Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

Waiting for sales? Shameful.

After I've already bought the DLC once, I grab it again in sales for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Crabtree posted:

After I've already bought the DLC once, I grab it again in sales for other people.

SHAMEFUL.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

I don't know how many times I've bought shotgun and BBQ pack.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
In my quest to look as silly as possible while clicking all of the police i tried to wrap my head around the mask system. I still have a dozen old customized masks with pattern/colors in my inventory as well as a ton of boring unpainted ones (mostly event ones), but apparently there's now a separate "stash" that has a ton of unlocked/dlc ones?

I'm not quite certain when it is safe to sell/return masks that i don't want to use right now to later retrieve them from my stash. Some can be sold, others not? It says "Buy mask" but then i'm "assembling" them (possibly using materials?). The game doesn't seem to point out which resources/actions are one-use and which ones have infinite uses (or just a slight money cost), and which masks i actually "own" vs just have the ability to assemble/purchase. And the drop rates seem low enough for me to not learn the pitfalls of this system by trial and error.

I imagine that's all much more self-evident when you stuck with the game through the changes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

In my quest to look as silly as possible while clicking all of the police i tried to wrap my head around the mask system. I still have a dozen old customized masks with pattern/colors in my inventory as well as a ton of boring unpainted ones (mostly event ones), but apparently there's now a separate "stash" that has a ton of unlocked/dlc ones?

I'm not quite certain when it is safe to sell/return masks that i don't want to use right now to later retrieve them from my stash. Some can be sold, others not? It says "Buy mask" but then i'm "assembling" them (possibly using materials?). The game doesn't seem to point out which resources/actions are one-use and which ones have infinite uses (or just a slight money cost), and which masks i actually "own" vs just have the ability to assemble/purchase. And the drop rates seem low enough for me to not learn the pitfalls of this system by trial and error.

I imagine that's all much more self-evident when you stuck with the game through the changes.

Every mask you can buy is single use - if you decide to sell it, it's gone. Everything that you "Assemble" is multi-use: you can return the mask to the stash and the only things you lose are color and pattern.

But not everytime - patterns locked behind achievements will be returned to the stash once you sell/return the mask they were on. I think it's the same for Infamous ones. Colors are lost tho.

The stash is "list of all the masks you can buy", that includes:
-masks you found via card drops
-masks you get from DLCs
-infamous masks
-masks for joining the community
-collaboration masks

Those masks are just the store front - to actually use them in-game, you need to buy/assemble them. Once you do, one copy of that mask is added to your inventory. It doesn't come standard with any color or pattern.
Once the mask is in your inventory, you can equip it, edit it, or sell/return it. Every mask in your inventory can only be customised once - you can apply one material, one color and one pattern. You don't need to apply all of that, but patterns will not be visible until colored. Once a mask has been customised, it cannot be edited, only sold/returned.

PS: gently caress the drops, get Goonmod, don't worry about half the stuff I wrote cause you can always get more.

PS2:

Kikas posted:

Shame there are no other masks in the game that can compete with War Face.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 27, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Over the weekend I went from never playing this game before to owning all the DLC, and I blame everyone in the steam group for that.

I'll play the biker heist tonight if people want to give it a try!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Swagger Dagger posted:

Over the weekend I went from never playing this game before to owning all the DLC, and I blame everyone in the steam group for that.

I'll play the biker heist tonight if people want to give it a try!

The day after I started playing I felt obligated to buy the completely overkill pack because the GOTY edition was so cheap and there were so many helpful goons. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just getting back into the game after not playing for half a year, holy poo poo the new skill trees are so much better. And gun balance feels better now too. Really enjoying how things are sitting right now.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kikas posted:

don't worry about half the stuff I wrote cause you can always get more.
Thanks for the write up, that clears things up a lot. I'll take a look at that mod as well.

For random pubby games, whats the usual etiquette about going loud vs using stealth? I've avoided heists i don't know by heart and ones that require high stealth teamwork because i remember those being insanely tricky unless everyone had the script down perfectly (framing frame day 3, looking at you).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Honestly just play with goons because pubs are worse and at least goons communicate .

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
At the very least if a goon does something stupid you can post a .gif of it here and people will laugh at them.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For random pubby games, whats the usual etiquette about going loud vs using stealth? I've avoided heists i don't know by heart and ones that require high stealth teamwork because i remember those being insanely tricky unless everyone had the script down perfectly (framing frame day 3, looking at you).

Don't Pubstove stealth. I enjoy pubstoving occasionally, but stealth is terrible. Even if you find one that's good and knows what they're doing, it's liable to fail when another pub loads in with ICTV and fucks it up instantly. Stealth is too binary and fail cascades way more irreparably.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Thanks for the write up, that clears things up a lot. I'll take a look at that mod as well.

Avoid stealthing with pubs unless it's something really simple like jewelry/diamond store or four stores or something like that.

Goons like to go loud for the most part. Partly because loud is usually more fun but also because the desync that might/will happen between clients will play merry hell on guard positioning and you get poo poo like guards with seeming X-ray vision and team mates walking through walls. It happens on loud as well, but it doesn't spell failure unlike in stealth.

If you really like to stealth, do it solo or with friends who you know have low ping.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There are a few of us who really like stealth so just look for us.I love a well executed shadow raid.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Dr Cheeto posted:

At the very least if a goon does something stupid you can post a .gif of it here and people will laugh at them.

Or a video!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, that's what i kind of figured. Makes a lot of sense - i really love the stealth missions (even better when theyre not insta-fail on detection), but even with solid voicechat they're much more of a gamble than loud missions.

Laputanmachine posted:

but also because the desync that might/will happen between clients will play merry hell on guard positioning and you get poo poo like guards with seeming X-ray vision and team mates walking through walls.
Huh, was not aware of that. That sounds like a horribly frustrating way to gameover those intense situations. As if they weren't high risk/reward failprone already.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
At least its easy to usually reset a stealth heist if you're focused on wanting to do it quiet, like the frustration Murdoch went through in trying to figure out Murky Station when it came out. You have a little more control over the overall tenseness of stealth than the absolute gently caress you of desynch that can cause guards to sometimes look back several times before they move on their patrol and walk through surfaces either soft or loud.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone tell me stuff about the Gruber Kurz?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

juliuspringle posted:

Valentin Dmitrovitch Zukovsky: "Walther PPK, 7.65 millimeter. Only three men I know use such a gun. I believe I've killed two of them. "

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

oohhboy posted:

Valentin Dmitrovitch Zukovsky: "Walther PPK, 7.65 millimeter. Only three men I know use such a gun. I believe I've killed two of them. "

I saw Robbie Coltraine interviewed about his Bond role and he was so happy he got that line.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He played a great character, I was a little sad when he was killed off. At least the movie he died in wasn't one of the poo poo Bonds even with all those awful Christmas jokes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

juliuspringle posted:

I haven't messed with it since before the skill beta, but it got thrown in the low damage/accuracy pistol bracket during Crimefest 2015 and that's not a great place for a semi-automatic gun with a14-round magazine to be. Last I checked the Bernetti was better in every way if you were looking for a low damage pistol.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Bernetti is better in just about every respect but the Gruber is also way cooler.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And extra concealable, I think?

Crabtree posted:

At least its easy to usually reset a stealth heist if you're focused on wanting to do it quiet, like the frustration Murdoch went through in trying to figure out Murky Station when it came out. You have a little more control over the overall tenseness of stealth than the absolute gently caress you of desynch that can cause guards to sometimes look back several times before they move on their patrol and walk through surfaces either soft or loud.

As a show of how bad my memory is, I don't really recall said frustrations. :v:

Though I did foolishly try to run Shadow Raid at 3AM the other day and that got me pretty grumpy. It's weird going back to it and realizing that the game's stealth design has improved even further since then. Less emphasis on six hundred swarming guards, more emphasis on interesting objectives and tricky map traversal. I kinda wish they'd go back and fix it up.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

John Murdoch posted:

They both have *okay* 30-concealment builds with the option of a +3 concealment boost. With the new skills you could probably make either one pretty good?

Kurz is definitely a cool gun, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

They both go to 34 with silencer skills, but the Bernetti is just flat-out better in accuracy and stability:

Overkill really need to take a look at guns like this where the guns are basically identical except one of them is flat out worse in one or two aspects.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Though I did foolishly try to run Shadow Raid at 3AM the other day and that got me pretty grumpy. It's weird going back to it and realizing that the game's stealth design has improved even further since then. Less emphasis on six hundred swarming guards, more emphasis on interesting objectives and tricky map traversal. I kinda wish they'd go back and fix it up.

Both the kurz and the bernetti have the same max concealment after boosts (33).

Bernetti is straight up better than the kurz for max concealment.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jesus gently caress the new skill system really can make any gun good.

Do the Chimano Compact now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

Jesus gently caress the new skill system really can make any gun good.

Patchett and Compact 5 still beyond saving.

Unless you wanted to pair them with Unseen Strike or Anarchist Berserker but those don't count IMO.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Man, I don't know how to fix the Patchett. Putting the SMG with the lowest RoF in the low damage bracket was criminal.

The Compact 5 is great, though. You just gotta use two of them :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

John Murdoch posted:

Sometimes I would get noticed by guards hacking the power-boxes, sometimes you wouldn't notice both a guard and a camera checking you out. You restarted a few times and were all "We're loving finishing this deathwish, drat it" more than anything. I think the hardest part was just getting used to how much poo poo you had to dodge around, which is sort of like the old MORE AND MORE GUARDS from Framing Frame, but a lot more complex and detailed in how guards react and eventually the drone cameras that can give you little space to breathe if you don't know about hiding under trains.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Now that I think back on it, at least some of it was also due to the achievement restrictions too.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://gfycat.com/ExaltedWarpedDalmatian

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kerbal Space Program DLC looking good

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, anarchist + Frenzy is pretty broken.

I kind of hope they keep some aspect of the damage reduction bug with Frenzy - I like being able to run around and melee with a suit/LBV.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wow, anarchist + Frenzy is pretty broken.

I kind of hope they keep some aspect of the damage reduction bug with Frenzy - I like being able to run around and melee with a suit/LBV.

It's definitely hugely bugged, but I agree that keeping at least some of that would be interesting. Maybe allow the Frenzy DR to apply to armor, but as a result, you get hit with a massive ammo capacity/pickup penalty, forcing you to rely heavily on your melee weapon.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I played a game with goons a couple of days ago where I fat-fingered switching weapons and threw a grenade while we were trying to do a stealth heist and couldn't restart. It was only my 4th heist and I had just unlocked grenades and didn't know how they worked. :kiddo:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
We've all been there. It's like a rite of passage. Hell, it ought to be an achievement :allears:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Regrettable posted:

I played a game with goons a couple of days ago where I fat-fingered switching weapons and threw a grenade while we were trying to do a stealth heist and couldn't restart. It was only my 4th heist and I had just unlocked grenades and didn't know how they worked. :kiddo:

3 is the stealth key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
There is no other way to stealth, you did good.