Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

Holding a referendum and then ignoring the results wouldn't make the government look very good from a democratic point of view.

I think it's in the best interests of a government to look at the results of a democratic process and say "Go back, we hosed up" when poo poo like the Brexit fallout is happening. Like, democracy stops working well as soon as it runs everything into the ground because the voters are too stupid or uninformed to realize what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No no, we voted ironically to leave

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

quote:

@AP Purely vindictive. No bearing in reality. GB was a global economic leader for 200 years before the EU even existed.

Has anybody yet pointed out that so were Greece, Rome, and Egypt?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's in the best interests of a government to look at the results of a democratic process and say "Go back, we hosed up" when poo poo like the Brexit fallout is happening. Like, democracy stops working well as soon as it runs everything into the ground because the voters are too stupid or uninformed to realize what's happening.
There's an argument for not putting something like this to a vote in the first place, absolutely. Once you have, though, you're pretty much stuck. Reserving some decisions for elected officials is quite permissible in a democracy, but outright overriding the popular will, legitimately expressed, generally is not.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Strudel Man posted:

There's an argument for not putting something like this to a vote in the first place, absolutely. Once you have, though, you're pretty much stuck. Reserving some decisions for elected officials is quite permissible in a democracy, but outright overriding the popular will, legitimately expressed, generally is not.

This is why we have different term lengths for our elected representatives, short for the House, medium for the President, long for Senators, and lifetime appointments for justices. Different degrees of insulation from the public's fickleness.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Couldn't the Queen just veto it?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

chitoryu12 posted:

holttho
May 21, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Monarchy retains the right to do a lot of things in government by virtue of not ever exercising the right to do so. If HM stepped in, things would get much worse. The Royal Family is supposed to represent a non-partisan, unifying symbol the whole UK can get behind, regardless of politics. Much like the American flag in the US. By getting involved, they would just tarnish that as well as becoming the target for whichever side loses chanting "ANACHRONISM!" and the like.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I know it's democracy and all but it doesn't seem logical to me that a decision that momentous should be decided by a simple majority. Like if 10,000,000 people want to stay in the EU, and 10,000,001 people don't, the former can just go get hosed?

A decision like that about the fate of your entire nation state seems like is should require a super-majority either way. A super-majority to join the EU in the first place, and a super-majority to leave.

And isn't this whim-of-the-uneducated-mob the entire reason we use representational democracy anyway? Because at any given time 51% of the people could be loving stupid about a particular issue? Why wasn't this decided in parliament?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Jun 27, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Was there any popular approval process for joining in the first place? I guess I don't actually know, but my presumption was that the decision to join/set the thing up originally was made at higher levels.

Imagined posted:

And isn't this whim-of-the-uneducated-mob the entire reason we use representational democracy anyway? Because at any given time 51% of the people could be loving stupid about a particular issue? Why wasn't this decided in parliament?
That, and the impracticality of holding referenda on every little thing the government has to decide.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Imagined posted:

I know it's democracy and all but it doesn't seem logical to me that a decision that momentous should be decided by a simple majority. Like if 10,000,000 people want to stay in the EU, and 10,000,001 people don't, the former can just go get hosed?

A decision like that about the fate of your entire nation state seems like is should require a super-majority either way. A super-majority to join the EU in the first place, and a super-majority to leave.

Officially, it will be. Parliament makes the final call to do anything with this vote.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Was there any popular approval process for joining in the first place? I guess I don't actually know, but my presumption was that the decision to join/set the thing up originally was made at higher levels.

That, and the impracticality of holding referenda on every little thing the government has to decide.

The UK originally joined the European Economic Community in 1973. This organisation was mostly intended for economic cooperation among member countries. Wikipedia tells me that the UK didn't want to join earlier, but the Suez Crisis made them change their position. There was no referendum (Norway held one at that time and as you know, Norway has never become a member of the EU).

Around the late 80s - 90s, countries started using the EEC for making treaties about much more than just economics. In 1993 the European Union was created when all 12 EEC member states signed the Treaty of Maastricht. There were no referenda for that either.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

chitoryu12 posted:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

We held a referendum and 50% of people think we should nuke ourselves, welp get the codes. :downs:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Parliament is not going to overturn the referendum result. You can't ask an entire country's opinion on a thing and then say "WELL YOUR OPINION SUCKS", it tends to get you kicked out of office the next year.

Though, come to think of it, the conservatives have successfully torpedo'd their own boat. I think the next UK election is going to be a slaughter because all the liberal party needs to do is point to the impending economic recession.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A White Guy posted:

Though, come to think of it, the conservatives have successfully torpedo'd their own boat. I think the next UK election is going to be a slaughter because all the liberal party needs to do is point to the impending economic recession.

It doesn't help that they did an interview with the figurehead of the Leave party asking him how he was going to use all this freed up income and use it to fix the country and his response was "If you thought I was going to do that that's your own problem, but thanks for all the money with no discretionary oversight!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

Surprisingly, no. The monarch of the United Kingdom actually maintains quite little power; though she gives power through her position, she has very little ability to directly make proclamations on how the country is run. The UK has maintained its monarchy specifically because of this: there's no reason to overthrow your king and decapitate him when he's not actually doing anything.

She can certainly give guidance and yell at people about issues, but actually trying to take the reins and steer the country herself would be a gigantic upset for the English balance of power. Chances are if she disapproves of Brexit, she's absolutely talking Cameron's ear off about it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
England is a gift that keeps on giving.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

A White Guy posted:

Parliament is not going to overturn the referendum result. You can't ask an entire country's opinion on a thing and then say "WELL YOUR OPINION SUCKS", it tends to get you kicked out of office the next year.

First someone has to decide to actually do the deed and activate Article 50. And nobody ever will, because it means signing your name on a huge disaster, and nobody with the power to do so loves the truth more than they love themselves.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Kennel posted:

:britain:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

chitoryu12 posted:

Surprisingly, no. The monarch of the United Kingdom actually maintains quite little power; though she gives power through her position, she has very little ability to directly make proclamations on how the country is run. The UK has maintained its monarchy specifically because of this: there's no reason to overthrow your king and decapitate him when he's not actually doing anything.

She can certainly give guidance and yell at people about issues, but actually trying to take the reins and steer the country herself would be a gigantic upset for the English balance of power. Chances are if she disapproves of Brexit, she's absolutely talking Cameron's ear off about it.

Isn't the Royal Family still a thing mostly because they're a huge tourist attraction?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Kennel posted:

Full commitment to #brexit everything, I see.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I believe the UK monarchy is different from the other European constitutional monarchies in that the UK monarchy has theoretical power. It's just that trying to use it would lead to a lot of trouble. In the other monarchies, such as in the Netherlands, it literally says in the constitution that the monarch does not have any power, and has no more than an advisory role to the government. So the Dutch king doesn't even have theoretical power.

Clitch posted:

Isn't the Royal Family still a thing mostly because they're a huge tourist attraction?
This is partially true. Another reason is because it's good to have an apolitical figure who can give speeches. Back to the Dutch situation, with which I'm more familiar: the law says the king does not have a public political opinion, and if he accidentally expresses one, the law should act as if it was said by the prime minister. But the king has been trained all his life to be more neutral than Switzerland.

The advantage of this is that in times of disaster, the king can give a nice speech about how we should help each other and that he's there for us and all that. Obama has that role in the US, but in his case, whenever he gives a general speech of support for the country, half of the population scoffs at his 'lies' and wish for someone with a dead hamster on his head to become president.

The amount of monarchy-haters in the Netherlands is only 5 or 10%, so the king can reach way more people with his politically neutral speeches.

On top of that, a monarch is much more iconic than a figurehead president like Germany has, and doesn't cost all that much more (presidents tend to spend a lot of money, too).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Clitch posted:

The Royal Family is basically Britain's First Family, in a sense. One of the things Elizabeth has done is that she basically took the Royal Family off public money - the Royal Family is entirely self-funded. Another reason why its continues to exist is that the Queen basically never makes any political statements. They have no political enemies, and because of this, Parliament continues to tolerate their existence.

There's definitely been an undercurrent of the idea of turning England into a Republic, but since it is practically a Republic anyway, it's never really had overwhelming support.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Quite frankly I think the British Empire is in decline.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kennel posted:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aK3BGPO_460sv.mp4

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

A White Guy posted:

Just for you non-Brits: this is the main opposition party: with the image updated to show those senior members who have resigned in the last 24 hours.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Carbon dioxide posted:

I believe the UK monarchy is different from the other European constitutional monarchies in that the UK monarchy has theoretical power. It's just that trying to use it would lead to a lot of trouble. In the other monarchies, such as in the Netherlands, it literally says in the constitution that the monarch does not have any power, and has no more than an advisory role to the government. So the Dutch king doesn't even have theoretical power.

That doesn't go for all the monarchs. For instance: According to the Danish constitution the king has all of the executive powers and shares legislative authority with parliament. This is mostly because large parts of the constitution haven't been changed since 1849. So basically when reading it you should substitute "cabinet/prime minister" for "king" to get how things work today.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So have people across the UK begun stocking up on aluminum baseball bats lately?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not spelling it that way they're not.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So have people across the UK begun stocking up on aluminum baseball bats lately?

No, they have those 6 in wide bats what for hittin' them bouncing softballs and spanking prep school classmates

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So have people across the UK begun stocking up on aluminium baseball bats lately?

FTFY

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank god Britain has sane gun laws.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Turtlicious posted:

Thank god Britain has sane gun laws.

Makes it easy for a real country to take it back under their wing. :smugdon:

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Kennel posted:

Yet the best part really was that their only goal was scored from a penalty shot. Like stealing a candy from a kid yet still Iceland crushed them. :allears:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
There's congressional primaries in New York tomorrow. In the 10th district, Jerry Nadler, a Dem who voted for the Iran deal, is being challenged by a guy named Oliver Rosenberg. Rosenberg is TOTALLY not an empty suit being propped up by pro-Israel groups to punish Nadler for his vote. He's a strong candidate who knows many things. For example, check out his opening statement from a radio debate this morning:

quote:

"I'm running because I love my city and I know we can make it fabulous. What makes New York City great is you can come from anywhere and be who you want to be in New York City and it breaks my heart to see what's happening to it. Everywhere you go it's just Duane Reades and banks. Mom and pop shops can't afford the rent. We're losing what makes New York City special. Lee's Art Shop, Renaissance Diner, H & H Bagels. I can't get my bagels and schmear. We want our bagels back!

::awkward silence::

What's next to go, Fairway? Barney Greengrass? The politicians don't care. They care about the money they get from their friends in the banks. They don't care about our city. I do. That's why I'm running. The subways are third world. The rents are too drat high. This is the year millions of people are standing up. All the problems have gotten worse in Congress. We don't take this, we're New Yorkers. We're not afraid to speak up. We need new answers, a new plan, new energy. As Alexander Hamilton says, 'This is not a moment this is the movement. Foes oppose us we take an honest stand. We roll like Moses claiming our promised land.' Rise up, rise up and vote."

You'll note that he quoted Alexander Hamilton the musical character in that stream of consciousness, not Hamilton the historical figure.

Oliver, you were a Republican as recently as last year and tried to delete a lot of pro-GOP tweets. What do you have to say about that?

quote:

"Jerry has no idea what it's like to be gay, a teenager and in the closet with the pressure to conform. When I was 19 and in the closet, I did what my family told me to do. I've grown and come to accept who I am, now who people say I should be. I am gay and I was a Democrat trapped in a Republican's body."

Oh for sure man.

There's more here: http://gothamist.com/2016/06/27/brian_lehrer-hosted_candidate_debat.php

And the full 20 minute segment here, which is worth a listen: http://www.wnyc.org/story/meet-candidates-ny-10-primary/?hootPostID=f91e0b81ac12f499316f73d7804d2c50

What a trainwreck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think this is the first one that actually made me say "Oh, my god!" out loud.

This breaks the neck.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I think this is the first one that actually made me say "Oh, my god!" out loud.

This breaks the neck.

this kills the skater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Gotcha. People get to vote, provided they make the right choices.

(This kills the democracy.)