Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
seems like a real poo poo sandwich, this brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
watch juncker start a loving war

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Gordon posted:

You are a dumb idiot troll, but here is a short list in case you are JUST dumb.

UK member states internal politics:

1)Scotland is looking for an exit out of UK and entry into the EU under its own grounds
2)Northern Ireland peace process compromised due to border returning - the Troubles are likely to return, which is super lovely
3)Potential Northern Ireland secession to join the Republic - it is now a real possibility

Things that will affect ordinary citizens:

1) International travel will be affected - UK citizens would have to get work/travel visas to go to other European countries (at the discretion of said countries)
2) Property abroad will be heavily taxed - alot of UK citizens have houses outside of the UK (in Spain, France)
3) Foreign accounts/pensions will be heavily taxed - EU ecosystem allowed people to invest into their pension abroad for better value, now they are pretty hosed due to extra incoming tariffs
4) Every UK citizens who is studying abroad is super hosed as they will forced to pay much higher fees due to being outside of the EU
5) GBP is in the trashcan - your money/salary is worth approximately 100% less then what it was a week ago
6) Racial tensions are at all time high and hate crime is on the rise in the UK

Speculation on local economy:

1) NHS will not be getting more funding because Farage lied about it
2) Jobs are unlikely to be generated as most businesses are pulling out of UK
3) New government cannot borrow from EU and will need to repay all EU debts prior to leaving, which will likely result in further austerity measures in the UK

Basically:

What's #5 about? 100% less really?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

City of Tampa posted:

yeah like I said bankers or other rich people are mad. Is that a reason for someone that works for a living to care?

like I don;t see a plumber from Manchester pulling his hair out in despair at someone that owns a vacation house in loving Spain or who has money to invest in various foreign countries having to pay more taxes

-> More deficit, more austerity, less things for you plumber
-> Exchange rate down -> Less Purchasing power-> Less things to buy for more moneys -> inflation

not clear this will happen but I am just explaining how his post relates to your question hope it helps

City of Tampa posted:

Is France or wherever really going to start being an rear end in a top hat about Engilsh people travelling? I dunno, maybe they will be. I don't see why though. Tourists spend money and don't use a lot of government services. And the GBP will come back when the bank's temper tantrum is over.
There is obviously no reason ex-post to impose any sanctions on the UK leaving the EU. This is a known Game Theoretical issue.
But if the EU wants to keep intact, it has to commit to punish the UK harshly, otherwise other countries will want the same outsider position.

So far, voices in Germany and France have tended in this direction and it is clearly the right strategy for Germany/France/etc.
It is what the UK should expect.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Hahah the coach for the Iceland national soccer team is literally a part-time dentist. You can't make this poo poo up.

quote:

a second brexit has hit the united kingdom

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
it seemed like uk had a pretty good deal with all the special exemptions and poo poo too bad the far right trolled the populace into being xenophobic shitbags

i'm still going to vote for trump tho

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

Things that will affect ordinary citizens:

2) Property abroad will be heavily taxed - alot of UK citizens have houses outside of the UK (in Spain, France)

lol oh no my villa

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sincx posted:

Hahah the coach for the Iceland national soccer team is literally a part-time dentist. You can't make this poo poo up.

Their goalkeeper is a video editor/filmmaker who created the video for Iceland's 2012 Eurovision contest entry

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
So is there a plan going forward now or what? In the 2 years this has been in the mixer did anyone consider what to do afterwards?

So far all I've heard is 'uhhh we gotta talk to the EU (who loving hate us) and I dunno maybe trade with china or something'.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Buca di Bepis posted:

lol oh no my villa

I sold all 5 of mine before the referendum and am now a multi-millionaire.

Thank god I did it before the Steam Summer Sale!

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Y-Hat posted:

lol england lost to iceland- a nation of less than 200,000 people- in a sport that they like to think they invented. lovely few days for ol' blighty

i agree with everything in this post except for these two posts. how do border controls affect religious violence within Northern Ireland? also, Irish unification ain't happening, at least not in the immediate future. unionists don't like the result, but they really don't like unification with the Republic

tl;dr version:

Good Friday Agreement is the reason people aren't murdering each other in Belfast anymore. One of the most popular articles of the GFA states that people in Northern Ireland can have a British AND an Irish passport, AND can travel freely between Ireland and the UK. This helped people keep their identity without resorting to hate crimes on the basis or religion/nationality.

This is no longer possible as UK is outside of EU, which means that there will need to be a border between the UK and Ireland, as well as the dual citizenship privileges being removed, since you cannot be an EU citizen and not at the same time.

Non tl;dr articles:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/21/northern-ireland-fear-brexit-conflict-good-friday-agreement-eu
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/26/northern-ireland-republic-peace-brexit-border
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/english-nationalists-have-placed-a-bomb-under-peace-process-1.2700068

Darth123123 posted:

What's #5 about? 100% less really?

100%* = a whole lot less

sorry I channeled my inner Farage

Buca di Bepis posted:

lol oh no my villa

It does seem that way, but its not that simple. A ton of UK citizens leave abroad in the EU and its perfectly normal to own property in the country you work/live in. Also, like I mentioned before, the property abroad was a retirement investment for many, many people in the EU. Its not that uncommon, so its hardly a "lol, villa". Its more like someone's live savings.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 27, 2016

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

el dingo posted:

So is there a plan going forward now or what? In the 2 years this has been in the mixer did anyone consider what to do afterwards?

So far all I've heard is 'uhhh we gotta talk to the EU (who loving hate us) and I dunno maybe trade with china or something'.

Probably a lot more trade with Australia

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Is now a good time to run for Prime Minister? I'm going to give it a go on the basis that I can't possibly gently caress everything up worse than it already is and I want money and power.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

City of Tampa posted:

i think England dodged a bullet here and when the EU is basically America 2.0 in a few years you all will be glad that you left it.

At the very least now you'll get to pretend to vote for or against the neoliberals that will privatize and deregulate your entire coutnry

outcome is still the same though, and things seem like they'll probably be shittier than if they stayed because the financial markets are dumb as hell and no one had an exit plan (lol). i mean, you can be a leftist and still be practical about things. the moment the vote was decided to be held the UK sort of lost

only way this works out is if the Working Man and Woman turn their justified frustration on the childraping ruling class and hang them up by lampposts, and given the good-heavens squeamishness and the "gently caress da polish" going on that outcome is looking unlikely

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

A Magical Lamp posted:

Is now a good time to run for Prime Minister? I'm going to give it a go on the basis that I can't possibly gently caress everything up worse than it already is and I want money and power.

Are you willing to gently caress pigs and maybe kids?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A Magical Lamp posted:

can you gently caress dead farm animals or live slave children who will very soon be dead?

e: goddammit, beaten to death like a 9 year old war orphan

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Quantum Finger posted:

can you gently caress dead farm animals or live slave children who will very soon be dead?

For queen and country.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im prime minister

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

im prime minister

no me

actually you deal with brexit i'll take over when a lynch mob sacrifices you to appease our German overlords.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Roylicious posted:

Are you willing to gently caress pigs and maybe kids?
it's the other way around. you have to gently caress kids, and maybe you'll gently caress pigs

btw is boris johnson prime minister yet

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Captain Gordon posted:

This is no longer possible as UK is outside of EU, which means that there will need to be a border between the UK and Ireland, as well as the dual citizenship privileges being removed, since you cannot be an EU citizen and not at the same time.

Sounds like something the Irish should take up with the EU then

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
honestly since Time Team has been cancelled for years now I really couldn't give two shits what happens to England

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

A Magical Lamp posted:

no me

actually you deal with brexit i'll take over when a lynch mob sacrifices you to appease our German overlords.

ok

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boner Slaem posted:

-> More deficit, more austerity, less things for you plumber
-> Exchange rate down -> Less Purchasing power-> Less things to buy for more moneys -> inflation

not clear this will happen but I am just explaining how his post relates to your question hope it helps

So the one thing I'll agree with is that the people behind the Leave campaign are not the ones who are most apt to turn the results around to benefit the people who voted to leave the EU. Which is sad. If only there was a party that the labour class could turn to!

An angry mob is coming, and they're all shouting "gently caress the ______." What do you tell them to fill that blank with?
1. UKIP: Immigrants and brown people
2. Conservatives: Meddlesome eurocrats
3. SNP: The English
4: Labour: Oh stop whining you horrible little uneducated racists, it's really not that bad. This is gonna mess up my stock portfolio! Anyway let's get rid of this leftist rear end in a top hat who got into power when the entire country basically told us we were the scum-sucking toadies of the finance industry and we should all jump off a bridge.

pretend I linked that cartoon of the dog in the burning building huge prick

quote:

There is obviously no reason ex-post to impose any sanctions on the UK leaving the EU. This is a known Game Theoretical issue.
But if the EU wants to keep intact, it has to commit to punish the UK harshly, otherwise other countries will want the same outsider position.

So far, voices in Germany and France have tended in this direction and it is clearly the right strategy for Germany/France/etc.
It is what the UK should expect.

even if the EU wants to get as vindictive as they can get, there are still all the other international trade treaties that will still apply between the UK and the EU. France and Germany can't go "we hate you, special 100% tariffs on british beef". The UK will be in the same position as the US.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Captain Gordon posted:

tl;dr version:

Good Friday Agreement is the reason people aren't murdering each other in Belfast anymore.
No it isn't.

All of the money, and all of the people with any talent left before the GFA was done. The GFA is a symptom of there being nothing at all to fight for any more. Furthermore, New Yorkers got a taste of what a terror attack actually means and stopped funding the IRA sharpish.

There will be no change to the UK/Ireland border. Neither is in the Schengen Zone already. The border has been mainly open since 1922 and there is no reason for it to change.

e: also as to the "you can't be an EU and non EU citizen at the same time" thing, of course you loving can, there are plenty of people with dual British-American or French-Algerian nationality for example.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2016

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

:rip: Disunited Kingdom

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Gordon posted:

Is this British or Irish law? There are no EU regulations which stop people from holding two passports from an EU and a non-EU country. Dual citizenship is regulated at the country level.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The Pound and the Euro have been artificially inflated, they were never suppose to be worth more than the dollar because nothing on Earth is worth more than anything American. The world economy is just normalizing from a scam that is about to end.

USA USA USA!

p.s. USA USA USA!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
If Boris Johnson actually is your next PM then you'll have fully descended into Monty Python alternate reality imo.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

Is this British law? There are no EU regulations which stop people from holding two passports from an EU and a non-EU country. Dual citizenship is regulated at the country level.
No he's just talking complete loving shite.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

el dingo posted:

they didnt think it would win, dude. why would you make a plan for something that clearly ain't gonna happen?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

lol if 1% of these doomsday scenarios of leftist authoritarians come true

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roylicious posted:

If Boris Johnson actually is your next PM then you'll have fully descended into Monty Python alternate reality imo.

At least he has crazy hair that is home grown. Trumps hair is made by Mexicans.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Klyith posted:

even if the EU wants to get as vindictive as they can get, there are still all the other international trade treaties that will still apply between the UK and the EU. France and Germany can't go "we hate you, special 100% tariffs on british beef". The UK will be in the same position as the US.

They will be in the same position as Turkey, Syria, Pakistan, Uganda and any other country that does not have special priviledges. This is true.
This is also a big loving deal relatively speaking.

You can be fine with that given that now you are independent from the EU. Or not. It would worry me. In fact I am angry with the Brits precisely because a breakup of the EU is the last loving thing I want. I still actually remember closed borders on the continent. And lol if you think the economic situation beforehand was actually better in most countries.
gently caress. That. poo poo.
That's why I will be lobbying heavily for giving GB the worst deal they can possibly get. Self protection, you understand. Just as you guys did.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maoist Pussy posted:

Why would you pay money to go to university in Amerikkka?

Um is this a bad troll or am I missing the tone here

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
i like how Scotland wants "independence" only if the EU will let them in

it's like they're a parasite that can't stand on its own lol

"oh please, we know we owe our existence to one country, but won't you all please support us now? pretty please?"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

USSAr posted:

i like how Scotland wants "independence" only if the EU will let them in

it's like they're a parasite that can't stand on its own lol

"oh please, we know we owe our existence to one country, but won't you all please support us now? pretty please?"

More like they're desperately trying to cut the dead weight and get back to normalcy.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

didnt scotland have oil or something?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

its not like the scots and irish have risen up w/ pitchforks or anything more like some guardian scrub journo making it up as he goes in typical guardian style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boner Slaem posted:

didnt scotland have oil or something?

No they drank it all, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Locked thread