Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is it pretty much "all or nothing" when doing a specific type of build? If I'm doing an alchemy build should be character page be all green? I beat the main game on Sword & Story and didn't have too much trouble, but since I did so many side quests I was usually a few levels above the main quest enemies. I started HoS at Level 35 and can generally handle the amped up drowners & knights but it usually takes a lot of effort. My build looks about 2/5 combat, 2/5 alchemy, with a couple points into Aard.

Everything I read here and elsewhere say that Death March is actually super easy and everyone's one-shotting monsters that are higher level than them and that hasn't been my experience at all, so I figure I'm doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it pretty much "all or nothing" when doing a specific type of build? If I'm doing an alchemy build should be character page be all green? I beat the main game on Sword & Story and didn't have too much trouble, but since I did so many side quests I was usually a few levels above the main quest enemies. I started HoS at Level 35 and can generally handle the amped up drowners & knights but it usually takes a lot of effort. My build looks about 2/5 combat, 2/5 alchemy, with a couple points into Aard.

Everything I read here and elsewhere say that Death March is actually super easy and everyone's one-shotting monsters that are higher level than them and that hasn't been my experience at all, so I figure I'm doing something wrong.

See my edit above, but no, one of the great points of this is game is that you *don't* have to do that. Play the way you want.

I'd argue that the caveat of "Death March is easy" is that it is only easier later in the game. It is balls rear end hard at first, until you're way outleveled.

Also, anecdotally, my first play I started on B&BB, and quickly moved up to DM. There most certainly is a learning curve on what you can get away with, it must be much greater from S&S. The big difference is to not get over confident and dodge a LOT. There's really no such thing as dodging too much.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bloodbath is just so much fun, weaving through groups lopping off heads and limbs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

Nah, I'd say hybrid builds make the most sense once you have the points and slots since you can grab the best abilities from several trees. There are quite a few filler and "eh" abilities, like I mentioned the first two tiers of Signs is great but the lower tiers are rather crap. You're probably better off just picking your favorite couple of alt-Signs and slapping some Sign Intensity on your gear than going deep in Signs.

Most of my builds I've messed around with go something like:

Signs- I usually run with the Yrden abilities and Delusion for conversation, I'd recommend picking your favorite alternate sign modes for utility.
Swords- pick either the heavy or light attack lines, the alternate attack modes Whirl and Reave(?) are great
Alchemy- at minimum you want Acquired Tolerance so you can run a couple decoctions at once, I recommend the blade oil = poison and damage reduction. Bombs and other potion talents are also very cool.

Basically you're just looking for utility and options from your ability spec.

Death March is pretty challenging, you definitely won't be one-shotting enemies. Most anything you're fighting is going to wreck you in a couple of hits but has a decent amount of HP. This means combat is focused on avoiding attacks by dodging and liberal usage of CC Signs and Alchemy items, get in a few sword cuts while you can and dodge out, repeat. Dodge and don't get greedy. That's one of the reasons I love alt-Yrden, it interrupts the gently caress out of enemies, breaks their attack chains. Casting Igni will give you a few seconds of CC and some good %HP damage, dropping an alt-Yrden gets you 20 (I think?) zaps which is a lot of interrupting.

Edit: if you ever have trouble with wraiths, the answer is alt-Yrden.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 27, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just before I turn off the game forever, I went for a ride around a corner of Toussaint I'd not explored yet, I ran through one of those grey-ish areas and welp

Thats what my game is now and reloading hasn't fixed it. Luckily I'd finished my last quest so this doesn't affect me at all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just before I turn off the game forever, I went for a ride around a corner of Toussaint I'd not explored yet, I ran through one of those grey-ish areas and welp

Thats what my game is now and reloading hasn't fixed it. Luckily I'd finished my last quest so this doesn't affect me at all.

You went into the light, it's OK friend.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

That lighting effect happened to me too, but it faded after a minute :shrug:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

pik_d posted:

You went into the light, it's OK friend.

I figure its Geralt having a heart attack and dying, so a nice fitting end to my game

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

FutonForensic posted:

That lighting effect happened to me too, but it faded after a minute :shrug:
:same: I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Picking up my Blood and Wine campaign after getting sidetracked with another game. Is it just me or are the Grandmaster versions of the swords all terrible? They all seem to be level 40 weapons that don't scale very well. They don't seem to offer all that much vs even the HoS Viper blades I am using.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well you have to use them if there's a 6pc set bonus you care about but otherwise you will replace them since B&W relic swords go to 50+ and unlike most non-witcher swords in vanilla they are well-itemized.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do the Witcher crossbows count for set bonuses?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hobo Clown posted:

Regarding Following the Thread, it fails when you start Ugly Baby (at least it did for me), because it moves Lambert out of Novigrad. I played him for his card as he was walking away after finishing Following the Thread, but I assume he's still playable where he shows up later.

Yeah, you have to finish up Following the Thread first, I think if you don't do it then Lambert still shows up at Kaer Morhen but because he never got closure he isn't able to develop a relationship with Keira Metz?

Avalerion posted:

People's opinion about the romance pretty much seems down to whether you read the books or not.

Never read the books but I had Geralt go with Yenn and far preferred that relationship. Triss actually rubbed me the wrong way right from the first game where she was obviously manipulating and lying to Geralt (in one cutscene you actually overhear her bragging about it and if you confront her about it she just dismisses it and you can't do anything about it) so the moment I had a chance to get Geralt to ditch her for Shani I did (quite honestly more out of concern for Alvin, since Shani seemed to have his best interests at heart while Triss was more about using him for her advantage). I was annoyed that they forced Geralt and Triss back together for Witcher 2 but it ended up making for a good story in the end.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MikeC posted:

Picking up my Blood and Wine campaign after getting sidetracked with another game. Is it just me or are the Grandmaster versions of the swords all terrible? They all seem to be level 40 weapons that don't scale very well. They don't seem to offer all that much vs even the HoS Viper blades I am using.

Yeah, they're not the best. There is actually a whole sidequest in B&W that rewards you with the "best" silver sword, and a few sidequests that give you better steel swords as rewards than the Grandmaster versions.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

RatHat posted:

Do the Witcher crossbows count for set bonuses?

yes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Are there any high level ones? Or will I need to keep the low level Feline crossbow to get the 6 piece set bonus so I can also use that sword that levels with you?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It's pretty dumb that the only witcher crossbow is from that despicable school of the Cat. :colbert:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

It's pretty dumb that the only witcher crossbow is from that despicable school of the Cat. :colbert:

Ursine set has a crossbow too. Looks very slightly different, stats the same though, iirc.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

qbert posted:

Yeah, they're not the best. There is actually a whole sidequest in B&W that rewards you with the "best" silver sword, and a few sidequests that give you better steel swords as rewards than the Grandmaster versions.

My favorite part of the game is the dramatic scene where the king(?) of Skellige gives you his family sword which had been handed down through generations to help you in your fight against the Hunt. Immediately sold it to the nearest merchant since I already had something better equipped.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

ETPC posted:

You have freed me.

I just want you to know that you could have easily come to this solution on your own

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
BaW character interaction, late game spoilers. I feel really bad I had sex with Syrianna. It was pretty much the coolest sex scene ever, but I affirmed my love to Yen and promised to settle down with her happily ever after. Totally forgot about that at the time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Moose-Alini posted:

BaW character interaction, late game spoilers. I feel really bad I had sex with Syrianna. It was pretty much the coolest sex scene ever, but I affirmed my love to Yen and promised to settle down with her happily ever after. Totally forgot about that at the time.

yen and getalt are cool with sleeping around when separated

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I took that more as when they are off again in their on again off again relationship. And it seems like we promised to make it for realz this time.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Moose-Alini posted:

I took that more as when they are off again in their on again off again relationship. And it seems like we promised to make it for realz this time.

It's also very much that Yen cares much more about what Geralts feelings towards his conquests. There's a reason why she cares so much about you and Triss even though you literally had no memory of Yen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also realtalk: there's a big element of out-of-sight-out-of-mind to the idea of being cool with your long term partner sleeping around. It's one thing to be cool with a theoretical fling on the other side of the planet, it's quite another when he brings her home. Her friend Triss, who somebody so astutely called Yen and Geralt's bizarre incestuous little sister, is not something she can just ignore. Seeing her on Geralt's arm has to be painful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Basically if you pick the Triss romance you've probably never been in an actual long-term relationship. Triss is largely the typical RPG male power fantasy of the beautiful submissive and clingy lady. She really wants to be with Geralt and there's no real conflict between the two.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 28, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pellisworth posted:

Basically if you pick the Triss romance you've probably never been in an actual long-term relationship. Triss is largely the typical RPG male power fantasy of the beautiful submissive and clingy lady. She really wants to be with Geralt and there's no real conflict between the two.

I get why people would choose Triss but man the game does everything in its power to say that Yen and Geralt are perfect for each other. Like she doesn't give a poo poo and is rude to everyone and gives Geralt tons of a sass and the entire time you're given the impression that he likes that. It really felt like they had chemistry that him and Triss didn't. That being said, I've only played Witcher 3, didn't play the other two and didn't read the books.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is there a way to change or add gwent cards? I've got a bug where the catapult from white orchard was turned into a poor loving infantry. And I've already done the velen quests. I really do not want to start over. I've already put 10 hours into this run.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not really, no.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well that was an odd bug. Was doing the Vegelbud Derby races and on the last part right before the race started I fell through the ground, died, and auto-lost the race. Worked fine on a reload though.

Also it's pretty funny how the end of that quest just turns into a huge fight between Cleaver's men and the guards.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moose-Alini posted:

Syanna raised the bar so Yen has gotta step her game up. Cloud sex > stuffed unicorn sex. Now maybe if Yen had a real unicorn and it was flying around and poo poo...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 28, 2016

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Syanna raised the bar so Yen has gotta step her game up. Cloud sex > stuffed unicorn sex. Now maybe if he had a real unicorn and it was flying around and poo poo...

"Pegasex," make it happen CDPR!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Question:

Why is there a skeleton with a hat and gauntlet in your secret mansion cave?

No, seriously, what is with the fedora skeleton? Is there some joke I'm missing? A super obscure reference? Why does he keep popping up in labs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack of Hearts posted:

Not really, no.

Yeah, at one point, Geralt thought Yen had cheated on him, so he went and banged Fringilla Vigo for revenge sex.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, at one point, Geralt thought Yen had cheated on him, so he went and banged Fringilla Vigo for revenge sex.

That's definitely not what happened.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Fyke Island quick travel sign keeps having villagers cry out in horror at me. Like seriously, I get startled every time I run through the gate, as someone starts screaming at me.

Meanwhile, what the sign option that would allow me to cast two signs right after one another / would cancel the stamina drain due to rolling? (That bit is hella annoying - I can't help but roll a lot in certain fights, and the stamina drain just kills my spellcasting. Particularly since if you do decide to straight up run, Geralt will stop and start inching backwards just in time for someone to smash him in the face)

Edit - in AI related news (what can I say - I love to make the AI fight itself, and I hate it when the game makes things very obvious in stopping me from doing so) - I've both had a pissed off Nilf soldier, chasing me to the ends of the earth for stealing a loaf of bread team up with the wolves roaming the forests AND had the baron's henchmen guarding the bridge to Crowe's Peak completely ignore drowners shuffling right up to the them in an effort to get that delicious Roach.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 28, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

4 days, 48 percent downloaded.

In regards to equipment is there any unique stuff you shouldn't drop, because it's quest-relevant or can't be crafted?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xander77 posted:

The Fyke Island quick travel sign keeps having villagers cry out in horror at me. Like seriously, I get startled every time I run through the gate, as someone starts screaming at me.

Actual peasants on the Isle or just the signpost screaming at you?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Meanwhile, what the sign option that would allow me to cast two signs right after one another / would cancel the stamina drain due to rolling? (That bit is hella annoying - I can't help but roll a lot in certain fights, and the stamina drain just kills my spellcasting. Particularly since if you do decide to straight up run, Geralt will stop and start inching backwards just in time for someone to smash him in the face)

There's a generic ability that gives you massive stamina regen boost when wearing medium armor, if you want to cast a lot of spells try that. Also, you should mostly be short-dodging (double tap movement key on keyboard/mouse) instead of rolling, that will let your stamina regen.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In regards to equipment is there any unique stuff you shouldn't drop, because it's quest-relevant or can't be crafted?

Everything quest-related will have a yellow exclamation mark on it. Loot is mostly randomized and level-scaled, and crafting components weigh nothing. So no, hoard as much poo poo as you want and there aren't any "surprise" or hidden items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You get a couple unique swords from quests that you'll be too overleveled to care about but keep them if you get the add-ons to display them. You get one at the very end of the main quest depending on your choices and also a couple unique ones at the end of HoS. There is also unique clothing like masks and a pair of shades you can get at one point you should definitely hang onto.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 28, 2016