Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I taped that episode on vhs back when Spike tv was TNN.

Now this is some Trek cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the episode where the Voyager crew is running around late 90s LA is real silly

I love it

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Automatic Slim posted:

Also, apparently Pike thought selling in Orion slave women was a viable career alternative. So much for utopia.

Ah but who are we to question the Orion culture? It's just their way!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Chomp8645 posted:

For some reason that was the only episode I taped.

I did tape p much every episode of dr who off pbs along with the last 5 min of a lot of Red Dwarf. Had to set the record time a few min ahead you see, just in case.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Prime Directive seems kinda lovely, but after looking at what all our meddling in the middle east has done for us, it's starting to seem like a pretty good policy

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Prime Directive seems kinda lovely, but after looking at what all our meddling in the middle east has done for us, it's starting to seem like a pretty good policy

We don't meddle in the middle east because we're trying to make their lives better, though. The intentions are totally different.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

plushpuffin posted:

We don't meddle in the middle east because we're trying to make their lives better, though. The intentions are totally different.

That's a fair assessment. Does that planet have oil dilithium crystals? That changes the equation.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The best character in Star Trek was Number 1 from "The Cage". Gene Roddenberry said she wasn't carried over to the second pilot because women on the test audiences thought she was "too bossy".

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
the actress probably refused to bang him

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
wait it wasn't majel was it? I would look real stupid if it was

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

AugmentedVision posted:

#1 became nurse chaple as well as the voice of the computer as well as Lwoxana Troy in addition to being a very forgiving wife.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim posted:

The best character in Star Trek was Number 1 from "The Cage". Gene Roddenberry said she wasn't carried over to the second pilot because women on the test audiences thought she was "too bossy".

I remember the execs said he had to choose between spock or #1 to keep. No Pike or martini slinging Dr. Boyce.

As a fun aside for Lost in Space, Dr. Smith and the robot were added bc of orders from the suits, so it goes both ways.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

AugmentedVision posted:

the actress probably refused to bang him

That was why Yeoman Rand never showed up again.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Chomp8645 posted:

No way. When my uncle killed himself he left me a vcr with a bunch of unlabeled tapes. Turns out they were mostly TNG episodes he had recorded as they aired. Unfortunately, in an effort to save money on tapes, he had recorded then in "SLP" mode so they were basically unwatchable after about a dozen viewings.

They were all seasons 1 and 2, which makes sense since he died around 1990.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

No way. When my uncle killed himself he left me a vcr with a bunch of unlabeled tapes. Turns out they were mostly TNG episodes he had recorded as they aired. Unfortunately, in an effort to save money on tapes, he had recorded then in "SLP" mode so they were basically unwatchable after about a dozen viewings.

:smithcloud:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Could have made for a good episode of Enterprise: the Prime Directive is so rigorously enforced in the future because of a rogue element of Starfleet stealing resources from a planet under the guise of helping the natives. Archer finds out what's going on, and... whatever Archer normally does to solve a problem. I didn't watch much Enterprise.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I remember the execs said he had to choose between spock or #1 to keep. No Pike or martini slinging Dr. Boyce.

As a fun aside for Lost in Space, Dr. Smith and the robot were added bc of orders from the suits, so it goes both ways.

Holy poo poo "the suits" saved that show from being unbearable, wow.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

criscodisco posted:

Didn't even live to see TNG get good. :ohdear:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Lol, "We need more family structure around the little boy, lest he be left to explore the planets alone. Yeah, a robot is a good idea, but have you considered an effeminate homosexual to mince around with him as well? We need to show that his folks are good parents."

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Reminder: Archer let an entire species die out even though Phlox could cure their disease because they weren't warp capable.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Holy poo poo "the suits" saved that show from being unbearable, wow.

It was originally titled Space Family Robinson, and yes, you are 100% correct.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

Lol, "We need more family structure around the little boy, lest he be left to explore the planets alone. Yeah, a robot is a good idea, but have you considered an effeminate homosexual to mince around with him as well? We need to show that his folks are good parents."

Someone asked June Lockhart at a convention if Dr. Smith was supposed to be gay and she was like "oh yes, very very gay it was known from near the start".

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tectonis posted:

Reminder: Archer let an entire species die out even though Phlox could cure their disease because they weren't warp capable.

I'll agree that the Prime Directive was a little overzealous, but it never bothered me too much since Trek (and especially TNG) showed that the universe was positively teeming with life, on planets and otherwise.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Dr. Smith was supposed to be a cunning commie saboteur for the first couple of episodes but Major West's one piece suit buldge did him in for a loop.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I'll agree that the Prime Directive was a little overzealous, but it never bothered me too much since Trek (and especially TNG) showed that the universe was positively teeming with life, on planets and otherwise.

There was no Prime Directive during Enterprise which was the point of the episode. I think that is also the episode where Archer says something like "if only there was some directive that we could follow".

We all know the PD is applied in wildly inconsistent ways throughout the franchise but overall it's a good idea IMO. Stopping asteroids or that atmosphere thing that Worf's brother was dealing with are good but showing up and trading antimatter tech for dilithium mining rights is not good.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tectonis posted:

I remember it being kind of fun watching the episode progress and trying to figure out who was actually the bigger rear end in a top hat.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tectonis posted:

There was no Prime Directive during Enterprise which was the point of the episode. I think that is also the episode where Archer says something like "if only there was some directive that we could follow".

We all know the PD is applied in wildly inconsistent ways throughout the franchise but overall it's a good idea IMO. Stopping asteroids or that atmosphere thing that Worf's brother was dealing with are good but showing up and trading antimatter tech for dilithium mining rights is not good.

It's funny because in the first season or two of TNG they regularly visited planets that didn't seem to have warp technology, like the planet that wanted to execute Wesley or the vak-seen planet.

I think the only good use of it was when dealing with the Mintaukins (or whatever) in Who Watches the Watchers? or the one where Riker got injured and Bebe Neuwirth wanted to play his trombone.

Also anyone who doesn't let Bebe Neuwirth climb aboard their wiener is a fool. A damned fool. She got legs, she knows how to use 'em.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tectonis posted:

That's how it's always been, there's lots to poo poo on Archer about, but that's not one of them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Automatic Slim posted:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Gene Roddenberry lied. It had nothing to do with Number One being a woman, and everything to do with the fact that NBC didn't want to give a major role on an expensive series to an actress just because she was banging Gene. All he had to do was re-cast the part and Number One would have been one of the recurring characters.

Instead, Gene didn't want to look like an ineffectual producer to his girlfriend, so instead he lied and said those big mean sexist pigs at the network said he could only have one or the other, and he had to go with the sharp-eared alien to make the show more outer-space.

AugmentedVision posted:

lol

we'll let this one slide :buddy:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh, Pike didn't carry over because Jeffrey Hunter('s wife) turned down doing the second pilot (since absolutely nobody expected there to ever be a 'second pilot', so it wasn't covered in the contract that Hunter had signed), not because of the network.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Yeah, i can believe both of those things

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Inside Star Trek by Herbert Solow and Robert Justman should be mandatory reading for every Star Trek fan

it's seriously a great read

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Inside Star Trek by Herbert Solow and Robert Justman should be mandatory reading for every Star Trek fan

Is that the unpublished book about how awful making Insurrection was

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Thought this said "masturbatory reading". checks out

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

oh, Pike didn't carry over because Jeffrey Hunter('s wife) turned down doing the second pilot (since absolutely nobody expected there to ever be a 'second pilot', so it wasn't covered in the contract that Hunter had signed), not because of the network.

Jeffrey Hunter went on to play Jesus and died young.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

How does it rank with Shatner's "Star Trek Memories"?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Speaking of Insurrection, the director did Executive Decision and edited pretty much ever action movie of the 90s, so it must have been an unforgettable fluke.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There's a story of Frakes always sending back scripts to the writers that he "rewrote" and the note was inevitably just "riker bangs the alien"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

oldpainless posted:

There's a story of Frakes always sending back scripts to the writers that he "rewrote" and the note was inevitably just "riker bangs the alien"

:riker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is that the unpublished book about how awful making Insurrection was

No, you're thinking of Fade In.

Automatic Slim posted:

How does it rank with Shatner's "Star Trek Memories"?

Inside Star Trek is the better book.