Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Here's a thought, since a couple of the primarchs have described terminator armor, are they able to get into an assault ram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Here's a thought, since a couple of the primarchs have described terminator armor, are they able to get into an assault ram?

Now I'm picturing Horus squeezing his rear end into a ram and coming out like one of those Japanese cube watermelons.

Also, here's the list I'm working on, aiming for a mix of mobile fire and static artillery.

1500 points, generic legion (Stubborn)

HQ
Centurion-Delegatus (125)
- Power weapon, Jetbike, Melta bombs

Centurion-Librarian (160)
- Mastery level 2, Force weapon, Jetbike

TROOPS
Tacticals x10 (185)
- Rhino

Tacticals x10 (185)
- Rhino

FAST ATTACK
Javelin Attack Speeder (80)
- TL cyclone missile, Hunter-Killer missile x1

- TL cyclone missiles, Hunter-Killer missile x1

Skyhunter Jetbike Squadron x5 (205)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dodorodeo (220)
- Aioli sauce missiles

Laser-Destroyer Vindicator (130)

Both Centurions join the Jetbike squad and go shooting. Most likely a power and force axe for both.
The Vindicators are there to sit back and pop armor and eventually any Sv 2 stuff. The Deredeo does the same and covers AA duty.
The Javelins outflank and unload S8 shots into the enemy's rear elements.
The tacticals scurry off to objectives and try to not to bring shame to their legion. Theirs is probably the toughest of tasks :v:

I kind of wish I could buy one extra jetbike and change the bolters to two volkite culverins, but I'm starved on points. Also too much anti armor? But I mostly want to use the toys I got, but I'm still open to changing things.

e. One idea, I could drop a Vindicator and use the points for an extra jetbike + 2x culverins.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Secutarii going into production, guess we can expect to get them at the Open Day.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

I think I get the problem you're having. How many coats of clear red are you doing?

For my TS I start with the base:
Vallejo Metallic Color Gloss Black -> MC Gunmetal Grey -> MC Gold -> MC White Aluminium.
(I'm going to be changing that formula a bit, because the gloss primer is amazing on large, not too detailed surfaces like the model planes it was made for, but getting a mirrored coat on complex surfaces is a pain. You can sort of see what I mean on the front-most guy's legs (mirror finish) and the the shoulderpads (slightly fuzzier).)

Anyway after that I do the red, which takes 5 to 7 coats. The clear paints are pretty thick , if you go too heavy it just makes a mess as you found out.
Here's two tests I did, using Angron Red (the one you have) and Tamiya Clear Red (the one I ended up preferring). In both cases you do a light spray, wait for it to try, and keep repeating until you get the color you want.

Tamita is thinned 1:1 with X-20A Thinner, Angron Red is 4:1.

It's tempting to go heavy with the first two coats because you barely notice they are there (that's why I kept the original non-tinted color as a reference) but slow and steady gets the best results. If you're not doing multiple models at the same time then a hairdryer is very useful since you want the previous coat to be dry or almost dry before moving to the next.

e. I've seen someone get good results with Createx AutoAir Candy, but nothing good out of the regular transparents. Might want to ditch that and stick with Angron Red or something more accessible like Tamiya Clear Red.

Thank you for this answer, it clears up a huge amount of missing information, I was treating a "few" as about 3 as opposed to 5-7. Also, I'm a complete idiot for not testing on spoons before painting/stripping my mans several times (thankfully Totally Awesome is gentle)

I'm going to mostly use VMA metallics now because the GW ones give me a headache constantly with flow issues. Maybe Steel -> Relictor Gold -> aluminum (or silver?)

What's the gold you used on the spoon second from the left with the Angron Red? I like the way the red came out on that one.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 27, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hencoe posted:

Under the consolidated HQ as it currently exists, I think the answer is "yes, but since they're Very Bulky and not Bulky, they're still Very Bulky." However, I seem to recall an earlier FAQ specifically addressing this question and responding in the negative.

Also I think it's a terrible idea, although at least with Horus + Justaerin they could come in on a specific turn without rolling. But it's still like 1250 pts in a single flyer.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thank you for this answer, it clears up a huge amount of missing information, I was treating a "few" as about 3 as opposed to 5-7. Also, I'm a complete idiot for not testing on spoons before painting/stripping my mans several times (thankfully Totally Awesome is gentle)

I'm going to mostly use VMA metallics now because the GW ones give me a headache constantly with flow issues. Maybe Steel -> Relictor Gold -> aluminum (or silver?)

What's the gold you used on the spoon second from the left with the Angron Red? I like the way the red came out on that one.

Good choice on the VMA, the various silvers/non-gold metals from that line are great. I'd probably go a step darker with Black Metal or Gunmetal, but that just depends on how strong you like the shadows.

The gold is Metal Color Gold, all the spoons were done with that one. It has a slight greenish hue to it that I dislike for model painting, but it's perfect as a base for the clear red. Toss a bit of Copper into that Gold though and it's awesome as a standard paint (2:1 Gold + Copper is what I do for the Tsons' shiny bits).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I so rarely see this guy painted in non-Word Bearers colors, but here's the Chaplain from Betrayal at Calth:

I tried adding a transfer to his cape to give it some cool trim but I couldn't get it to sit right among all the flowing fabric, so I just tossed that out. Unfortunately it kinda bleached the area I'd tried applying the transfer to, but I was able to touch it up and fix the problem.

PS: Are Chaplains useful in Heresy? I'm guessing a footbound Chaplain with a plasma pistol is only slightly more useful in 30k than he is in 40k but I'm curious what the consensus is on the guys.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Well a 30k chaplain gets any power weapon instead of a crozius, his zealot is pretty strong in a tactical blob with an extra CCW. Plus he gets most of the normal centurion options.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Fearless is especially valuable in Zone Mortalis or on non-Fearless elite units that you don't want to risk running away. I have one with a magnetized jump pack to run with my Reaver blob, or without for ZM duty.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

PS: Are Chaplains useful in Heresy? I'm guessing a footbound Chaplain with a plasma pistol is only slightly more useful in 30k than he is in 40k but I'm curious what the consensus is on the guys.
Yep. Chaplains are one of the few ways to get Fearless where you want it in 30k and are worth it just for that. A chaplain and an apothecary can make even a basic 20-man blob pretty dang scary or at least almost unmovable. Or shove them in with some elites to make them mash things better.

And yeah, you can give them a power axe or sword instead of their more typical maul. I converted my Calth chaplain to have a sword (Dark Angels - upgraded to a Caliban warblade for free), a bolt pistol because I'll never use the plasma, and a different helmet just because. Should've probably been an axe since there're so many 2+ characters rolling around, but gently caress it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Okay cool! I was a little worried that I'd have yet another power armor character who never sees the tabletop. I know morale is super important in 30k so sticking him with one of my tac blobs will probably be the way to go.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Chaplain, apothecary, navigator, and in a 15 man breacher squad makes Hixson and Pannascope very angry. It's easy to avoid though. I regularly take chaplains as they're just good relatively inexpensive consuls.

Mango Polo posted:

Now I'm picturing Horus squeezing his rear end into a ram and coming out like one of those Japanese cube watermelons.

Also, here's the list I'm working on, aiming for a mix of mobile fire and static artillery.

1500 points, generic legion (Stubborn)

HQ
Centurion-Delegatus (125)
- Power weapon, Jetbike, Melta bombs

Centurion-Librarian (160)
- Mastery level 2, Force weapon, Jetbike

TROOPS
Tacticals x10 (185)
- Rhino

Tacticals x10 (185)
- Rhino

FAST ATTACK
- TL cyclone missile, Hunter-Killer missile x1

- TL cyclone missiles, Hunter-Killer missile x1

Skyhunter Jetbike Squadron x5 (205)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dodorodeo (220)
- Aioli sauce missiles

Both Centurions join the Jetbike squad and go shooting. Most likely a power and force axe for both.
The Vindicators are there to sit back and pop armor and eventually any Sv 2 stuff. The Deredeo does the same and covers AA duty.
The Javelins outflank and unload S8 shots into the enemy's rear elements.
The tacticals scurry off to objectives and try to not to bring shame to their legion. Theirs is probably the toughest of tasks :v:

I kind of wish I could buy one extra jetbike and change the bolters to two volkite culverins, but I'm starved on points. Also too much anti armor? But I mostly want to use the toys I got, but I'm still open to changing things.

e. One idea, I could drop a Vindicator and use the points for an extra jetbike + 2x culverins.

Yeah, your weak link here are your tactical squads. I don't know how you'd buff them up without dropping the skyhunters though. Also, why the Delegatus if you're not running his unique ROW?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Also, why the Delegatus if you're not running his unique ROW?

Good question. I need a second HQ due to the Support Officer rule on the librarian and I was probably using him to get veteran troops; but cheapo squads of tacticals do about the same job in this list for cheaper. I can keep him as a bog standard Centurion then. But the more I think about it, the more dropping one vindicator for the extra bike and two culverins sounds like the way to go. With divination's Fortune that's 8 reliable S6 shots from 48" + move, and if I'm lucky enough to get Misfortune the bikes can poo poo all over most things with ease.

Back to the HQ thing, what about a Siege Breaker? That'd give Tank Hunter to the volkites and I can cram in some phosphex rapiers at 1750 points. Doesn't confer Tank Hunter to jetbikes, gently caress you FW.

Not that it matters come November the whole thing will get hosed. Inferno will probably stipulate that bagel angels Thousand Sons are not allowed more than one heavy support and one fast attack choice to represent their dinky little legion size.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Good choice on the VMA, the various silvers/non-gold metals from that line are great. I'd probably go a step darker with Black Metal or Gunmetal, but that just depends on how strong you like the shadows.

The gold is Metal Color Gold, all the spoons were done with that one. It has a slight greenish hue to it that I dislike for model painting, but it's perfect as a base for the clear red. Toss a bit of Copper into that Gold though and it's awesome as a standard paint (2:1 Gold + Copper is what I do for the Tsons' shiny bits).

Here's the best choice I have for copper. The coat on the spoons is a single coat of the steel- from right to left I have CA Relictor Gold, VMA plain yellow, CA averland sunset, and standard Citadel layer of Auric armor gold.

For brass/copper I have all sorts of citadel metallics to mix in. I'll probably get more spoons tomorrow and order VMA gold but that's a 2-day Amazon wait.

Honestly I love VMA paint. I've never had a single issue with it like I have with GW's

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Not that it matters come November the whole thing will get hosed. Inferno will probably stipulate that bagel angels Thousand Sons are not allowed more than one heavy support and one fast attack choice to represent their dinky little legion size.

I'm thinking more reapers, robits, and psyker stuff?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Secutarii going into production, guess we can expect to get them at the Open Day.

Bringing this up again because I'm extremely excited at the prospect of baby shock lances and shield walls. Piles of secutarii pouring out of party trains is going to be fun as hell in 30 and 40k. (Hopefully)

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Which is the best rapier battery to start with? Do they make one with a giant chain axe?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

Here's the best choice I have for copper. The coat on the spoons is a single coat of the steel- from right to left I have CA Relictor Gold, VMA plain yellow, CA averland sunset, and standard Citadel layer of Auric armor gold.

For brass/copper I have all sorts of citadel metallics to mix in. I'll probably get more spoons tomorrow and order VMA gold but that's a 2-day Amazon wait.

Honestly I love VMA paint. I've never had a single issue with it like I have with GW's

Yeah don't worry about copper, I just mentioned that one because the Metal Color Gold is green as hell and needs another color to warm it up. The VMA Gold is probably fine.

I do think that Steel might be a tad too bright, but it's worth trying out. E. I've seen someone mention they mix in a little bit of straight black into the Steel to darken it. Might be worth trying.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 28, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Yeah don't worry about copper, I just mentioned that one because the Metal Color Gold is green as hell and needs another color to warm it up. The VMA Gold is probably fine.

I do think that Steel might be a tad too bright, but it's worth trying out. E. I've seen someone mention they mix in a little bit of straight black into the Steel to darken it. Might be worth trying.

Yep, it is too light. I don't think I want to mix for this for consistency- I don't have confidence that down the road I'll have it match.

I've gone ahead and ordered gun metal and also black metal from Amazon.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GreenMarine posted:

Which is the best rapier battery to start with? Do they make one with a giant chain axe?

The ones I see people recommend most are Laser Destroyer and Thudd batteries. LDs are for getting some decently cheap anti-vehicle firepower into a list, which can be a bit of a struggle since not a lot of things in 30k go for under 200 points. The quad-mortars are for pie plating and for creative and effective uses of Nuncio-Voxes versus infantry blobs by just forcing a huge mass of saving throws. I hear Grav isn't bad, just very middle of the road between these two - not good enough for heavy vehicles, not effective enough versus large squads of infantry.

The real answer is quad-bolters fluffed to shoot tiny chainswords.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The thing I like about the laser destroyers is that they have a pretty good chance of just vaporizing a vehicle since they're AP1. It's really the only reason to take them instead of the Thudd guns.

panascope fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 28, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Theyre also very resilient with t7

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I like stealing other people's ideas, this time from Hixon.

Except I can't sculpt for poo poo so I steal from other races too. Seems a bit small, but you know what they say about deredeos with small tabards?

e.:

Alright I think I'm tired and should go to bed now.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 28, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The new AP3 thudds are crazy, but they're no longer in the land of cheap. I hear good things about grav rapiers since they can haywire things like spartans, but it takes a legion that can grant them infiltrate to get them into position.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The quad-mortars are for pie plating and for creative and effective uses of Phosphex

ftfy

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Quad launchers are amazing and if I ever want to not have anyone to play against ever again I'll get more of them.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ruh roh

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
More plastic 30k to be revealed in the next WD?

https://www.spikeybits.com/2016/06/breaking-gws-new-teaser-big-one.html

E. Beaten like Russ by Angron.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

More plastic 30k to be revealed in the next WD?

https://www.spikeybits.com/2016/06/breaking-gws-new-teaser-big-one.html

E. Beaten like Russ by Angron.

gently caress yes. Plastic destroyers / assault squads / tartaros terminators / a vehicle please.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Or actually this might just be the BAC content sold individually. Pretty sure now that I think about it, with the "betrayal" keyword.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That'll be interesting. Time to stock up on the cheap parted out squads on eBay then.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Agreed, GWs inability to use oxford commas triggers me greatly

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone have any feedback or thoughts on this zenithal treatment before I add the base white? I'm trying to do this the BULBASAUR (tm) way. It goes from black, to US Grey, to light grey, to 50/50 light grey and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sBttFQR5pY

The next thing would be to add a layer of 100% white across the whole model...

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

GreenMarine posted:

Anyone have any feedback or thoughts on this zenithal treatment before I add the base white? I'm trying to do this the BULBASAUR (tm) way. It goes from black, to US Grey, to light grey, to 50/50 light grey and white.

Looks tight dude you are on the right track for sure, I did a 3 step process with mine because I am lazy and they turned out fine,

protip though do one mans the whole way through the process before you do the whole batch just in case your not happy with how it turns out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finally something to *cross* post in this thread.

Starting an 8th Legion army for a massive 6 person project. First squad complete. Couldn't find my black fabric, so they went on a display board.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Really nice job on those blues!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those Night Lords are dope but the sarge looks like he could use a hand.

Killer_Bees! posted:

Looks tight dude you are on the right track for sure, I did a 3 step process with mine because I am lazy and they turned out fine,

protip though do one mans the whole way through the process before you do the whole batch just in case your not happy with how it turns out.
These guys own too. That clean white is lovely.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Clean and World Eaters doesn't belong in the same sentence

EDIT: None of this was painted last week... had a good run of evenings free to just chillax and paint.

Behold the demonic servants of the Unspeaking, and their Gal Vorbak bretheren. Destroyers of knowledge and understanding.

All of these were done by following Bulbasaur's Zenithal Highlighting guidelines, and using inks afterwards.

Bit of a pic dump, but I'm proud of the progress!

Next up is to paint 5 more Gal Vorbak (shouldn't take long), and then next month I'm working on all their bases and pulling the trigger on this guy to be their demon prince (I know the company is made of awful people, but... pretty resin!)

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 29, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

Those Night Lords are dope but the sarge looks like he could use a hand.

Waiting on Chainglaives to be released from ForgeWorld :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

Waiting on Chainglaives to be released from ForgeWorld :(

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Close-Combat-Weapons/Chain-Glaives