Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dongicus posted:

Perk mods that allow more interesting character builds instead of +50 percent damage against molerats or w/e. More spawns do sound good.

And my questions been answered because the CK is only in beta for some reason lol.

Note that war of the commonwealth isn't "hard", it's basically impossible at max spawns (at least on survival) at early levels anyway. Bumping into level 20+ top tier enemies as you exit the vault isn't survivable or (imo) fun in the slightest. I like the "More Spawns" mod better, but it can make some of the dungeons really really brutal

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4253/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dongicus posted:

huh? kinda nuts that it's still in beta. isnt it the same engine as skyrim?

Thanks, by the way.

The modern Elder Scrolls/Fallout games are all playing off the same base engine but they're different enough to set them apart from each other. The jump from Skyrim to Fallout 4 is likely the biggest difference so far, actually.

It's juuuuuust different enough from Skyrim to make some aspects of modding, like model importing, a gigantic loving pain in the rear end

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone could whip up a quick mod to change a few merchants to sell more than one shipment of concrete, could you? I'll be damned before I pay bethesda £4 to change merchants to sell useful amounts of the stuff.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Azhais posted:

Note that war of the commonwealth isn't "hard", it's basically impossible at max spawns (at least on survival) at early levels anyway. Bumping into level 20+ top tier enemies as you exit the vault isn't survivable or (imo) fun in the slightest. I like the "More Spawns" mod better, but it can make some of the dungeons really really brutal

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4253/

Dude, thank you. I thought it was just me, so I fired up the mod in ye olde xEdit, turns out the fucker mod author wasn't content with just adding tons and tons of spawn points, THAT ARE CONFIGURABLE, but he had to change every encounter zone level to an absurd range. There's NOWHERE you can go at level 1. Everything you encounter will be able to kill you in one hit, even with survival options changed so that incoming and outgoing damage are 100%. It's sucky.

That said, another mod, Adjusted Encounter Zones, is just as bad. Levels 3-15 for the starting zone? Get hosed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Apoplexy posted:

Dude, thank you. I thought it was just me, so I fired up the mod in ye olde xEdit, turns out the fucker mod author wasn't content with just adding tons and tons of spawn points, THAT ARE CONFIGURABLE, but he had to change every encounter zone level to an absurd range. There's NOWHERE you can go at level 1. Everything you encounter will be able to kill you in one hit, even with survival options changed so that incoming and outgoing damage are 100%. It's sucky.

That said, another mod, Adjusted Encounter Zones, is just as bad. Levels 3-15 for the starting zone? Get hosed.

Yeah, I don't like it at all. The guy just literally painted the landscape with spawns, no rhyme or reason. I had high hopes for his "make the wasteland seem alive" but that'd require putting some thought into why spawns are in certain areas vs everything everywhere.

I've been tempted to look into how it all works, make a WotC type mod that adds thematically appropriate spawns, more patrols from the various enemy strongholds (i.e. have tons of gunners roaming from Quincy to 95 to Mass Fusion), that sort of thing. And also include bumps to the friendly factions, so there's actually a war at diamond city vs the current scenario where it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Deathclaws, Inc.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dongicus posted:

Perk mods that allow more interesting character builds instead of +50 percent damage against molerats or w/e. More spawns do sound good.

And my questions been answered because the CK is only in beta for some reason lol.

Sorry but there are no perks that do what you're describing.
Toughness is worthless but even the +% weapon perks give additional functionality in the form of disarming, armor penetration, crippling or cleave attacks.

I would really like you to be more specific than, " lol, I dunno make it better" because there are a lot of very good mods that can probably fix your very vague problems.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
a

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

same

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Apoplexy posted:

I actually survived my first raider spawn right outside the vault with War of the Commonwealth with just the 10mm and gear you find in the vault, scavenged everything and equipped myself, and now it's fine.

Literally just survive the first encounter and so long as it's not worthless ghouls you're good to go.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

So, I see a lot of settlement mods making me want to pick FO4 back up, but -- I made a post a while back -- really would rather wait until someone made happiness/water/food mechanics and settler behavior and AI a lot better. Mainly because settlements were the main thing driving me to play the game, and I pushed that as far as it would go for me.

I'm curious from the modders; is that stuff just not possible/accessible? People are into settlement stuff and "there's no reason to do it" was a super common complaint, so I'm afraid there's just some sort of limitation.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Jon Do posted:

So, I see a lot of settlement mods making me want to pick FO4 back up, but -- I made a post a while back -- really would rather wait until someone made happiness/water/food mechanics and settler behavior and AI a lot better. Mainly because settlements were the main thing driving me to play the game, and I pushed that as far as it would go for me.

I'm curious from the modders; is that stuff just not possible/accessible? People are into settlement stuff and "there's no reason to do it" was a super common complaint, so I'm afraid there's just some sort of limitation.

A lot of it had to do with most settlement options and customizations being blocked waiting for the GECK/SDK to release.

The most you could do up until recently, other than some texture stuff, was more or less limited by what you could write in a .bat file. Now we have some pretty good settlement mods coming out (Don't Call me Settler, Snap-N-Build, etc) but there hasn't been enough time for some of the more ambitious projects to really take form.

Settlements are a HUGE timesink that I put far too much work into, but there already mods like Minutemen Overhaul that directly benefit your work -- the more settlements you have with higher pops, the more and better equipped Minutemen patrols appear in the game world.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jon Do posted:

When you say "happiness/water/food mechanics" what do you mean? There's been some reverse engineering going on that better explains how to keep happiness high, and water/food mechanics are basically "if population# < food# and population# < water#, build more food and water"

As Kimsemus said, there's Don't Call Me Settler and Settler Management Software which do a number of things to make it easier to get the data you need, or to reset supply lines / show info about settlers, and there's now some actual concrete information (mostly on reddit) that explains how certain things affect happiness, but I'm still not sure I understand that part of your question.

With regards to settler behavior/AI, the answer is going to be probably not. From what I've researched, AI is going to be a bitch to change even with the geck, but there's definitely mods that allow you to have settlers perform actions with ploppable action-mats (stand here with a clipboard, do pushups here, meditate here, etc) but it's a far cry from "settlers now know how to use stairs" and "settlers no longer spawn into the same location every time you fast travel there"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry but there are no perks that do what you're describing.
Toughness is worthless but even the +% weapon perks give additional functionality in the form of disarming, armor penetration, crippling or cleave attacks.

I would really like you to be more specific than, " lol, I dunno make it better" because there are a lot of very good mods that can probably fix your very vague problems.

My. Question. Was. Answered.

You seem like you want an argument because I opened with calling Fallout 4 a turd.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Jon Do posted:

More thorough settlement management and settler attributes are something I hope comes with the Vault-Tec DLC ("perform experiments on your dwellers"), especially since the settlement functionality still seems unfinished. So we will still have to wait to see what Bethesda does with the last 2 DLC; after that I imagine someone will come out with a settler overhaul or whatnot.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm a ways deep into a playthrough with mods to improve settlements. I think mods plus the DLC have greatly enhanced my options with building but ultimately it's just so time consuming to set up the smallest thing and then any time you want to change things it gets more and more painful. I really want to like it but every time it ends in me being dissatisfied and giving up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Did they ever fix the bug where all settlers will appear at the settlement 0,0 coordinate on zoning sometimes? So loving annoying zoning in to the drive thru and having 8+ settlers standing in the pool of water in the center.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man, the guy who does Weaponsmith Extended or whatever Gambit does is really determined to push that annoying a million different types of ammo and super ammo you can change on the fly mod on people. His response to people making the understandible complaint of 'why for the love of god did you change the 10MM pistol ammo I cannot find bullets at the start' with 'I can't do anything use console lol'.

I for one hope some modder unofficially mods that noise out. There is more ammo types than FNV had with Gunrunners combined, jesus.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I was supporting WSE2 before, but I've changed my mind on it. I really like some of the stuff it does, but once you really get into the game there's just too many pointless extra weapon types that overlap with each other. For example, there's like three different swords that all have about the same stats and slightly different looks. It's pretty silly. I've also changed my mind on the use of New Calibers with it, since it ultimately just adds up to "pick the caliber with the most damage and grind out a bunch of ammo for it".

If somebody made a WSE2-like mod without New Calibers and without the overlap of weapon types, I'd be really happy. Like, some of the stuff in it is great - I love having crossbows, chainsaws, Pitching Machines, Swan's Axe, and other such stuff that gives more real variety, and having it all on level lists so it automagically appears in the world for relevant factions - but having a Desert Eagle and an M1911 instead of just making more mods for the existing pistol is just silly.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dongicus posted:

My. Question. Was. Answered.

You seem like you want an argument because I opened with calling Fallout 4 a turd.

Not at all. I just like modding and wanted to help.

Has anyone seen something like the Snap n' Build building guides but for something like foundations?
I would like to swing something around to show me how many squares would fit in an area without having to build it first.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Roadie posted:

So I was supporting WSE2 before, but I've changed my mind on it. I really like some of the stuff it does, but once you really get into the game there's just too many pointless extra weapon types that overlap with each other. For example, there's like three different swords that all have about the same stats and slightly different looks. It's pretty silly. I've also changed my mind on the use of New Calibers with it, since it ultimately just adds up to "pick the caliber with the most damage and grind out a bunch of ammo for it".

If somebody made a WSE2-like mod without New Calibers and without the overlap of weapon types, I'd be really happy. Like, some of the stuff in it is great - I love having crossbows, chainsaws, Pitching Machines, Swan's Axe, and other such stuff that gives more real variety - but having a Desert Eagle and an M1911 instead of just making more mods for the existing pistol is just silly.

I feel same sadly you go through so much support mod bloat to set things up to get it working, more or less though I am happy for the DE Eagle and the M1911 to exist side by side sort of like they did in Fallout 2 as one is a hand cannon and the other is a light shining in the darkness.

I really hope they find a way to make it easier to getting new or modified open source models in the game. I really am just aching for a FNV style armoury mod that blends canon wise with the rest of the game. The chunky constraction/civ version of some classic weapons just don't click with me.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man, the guy who does Weaponsmith Extended or whatever Gambit does is really determined to push that annoying a million different types of ammo and super ammo you can change on the fly mod on people. His response to people making the understandible complaint of 'why for the love of god did you change the 10MM pistol ammo I cannot find bullets at the start' with 'I can't do anything use console lol'.
I think everyone should just get in the habit of downloading all the guns they want and fixing the levelled lists, only because the alternatives are thin. I thought about attempting to write a FO4Edit script that automatically patches all your levelled lists and spits out a patch, but I've never used Pascal or whatever the gently caress it is. Seems pretty feasible if someone knew what they were doing, but I guess no one does. I don't even know why the behavior in the engine is to overwrite levelled lists, if you open them in FO4Edit, you can tell they are all supposed to be loaded, but for whatever reason they behavior is to only accept the last one. This is another thing I thought would have been "fixed" by now, I expect soon something will come along to merge levelled lists (Wrye Bash saves the day maybe), or someone will hack the functionality.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's a nice thought and I hope something does happen, as I apparently am now carrying the entire TFR sub-forums worth of ammo knowledge in my characters rucksack.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I for one hope some modder unofficially mods that noise out. There is more ammo types than FNV had with Gunrunners combined, jesus.

That's actually two separate mods - Loads of Ammo (AP/explosive/incendiary/etc ammo) and New Calibers (each gun can spawn with a bunch of different ammo types).

I like LoA by itself, since it mostly gives some interesting trade-offs between different ammo types. It really needs a F4SE version with better hotkeys and some UI stuff, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It'd be not so bad if there wasn't a million different types and if only some could be crafted or dropped by NPC's as going to buy stuff from a vendor is a nightmare when looking for a single ammo type.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
For the most part you can just grab the standalone weapon mods you want and make a merged patch. Most of the author's include some sort of levelled list integration or "on top of the rocks just over the bridge outside of Sanctuary" integration, at least. You might want to open up their LL in fo4edit and do some adjusting. Having every single raider spawn with your newly installed weapon kind of takes away some of the charm.
My biggest issue right now is some weapon mods having me craft them at chem stations. I understand why they do it, but drat does that break my immersion. Just go ahead and require crafting workbenches and be done with it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Otacon posted:

With regards to settler behavior/AI, the answer is going to be probably not. From what I've researched, AI is going to be a bitch to change even with the geck, but there's definitely mods that allow you to have settlers perform actions with ploppable action-mats (stand here with a clipboard, do pushups here, meditate here, etc) but it's a far cry from "settlers now know how to use stairs" and "settlers no longer spawn into the same location every time you fast travel there"

To the last point, the navmeshing is apparently a bitch to work with in FO4, which is why it's so difficult to make settlers properly "go to x and do y".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Builders may enjoy this improvement to conveyors.

Also, there's a fun mod for spergs who want the aftermath of all their fights to look like the Matrix lobby.

Edit:

A replacement for FogOut that removes interior fog dynamically, so you never need a compatibility patch for it.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 28, 2016

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Whirly, your tiny vertibird buddy http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13449/

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Simply Modular Housing

This mod is either going to end in obscurity or be the foundation for all future settlement mods. Probably the former but you never know.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Back Hack posted:

Simply Modular Housing

This mod is either going to end in obscurity or be the foundation for all future settlement mods. Probably the former but you never know.

That's pretty cool how they use the techniques used in the real world to build stuff.

The level of customization is amazing. So is the work, but for people who want to build more detailed structures this is pretty awesome.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

Simply Modular Housing

Really cool looking mod, but I can't seem to find any answers to the #1 most important question: Is it navmeshed? There's no point in using it if the NPCs can't navigate through it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Back Hack posted:

Simply Modular Housing

:stare:

I don't think I'm quite up to the level of roleplaying where I want to make sure my walls have internal insulation and proper studding that I'll never see.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
No plumbing though. 0/10
Also, that was the most annoying piece of 'music' I have ever heard.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Entropic posted:

I don't think I'm quite up to the level of roleplaying where I want to make sure my walls have internal insulation and proper studding that I'll never see.

More importantly, can you insulate stairs?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

gasman posted:

No plumbing though. 0/10
Also, that was the most annoying piece of 'music' I have ever heard.

If this allowed you to run power cables inside those walls it would greatly soothe my 'spergers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The mod should only work if your character has a hard hat equipped.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Seashell Salesman posted:

If this allowed you to run power cables inside those walls it would greatly soothe my 'spergers.

Use 'Place Anywhere' for all those spergy needs.

If your survival run isn't immersive enough, how about some (slightly overpowered?) toilets?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15724/

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Entropic posted:

It's a cool mod, but your game is gonna be rendering all those studs and bits of insulation behind the walls.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Really cool looking mod, but I can't seem to find any answers to the #1 most important question: Is it navmeshed? There's no point in using it if the NPCs can't navigate through it.

This question, and lack of navmesh support, is why I use virtually no building mods except for some of the snap-n-build bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kimsemus posted:

This question, and lack of navmesh support, is why I use virtually no building mods except for some of the snap-n-build bases.

I use Snap quite a lot and have no issues with even complex structures. However, why bother with the insulation and proper framing if:

1) Structures can't be destroyed so it doesn't matter
2) You could just give blank tiles to snap into the most basic frames that would then define the area.

No need for framing or molding or any of that crap that will just take up resources.

Snap makes it very easy to make interior rooms even when your floors and ceilings are built. This mod is a neat idea but doesn't solve any building issues, that I can see.