Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mcjomar posted:

I've been testing out the phawk so far - most variants will lose out because of guns in arms issues.
Some of the energy quirks play out kind of nice, but generally not great.
And those quirks for machineguns are just garbage.

I've not stuffed an XL of suitable size to test for max speed yet though.
They're definitely best off as long range pokers though, because in a brawl people know to just tear the arms right off.

The arms have 28 armor, not much more than a 35 tonner light.

The PHX is just a loving garbage mech. Look you're like me - you bought it ages ago so you're going to master it because gently caress it, fight? Ok great, do that. But then dump it ASAP because it's not salvageable with that geometry/size in a 45 tonner.

The Huntsman would have been a much better buy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

??? how will that help me roleplay this???

Jackfire

Symmetrical version, slower though, but then again its a spit and not a Me.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Catfire

2x Hispanos, 4x Brownings.
Sadly not symmetrical, but at least the numbers are correct.

This actually looks semi fun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's good that some things in MWO never change. Like how it sometimes takes a full minute to load the mech bay after a match because :pgi:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

It's good that some things in MWO never change. Like how it sometimes takes a full minute to load the mech bay after a match because :pgi:

Oh the joys of the grab bag event...
"Hey you won 10 MC, let me load 5 minutes to add +10 of somethingto your account!"

Loading times in general are abysmal in TYOOL 2016.
Also i cant alt-tab out or in while its in "loading" state, all i get is a black screen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Man run that poo poo windowed. I get some good forums shitposting done waiting for matches to start.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man run that poo poo windowed. I get some good forums shitposting done waiting for matches to start.

This basically covers it. If you need your immersion, windowed fullscreen works really well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

mcjomar posted:

They're definitely best off as long range pokers though, because in a brawl people know to just tear the arms right off.
Or ML ambushers. Seriously, 8 ML's are a lot of firepower when people are too dumb to shoot back at you.

But yeah I've been working on my Locust mastery for a bit and one time me and an Jenner got into a mini-brawl with 2 PHX's and a Jenner 2C on the north coast of Crimson. By the time my buddy Jenner had died they had some serious holes in their armor (we mostly focused on the PHX's) with one missing an arm and I stripped the other three arms by myself leaving them weaponless. Made the Jenner 2C run too when he figured that his SRM 4's weren't going to cut it against my 6 SPL's and he had jump jets to get away from me quickly, though I did eat into his back a bit.

It was a good game, even if we lost because I was third on damage at 400+ with the rest being sub 200.

Now I just have to finish eliting them, including the 3V. Should have gone with the M variants for my third :suicide:

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

armchairyoda posted:

I may have uninstalled, now I shall only make (mostly) joking personal slights against other posters unless I reinstall.

Don't worry, I still have booz.
reinstall with me so we can be drunk old men together, my plastic bottle whiskey is lonely

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

DOMDOM posted:

reinstall with me so we can be drunk old men together, my plastic bottle whiskey is lonely

Tempting, but I am also now in the "acceptance" phase of a drunken steam sale bender. I apparently dodged a bullet and didn't see some terrible animes pop up to gift to unsuspecting (BUT DESERVING) goons. Some of you fuckers got EXTREMELY lucky.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
ok well after you buy a bunch of games you are never going to play then

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mcjomar posted:

I've been testing out the phawk so far - most variants will lose out because of guns in arms issues.
Some of the energy quirks play out kind of nice, but generally not great.
And those quirks for machineguns are just garbage.

I've not stuffed an XL of suitable size to test for max speed yet though.

Had a fun game with you in my... Warhammer? On Caustic. We rolled up the flank and smooshed them in the Caldera.

I've been having some good games in the new Frozen City.

If I were PGI I'd take the old maps and have them as a base for 8v8 fights with hilariously underpowered canon builds.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I know it's stupid to put more than 3 LPLs on a mech but if I wanted to do i, which chassis would be the best/have the best quirks? I just want to boat as many LPLs as possible while still being somewhat useful.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Battlemaster rocking 5 lpl.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TjyvTompa posted:

I know it's stupid to put more than 3 LPLs on a mech but if I wanted to do i, which chassis would be the best/have the best quirks? I just want to boat as many LPLs as possible while still being somewhat useful.

Cataphract 1x, awesome 8q? From memory could be wrong.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

8Q gets 5% better heat gen but 9M gets a 10% laser duration and an engine cap that lets the mech go more than 60kph.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are PPCs still at the point where I should just be boating ERLLs for that kind of work instead?

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 28, 2016

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

armchairyoda posted:

Tempting, but I am also now in the "acceptance" phase of a drunken steam sale bender. I apparently dodged a bullet and didn't see some terrible animes pop up to gift to unsuspecting (BUT DESERVING) goons. Some of you fuckers got EXTREMELY lucky.

My steam discovery queue has been 75% anime pedophilia Reddit games since the last time you did that you beautiful bastard. Now come play War Thunder

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Orv posted:

Are PPCs still at the point where I should just be boating ERLLs for that kind of work instead?

There are a couple of mechs that can do PPC's well but most of the time you'll want ERLL's, since minimum range can be very annoying. ERPPC's don't have one, but they run really hot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Second question, why the gently caress did they make Griffon's the size of a goddamn Atlas, there goes all that time and Cbills I put into them, loving :pgi:

E: I mean they were never small but now that 55-ton armor is basically less than tissue because you're first target all day.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 28, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Second question, why the gently caress did they make Griffon's the size of a goddamn Atlas, there goes all that time and Cbills I put into them, loving :pgi:

E: I mean they were never small but now that 55-ton armor is basically less than tissue because you're first target all day.

Yeah I have no answer for you on that. Being a giant towering target was always the major weakness of the (otherwise excellent) Griffins.

If it makes you feel any better (it won't) from the cockpit of the 45 ton Phoenix Hawk you can look down into the cockpit of a Dragon or stand eye to eye with a Warhammer pilot.

If this resizing sticks (I guess it will) then a major, MAJOR, re-quirking needs to happen ASAP.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll just have to Jenner IIC or Stormcrow for my SRM jollies like some kind of boring person.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

I'll just have to Jenner IIC or Stormcrow for my SRM jollies like some kind of boring person.

Good news! Your Jenner IIC is now nearly the same size as your Stormcrow :thumbsup:

Cauldron Born and Shadow Cats are in a pretty good place after the "re-sizening" but your Stormcrow is still a Stormcrow and also excellent regardless.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:cripes:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want lights your options are now 1) Locust or 2) Arctic Cheetah. There are no other lights.

Even the Urbanmech (the Urbanmech) got a size boost.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess it's a good thing the Locust is my favorite mech. What a goddamn mess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On the upside your locust was shrunk and is now an absolute nightmare to hit.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Had a fun game with you in my... Warhammer? On Caustic. We rolled up the flank and smooshed them in the Caldera.

I've been having some good games in the new Frozen City.

If I were PGI I'd take the old maps and have them as a base for 8v8 fights with hilariously underpowered canon builds.

Yeah that was me alright - I've only been using the cbill hawks, because I figure if I'm going to grind open the mastery window, I might as well try to scrape a little cash back.
The hawk is still garbage tier compared to the 'hammer, 'rauder, and so on though. Of course, in tier 4 it's not really hard (even with MWO being swingy) to get major damage, points, and wins.

I've yet to try anything with ECM or 8ML of doom on it though, for hawks.
But yeah, much like some of the humanoid lights, it needs a shrink cycle in the mech-washer.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DancingShade posted:

If you want lights your options are now 1) Locust or 2) Arctic Cheetah. There are no other lights.

Even the Urbanmech (the Urbanmech) got a size boost.

At least when you're in something bigger. When you're not all of a sudden you've got these annoying zombie Wolfhounds, that weird Urbanmech PPC sniper and tons of Jenner IIC's out for blood in addition to the above two.
Firestarter's and Oxide's too but uh, all the one's I've seen have died in agony to something else.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 28, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
So after a weekend of playing I'm still bad. Not surprising. Thanks to the double XP event going on everything is unlocked on most of the mechs I do have. I'm starting to get a sort of decent feel for how a game is going to go as well. If I see tons of LRMs coming from our side at the start it's likely to not go well. The opposite also seems to hold true...lots of LRMs incoming at the start, just keep moving from cover to cover out of LoS and start working what you do find over. The Cent and Hunchback I've been playing the most by virtue of the being the simplest to do well in. I've laid off the King Crab since unlocking the base skills because I just couldn't seem to do very well in it. Atlas on the other hand has been quite forgiving to play....amble forward and let things shoot you while blasting whatever's in front first. Catapult with 4 MPLs and SRMs has been excellent for me as well.

The only comment I have is that the money grind in this seems fairly soul crushing. I used most of the starter cash to refit 5 of the legacy mechs and after 55 games have 6.5 mil to show for it. Some of that might be the learning curve though. I'm averaging ~150k per game with the 30% mech bonus and premium time activated. Being a WoT nerd stats are kind of ingrained in me. What should I consider a good game vs a great game monetarily? Also, are pubbies really really bad at assault? It's the only game mode where I have a significant difference in winrate, credits per game, and exp per game relative to all other modes.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
I've still got like 6 days of premium from hitting lvl 2 Mercenary so I'll be playing again this week. Does anybody have good Hunchback IIc builds? I'm just awful in that mech, maybe 300 dmg tops.

I found some hotfix's for my processor in windows (AMD FX-6100) and I'm getting much better performance out of MWO. I have a very long user.cfg but something seems to be working if anybody else has issues like I did. Also going into nvidia control panel and setting Maxframesahead to 1 and shader cache to off seems to have helped.
-------

Played a good mech game today wanted to share this.
Trying to play through the Titanium Trilogy, it seems to have the best 3dfx glide support and best texturing of all the versions but I could be wrong about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4-klPb5BY

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eatpants posted:

I've still got like 6 days of premium from hitting lvl 2 Mercenary so I'll be playing again this week. Does anybody have good Hunchback IIc builds? I'm just awful in that mech, maybe 300 dmg tops.

I found some hotfix's for my processor in windows (AMD FX-6100) and I'm getting much better performance out of MWO. I have a very long user.cfg but something seems to be working if anybody else has issues like I did. Also going into nvidia control panel and setting Maxframesahead to 1 and shader cache to off seems to have helped.
-------

Played a good mech game today wanted to share this.
Trying to play through the Titanium Trilogy, it seems to have the best 3dfx glide support and best texturing of all the versions but I could be wrong about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4-klPb5BY

dual gauss with JJs is pretty clutch (if incredibly fragile)

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=367&l=e83f4bffb244983872aa0b2d4efed535bd99765e

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Any "problems" with this build? http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=7cf80d76906d6c083f177d61d2503ac8f062f174
The "official" metamechs build for the 8Q is 4 PPCs so 4 LPLs are comparable I guess. The only unknown factor to me is, how does the Awesomes handle? Would it even be worth spending the c-bills just to try it out?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TjyvTompa posted:

Any "problems" with this build? http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=7cf80d76906d6c083f177d61d2503ac8f062f174
The "official" metamechs build for the 8Q is 4 PPCs so 4 LPLs are comparable I guess. The only unknown factor to me is, how does the Awesomes handle? Would it even be worth spending the c-bills just to try it out?

the problem with it is that it's an Awesome, and Awesomes are bad

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TjyvTompa posted:

The Awesome has been terrible since forever because its barn-door shape makes it impossible to miss and frightfully easy to core even with a STD engine.

It hasn't been given nearly enough +structure quirks to make up for it. What it does have are strong-to-decent PPC and LRM quirks, which not coincidentally allow it to spend most of its time behind cover. Whereas putting pulse lasers or SRMs on an Awesome and taking it into a brawl is pretty much suicide.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Shove all the weapons on to the right side and use your left to absorb incoming fire. The awesome unfortunately doesn't live up to its regardless of what you do with it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So after a weekend of playing I'm still bad. Not surprising. Thanks to the double XP event going on everything is unlocked on most of the mechs I do have. I'm starting to get a sort of decent feel for how a game is going to go as well. If I see tons of LRMs coming from our side at the start it's likely to not go well. The opposite also seems to hold true...lots of LRMs incoming at the start, just keep moving from cover to cover out of LoS and start working what you do find over. The Cent and Hunchback I've been playing the most by virtue of the being the simplest to do well in. I've laid off the King Crab since unlocking the base skills because I just couldn't seem to do very well in it. Atlas on the other hand has been quite forgiving to play....amble forward and let things shoot you while blasting whatever's in front first. Catapult with 4 MPLs and SRMs has been excellent for me as well.

The only comment I have is that the money grind in this seems fairly soul crushing. I used most of the starter cash to refit 5 of the legacy mechs and after 55 games have 6.5 mil to show for it. Some of that might be the learning curve though. I'm averaging ~150k per game with the 30% mech bonus and premium time activated. Being a WoT nerd stats are kind of ingrained in me. What should I consider a good game vs a great game monetarily? Also, are pubbies really really bad at assault? It's the only game mode where I have a significant difference in winrate, credits per game, and exp per game relative to all other modes.

If you're getting 2-3 kills and dying late, or dying early but helping your team win then you're doing OK. Re damage, anything over 500 is a good match but it's only a rough guide.

Light play is ridiculously fun, so getting an Arctic cheetah would be a good move from where you are. Never stop running, don't fight fair, chew butt meat.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TBH I would honestly not deadside the 8Q. I doggedly run it a lot because I love Awesomes and everyone else is wrong and I don't care that they're terrible.

As low as the torso mounts are on the Awesome, the arm mounts are slightly lower and much wider- plus, the side torsi are pretty poo poo at absorbing damage but the arms are actually pretty good at it.

Finally, if you're really determined to run quad LPL in an assault, I do actually do that sometimes- in a Stalker: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=47&l=3aa71521ab5879c95156babc9906ff07dbd4fda2 The other nice thing about choosing to do this in a Stalker instead of an Awesome is that you can segue into other nice Stalkers when you're done with this one, like the 4N which is still fantastic despite repeated nerfs and the 5M Missile Dildo which is hilarious. The STK loses out on 10% energy heat gen compared to the 8Q, but that's worth it for the high mounts, excellent shape at absorbing damage, and higher number of heatsinks you can jam in. The only thing the 8Q does better is PPCs, because of its cumulative 30% heat gen reduction and 50% speed boost when using them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The money grind seems soul crushing until you've got a mechbay full of mechs that you've tweaked to your satisfaction and you don't have more bays/mechs you want to try out. Or in other words, it's only soul crushing when you want/are able to spend all of it, once you can't it becomes meaningless unless you really like tweaking your builds regularly or gain interest in a mech.

Good and Great are subjective as heck. Monetarily, more damage means more money (the one thing LRM's excel at,) more kills (Blows earn more than Assists, Assists are really easy to get) means more money and wins get you the most money. Enough that you have do insanely well in damage/kills/components etc. in order to break even with a loss. Example: A 300k game with 30% and premium becomes like, 120-150k without a win.
There's a few misc things such as UAV bonuses and Scouting which are more for lights who generally subsist on Assists for the majority of their money, but the above is the standard metric.

To put some more concrete numbers to the general terms:
A Good Game typically has me getting either 2+kills or 5+ assists and a win with ~300+ damage dealt.
A Great Game for me is 4+kills, 10+ assists and ~600+ damage dealt. (With a win it's even better but this gets me about the same as a good game on a loss without premium in my Splatwolf.)

Pubbies are bad at everything, the only thing separating Assault from Skirmish is a couple of extra tactical options (cap base to distract enemy/break a firing line etc.) and the people who complain when both teams sail past each other in the night to cap the bases without a shot being fired. The whole base cap mechanic and the teams being able to avoid each other is probably what's messing up your stats (I just checked mine and it's the only game mode I have more losses than wins in, so there's that to consider.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hi everybody! I'm back again, tell me new the new stuffs.

• Locked thread