Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

You cannot read!

Well the fact that "you your guns" isn't grammatically correct might have made your post hard to read. But I get that you were clarifying the point.

But it seemed like you think it's a bad idea to restrict access to lethal weapons by those convicted of domestic violence. Is that wrong?

I think someone who say, throws something at their domestic partner but misses, and then is convicted of domestic violence, they shouldn't be allowed to own lethal weapons. Even if they didn't physically hurt anyone yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

Too bad it's not anyone suspected of domestic violence, that'd be a real time saver.
We'd be facing a serious law enforcement shortage, then.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

SquadronROE posted:

Too bad it's not anyone suspected of domestic violence, that'd be a real time saver.

That is usually a term of bond while a charge is pending.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Torpor posted:

That is usually a term of bond while a charge is pending.

Someone should get the ACLU and NRA on that, sounds like a violation of 2nd amendment rights.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SquadronROE posted:

A Domestic Violence No-Fly list, perhaps

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

Well the fact that "you your guns" isn't grammatically correct might have made your post hard to read.

But it sure seems like you think it's a bad idea to restrict access to lethal weapons by those convicted of domestic violence. Is that wrong?

I think someone who say, throws something at their domestic partner but misses, and then is convicted of domestic violence, they shouldn't be allowed to own lethal weapons. Even if they didn't physically hurt anyone yet.

That last example isn't really reckless. Reckless injury would be like swinging a hammer without making sure it was safe to do so and hitting a household member.

There was a lesser charge to avoid the gun thing but then scotus did the castleman decision.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Amergin posted:

Or use a condom and/or the pill.

Fund a massive free-birth control campaign focused around long acting reversible birth control like IUDs. Start it high schools.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

That last example isn't really reckless. Reckless injury would be like swinging a hammer without making sure it was safe to do so and hitting a household member.

There was a lesser charge to avoid the gun thing but then scotus did the castleman decision.

I don't think your definition of reckless matches the legal one. One of the SCOTUS causes was a man who "recklessly" slapped his wife.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56cf6822e4b0871f60eaa82b

quote:

Both men were convicted of domestic violence under Maine statutes that include “reckless” conduct. Their lawyers argue that the men acted in the heat of the moment and their impulsive, reckless acts of domestic violence are not serious enough to qualify under the federal gun ban.

Sometimes recklessly can just mean "really really angrily."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted:

Fund a massive free-birth control campaign focused around long acting reversible birth control like IUDs. Start it high schools.
This but with middle school.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Panty Saluter posted:

A Domestic Violence No-Fly list, perhaps

The difference here would be those convicted of domestic violence crimes have been convicted. for Civil Protective orders in Iowa they take people's guns too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Torpor posted:

Because I'm sure there's so many cases where someone accidentally gets whacked during home repair and then spend months to bring it to trial for a conviction.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

look you filthy librul my baby girl don't have no sex. you got that? she go to church. she a good girl.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Noam Chomsky posted:

look you filthy librul my baby girl don't have no sex. you got that? she go to church. she a good girl.

It's really quite amazing how many virginal pregnancies happen in the US. Truly, the land is blessed by ZeusGod.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

fishmech posted:

Because I'm sure there's so many cases where someone accidentally gets whacked during home repair and then spend months to bring it to trial for a conviction.

Prosecutors have deliberately hidden evidence of innocence in order to secure a death penalty conviction though, which also doesn't make much sense.

Also domestic relations get real stupid real fast so it would not exactly surprise me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Don't want to ruin it, but here's some paraphrased quotes

"We're doing it for the bagels!"

"Foreigners taking over!"

"Duane Reed is ruining New York!"

"In the words of Alexander Hamilton, the play, not the historical figure *raps*"

The biggest tweet smackdown ever

EDIT: Oh yeah "Democrat in a Republican's Body"

I heard this live and don't remember some of those lines. My brain must be protecting me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gyges posted:

It's really quite amazing how many virginal pregnancies happen in the US. Truly, the land is blessed by ZeusGod.

Depends on class really

Either, it's amazing how many poor women get pregnant in high school, or it's amazing how many rich girls miss a semester to mono/visit their "grandma" out of state (in a state with less draconian abortion laws) on short notice

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

white good. brown bad. need more white than brown. yes. praise jesus.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think your definition of reckless matches the legal one. One of the SCOTUS causes was a man who "recklessly" slapped his wife.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56cf6822e4b0871f60eaa82b

Sometimes recklessly can just mean "really really angrily."

Legal recklessness requires you consciously disregard a substantial risk of harm. Anger is usually present in DV cases but is not a requirement.

Edit: although I don't think harm is required either if you equate that word with some type of injury.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 27, 2016

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Depends on class really

Either, it's amazing how many poor women get pregnant in high school, or it's amazing how many rich girls miss a semester to mono/visit their "grandma" out of state (in a state with less draconian abortion laws) on short notice

The only moral abortion was MY daughter's abortion!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Torpor posted:

Prosecutors have deliberately hidden evidence of innocence in order to secure a death penalty conviction though, which also doesn't make much sense.

Also domestic relations get real stupid real fast so it would not exactly surprise me.

What does that have to do with your ludicrous complaint that someone doing home repair is going to get convicted of a misdemeanor without having done anything else horrible against their family, again?

You gonna tell me that child protective services just breaks up good families next? Because you're using the same rhetoric right here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Torpor posted:

Legal recklessness requires you consciously disregard a substantial risk of harm. Anger is usually present in DV cases but is not a requirement.

Edit: although I don't think harm is required either if you equate that word with some type of injury.

Did you beat your wife or girlfriend or something?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you beat your wife or girlfriend or something?

No, there was just a terrible misunderstanding during a kitchen remodel

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You know I had always heard that Warren would probably stay in the Senate primarily because she hates campaigning, but against Trump she really seems to be enjoying herself out there. I know it isn't traditional campaigning for her own seat or anything but it's pretty close to the same thing.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Thomas goes into detail on this topic in his dissent, and I think he does have a point; though it is very much overridden by the reality that a domestic violence conviction due to "recklessly unleashing force that recklessly causes injury" lies somewhere between exceptionally rare and never, which is why the majority holds based in part on the intent of the laws.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

You know I had always heard that Warren would probably stay in the Senate primarily because she hates campaigning, but against Trump she really seems to be enjoying herself out there. I know it isn't traditional campaigning for her own seat or anything but it's pretty close to the same thing.

It's all of the good part of campaigning (people cheering you at rallies) and none of the bad (doing actual work)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's all of the good part of campaigning (people cheering you at rallies) and none of the bad (doing actual work)

So, much like Trump's entire campaign. :v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So, much like Trump's entire campaign. :v:

which would be a huge problem were she the candidate herself

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This thread has been pretty poo poo for the past few days so let's repost an article from last week that didn't get enough love and should be mandatory reading for the USPOL thread.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Federal Judge in Mississippi has ruled clerks cannot deny marriage licenses based on personal religion

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

JerryLee posted:

If there are things that are incorrectly/nonsensically coming under the legal definition of 'domestic violence' when they'd be better served by a separate, less serious charge, then that's something that should be addressed separately. It's not a reason to throw up our hands on the issue of keeping guns out of abusers' hands.
That was the question before the court. No one was arguing in favor of removing the prohibition on people with a domestic violence misdo owning firearms, the question was whether a conviction under Maine's rather broad assault statute would be considered “an offense that... has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force... committed by [certain close family members] of the victim” under 18 U. S. C. §922(g)(9) if the mens rea was recklessness rather than intentional.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Just straight up consider "buying a gun" to be the same thing as "passing a background check"

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

whoops, meant security clearance
Considering that the context of the discussion was DeadlyShoe making the stunning insight that passing a NICS check isn't a constitutional right, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 28, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Federal Judge in Mississippi has ruled clerks cannot deny marriage licenses based on personal religion

lol that this was a thing that had to be ruled on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boon posted:

This thread has been pretty poo poo for the past few days so let's repost an article from last week that didn't get enough love and should be mandatory reading for the USPOL thread.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/
I actually thought this was mealymouthed Very Serious Person centrism and didn't really like it. The people don't respect the political class etc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

lol that this was a thing that had to be ruled on.
It's Mississippi, so I guess they could be burning suspected witches at the stake or something and it would need a federal case to make them stop?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah and if you look at that guy's other articles...well it ain't great

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I actually thought this was mealymouthed Very Serious Person centrism and didn't really like it. The people don't respect the political class etc.

Yeah, the current dysfunction is almost entirely due to the Republicans, as a result of deliberate decisions made 40+ years ago. The Democrats have their issues, but they're normal ones that are always present. There's no sign that the they're going the Republican way.

It's a rather bad attempt at declaring both sides to be equally bad, which is simply not true.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Me too. He brings up decent points, but then goes and equivocates the Sanders campaign to the Cruz and Trump campaigns. The similarities there are far outweighed by the vast differences, namely the fact that Cruz and Trump are not at all rooted in anything resembling reality. The author largely ignores the fact that many of the issues we face today come from a right wing that has whipped very angry people into shape by feeding them misinformation, bigotry, and lies for thirty years.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Boon posted:

This is good except for this part near the end:

quote:

“We know who Donald Trump is, and we’re going to use Donald Trump to either take over the G.O.P. or blow it up.” That kind of anti-establishment nihilism deserves no respect or accommodation in American public life.

Maybe so but the R's had it coming.

vvvvv Pretty much vvvvv

Moxie fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 28, 2016

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Boon posted:

Hey, do you know what isn't mentioned in the piece at all? Racism! The reason that Trump has destroyed the Republicans is that the racism inherent in the american electorate was never dealt with or acknowledged since the Civil Rights Act was signed. Other people have touched on how idiotic equating Sanders with Trump is, but if you're going to look at the Republicans right now and tell me that that problem is not enough respect for the establishment (that has been stoking these fires and endangering people for 60 years) you can go gently caress yourself.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

People have no reason to respect the establishment. I wouldn't equate Trump with Sanders by a long shot, but there's no question that most of his votes did not come from a previously untapped pool of latent leftism, but just a lot of people who are tired of getting hosed who consider the Democrats corrupt. While Republicans are obviously to blame for the gridlock, Democrats trying to play the adults in the room let populism to take hold on their side as well. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out after the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sedge and Bee posted:

Hey, do you know what isn't mentioned in the piece at all? Racism! The reason that Trump has destroyed the Republicans is that the racism inherent in the american electorate was never dealt with or acknowledged since the Civil Rights Act was signed. Other people have touched on how idiotic equating Sanders with Trump is, but if you're going to look at the Republicans right now and tell me that that problem is not enough respect for the establishment (that has been stoking these fires and endangering people for 60 years) you can go gently caress yourself.

The platform of George Wallace's American Independent Party from 1968 should sound rather familiar. There's a reason for that. The Republicans made a deliberate choice to court the racists by co-opting Wallace's platform.

• Locked thread