Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I feel like I remember some Q&A with Toriyama saying that the next villain would have white hair, and that was the reason for the blue hair in SSB. I wonder if that was referring to Black, or whoever is possibly behind Black being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

I mean, he'll try and stop the bad guy from reaching their perfect form or whatever, but once they do, what the hell you might as well enjoy the ride right?

Goku has never tried to stop anyone from reaching their perfect form. He often encourages it!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
*Here cell I'm going to power you up and give you a senzu bean*

*Oh I'm not gonna fight you, here Gohan have fuuuuuun*

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Goku has never tried to stop anyone from reaching their perfect form. He often encourages it!

Well to be fair with Frieza and Cell, by the time he got there, they were already in their final form. I recall him mentioning that hoped that Cell wouldn't reach his perfect form before going into the time chamber. He also didn't want to fight vegeta so that Buu would be released. Also if we count GT, he did actively try and stop sin shenron from getting all the dragon balls.

He'll let people power up though (though not necessary transform) I'll give you that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rutibex posted:

He does it to every Freeza he can find, even. He let Freeza go 100% Final because he wanted to absolutely humillate the bastard for killing Krillin, he pushed him into going Golden after his revival for a fun fight, and he called Frost out on holding back and made him take his own Final Form.

It should be noted that two out of those three ended with Goku losing. Maybe it isn't the best idea.

Then again, it might just be a Saiyan thing. Vegeta did the exact same thing with Cell after all, and took Fat Buu out of Super Buu while clearly being interested in seeing what would happen to him afterwards, causing him to become Kid Buu.

Also there's something oddly hilarious about Whis getting who Future Trunks was with barely any context (while the Pilaf Gang reached the more logical yet wrong conclusion), then afterwards completely misunderstanding how human-made time travel works. It makes sense too, he didn't expect humanity to invent time travel, and he naturally expects it to work the same as his (rewinding time, as shown in Resurrection "F"), missing that it doesn't, it creates alternate timelines. Humanity doesn't have any way to actually alter time yet (nor to time travel, since that hasn't been invented in this timeline, but details), but it doesn't stop him from getting mad because he believed they do. Jaco would likely be pretty pissed off too, but he's less dangerous.

Also also I find it amusing how at least one of these plot points have already been done by games: Trunks coming back to the past to search for allies to beat an enemy he can't defeat? Shin Budokai 2 (for Babidi there, a situation that here went completely differently).

BurningDance posted:

Future Trunks got an assessment from Beerus and Whis. Has Gohan ever received an assessment from either of them?

Not in-series. In Xenoverse, Whis comments that the Old Kai did a great job unlocking Gohan's power if adult Gohan faces Whis. This is, of course, no longer the case in-canon because Gohan stopped training so hard that his power locked itself again, so he has no actual reason to be praised.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

pik_d posted:

I feel like I remember some Q&A with Toriyama saying that the next villain would have white hair, and that was the reason for the blue hair in SSB. I wonder if that was referring to Black, or whoever is possibly behind Black being a thing.

Zamasu's a good candidate then. We don't know poo poo about him yet.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Speaking of Xenoverse, here's a thought:

It's implied one of the reasons Towa is going around messing with timelines is because her brother was killed by the heroes, and she's partly motivated by revenge. Back then it was a little iffy, because Buu was the one who actually killed Dabura, not any of the heroes. But now, Future Trunks is confirmed to be the one who killed (Future) Dabura. Soulja Boy's ring has a symbol like the Time Breakers, Towa's dudes, as I believe has been pointed out.

Now, I'm not going to claim that Xenoverse/Online's plot with all the Time Patrol stuff is going to happen in this arc.

But instead: what if this is what sets it all up in the first place? After Soulja Boy is defeated, Towa gets his Time Ring and forms the Time Breakers to mess with history and get revenge against Future Trunks. Trunks joins the Time Patrol after getting shouted at by the Supreme Kai of Time, already aware that there are rules against Time Travel, he's broken them, and he's looking to repent for his "crimes."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah and what if Piccolo learns kaioken

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

:eyepop:
That would be sick bro!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He's too busy teaching Pan the Special Beam Cannon.

Caros
May 14, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

He's too busy perfecting Diaper Beam.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

That's been perfected for a long time. :colbert:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Goku Black what is your deal, and why do you shoot black Kamehamehas that's so metal :black101:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dexo posted:

Future Trunks is like hyper loving competent. Arguably the most competent and well adjusted of any of the Z fighters

He's just real unfortunate that life seems to want to gently caress him over at every possible turn.

He has to be sorta competent because he doesn't have Goku Piccolo to bail his rear end out when he screws up in futureland

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pilaf is going to defeat Goku Black.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Please. There's only one being that can defeat Goku Black. The strongest in the universe, Monaka.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So why in Trunks' universe did Babidi and Dabura show up (I assume about) 20 years later than they did in the main timeline? Just because in the main timeline the Z Fighters weren't all dead so they could follow their power levels to Earth?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So why in Trunks' universe did Babidi and Dabura show up (I assume about) 20 years later than they did in the main timeline? Just because in the main timeline the Z Fighters weren't all dead so they could follow their power levels to Earth?

There was no Suppovitch & Yamu as they were killed off by the Androids.

But the real answer is they didn't care about conty.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It would have taken them forever to gather the energy. No Tournament of super powerful people to leech, and considering the Androids killed a ton of people. and the only person with a large amount of energy is Trunks. They would have eventually had to run into him. And unlike Gohan, Goku and Vegeta he doesn't gently caress around.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Vegita went into space to train to become a super sayjin, because of Trunks warning about the Androids. When he was in space he bumped into Babidi, giving Babidi the idea that there might be strong fighters on Earth. This caused him to speed up the time table of his Buu revival plans, making him came 20 years earlier.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
A butterfly flapped its wings in one timeline and didn't in the other (because androids killed it).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The meta answer is Toriyama and Toei doesn't care.

An in-universe answer is, with how dead Earth was and how they probably can't use the Android's energy, they only found Earth much later on.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah they were probably off pillaging other worlds and finally showed up at Earth much later on and decided to take out Trunks too.

I would love to find out that that is the Z-Sword and he breaks it against Black and Future Old Kai pops out.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

pik_d posted:

black will go SSJ but his hair will be white instead of gold or blue

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The androids probably would've been great Buu batteries.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Well, Super Perfect Cell and SSJ2 Gohan didn't have their big gently caress-off beam battle to show up on the space wizard's radar, so it took a lot longer for him to notice one dude that was slightly below Dabura's level and never did anything conspicuous except blow up two teenagers and a bug.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The mere act of traveling back in time changed things for the normal timeline, though. Like how Goku didn't contact the heart virus for months after he was supposed to.

So yeah. Butterflies.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Squallege posted:

The androids probably would've been great Buu batteries.

androids don't have ki who knows if they could even be used

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there a good jumping on point for the Kanzenshuu podcast? I've been meaning to listen for a while, but never gotten around to it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is there a good jumping on point for the Kanzenshuu podcast? I've been meaning to listen for a while, but never gotten around to it.

Don't?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

just listen to whatever sounds interesting as long as its not on april 1st because those are way too injokey for anyone who hasn't listened forever to get

even the one where Team Four Star takes over and introduces the term "nihongers"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna agree with just listening to whatever topic sounds interesting to you. The Kanzenshuu guys are extremely knowledgeable about the history of the franchise, but can be incredibly insufferable (Though I have to admit they've been better about this in their more recent episodes). Pretty much always skip the news section too unless it's the most recent episode.

It felt like recently they kept looking for excuses to do "anniversary episodes" and those are always the most boring episodes to listen to of any podcast.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Speaking of Trunks, Super Saiyan states, and Team Four Star, I recently rewatched DBZ Abridged Episode 53, and it just struck me...okay, so the final empowered Super Saiyan form becomes so slow that you cannot land blows, even with all the flash stepping air combat, but what about ki? Does it charge slower? Does it move slower?

I suspect from the pages I perused before I posted the answer is "Toriyama didn't care". Considering how inconsistent ki dodging is in the series (he's stronger so he can dodge it! He's weaker so he has to dodge it! But sometimes ki homes in like in Movie 5! The dub says it moves like lasers! And so on), it's likely, but it kind of bugs me that pragmatic Trunks didn't try a beam spam: if it could hit it might actually have WORKED for once.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Physically slower.
When you're talking high speed, like in MotoGP or Formula 1, saying your car is 1 mile per hour slower than the opponent's when he's going 210 mph and you're going 209 mph sounds nothing, but it's actually quite a lot.

So if your punch is 0.01 milliseconds slower when your opponent can react and move in 0.001 milliseconds, you'll miss every-time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Trunks was trying to fight Cell under 8f of lag.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Trunks was trying to fight Cell under 8f of lag.

drat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of Trunks, Super Saiyan states, and Team Four Star, I recently rewatched DBZ Abridged Episode 53, and it just struck me...okay, so the final empowered Super Saiyan form becomes so slow that you cannot land blows, even with all the flash stepping air combat, but what about ki? Does it charge slower? Does it move slower?

I suspect from the pages I perused before I posted the answer is "Toriyama didn't care". Considering how inconsistent ki dodging is in the series (he's stronger so he can dodge it! He's weaker so he has to dodge it! But sometimes ki homes in like in Movie 5! The dub says it moves like lasers! And so on), it's likely, but it kind of bugs me that pragmatic Trunks didn't try a beam spam: if it could hit it might actually have WORKED for once.

He was far to slow, Cell was just toying with him. Imagine fighting against The Flash, it doesn't matter if you have a laser gun you couldn't even aim it at him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
well i mean he could have blown up the planet. he didn't know cell could survive that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elfgames posted:

well i mean he could have blown up the planet. he didn't know cell could survive that.

Why would Trunks want to blow up his mommy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
:siren: :siren: :siren: CONFIRMED SSJ HAIR CHANGES FOR PLAYER CHARACTERS IN XENOVERSE 2 :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_JNJ4SBRJA

• Locked thread