Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

I don't think so, no. I usually just use the dock to switch apps, or mission control, or click on the space right of the open tabs.

Any reason not to just use Firefox or Safari?

One of the sites we use all the time at work doesn't seem to be playing well with the latest version of Firefox, and I have a tendency to forget that Safari exists. :shobon:

And yeah, there are plenty of ways to switch between programs. I'm just in the habit of clicking on title bars, and it struck me as odd that there's no obvious way to give Chrome a real one on a Mac.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Since we're on the topic of Chrome, here's a stupid question: Is there any way to get a Chrome window to have a normal title bar on a Mac? It's easy enough on Linux but I can't find any way to do it on OSX.

If you're wondering why on Earth I'd want that, I'm just in the habit of clicking the title bar to switch focus to the window I want. It's always a nice big target and a place that won't have any other effect when you click it. (Well, except for the Preview app, which put a control up there for some reason. Don't get me started on that.) Anyway, I'm a stubborn old Firefox user giving Chrome another chance, and it's a little annoying to have to aim for the narrow little strip above the tabs.

You might want to learn to use the OPT+CMD right and left arrow to roll between tabs. Chrome forced me to learn this trick, because I kept just clicking the dang close X on the tab instead of the tab.

If that's what you meant.

If not, CMD+TAB, or "Witch" (IIRC)

As far as why use Chrome, it comes down to sometimes you have to use flash and I don't want to actual install flash.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 26, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

Anyway, I'm a stubborn old Firefox user giving Chrome another chance, and it's a little annoying to have to aim for the narrow little strip above the tabs.
If you're switching browsers anyway, you should try Vivaldi.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tiggum posted:

If you're switching browsers anyway, you should try Vivaldi.

Why?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

As one of the people who make websites for you, please Chrome, Firefox or Safari. It makes my life so much easier. Thank you.

That being said, after reading about Vivaldi's origin it's amusing to see the Opera community remains just as drama-filled as it's always been.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kedo posted:

That being said, after reading about Vivaldi's origin it's amusing to see the Opera community remains just as drama-filled as it's always been.

this is an even funnier sentence if you ignore that its actually about web browsers

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's almost like they knew when they named the thing... :tinfoil:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I watched some of the US Olympic diving trials today. When and why did the women's suits get cut so narrow in the butt? I swam in middle and high school (mid-2000s), and the suits had considerably more coverage than these girls'/women's.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I think you know why.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mirthdefect posted:

I think you know why.

I'm really hoping it's not that reason.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the general term for, for lack of anything better, letters that go after your name? Such as PhD, OM, KCB, poo poo like that.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

stubblyhead posted:

What's the general term for, for lack of anything better, letters that go after your name? Such as PhD, OM, KCB, poo poo like that.

Titles? or do you mean the absence of those letters?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Post-nominal letters. Which makes total sense, given how you asked about them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Because I think it's a good option and you might like it. :shrug:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does anyone still use travel agents? How do they stay in business?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

If you have more money than time they're still the only place you can literally walk in and custom order a vacation in twenty minutes. Plus the good ones know about the destinations they book and can recommend stuff for you or warn you what to stay away from. Like if I wanted to go to Brazil I have no idea whats available for me there, when I should go, what areas I should avoid, etc.

Still a waste of money but there is a service provided there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tuyop posted:

There good for an entire package, some people like to have everything set out for them on a trip. It means (if you get a reliable/reputable one) that you get a professional local tour guide, and get more genuine experiences as opposed to the more tourist-y stuff.

Lots of travel agents are closing down because more information is available online so people can book it themselves, but ones that have found a good niche and offer a more focused experience in that niche are still thriving. Things like Intrepid Travel offering small-group tours to less popular tourist destinations are still going strong.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Because I think it's a good option and you might like it. :shrug:

Let me expand, then. What makes Vivaldi a better choice than Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc. that we/I should switch?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Let me expand, then. What makes Vivaldi a better choice than Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc. that we/I should switch?

Well, the features that I particularly like include mouse gestures, web panels, tab stacking, tab tiling and speed dial, but the actual website explains most of that stuff better than I could. :shrug:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Well, the features that I particularly like include mouse gestures, web panels, tab stacking, tab tiling and speed dial, but the actual website explains most of that stuff better than I could. :shrug:

I moved from Opera when I found the mouse gesture extensions on Firefox. Then I moved to Safari on a Mac and learned keyboard shortcuts. Now I find it faster to use the keyboard and a blank window on everything because it's way too much trouble to click on a bookmark or a tile or whatever than just cmd L and type two-four letters of a website. YMMV but I think you either don't need those features or they exist in other browsers.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

tuyop posted:

To add to the things other people said, I actually asked our travel coordinator at the company I work for since she deals with travel agencies a lot. Apparently a lot of them also have deals with airlines and car rental places so they can get you a better deal sometimes, and they use that to drum up business.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainViolence posted:

To add to the things other people said, I actually asked our travel coordinator at the company I work for since she deals with travel agencies a lot. Apparently a lot of them also have deals with airlines and car rental places so they can get you a better deal sometimes, and they use that to drum up business.

This is what I originally thought, but the other answers were really helpful too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

If you are booking a class of 80 tenth graders to go to Washington DC, you need to secure 80 plane tickets on the same plane, 40 hotel rooms for each night, restaurants for breakfast lunch and dinner than can seat 80 people at one time, a tour bus, etc, etc, etc. Presumably, it's more profitable to book a trip for 80 than it is to book the Smith Family vacation to Pigeon Forge anyhow.

Multiply this across every kid all-star team, high school traveling ball team, church choir that sings at the tabernacle, company that sends a handfull of people to a variety of conferences... you still need a lot of travel agents.

Outside of this, you still book some vacations (tours, cruises) through travel agents. I used one to book a cruise last year, saved a ton off the cruise line rate, got kickbacks on board, and I assume the travel agent made a tidy sum as well.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
A lot of travel agencies have gone under in the last decade and a half but the ones who remain are really helpful. When I worked at an airline, we had a lot of people booking through travel agencies, sometimes for poo poo as simple as having the correct vaccination documents for animals, visas for people who were in the middle of the immigration process, providing instructions for agents dealing with customers with language or physical difficulties, and other things like that.

And as photomikey said they are great at coordinating group travel. The established ones were known for the "concierge" customer experience they provided, like if some confused Uzbekistani showed up at our east coast airport at 4:30am with a problem we could almost always reach the travel agent at their home in LA where it's 01:30. The good ones have access to / knowledge of software like native Sabre to check flights and book customers.

I could go on and on but the point is that they don't just book flights from expedia, it's basically a long distance project management gig and most of the travel agents I interacted were pretty darn good at it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Is the idea that protons have positive charge and electrons have negative charge a circular definition, or derived from something else?

i.e. would it have been possible to define protons as having a negative charge and electrons as having a positive charge instead, or would that contradict something?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OneEightHundred posted:

Is the idea that protons have positive charge and electrons have negative charge a circular definition, or derived from something else?

i.e. would it have been possible to define protons as having a negative charge and electrons as having a positive charge instead, or would that contradict something?

When (I think) Ben Franklin named one polarity of charge as "positive" and the other as "negative" that was a completely arbitrary decision. It could have easily been the other way around with no effect on the physics, just the swapping of + and - symbols.

He could have called them "orange" and "blue", or "cock" and "balls", for all the difference it would have made to what's actually happening.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Memento posted:

He could have called them "orange" and "blue", or "cock" and "balls", for all the difference it would have made to what's actually happening.

From the perspective of mathematics, it's much more convenient to have used positive and negative than cock and balls. A positive and a negative charge cancel each other out and act like zero charge at a distance. It is not entirely clear to me how cocks and ballses would act to neutralize each other.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's no fundamental thing that makes one positive and the other negative, no, it's just nomenclature.

As I understand it, when it was originally discovered the scientists in question just thought of it as "charge", an amount of something with no polarity. Then when they discovered there were opposite charges later, they figured out how to charge atoms each way, and eventually could distinguish them by which direction they oscillated in a magnetic field. This was about the time electricity was starting to take off as a useful technology. They figured out that positive charges moving one way would behave the same way in components as negative charges moving the other, so they just kinda arbitrarily pinned "positive" as the current source in electrical circuit diagrams.

Then in the early 20th century they finally figured out that it was electrons that were physically moving that created electrical current, and they happened to carry the charge polarity we'd designated as negative. So now you've got conventional theory, which explains current as "positive charges" flowing from the battery positive to negative terminals (which all electrical engineers use) and electron theory, which has the flow of electrons going from negative to positive (which is what all the physicists use.) Whoops. The devices work the same (a diode wouldn't care if it was positive charges moving left-to-right or negatives moving right-to-left), but it's a nightmare when particle physicists and electrical engineers try and talk to one another.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CaptainViolence posted:

They also often have easy access to things that you can't easily book online even now. For example, a lot of them have deals with international freighters so they can book you on a nice long cruise on one of them between continents or around the world (a lot of ocean freighters still have what amounts to a small bank of nice cruise ship rooms, which were originally intended for things like executives of the freight line or families of crew if they needed to be onboard). Or for setting up a trip using spare room on charter/corporate jets which can both save money and get you closer to a destination than taking the general airlines - as well as keeping you from needing to deal with full on TSA.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If light is an EM wave on the same spectrum as radio and so on, why is it that if I board up all the windows in my house so that it's completely dark and no light can get in, my radio and cellphone would still get reception? What lets radio waves penetrate the house while light can't? I understand that concrete or lead or whatever block pretty much everything but I don't see how wood/glass/sheet steel/roof tile are somehow more porous as far as beams of radio go compared to light.

Also, if light is both a particle and a wave, do other EM waves have particles? Are there X-ray photons and radio photons and poo poo?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Slavvy posted:

If light is an EM wave on the same spectrum as radio and so on, why is it that if I board up all the windows in my house so that it's completely dark and no light can get in, my radio and cellphone would still get reception? What lets radio waves penetrate the house while light can't? I understand that concrete or lead or whatever block pretty much everything but I don't see how wood/glass/sheet steel/roof tile are somehow more porous as far as beams of radio go compared to light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_attenuation_coefficient

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Slavvy posted:

Also, if light is both a particle and a wave, do other EM waves have particles? Are there X-ray photons and radio photons and poo poo?

Visible light is just a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is all the same photons with different frequencies

Different matter materials absorb photons at different wavelengths. Glass absorbs uv light, lets everything else through. You absorb most everything uv and below, but not so much xrays or gamma waves.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 27, 2016

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

fishmech posted:

...a lot of them have deals with international freighters so they can book you on a nice long cruise on one of them between continents or around the world (a lot of ocean freighters still have what amounts to a small bank of nice cruise ship rooms, which were originally intended for things like executives of the freight line or families of crew if they needed to be onboard).

What the hell. I've never heard of this. What do you do for fun on a freighter. I'm sure the room is nice, but when I go on a cruise I'm hardly ever in my room.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lincoln posted:

What the hell. I've never heard of this. What do you do for fun on a freighter. I'm sure the room is nice, but when I go on a cruise I'm hardly ever in my room.

Many of the ones that allow booking rides have pools (though not huge), satellite internet/tv, sunbathing on deck, a bar (again smaller) and so on like regular cruise ships. One of the key things though is it tends to be much cheaper, goes to all sorts of different sorts of ports that a cruise ship wouldn't turn up in, and so on.

One of the most popular things people do with these are take like 4 months to go around the world, getting a day or two off the ship at dozens of cities along the way (one of the most popular routes is New York City to Seattle by way of the mediterranean and southeast asia for instance. And apparently the food onboard is often really nice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Many of the ones that allow booking rides have pools (though not huge), satellite internet/tv, sunbathing on deck, a bar (again smaller) and so on like regular cruise ships. One of the key things though is it tends to be much cheaper, goes to all sorts of different sorts of ports that a cruise ship wouldn't turn up in, and so on.

One of the most popular things people do with these are take like 4 months to go around the world, getting a day or two off the ship at dozens of cities along the way (one of the most popular routes is New York City to Seattle by way of the mediterranean and southeast asia for instance. And apparently the food onboard is often really nice.

That sounds loving awesome.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You say "Much cheaper", but I looked into getting a ride on a freighter a few months ago and they're still expensive as gently caress. Even the lovely ones, where it's literally just a room and meals aboard a cargo freighter want, like, 1000 bucks to take you from port A to port B.

I mean, christ, you are already going there. Literally all you have to do is give me a bed and some food for a few weeks while you do so. Why do you want so much money for this? :argh:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, you have to keep in mind that most of the people are there to do a job, and probably aren't interested in making friends or providing the same level of service as a cruise ship. I don't see the point unless you can't fly for some reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Captain Bravo posted:

You say "Much cheaper", but I looked into getting a ride on a freighter a few months ago and they're still expensive as gently caress. Even the lovely ones, where it's literally just a room and meals aboard a cargo freighter want, like, 1000 bucks to take you from port A to port B.

I mean, christ, you are already going there. Literally all you have to do is give me a bed and some food for a few weeks while you do so. Why do you want so much money for this? :argh:

You're paying for all your food and water etc to be onboard on top of other stuff, ya know? (Plus travel agents can still get you much better deals on the things).

Konstantin posted:

Plus, you have to keep in mind that most of the people are there to do a job, and probably aren't interested in making friends or providing the same level of service as a cruise ship. I don't see the point unless you can't fly for some reason.

Most of the point is that it's something most other people won't have done. Pretty much like taking vacations to various small time places instead of the major tourist destinations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

Plus, you have to keep in mind that most of the people are there to do a job, and probably aren't interested in making friends or providing the same level of service as a cruise ship.

You'd be surprised, life at sea is a solid 95% boredom. It would give you a good opportunity to get some reading done and probably learn Tagalog though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Lincoln posted:

I hear people who cruise say this all the time. I'm apparently the opposite. Get me a room with a balcony, a book, a laptop, a backgammon board, and a large bottle of gin with a large bottle of tonic... You will not find me at the 11am shuffleboard competition nor the 2pm bellyflop show. I'll watch the waves go by until we get into port.