Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RealFoxy posted:

Oh good god Linkara decided to do History of Power Rangers on Gokaiger kill me

Kill linkara imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

RealFoxy posted:

the only Gokaiger thing I see the the Patreon requested review of the first 5 episodes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

Lost Galaxy suffered due to losing one of the lead actresses due to cancer which totally hosed a lot of their longer term plans, but it is still one of the best tokusatsu series ever made and has one of the all time best finales.

This is true, but the result is that one of the reformed tyrants sending monsters to Earth briefly became a ranger. And not just any boss villain, but the one who basically got Zordon killed.

If you're not a fan, it doesn't hurt because Karone becomes a background character in three episodes after she does the Tommy "fight your evil personified" thing. If you are a fan, it's a fantastic tail end to a redemption arc that hadn't been left in a wholly satisfying manner.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RealFoxy posted:

Wait Linkara actually got off his high horse and decided to watch a Sentai?

One second, I need to call Satan (who is the Devil) and ask what the temperature in hell is like...

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I'm going to echo the sentiments about Wizard. Wizard is bad and boring, so skip it. I really liked Gaim, but it stumbles over its end. Drive is really good and for me, on par with Double.

Wizard is bad and awful and a waste of great potential, but it's at least worth watching the very first episode and maybe Beast's debut, just to get an idea of what the show set up before completely throwing it away.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 27, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dexie posted:

Wait Linkara actually got off his high horse and decided to watch a Sentai?

One second, I need to call Satan (who is the Devil) and ask what the temperature in hell is like...

Wizard is bad and awful and a waste of great potential, but it's at least worth watching the very first episode and maybe Beast's debut, just to get an idea of what the show set up before completely throwing it away.

i sincerely do not understand his reasoning considering how many episodes of later power rangers seasons were basically lifted wholesale from the sentai episode

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

This is true, but the result is that one of the reformed tyrants sending monsters to Earth briefly became a ranger. And not just any boss villain, but the one who basically got Zordon killed.

If you're not a fan, it doesn't hurt because Karone becomes a background character in three episodes after she does the Tommy "fight your evil personified" thing. If you are a fan, it's a fantastic tail end to a redemption arc that hadn't been left in a wholly satisfying manner.

Oh yeah, they did the best they could with it, it's just that there is a noticable problem with the pacing of the show that makes a LOT more sense when you realize what happened behind the scenes.

Lost Galaxy might be my favorite Ranger series, even with Mike the worst sixth Ranger ever

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

i sincerely do not understand his reasoning considering how many episodes of later power rangers seasons were basically lifted wholesale from the sentai episode

Because he's not talking about the history of Sentai he's talking about the history of Power Rangers!!!!

(Even though you really CAN'T talk about the history of Power Rangers without talking about the Sentai, and a lot of the questions and complaints he's had about individual shows can be answered by looking at their corresponding Sentai.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, most older seasons of PR were aired to people who had never watched a second of the raw programs in their lives. You can watch and enjoy those shows without needing to know anything about sentai cause, uh, many of us did.

The seams only really begin to show in the third season, and that's a combination of US production issues (namely the whole cast going to Australia) and the mecha combat scenes for many episodes being dramatically cut short into combine -> sword -> done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Well, most older seasons of PR were aired to people who had never watched a second of the raw programs in their lives. You can watch and enjoy those shows without needing to know anything about sentai cause, uh, many of us did.

The seams only really begin to show in the third season, and that's a combination of US production issues (namely the whole cast going to Australia) and the mecha combat scenes for many episodes being dramatically cut short into combine -> sword -> done.

Though to be fair some of those fights were actually that short in the Sentai too (particularly in the case of Dairanger).

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I sure would love a crossover ep with Dobutsu Sentai GoBusters

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Though to be fair some of those fights were actually that short in the Sentai too (particularly in the case of Dairanger).

season 3 would be into the kakuranger footage

and like, lets be real, the biggest production issue for that season was that they were using suits from three different shows at the same time, it was just a clusterfuck

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

season 3 would be into the kakuranger footage

and like, lets be real, the biggest production issue for that season was that they were using suits from three different shows at the same time, it was just a clusterfuck

And adapted Kakuranger backwards

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

And adapted Kakuranger backwards

which is a side effect of them trying to use the suits from multiple shows at the same time, please keep up jivjov

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It was more they felt that the Ninja Megazord worked better with the animal mechs rather then the humanoid mechs being the starting mechs.

Edit: also, where do you get three series suits? the were completely done with the Dairanger stuff after Ninja Quest.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 28, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

It was more they felt that the Ninja Megazord worked better with the animal mechs rather then the humanoid mechs being the starting mechs.

Edit: also, where do you get three series suits? the were completely done with the Dairanger stuff after Ninja Quest.

Zyuranger costumes for the core 5, Dairanger costume for Tommy, Kakuranger mecha and monsters

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

Zyuranger costumes for the core 5, Dairanger costume for Tommy, Kakuranger mecha and monsters

Oh yeah the White tiger suit :downswords:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love early season 3 of MMPR because it is just the most batshit insane thing to ever be attempted. Just the very idea behind how they did it is so convoluted to be amazing

The beauty of it is that it's not even as straight forward as saying "They adapted the sentai backwards" because that's loving wrong

What they did was they filmed it in the most completely hosed up order possible. The start of Season 3 of MMPR is near the end of Kaku, the first half of the middle of season 3 is the beginning, the latter half of the middle is the very end, and then the END of season 3 is the middle portion of Kaku!

It is so completely hosed that it makes the already fever dream esque Kakuranger seem even more weird if you watched season 3 first.

There's a flow chart to how amazing that adaptation is not the least of which being that they put in Kakuranger footage IN SEASON 2 just because they loving could.

If it wasn't for the fact that Season 3 loses steam some time after Kimberly leaves and Kat takes over, and that the Alien Ranger saga alternates between being avant garde and utter dogshit, season 3 would be my absolute favorite MMPR season.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

You can, but you can't exactly talk about the making of the show without even taking a look at where the footage came from. That would be much more interesting than his long talks about what the villain's plan was, since that is typically the same poo poo each season and lets be real, so much of it blends together into a generic mess.

As to what to watch next? I will warn you about both Kuuga and Agito (Agito being my recommendation between the two.) The shows have a very "Japanese" style to how they were directed. What I mean is that they lack the tight pacing that modern seasons have, characters will have multi-minute long scenes where they talk to each other extremely slowly about absolutely nothing. These two were both pretty painful to watch even though I ended up really liking Agito's plotline and found Kuuga's good enough (I had to deal with a crap translation that made it hard to figure out what the villains were actually doing, among other things) but with the afore-mentioned pacing issues. The only other older KR I've seen was Ryuki, which I would not recommend to anyone.

For sentai, I think you were asking for modern stuff but if you liked MMPR you should watch Zyuranger. You should really, really watch Zyuranger. The villains are really fun, the suits and robots are classic and all the green ranger stuff is good. As to modern stuff? Everyone's talking about Gokaiger and it is fun. Great cast and the guest stars are great too- they really shine even if you haven't watched their show. Shinkenger is more serious, so if you wanted the wackier aspects of Fourze this probably isn't your thing but its a good show none-the-less. Gobusters is an interesting one with a great scenery chewing villain (you'll know him when you see him,) it really steps outside the formula though, so your milage may vary- I know some people have issues with it. Its also sentai at its least wackiest, so you might be disappointed in it. Kyoryuger is like Gokaiger in that it has an excellent cast, but I found the plot to be kind of boring/generic/non-existent for large portions of the show. The currently airing series is good too, if you want to watch weekly now's a great time to do so.

I would not recommend Go-Onger, which I started with. Despite being "light-hearted" it lacked the "smart" humor of Carranger and resorted to having the characters jokingly slap each other around like a bad cartoon. Don't watch Goseiger either, it had a lot of problems, as did TQGer and Ninninger.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

You can, but you can't exactly talk about the making of the show without even taking a look at where the footage came from. That would be much more interesting than his long talks about what the villain's plan was, since that is typically the same poo poo each season and lets be real, so much of it blends together into a generic mess.

if i wasnt mind-bendingly lazy i would do exactly this, because i could poo poo out better content than that whiny-voiced motherfucker in my sleep

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

if i wasnt mind-bendingly lazy i would do exactly this, because i could poo poo out better content than that whiny-voiced motherfucker in my sleep

I have dreamed of doing this for a very long time. Unfortunately my voice sounds even worse than Linkara's and I have little-to-no writing and editing skills, so eh.

It's something I'd love to see someone take a crack at though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a good serious tokusatsu series that's a bit different, Ultraman Nexus is a loving fantastic show that has official English subs over at Crunchyroll. I am seriously tempted to just do a write up on why Nexus is great and wonderful and shouldn't have been poo poo on by the network the way it was.

I will warn though, it is not a nice series. It stays true to the themes and aspirations of Ultraman as a franchise, but it is not a place where nice things happen to people.

Or if you'd prefer something closer to Modern Rider in tone, Ultraman Mebius or Ultraman X

Ginga can go burn in a trash fire.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'll back the recommendation for Zyuranger, it's been fantastic so far, just finished up the arc that introduces Ultimate Daizyujin and it was an amazing trip(wasn't expecting a doofy Frankenstein themed Dora Monster to be the source for some of the best fights this show has had so far)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There are actually a few youtube videos that explain how the first three seasons of Power Rangers were created from sentai footage. There's even a site where people have gone through and linked up ALL of the reused footage from those three seasons to its source in sentai. Sadly there's no holistic video that talks about the sentai footage and what was going on behind the scenes with the US creators deciding what to do. You know, like a real history of what was going on to create the show. I don't watch PR but I'd be super interested in that.

And ahh poo poo, I forgot to recommend GARO in my post. Watch the original GARO series, named GARO. It is good, like Kamen Rider but made for adults/teenagers and with fewer episodes.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 28, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

There are actually a few youtube videos that explain how the first three seasons of Power Rangers were created from sentai footage. There's even a site where people have gone through and linked up ALL of the reused footage from those three seasons to its source in sentai. Sadly there's no holistic video that talks about the sentai footage and what was going on behind the scenes with the US creators deciding what to do. You know, like a real history of what was going on to create the show. I don't watch PR but I'd be super interested in that.

And ahh poo poo, I forgot to recommend GARO in my post. Watch the original GARO series, named GARO. It is good, like Kamen Rider but made for adults/teenagers and with fewer episodes.

Do not watch season 3 of Garo.

Season 4 is fine but it doesn't really have much of a main plot, it's all episodic stuff until the last three episodes.

Like you could say the same of season 1, but at least season 1 had more plot building up like the whole thing with Rei and Kouga's backstory and Karou's backstory and they tended to use that time to expand on this brand new world that has more going on than what it initially appears to

Season 4, as much as I really appreciate it after the adventures of Ryuga, does not have even that. It's just a straight up MOTW fest which has its place and isn't bad.

Also don't watch season 5 because it is even worse than season 3 because you don't have as many characters to distract you from the fact that Ryuga is the worst Knight in the history of Knights and Rian is literally worthless.

I am not speaking in hyperbole about Rian his lady assistant love interest. Her character arc in the movie that led into season 5 was, in full- I Am Worthless And That Is Okay

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, I am watching the Linkara video and he's mispronouncing all the names. Like what the gently caress, is "Luka" really hard to say? You know there's a European name that sounds the exact same. Also can't say Zangyak correctly even though its only two syllables long. poo poo cherry on the poo poo ice cream is that he apparently dislikes the Zyuranger theme song. I honestly did not think that that was possible.

I mean my God, this guy claims to watch every season of PR three times before making his videos (and surely has watched it additional times just because he likes the show) but he can't be bothered to sit through subtitles to watch this stuff even once or at least try to care about it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

Wow, I am watching the Linkara video and he's mispronouncing all the names. Like what the gently caress, is "Luka" really hard to say? You know there's a European name that sounds the exact same. Also can't say Zangyak correctly even though its only two syllables long. poo poo cherry on the poo poo ice cream is that he apparently dislikes the Zyuranger theme song. I honestly did not think that that was possible.

I mean my God, this guy claims to watch every season of PR three times before making his videos (and surely has watched it additional times just because he likes the show) but he can't be bothered to sit through subtitles to watch this stuff even once or at least try to care about it?

the OP is great but the ending theme of Zyuranger is fuckin sublime

janbo janbo janbo

janbo!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Garo stuff

You're just going to confuse people going into Garo talking about seasons. Let's make this clearer, shall we? GARO can be broadly divided by their protagonists: Kouga, Ryuga and Raiga. There's also the anime with Leon, and the second anime with who knows, it looked like poo poo.

The Kouga series and movies are all pretty good and well worth the watch. The second movie, Red Requiem, is probably the worst of the lot and even there it's watchable, it just isn't impressive. This also has spinoffs for other characters, such as the V-Cinema Kiba Gaiden and the short series Zero: Black Blood, both of which were pretty good.
The one Raiga show (Makai no Hana) is also pretty good. It follows from the Kouga stuff so it's recommended to watch it afterwards. Raiga is a very different protagonist but a very well-written one, and overall it feels like a worthy sequel to Kouga's journey. That said, it's still unfinished, with a movie coming out at some point to likely finish the series' loose ends.
The two Ryuga shows (Yami o Terasu Mono and Gold Storm, a follow-up to the movie Gold Storm Sho) are bad. Do not watch. I share Burkion's opinions on this. I couldn't even finish Gold Storm because it was boring the hell out of me.

And then there's the anime. The first anime (Honoo no Kokuin, or simply Garo: the Animation) is pretty good and enjoyable, while being very much its own thing. That said, it is well-written and has some really cool action scenes, although the pacing is somewhat weak at first. It can work as an entrance into the Garo-verse for people who prefer anime to toku, although I'd recommend the original GARO more. I haven't watched the second anime, but it looked bad and I've heard nothing good about it. It has no connection to the first, which...apparently got a movie on May? Huh. I did not know that. Any info on that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
S1 of the garo anime was by far the best entry of the franchise.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cliff Racer posted:

That's dismissive xenophobia :eng101:
"Argh, I can't tell all these goofy foreign names apart, why can't they just have regular names like meeee"

Honestly, this is pretty much what I'd basically expect from somebody who's like an alternate timeline version of a young Rush Limgaugh, who got into being a nerd culture pundit instead of a political one. With his little newsman fedora.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's not even that much to pick apart in the first five episodes of Gokaiger so he has to reaaaaaaally reach to get his lame jokes in. Luckily my power went out when I was about 10 minutes in so nature itself spared me from the headache.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I watched the entirety of Garo Goldstorm and do not, I repeat, do not watch that poo poo. There's exactly one good character in it, and he's the villain, and while it's wonderful watching him chew the scenery and be just the biggest, smuggest dick in every single scene he's in, it's not worth suffering through the rest of that pile of literal garbage.

Also, in reference to the second season of the Garo anime, keep in mind that while I choked down the entirety of Goldstorm (and hated myself for it afterwards), I turned off the anime partway through the fourth episode and never went back. It might be the most poorly written piece of media I have ever seen in my entire loving life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Weren't they gonna make a sequel to s1 of the garo anime? I don't mean the completely unrelated s2, but something with the s1 cast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Garo Crimson Moon, the second anime, is kind of perplexing to me.

The animation style, the coloring, the really lovely CGI, all of it looks like it came from the same time the first Garo series was made, 2005. It looks like a mid 2000s anime where no one was quite comfortable with computer assisted animation, and all of the characters feel like lame rejects of that era.

Then you get into the writing and it's just awful. It's just an awful, awful thing. None of the characters are enjoyable or interesting, the villain is at best nonsensical, and the plots are MOTW plots but they have no life or energy and most of them are dime store THIS WAS A JAPANESE MYTH RETOLD CLUMSILY TO INCLUDE GARO bullshit

When they're coherent anyways.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Watching more drive and it's great

DON'T AXE

AXE

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tangents posted:

Watching more drive and it's great

DON'T AXE

AXE

I never noticed the little figures in the signs :allears:
It's great the first couple times, because you can tell that even Chase is like completely at the end of his rope with that axe like "Are you serious right now?!" when the delay starts up.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

deadly_pudding posted:

I never noticed the little figures in the signs :allears:

I never noticed the label on it that says RIDERS ONLY.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Serious Frolicking posted:

Weren't they gonna make a sequel to s1 of the garo anime? I don't mean the completely unrelated s2, but something with the s1 cast.

There was a sequel movie, but I've not heard anything regarding a potential follow-up series. I know season 1's BDs sold poorly, though, and if season 2 had a dip in sales due to its massive drop in quality, that could be enough to kill the idea of future seasons of a Garo TV anime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

There was a sequel movie, but I've not heard anything regarding a potential follow-up series. I know season 1's BDs sold poorly, though, and if season 2 had a dip in sales due to its massive drop in quality, that could be enough to kill the idea of future seasons of a Garo TV anime.

Because we live in an unjust world I wouldn't be terribly surprised if s2 outsold s1 while still being a failure.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Serious Frolicking posted:

Because we live in an unjust world I wouldn't be terribly surprised if s2 outsold s1 while still being a failure.

If it helps, looking for information has led me to believe that Garo season 2 literally sold so poorly that it doesn't even show up on BD/DVD sales lists. Which is actually very possible, given that season 1 sold way worse than I remembered, and only some of its volumes were above the cutoff point for being included on sales charts.

Basically, this means that less than 275 people bought any given volume of Crimson Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Late, but the best Sentai Watching Order is

Kyoryuger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Akibaranger, Go-Busters

• Locked thread