Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sinestro posted:

I agree, fellow non-fascist, it is good that people saying things I disagree with are met with violent reprisal. :psyduck:

I think we can meet in the middle and agree that the violence was wrong but it was not a 1st amendment issue whatsoever. Right? Please? Can't we all, as Californians (ok, maybe Oregonian but I live here now), just get along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I was responding more to the general tenor of the post, but it is indeed not a first amendment issue. I guess people have just been traumatized by idiot alt-righters saying that poo poo in response to people saying mean things about them on Twitter to where the very mention of it is enough to make people react way too strongly. We do have laws against assault, but I think it's very unlikely that a neo-Nazi will be able to get fair treatment because of the very understandable intensely negative reaction that anyone would have to them.

There is nothing that can be said where stabbing people is "meting out an appropriate response".

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I hate California nazis.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I guess California's gun control laws worked, because there wasn't a mass shooting?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

BigPaddy posted:

Titusville is pretty dead so you will want to have plans for other stuff away from there.

Titusville seems quite the place in these reports

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0eqbd16cOBmLm6ROsne1p5NYvLrJya0U

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

You're still a criminal if you stab Nazis in the US of A but its not as bad of a crime as stabbing non-nazis.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SCA Enthusiast posted:

You're still a criminal if you stab Nazis in the US of A but its not as bad of a crime as stabbing non-nazis.

"Stabbing is Bad, but to be fair, it was stabbing nazis"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This was more of an organized brawl than a peaceful protest attacked by anarchists.
Both sides showed up armed and both sides had people stabbed. It is as much of a 1st amendment issue as a football hooligan fight as far as I can tell.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

I just signed up to stay on a sailboat via Airbnb. The internet is great.

88h88 posted:

Sailboat? Noice. I stayed in an old converted barn once, the fob on the key to my room was a cow ear tag. And the advert stated "WE HAVE DOGS, HOPE YOU LIKE DOGS" so I basically spent like 2 hours playing with their idiots dogs one day.
Love AirBNB and we thought about staying in a boat in Pensacola but decided on a condo in the end? I used it all over Germany to stay in some cool places and meet some amazing people on my weekends over there.

Refunded Dirt 3 (arcade), installed Dirt Rally (simulator) and now all is right in the world because I can tear around the woods sideways in an E30 M3 rally car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Wait, you're gonna commute on carbon wheels? Yes, you're crazy, even with a long commute.

I've commuted on my Xentis 4.2 carbons and to be honest, they have taken the abuse much better than any alloy wheel has. I'm now on the third alloy and this one has had persistent issues of losing spoke tension, the Xentis are still perfect.

Besides, riding what make the bike feel nicer means I want to ride more. Even in what passes for loving freezing in Australia

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NitroSpazzz posted:

Love AirBNB and we thought about staying in a boat in Pensacola but decided on a condo in the end? I used it all over Germany to stay in some cool places and meet some amazing people on my weekends over there.

Refunded Dirt 3 (arcade), installed Dirt Rally (simulator) and now all is right in the world because I can tear around the woods sideways in an E30 M3 rally car.
Aw gently caress you, I re-installed and got all my DLC back together because of you. Dirt 3 is great and there is an E30 M3! :argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm loving ashamed to be a Californian right now because the state education should have taught casual internet constitutional scholars that freedom of speech is not freedom from the repercussions of blurting out your terrible Nazi ideas, and if the private citizenry metes out an appropriate response to your dumb bullshit it has no connection whatsoever to the 1st amendment protections granted under the Bill of Rights to protect individuals from laws passed by the government.
I'll make sure to remember that political violence is acceptable to you when this results in the same thing at an abortion/LGBT/race rally.

Attacking a rally group with loving knives is NOT an appropriate response. Period. End of loving story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lzzt33R50U

It is a first amendment issue. One side was properly permitted and had signs. The other side went without a permit and had knives. The neo-nazis will bring guns next time. Assaulting someone for their ideas is still assault. The "counter-protesters" here were deliberately attacking free speech, free assembly, and free press (they also attacked the press that were there covering the idiots). I'll agree the neo-nazis were idiots, but its still a free speech issue. If you don't want to hear it make a bigger rally on the other side of the park and drown them out.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 27, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ilkhan posted:

I'll make sure to remember that political violence is acceptable to you when this results in the same thing at an abortion/LGBT/race rally.

Attacking a rally group with loving knives is NOT an appropriate response. Period. End of loving story.

Dead Kennedys replied to this 35 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I can't be alone in thinking that with the whole Brexit situation, withFarage being "UK Trump", the media and the left will go far out of their way to paint Brexit as the worst thing that's happened to the UK ever, ever. So they can point to the UK and say "Trump will do that to the US". All while ignoring the decades of graft and corruption and general sleaziness that comes with the Clinton name. I mean the votes were barely finished being counted and the UK already burned down, fell over, and then sank into a swamp according to them. WTF man, it's been like, a hot minute, give it a bit and see how this all plays out.

The remain crowd crying about how racist and stupid the leave side is reminds me a hell of a lot of they crying when both Gore and Kerry lost to Bush. "Stupid idiots voting against their own self-interest". The pomposity of those same people when Obama won twice was equally galling. You win some, you lose some. But you live, you live to fight another day. -John Witherspoon Friday

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

The remain crowd crying about how racist and stupid the leave side is reminds me a hell of a lot of they crying when both Gore and Kerry lost to Bush. "Stupid idiots voting against their own self-interest". The pomposity of those same people when Obama won twice was equally galling. You win some, you lose some. But you live, you live to fight another day. -John Witherspoon Friday
We don't, though. Once out, that's it, you're out. This isn't a mere general election where you can do somethign about it in another few years, this is permanent.

And a huge number of people have voted against their own self interest. They have been told things that were not true, and then immediately afterwards rescinded.

If you try to apply an equivalence to this which relates to things like a simple presidential election, you're missing the sheer scale of the fuckup. If nothing else, every single British person who regularly posts in AI going "Ooooooh poo poo, we're a bit boned here" should tell you something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man it's a straight toss up on which English speaking part of the world is the worst to live in now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Man it's a straight toss up on which English speaking part of the world is the worst to live in now.

Whew, I'm glad those of us in the USA don't enter into that. We speak American here. :911:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Quit playing, it will always be florida.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Whew, I'm glad those of us in the USA don't enter into that. We speak American here. :911:

I'm not even sure what word vomit they speak in Australia.

Powershift posted:

Quit playing, it will always be florida.

Truth.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I can't be alone in thinking that with the whole Brexit situation, withFarage being "UK Trump", the media and the left will go far out of their way to paint Brexit as the worst thing that's happened to the UK ever, ever. So they can point to the UK and say "Trump will do that to the US". All while ignoring the decades of graft and corruption and general sleaziness that comes with the Clinton name. I mean the votes were barely finished being counted and the UK already burned down, fell over, and then sank into a swamp according to them. WTF man, it's been like, a hot minute, give it a bit and see how this all plays out.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/brexit-is-only-the-latest-proof-of-the-insularity-and-failure-of-western-establishment-institutions/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

It is a first amendment issue. One side was properly permitted and had signs. The other side went without a permit and had knives. The neo-nazis will bring guns next time. Assaulting someone for their ideas is still assault. The "counter-protesters" here were deliberately attacking free speech, free assembly, and free press (they also attacked the press that were there covering the idiots). I'll agree the neo-nazis were idiots, but its still a free speech issue. If you don't want to hear it make a bigger rally on the other side of the park and drown them out.

I'm sure this is the same principled stand you take when left-leaning protesters are hosed with pepper spray, surrounded on all sides by law enforcement who simultaneously issue an order to disperse and prevent the crowd from dispersing, then arrest everyone for disobeying a lawful order - right?

I mean as a constitutional purist you certainly wouldn't handwave that away because its just a bunch of filthy hippies or urban ferals getting what they deserve...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
e: double post

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

Aw gently caress you, I re-installed and got all my DLC back together because of you. Dirt 3 is great and there is an E30 M3! :argh:

Steam refunded Dirt 3, Dirt Rally is more of the simulator I was looking for. I saw you post in the iRacing thread...any tips for not being complete poo poo at iRacing? Skippy is the only drat car I can run laps in without spinning. I'll probably start posting over there at some point once I'm not completely poo poo and do some goon races.

Need to figure out a basic seat mount asap, sliding/leaning seat isn't helping my lap times at all.

Dirt Rally in a nutshell...so punishing

I said come in! posted:

Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of racing sims.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 27, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Geoj posted:

I'm sure this is the same principled stand you take when left-leaning protesters are hosed with pepper spray, surrounded on all sides by law enforcement who simultaneously issue an order to disperse and prevent the crowd from dispersing, then arrest everyone for disobeying a lawful order - right?

I mean as a constitutional purist you certainly wouldn't handwave that away because its just a bunch of filthy hippies or urban ferals getting what they deserve...
As I said, free speech applies to everybody.

You're welcome to remind me of this if I go the other way on a situation like what you mention.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

We don't, though. Once out, that's it, you're out. This isn't a mere general election where you can do somethign about it in another few years, this is permanent.

And a huge number of people have voted against their own self interest. They have been told things that were not true, and then immediately afterwards rescinded.

If you try to apply an equivalence to this which relates to things like a simple presidential election, you're missing the sheer scale of the fuckup. If nothing else, every single British person who regularly posts in AI going "Ooooooh poo poo, we're a bit boned here" should tell you something.

And if you thought Brexit was bad, ya'll just lost to some island with 300,000 people and worse weather who barely discovered this "football" thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

And if you thought Brexit was bad, ya'll just lost to some island with 300,000 people and worse weather who barely discovered this "football" thing.
I'm fortunate to be one of the people who really has no interest at all in football.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NitroSpazzz posted:

Steam refunded Dirt 3, Dirt Rally is more of the simulator I was looking for. I saw you post in the iRacing thread...any tips for not being complete poo poo at iRacing? Skippy is the only drat car I can run laps in without spinning. I'll probably start posting over there at some point once I'm not completely poo poo and do some goon races.

Need to figure out a basic seat mount asap, sliding/leaning seat isn't helping my lap times at all.
My advice is to not drive like me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vId0jy_048U

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 27, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yell hate speech, see what happens. It's not a first amendment issue no matter how little you understand law.

I too am Really Sad those white supremacists had their freedoms trampled like that, but I guess they should stick to safe spaces like Trump rallies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-GEdJjVuIs

Bearded guy in the black shirt, red hat is the guy (Matthew Heimbach) who applied for the permits and organized this peaceful little pro-free speech festival in Sacramento. It really sucks when your attempts to take away others' rights is impeded by people not giving you a fair chance to make your point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

My advice is to not drive like me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vId0jy_048U

You are awaited in Valhalla.

iwentdoodie posted:

I hate California nazis.

Fuckin' love this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Guys Acadia National Park is so scenic it almost hurts.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Wrar posted:

Guys Acadia National Park is so scenic it almost hurts.

Can confirm. It's gorgeous up there.

I just drove through Adirondack Park, and it was pretty nice despite being hazy/overcast.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That actually makes sense to me.
It certainly goes a long way toward explaining Brexit and Trump. I definately agree that there is a lot of anger at the establishment regarding economic inequality, particularly, those in wealth being protected from their fuckups (see:banking crisis, where not a single bank executive so much as got a slap on the wrist, or auto manufacturers) while we middle class and "below" bear the brunt of said fuckups, particularly in our wallets.

I'm irritated enough right now about outsourcing loving with my job as is (you may recall that my former company outsourced, and now is going with a different outsourcing provider, and I'm being asked to teach these fucks my job, while either a: hoping that MY outsourcing company can find me a computer janitor position or b: find my own computer janitor position in a market depressed by... outsourcing.)

This kind of anger can easily be redirected into something, anything that isn't the status quo.
Like the dude said

Glenn Greenwald posted:

As Bevins put it, supporters of Trump, Brexit, and other anti-establishment movements “are motivated not so much by whether they think the projects will actually work, but more by their desire to say gently caress YOU” to those they believe (with very good reason) have failed them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I need to get a flare nut wrench to replace the clutch cylinders on the 280ZX. What brand should I get and from whom? I was going to just do Harbor Freight but there were a lot of reviews saying their cheaply-made wrenches rounded off the nut.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, HF flare nut wrenches are pretty sketchy. I've got both Husky and Craftsman flare nut wrenches and they've served me well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I'm not even sure what word vomit they speak in Australia.

Strine.

Ya big oval office.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I need to get a flare nut wrench to replace the clutch cylinders on the 280ZX. What brand should I get and from whom? I was going to just do Harbor Freight but there were a lot of reviews saying their cheaply-made wrenches rounded off the nut.
A set of crow's foot wrenches is often a better bet, I find, particularly compared to cheap line wrenches, as the latter are flexy as hell.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, HF flare nut wrenches are pretty sketchy. I've got both Husky and Craftsman flare nut wrenches and they've served me well.

Ok, maybe I'll stop at Sears on the way home. I just need a 10mm so I'm thinking I'll save money and buy that rather than a full set, if possible

Edit: ok so a single 10-12mm wrench is like $19, but a whole 5 piece metric set is only $18 right. I went with fast shipping to have it here by Thursday: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc-flare-nut-wrench-set-metric/p-00942013000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 28, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

I'm fortunate to be one of the people who really has no interest at all in football.

I normally don't, but I love a good underdog.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thanks for the article, and I got a really decent set of flare nut wrenches at O'Reilly auto parts. I think they're ac delco brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

From o'reillys it was probably a "gm performance parts" which has been rebranded to power torque. 17.99 for 3 wrenches that have different sizes on each end.

• Locked thread