Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
But seriously, they're probably not far from the Castle Black tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're gonna come across a pack of stray hounds wearing tattered Bolton collars, then fashion a sled out of the wooden rowboat that washed up on the shores of Eastwatch. Simple stuff; they set this up like 4 seasons ago

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They're right outside the Blackgate. If they're at the same Wyrdwood where the Watch give their oaths. There's a big swath of empty space before you get to the wall. Then there is the forest where the tree is.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Benjen would have dropped them off near the secret tunnel which they came through, If Sam knew about it so would Benjen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BillBear posted:

Benjen would have dropped them off near the secret tunnel which they came through, If Sam knew about it so would Benjen.

Isn't it locked?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cersei's power stops at the city walls unless she has control of an actual army and there are Lords, both great and small that support her. She has zero ability to enforce her rule on anyone who doesn't want it, and it's pretty clear the North, the Reach, the Riverlands and Dorne are having none of it. I expect the Stormlands aren't going to accept her rule, and I'd not rule out the Westerlands, who'd more likely look to Jamie than Cersei.

Arya will probably Free Edmure from the Frey dungeon and either go with him or just send him to the North because that's the best way to get whoever remains in the Riverlands is going to want to support the Tully's over what ever is left of the Freys. I can't imagine they are more beloved than the Boltons, and at the same time, would not nearly be feared.

That would be kind of cool if Arya didn't reveal herself to Jon and Sansa, but instead his among the serving staff so she could shank her some Littlefinger. She shows up and LF is all "I didn't order room service" and Arya is all "I'm arya stark and you killed my father" and LF tries to talk his way out of it and Arya just stabs him. I mean, at the end of the day, all I want to see is LF in a situation where cannot make a deal, cannot talk himself out of someone just straight up ending him right then and there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't know why everyone wants little finger dead when he's one of the few with the actual ability to be a good ruler instead of an idiot

I guess that's the point of the hand though, to do the actual hard part

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

I don't know why everyone wants little finger dead when he's one of the few with the actual ability to be a good ruler instead of an idiot

he uses people like pawns to the point of being willing to sacrifice anyone but himself, he's comically untrustworthy and disloyal to the point that it's bewildering that anyone would ever willingly accept his friendship save out of desperation, and he himself admits that he only ever does anything to further the ends of gaining power or trying to gently caress a teenage girl - to whom he's mainly attracted because he spent his whole life being a goony nice guy to her mother

people want him dead because he's an evil creep; if there's any coherent thesis to the series thus far it's that there's no such thing as a good king anyway, and just like stannis, littlefinger's readiness to accept the reins of power itself suggests something wrong with him

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 28, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Has anyone commented on the hamfisted "Ned, my BIG BROTHER" during the Lyanna whisper scene. It was like watching the very first episode where they drill that stuff in cringeily

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drunken officeparty posted:

Has anyone commented on the hamfisted "Ned, my BIG BROTHER" during the Lyanna whisper scene. It was like watching the very first episode where they drill that stuff in cringeily

i had 2 different friends ask me who she was and why she was important, even after they did that. welcome to TV land.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
It's not a mystery how they're going to get past the Wall. I don't see why Bran and Meera can't walk up to the gate to Castle Black and knock on the door. They can probably borrow some horses from them to in order to get to Winterfell quicker.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Isn't it locked?

I think it's just a cave that passes through the Wall, they got rid of that black door that you need the NW oath to open.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

C-SPAN Caller posted:

She cribbed her style from space nazis
HBO adapting this would be a dream come true.

And that style is loving excellent.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wouldn't have known. :shrug: GOT has too many characters.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I must be the only one that didn't like Cersei's dress. It felt a little too on-the-nose "hey look I'm evil and wearing black".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I must be the only one that didn't like Cersei's dress. It felt a little too on-the-nose "hey look I'm evil and wearing black".

Kinda like Sansa a couple of seasons back huh
How'd that pan out anyway

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah the pacing and plotting has suffered somewhat since they had to go off-script from Martin's published works, and instead use a series of bullet points he probably gave to them while eating a couple of meatball subs.

It has become a fanfic of itself, and I'm sure there will be a lot little plot inconsistencies and teleportation to nitpick next year as well, but the show is still pretty wildly entertaining. And I think the endgame will be pretty cool to see.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Arya showing up at Winterfell and calmly murdering Littlefinger in front of everyone would be amazing.

Arya is basically a clean up loose plot threads at this point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its funny to think Jon was literally made king by a 10 years old girl

Also made me think it was a very dumb decision to not have northern houses join then before the battle. The battle would then be fought with somewhat better odds, Jon would still be losing cause he was stupid and fell to Ramsay trap, so they would still be saved by LF etc. Only everything would make a little more sense and feel less arbitrary as then refusing to join Jon for no reason and then all falling for him after a little girl does a speech

Listen. Six year olds standing in halls making speeches is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical motivational speech. You can't expect to yield supreme executive power just cause some little tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went around saying I was King in the North just because some little bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!"

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

She looked like a Bene Gesserit witch. It was great.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

mastershakeman posted:

I'm pretty sure he told Varys that he'd just end up burning the whole fucker to the ground.

Which is weird, since that's what Cersei's doing already.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Asehujiko posted:

Why does Lancel chase the boy outside the church? Wasn't he sent to collect Cersei? Also, what was the point of luring Lancel towards the bomb to begin with? Is the idea that if people start removing rubble from the crater, they'll find Lancel's body, with a torch, at ground zero and assume he's the one that blew up the church? I feel like I missed something here.

I don't think there was any plan to lure Lancel anywhere. Lancel saw one of the Little Birds and it looked suspicious - the streets were empty except for people affiliated with the trial, so why was this little urchin kid running around? The kid probably led him into the crypts because he figured he could lose Lancel in there. He does, and then he sneaks behind Lancel and stabs him in the back, but couldn't bring himself to slit his throat and figured that Lancel would die of the stab wound anyway, so he buggers off. The rest of it, with Lancel pulling himself far enough to see the wildfire bomb, was just a TV conceit so that we could see what was happening through his eyes, and so that there wasn't just a giant, unexplained explosion and then Cersei standing front of a mirror monologuing to herself "It looks like my plan to blow up the Sept worked. I'm so glad I planted all that wildfire last night and put some really slow-burning candles in it. Wildfire is the green goop that my brother, Tyrion, used to blow up Stannis Baratheon's fleet back in the huge expensive battle we had three years ago."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Why does Lancel chase the boy outside the church? Wasn't he sent to collect Cersei? Also, what was the point of luring Lancel towards the bomb to begin with? Is the idea that if people start removing rubble from the crater, they'll find Lancel's body, with a torch, at ground zero and assume he's the one that blew up the church? I feel like I missed something here.

Wildfire at point of impact likely vaporizes what it touches, based on how explosive it is. I doubt there is anything left of them.

Kajeesus posted:

He saw a shifty-looking child running into some tunnel under the sept. I'm assuming the kid lured Lancel because he was specifically on Cersei's hit list and he was about to leave the sept early.

I think that was just luck, it's more likely that the kid was instructed to lure anyone who left to the wildfire and to kill them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I will be literally furious and aghast if the end of the story has Dany becoming a legitimate Queen on the Iron Throne and winning the game.

But it will probably happen because the show has turned into girl power hour.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like how in practice little finger is no worse than every other house that backstabs at the first opportunity, including the north which doesn't remember squat outside of the mormonts

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I will be literally furious and aghast if the end of the story has Dany becoming a legitimate Queen on the Iron Throne and winning the game.

But it will probably happen because the show has turned into girl power hour.

It's always been that?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My show watcher friends think Lyanna is Dany's mom.

"i bet they cut to Jon Snow because they're secretly cousins!"

Not really sure why they cast Emilia Clarke's clone for the role. The Targ family tree is confusing enough as it is.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Another thing I hope gets addressed next season is Daenerys' feelings towards forming an alliance with the Sand Snakes.

I mean, I understand she needs all the help she can get, but does she really want to leave the Sand Snakes in a position of power after she takes over Westeros? After all, her own words "Our fathers left the world in a worse state that they encountered it, we are going to leave it in a better state". This is what showDoran was doing, and the Sand Snakes commited Kingslaying and Kinslaying just to get their petty revenge. They completely undermined someone who was working for peace and trying to make the world a better place!

I really want to know why after the backlash the audience had TOWARDS THE SAND SNAKES and people feeling generally ok about Alexander Siddig, they decided that the proper course of action was to kill Doran and give his book role to the Sand Snakes. The whole assassination was one of the biggest writing disasters I've ever seen and they ended up getting to exactly the same place. Did Siddig ask to be bailed out?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They don't need to find Lancel's vaporized remains. Qyburn can just put out the propaganda that the Sparrows were stockpiling wildfire for some nefarious purpose and an accident happened.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

There are a ton of people who still don't know the main characters names... 60 hours in.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Why does that one dude (Manderly?) say Jon avenged the Red Wedding? AFAIK Roose was the only Bolton involved in the massacre in any significant way, and it was mostly the Freys who did the dirty work. Ramsay himself wasn't involved at all, and he's the one who took out Roose. As far as this guy knows, Walder Frey and his mighty brood are still up and about, so from their perspective surely the bulk of revenge has yet to be accomplished? Or has news of the Freys' deaths already conveniently reached them off screen and he just assumed Jon teleported in and did that?

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Olenna asking Tyenne if she had anything to add to the conversation and then shutting her up before she could say BAD PUSSY owned hard

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Only now do we see that Lyanna Stark was the Buster Bluth of the group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo1pkHKHuts

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lycus posted:

They don't need to find Lancel's vaporized remains. Qyburn can just put out the propaganda that the Sparrows were stockpiling wildfire for some nefarious purpose and an accident happened.

Incinerated by his enemies.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mystery Opponent posted:

Olenna asking Tyenne if she had anything to add to the conversation and then shutting her up before she could say BAD PUSSY owned hard

I actually felt a little bit bad about this whole sequence.

It gave me the sensation that D&D actually blame the Sand Snake's actresses for the poor reception they had instead of, you know, the plot and script they gave them. Tyene's actress didn't have a single line the whole season.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My show watcher friends think Lyanna is Dany's mom.

"i bet they cut to Jon Snow because they're secretly cousins!"

Not really sure why they cast Emilia Clarke's clone for the role. The Targ family tree is confusing enough as it is.

I actually found myself confused initially during that scene, either though I knew exactly what was happening and who was in it, because the actress looked so much like Clarke. It was a weird casting choice.

lezard_valeth posted:

I actually felt a little bit bad about this whole sequence.

It gave me the sensation that D&D actually blame the Sand Snake's actresses for the poor reception they had instead of, you know, the plot and script they gave them. Tyene's actress didn't have a single line the whole season.

I felt bad for the actresses too, but I enjoy any scene with Diana Rigg pointing out how stupid everyone else is, so it was a wash. I wouldn't blame the people portraying the Sand Snakes for what happened with them.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I personally assumed that the lyanna casting was a nod/troll for the fan-theory that Jon and dany are twins because this ep had a bunch of little book nods like that

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Anyone got a looping gif of the king kid?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Cersei's power stops at the city walls unless she has control of an actual army and there are Lords, both great and small that support her.

Yeah, see, there is this problem with the show that I kinda stopped caring about after a while. Armies pop up as the plot demands it and don't make sense at all. Just accept the cool CGI when the armies clash and don't think about it.

Take the Ironborn for example. In universe they had their uprising like 20 years ago that everyone considered a joke but Robert and Ned decided to smash them with all their force so that they would learn their place.

Then we get to s2, and their grand plan to seize the North now that everyone is fighting South...and they can barely spare 15 or so people to seize control of Torrehn's Square, which Theon then uses to take over Winterfell. Yara is sent to Deepwood Motte with around 2 ships worth of crewmembers. Upon losing Bran and Rickon, Yara urges Theon to haul rear end since even with what little was left of the North they wouldn't be able to confront them if they united to avenge the Stark boys.

Then season 4, was it? Theon is sent to negotiate with the Iron Born stationed at Moat Cailin because Roose is impatient and wants to go sit at Winterfell to secure his claim, because they were practically dieing in their own poo poo.

Now, not only do the Iron Born possess enough men and ships to be an asset to Daenerys' army, but they also possess enough spare men to build and man 1000 ships.

Even with only 10 people manning each ship, they had more men than Jon + Ramsay's army together, even if they lacked the discipline. Euron should just have waited the Bastardbowl out behind a tree and wait them to kill each other, and then jump on the Knights of the Vale and seized both the North and the Vale in one swoop with that kind of army.

What I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if suddenly, say, Lord Tarly shows up to support Cersei's cause with 20 thousand man because she promised him she will help him find his cool sword.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!
I think they should include Varys in every scene from now on, just run this teleportation poo poo into the ground

• Locked thread