then everyone realizes your team has a Bastion and focuses on you. It's worse than playing Mercy. Players who wouldn't counterpick a hero even if they were losing will gladly switch to whatever class they think counters Bastion.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Countblanc posted:

Do not believe this man - I basically can't convince anyone to play D.Va, Mei, Widow, or Winston in inhouses

Hmm, i think i've played Winston in most (?) KoTH maps, maybe a few payload ones as well. I almost always suggest the double monkey strat on KoTH :D

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 27, 2016

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

I always sidestep Firestrike if I can, but I wouldn't lower my shield to avoid it. It doesn't do enough damage to bother me as Reinhardt, but it's not like facetanking it will save your team behind you since it passes through players as well.

Bastion is a good pick to counter a Reinhardt shield, but playing him always seems like a chore. You set up, crack Reinhardt's shield and then everyone realizes your team has a Bastion and focuses on you. It's worse than playing Mercy. Players who wouldn't counterpick a hero even if they were losing will gladly switch to whatever class they think counters Bastion.

I hope some day we get a character that can fart out holodukes because countering bastion is the real chore. I don't find playing Mercy awful, but with half my playtime as her my winrate is 46%. Not enough band aids in the world for the solo queue.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I'm having a hell of a time countering Bastion as Pharah. Peeking around a corner I can usually get off one or two rockets before he notices and starts firing at me, at which point I have to retreat to heal otherwise I'll die. If I retreat to heal, then so will he, and we're back at square one.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Keeping the pressure on Reinhardt's shield is a good use for Lucio's gun. No way you're missing that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Playing Mercy is so unfun. An ult-bot with a bullseye on her back for every Reaper, Genji, Winston, Roadhog and Widow in the solar system. Sucks because I love her aesthetic and her ult is soooo loving useful.

I kind of hate that there's a resurrect mechanic at all in this game, though. How many times has your team coordinated like three ults together to get a near-team wipe and cap a point only to have a Mercy just press Q and undo all of that?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

NoDamage posted:

I'm having a hell of a time countering Bastion as Pharah. Peeking around a corner I can usually get off one or two rockets before he notices and starts firing at me, at which point I have to retreat to heal otherwise I'll die. If I retreat to heal, then so will he, and we're back at square one.

You know you can fly right?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Keeping the pressure on Reinhardt's shield is a good use for Lucio's gun. No way you're missing that.
As Lucio I find it irresistible not to skip behind him and put pressure on his skull. Good Reinhardts are stoic about it and keep facing the direction they're going until they're gradually chipped to death. Bad Reinhardts turn around to see whos shooting them and break their own line. Either way, bugging the big guy with Lucio is fun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
when i see a bad reinhardt as lucio i engage in this game where i try to punch the reinhardt to death.

this has never ended poorly when the reinhardt turned out to be good, nope.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Post to Thread Title Update timing is good. This new title mei be the best yet.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

wit posted:

As Lucio I find it irresistible not to skip behind him and put pressure on his skull. Good Reinhardts are stoic about it and keep facing the direction they're going until they're gradually chipped to death. Bad Reinhardts turn around to see whos shooting them and break their own line. Either way, bugging the big guy with Lucio is fun.

If turning would break their line, wouldn't that mean their team is behind them? Where you are? And shooting you?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mystery Machine posted:

Pro Junkrats blow Pharah out of the sky with a sick mine throw.

Hell yeah!!!!! PHARA AIN'T poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtMcbNs_rxs

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I have gotten several last hit punches on Rein's who thought backing up and holding shield was a viable tactic.

Not that they would've survived if they tried to swing either. The punch is just more satisfying.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

If turning would break their line, wouldn't that mean their team is behind them? Where you are? And shooting you?

In solo queue there's nobody behind Reinhardt.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Imagined posted:

Then he should be turning to face the person hitting him.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Imagined posted:

Playing Mercy is so unfun. An ult-bot with a bullseye on her back for every Reaper, Genji, Winston, Roadhog and Widow in the solar system. Sucks because I love her aesthetic and her ult is soooo loving useful.

I kind of hate that there's a resurrect mechanic at all in this game, though. How many times has your team coordinated like three ults together to get a near-team wipe and cap a point only to have a Mercy just press Q and undo all of that?

Yeah, it's really unfair that Mercy can press Q to undo the results of one person on your team pressing Q and then everyone else pressing it too when they hear the game-wide ult callout.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Imagined posted:

In my experience, pubbies will gladly stand in front of my shield to protect it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In my experience, pubbies will gladly stand in front of my shield to protect it.

If you look at it that way, pubbies are the most noble and brave drones serving the Greater Good rather than hapless dipshits. I prefer living in that fantasy.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

NoDamage posted:

if he has to uproot himself and run away to heal, you've already done your job, especially if you're timing it with your team's push

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If anyone needs a nerf it's loving Reaper.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zarya's no problem for Junkrat. It turns out those shields don't actually make her invincible, and you have 5 grenade launcher shots at 120 a pop and 120 on your mine, not to mention 80 with your trap.

If you can't take out Zarya and anyone she's shielding with that then maybe you need to git gud son.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Until there's a competitive mode, aren't we all just pubbies? :ssh:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

a good thread title

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Everyone says that Symmetra's orb goes through the reinhardt shield. The thing is, I swear to god I've seen the orb impact the shield and stop. I can't be the only one who's see that, can I?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

nah

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Lol if you aren't making GBS threads out 30 elim and 10k dmg as reaper.

Reaper benefited quite a bit from the mccree nerfs.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

khy posted:

Everyone says that Symmetra's orb goes through the reinhardt shield. The thing is, I swear to god I've seen the orb impact the shield and stop. I can't be the only one who's see that, can I?

It definitely passes right through Reinhardt's shield. D.Va's defense matrix stops it, though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Lowering Reapers shadowstep to normal running speed would be a good start.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Verranicus posted:

:lol:, yes nerf the only really reliable tank counter. There is nothing wrong with Reaper.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

You know you can fly right?

That makes her an even easier target for bastion

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Imagined posted:

This is indicative of two things:

1) your team is bad for not killing Mercy first - this happens quite a lot, actually, and you need to make sure Mercy dies first or your "let's all press Q at the same time! :v:" strat wasn't very coordinated to begin with
2) the map is one of the dumb ones where the spawn door is so close that Mercy steps out of it, presses Q, and gets a mass rez even if you did kill her

so really it's less that Mercy's ult is too good for a game like this, and more like "why is it possible for Mercy to get a mass rez even if we killed her first, that spawn is way too close" and "why didn't we kill her first"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Symmetra and Mei are both excellent anti-reapers. Even if he tries to ghost away you can wall him off with your E as Mei, and as Symmetra just bunnyhop laserchainsaw him to death.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It feels like his shotguns have a longer effective range than they should, but I don't think he's particularly too powerful

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Verranicus posted:

mcvey posted:

Reaper benefited quite a bit from the mccree nerfs.

mcvey posted:

Lowering Reapers shadowstep to normal running speed would be a good start.

:laffo:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

guts and bolts posted:

This is indicative of two things:

1) your team is bad for not killing Mercy first - this happens quite a lot, actually, and you need to make sure Mercy dies first or your "let's all press Q at the same time! :v:" strat wasn't very coordinated to begin with
2) the map is one of the dumb ones where the spawn door is so close that Mercy steps out of it, presses Q, and gets a mass rez even if you did kill her

so really it's less that Mercy's ult is too good for a game like this, and more like "why is it possible for Mercy to get a mass rez even if we killed her first, that spawn is way too close" and "why didn't we kill her first"

Actually Mercy's ult charges way too fast.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

khy posted:

Symmetra and Mei are both excellent anti-reapers. Even if he tries to ghost away you can wall him off with your E as Mei, and as Symmetra just bunnyhop laserchainsaw him to death.

Symmetra gets murdered by Reaper in about two hits. Mei is also a pretty soft-counter.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Verranicus posted:

Actually Mercy's ult charges way too fast.

Fast I'll buy for a dollar, that's empirically true, too fast I don't agree with even remotely

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Don't step out and fire multiple rockets at a time. Just step out, fire rocket, step back, step out, fire rocket, step back. He'll never get meaningful damage on you that way. Now you don't have to heal up. So now he can try to heal it where he stands and get destroyed because 120 is faster than he can fix, or he can run away. Once Bastion is on the move, his effectiveness drops a ton because he'll have to find a new spot to situate and since it'll be improvised it'll usually be much worse (and ideally the rest of their team is on the run because you're advancing in 6 on 5 conditions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

What's wrong with the second quote? The mccree nerf did open up Reaper to be used a lot more.