Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

PT6A posted:

I have a high level of risk tolerance -- for myself. I smoke and drink daily, I loving love both of them. You don't get to do that poo poo with other people's lives, though. If your substance consumption fucks your baby up, you don't get a do-over -- they get to live with the life-long consequences of your risk tolerance.

It's the same reason why your personal risk tolerance doesn't excuse drunk driving.

You now seem to imply a single drink at any stage of pregnancy will gently caress up the fetus for life but this isn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
As low effort as the pics in a real estate listing.

When the market dovetails it will come for the lovely low light cell phone pics realtors first. Oddly not the all-caps agents.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I've seen a surge of people in my FB feed writing themselves million dollar cheques to cash in the future. They are new real estate flippers, Godspeed leveraged to the hilt going to go bankrupt at any moment millionaires :stonkhat:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Furnaceface posted:

Id say ~20% of cottagers traveling through Barrie in the summer up to cottage country are American with Ohio and Michigan plates being the vast majority of them. Its not a uniquely Canadian thing, though I do think its largely tied to the east coast of both countries.

These people are the grandchildren of the original cottage folks who have slowly sold off bits and pieces of their land to idiots from Toronto.

I work the 11-7 shift at Shoppers Drug Mart because I was too dumb to read the contract where it said they would pay for my school if I came to work for them. Now even on my 130k salary I can't afford to buy myself out.

YOLO

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

I work the 11-7 shift at Shoppers Drug Mart because I was too dumb to read the contract where it said they would pay for my school if I came to work for them. Now even on my 130k salary I can't afford to buy myself out.

YOLO

I'd like to hear a more detailed story about this

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Heh pharmacies operate like Chinese airlines I see.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If you are too young to remember what the end of a bubble looks like, kids:

jm20 posted:

I've seen a surge of people in my FB feed writing themselves million dollar cheques to cash in the future. They are new real estate flippers, Godspeed leveraged to the hilt going to go bankrupt at any moment millionaires :stonkhat:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you are too young to remember what the end of a bubble looks like, kids:

Uh, what?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also if you ever have $1mil just sitting around in an account you can write a cheque on, you are a goddamn retard and I wish you physical pain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Also if you ever have $1mil just sitting around in an account you can write a cheque on, you are a goddamn retard and I wish you physical pain.

E: nah, not worth arguing

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 27, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
1 million line of credit - what the gently caress do these punks do for a living

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Credit is the only thing propping up this economy. Go to a bank and ask how much you're pre-approved for, the answer will probably surprise you.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Credit is the only thing propping up this economy. Go to a bank and ask how much you're pre-approved for, the answer will probably surprise you.

You're richer than you think!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Carney went on TV right after the brexit vote and promised £800 billion in "liquidity", lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's absolutely the right thing to do, idiot

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Because my wife and I have shoved away almost $30,000 in the past year, our bank keeps offering us high-limit lines of credit. I have to wonder what sort of mortgage they'd give us.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My friend got accepted into UBC med and the bank approved her for a 250k LOC

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

OSI bean dip posted:

Because my wife and I have shoved away almost $30,000 in the past year, our bank keeps offering us high-limit lines of credit. I have to wonder what sort of mortgage they'd give us.

PS if you haven't already I'd accept the LOC. It costs nothing to keep it unused, and should you need emergency funds the interest rate is much better than your CC.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

The Butcher posted:

PS if you haven't already I'd accept the LOC. It costs nothing to keep it unused, and should you need emergency funds the interest rate is much better than your CC.

I have a $10,000 LOC already with my other bank that I owe nothing to.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife and I both got 10K lines of credit to pay for our wedding but never had to touch em.

Then we got letters saying the bank was going to close them because they weren't being used but some legislation that disallowed that git passed like a week later.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Actually it's our strong fundamentals.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

My friend got accepted into UBC med and the bank approved her for a 250k LOC

CIBC does this for any med student/optometry student /grad student engineer. Some 'professional degree' thing.

Banks love med students. They literally have booths set up at all the school orientations to compete to sign on everyone to these things. My twin brother in med school got one of those with no guarantor. Meanwhile I couldn't get a LOC of one tenth the size while I was in math grad school without having my dad sign off on it.

Pretty much everyone runs themselves into dumb debt during med school while at the same time are a near lock to make good money (as far as any career is a lock, any ways) and eventually pay their bills so banks love those guys.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 28, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

med schools pretty much never fail anyone (it looks really bad for them, so they just steer you somewhere you can't do any real harm and don't need to know anything, like psychiatrist or surgeon) so it's almost certain med students can repay giant loans eventually

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

med schools pretty much never fail anyone (it looks really bad for them, so they just steer you somewhere you can't do any real harm and don't need to know anything, like psychiatrist or surgeon) so it's almost certain med students can repay giant loans eventually

gently caress me I should have gone to med school. Pharmacy pays like poo poo and crushes your soul and will to live.

Something Ive noticed lately with the large influx of douchebags moving around the city is that realtor is the new fallback career for everyone. Doesnt matter how dumb or crazy you are, anyone can do it!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

namaste faggots posted:

ok steven patrick morrissey why don't you tell us about the pain of the english

I base my claims on the basis of their cuisine, and the thoughtfulness of your posts. :p

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

the talent deficit posted:

When a med student sucks we joke that they will make a perfectly good family physician.

Although if I had gone med route I would've done family med. Easy and short.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

Something Ive noticed lately with the large influx of douchebags moving around the city is that realtor is the new fallback career for everyone. Doesnt matter how dumb or crazy you are, anyone can do it!

In some provinces it's like a six-week online course. Then it's just a quick trip to lying to customers and immigrants who don't know better so you can stack paper.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Student loans take seven years to discharge with a bankruptcy, making getting a free education less lucrative. What's stopping random pharmacy students from taking an unsecured $250k and starting a life elsewhere?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

yippee cahier posted:

Student loans take seven years to discharge with a bankruptcy, making getting a free education less lucrative. What's stopping random pharmacy students from taking an unsecured $250k and starting a life elsewhere?

What are you going to do after the $250k runs out and suddenly you don't have a permit to work anywhere, and your credentials aren't accepted because they're issued by a foreign university and you sure as poo poo can't sort that out, because your debtors will be able to find you if you do?

That sounds incredibly short-sighted to me, when you have a decently-paying career ahead of you anyway.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Professional schools are like 90% middle upper class kids for whom $250k is not a big number. They're not going to take the money and run.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you have too much student debt then it's the French Foreign Legion for you, for everything else there is bankruptcy™

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

What are you going to do after the $250k runs out and suddenly you don't have a permit to work anywhere, and your credentials aren't accepted because they're issued by a foreign university and you sure as poo poo can't sort that out, because your debtors will be able to find you if you do?

That sounds incredibly short-sighted to me, when you have a decently-paying career ahead of you anyway.

Maybe not pharmacist but if you had a medical degree you could probably find pretty good work in the Gulf for 7 years and be beyond the reach of your debtors.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe not pharmacist but if you had a medical degree you could probably find pretty good work in the Gulf for 7 years and be beyond the reach of your debtors.

Or you could just pay off the debts with your good salary, and then save money, all while living in someplace that isn't a theocratic, racist and misogynist shithole.

Honestly: if you have a degree in medicine, why would you risk loving your up with shenanigans?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I would do it. I like living in the Gulf anyway and you'll end up with a lot more money, not having any income taxes is pretty neat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I dunno, the fact that it's basically built on modern day slavery and theocracy is a big turnoff for me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

I dunno, the fact that it's basically built on modern day slavery and theocracy is a big turnoff for me.

If you need to consume a lot of alcohol or drugs and get gay married, then it's not the place for you. Culturally and historically it's a far more interesting place than Vancouver or Calgary. You sound like every other white Anglo sex tourist who learns everything about other countries through the Daily Mail so it's unlikely I'm going to convince you otherwise so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

EDIT: The worst thing about the UAE is that there are 240,000 UK nationals residing there. I just heard a bunch of them being interviews by the FT about how awesome Brexit is.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 28, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Forget marriage, it's illegal to be gay at all in those countries

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

If you need to consume a lot of alcohol or drugs and get gay married, then it's not the place for you. Culturally and historically it's a far more interesting place than Vancouver or Calgary. You sound like every other white Anglo sex tourist who learns everything about other countries through the Daily Mail so it's unlikely I'm going to convince you otherwise so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

Yeah, I must be getting my info from the Mail and not Amnesty International or anything like that... I have no doubt I'd have a good time in most Gulf countries, aside from my vocal atheism which could well get me in trouble, but I still prefer not to give money to nations that restrict freedoms to that level and abuse immigrant labour to such an insane degree.

quote:

EDIT: The worst thing about the UAE is that there are 240,000 UK nationals residing there.

I can't argue with you there. I've reached the conclusion that the English are pretty much the worst people on Earth. It's obligatory to avoid them whenever possible if you want to retain your sanity.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What in the name of gently caress makes people put an apostrophe in situations that do not indicate a contraction or possession? Can we have them flogged?

It's at least as upsetting to me as the fact that this company is clearly run by giant cunts.