Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

This isn't a record, but there isn't a thread for 'beautifully packaged cdr with custom art all made by the guy who also made the music'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hell ya.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That is real loving good.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bought some stuff today. Also looked around for a copy of boysetsfire - after the eulogy but it's like a hundred quid coz the band don't own the rights to press any more or something? Wtf?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sucks, it's a great album.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I got After the Eulogy for my sister some seven, eight years ago and haven't seen one for my own collection since. I should have bought the two when I had the chance.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

I recently added my collection on Discogs and I have to say I'm completely baffled by some of the prices that albums have been sold for over the years. I used to be into skate punk back in the 90s-early 00s and I never thought any of the albums I got would ever gain any value. Turns out I was wrong. Boysetsfire running 120€? Propagandhi's Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes 185€? Satanic Surfers' Hero of Our Time and No Use For A Name's More Betterness for 180€? Who even listens to that stuff any more? Let alone pay triple digits for them? I mean, most of my old records still have their price stickers on them and it seems they've gone up tenfold since I got them. So, uh, thanks mum and dad for not getting me a CD player when I was a teenager I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Going to punk shows as a teen in the 90s is what got me back into vinyl. Tons of cheap 7" releases that looked cool on every merch table seemed far more fun than the more expensive CDs to me.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i for one am proud to own hundreds of diy punk records that i couldn't sell for 5 dollars

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

stay depressed posted:

i for one am proud to own hundreds of diy punk records that i couldn't sell for 5 dollars

I wanted to buy some!!!!!

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

EL BROMANCE posted:

Going to punk shows as a teen in the 90s is what got me back into vinyl. Tons of cheap 7" releases that looked cool on every merch table seemed far more fun than the more expensive CDs to me.

The perks of having a decent scene near you I guess. Living in Greece, I was never really into the local bands here, and as a result I don't really have any records from those shows. It always seemed to me that they were stuck in the 80s, which would not be necessarily bad but, trust me, it was. I still went and supported them but if I was going to spend my allowance on records I'd rather spend it on stuff I actually liked. I'm glad to see that there's a wave of new local bands playing kickass music nowadays and I buy every vinyl I can get at every show I go to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pooper Trooper posted:

The perks of having a decent scene near you I guess. Living in Greece, I was never really into the local bands here, and as a result I don't really have any records from those shows. It always seemed to me that they were stuck in the 80s

Ha, I actually know what you mean. I went from living in a pair of cities where I could see US touring bands fairly regularly, as well as having some great locals, to my college town just an hour or two down the road which was like a different world. In the first week there I got to see Cro-Mags and then... That was it! The few local gigs I went to were full of people in leather jackets with 999 and Demob patches (this was 2000-2004). Was like a time warp. Thank god for summer breaks back home.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Good lookin' out. This is great! first time hearing this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lu_ducky posted:

Good lookin' out. This is great! first time hearing this.

drat straight, just listened to it on youtube, ordered the album, then listened to it again. So good, can't believe I haven't heard of it before.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know why I bought it, I don't know why I care that it's not here yet, but I ordered the Joysticks soundtrack on vinyl and it was supposed to release "in the spring" and it's now coming up on mid-summer. The last update on the website was that the records were all pressed and ready to ship out, and that was at least a month ago.

The main thing bugging me is just the fact that it's the last vinyl pre-order hanging over my head that hasn't arrived yet, and it was the first one I pre-ordered this year (also it had a banner ad on the forums for some reason).

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know why I bought it, I don't know why I care that it's not here yet, but I ordered the Joysticks soundtrack on vinyl and it was supposed to release "in the spring" and it's now coming up on mid-summer. The last update on the website was that the records were all pressed and ready to ship out, and that was at least a month ago.

The main thing bugging me is just the fact that it's the last vinyl pre-order hanging over my head that hasn't arrived yet, and it was the first one I pre-ordered this year (also it had a banner ad on the forums for some reason).

patience, friend!

we're waiting on the jackets to arrive and once they're in, this'll all be assembled & sent out

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
My record label Tipping Hand released its first vinyl record today from electronic producer Jesse Somfay. Everything from the packaging to the mastering got an incredible amount of attention and I couldn't be happier with the results. If you're into experimental music like Aphex Twin, OPN, or sci-fi soundtracks like Blade Runner, I think you'll find something to enjoy here. Code "Goon" saves 10%.

Stream / Digi / 2LP here:

https://tippinghand.bandcamp.com/album/levamentum-aqua-regia

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Two codes below.

DJ Shadow The Mountain Will Fall

Amon Tobin Super Modified

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

DJ Shadow The Mountain Will Fall

I grabbed this, thank you!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Enos Cabell posted:

drat straight, just listened to it on youtube, ordered the album, then listened to it again. So good, can't believe I haven't heard of it before.

This is seriously near the top of my favorite albums of all time. I had it played at my wedding, and that Madlib blurb saying he could listen to it every day for the rest of his life is in no way an exaggeration.

The fact that the album was a commercial flop and pretty much forgotten to time for nearly 40 years before the hip hop community rediscovered it is a marvel in itself. I remember an interview with Verocai where he said there was a time in his life he was so ashamed by the album he refused to even talk about it or listen to it, and he'd yell at his kids if they found his copy and tried playing it on the stereo.

I'm just glad he lived long enough to see it become recognized for the masterpiece that it is. He performed it live for the first time only a few years ago. :unsmith:

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Gravel Gravy posted:

Two codes below.

Amon Tobin Super Modified

And I got this! Thanks!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Oh man, that's pretty cool. I like the Satan's Hollow logo :D

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Bola - Fuyti

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Since we're doing download codes, have some BoC:

Please to enjoy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Holy cow, I did not expect this to make its way across the Atlantic so quickly.

It sounds loving DIVINE. My only quibble is I wish they included a sheet of English liner notes. Otherwise it's made to look like an exact replica of the original 1972 Brazilian reissue.

I know we all have different tastes in music and lord knows I listen to some dopey poo poo. But I cannot emphasize enough at how essential an album this is to be in everyone's collection.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got a nice garage sale deal on Saturday. This lady buys returned product at auctions and had a pile of new records for $5 each.

Ziggy has a light scratch on each side, Gilmour's new album just had a blown out inner sleeve. Can't find a thing wrong with the other two, probably skipped on the previous owners lovely Crosley.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What's the best remedy for what must be a huge speck of dust that won't leave with dry or wet brushing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dogen posted:

What's the best remedy for what must be a huge speck of dust that won't leave with dry or wet brushing?

There was someone recently who posted a like to a blog post about using a toothpick to do that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

There was someone recently who posted a like to a blog post about using a toothpick to do that.

I think it was this blog https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2014/05/12/how-to-mend-a-record-that-skips-and-jumps-with-a-toothpick/

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

That was me.

Watch where the cartridge is in relation to the label when it hits the spec of dust. This should help you find the right area of the record. You should also be able to see about how far into the song it is.

Grab a tooth pick and run it back and forth down one of the grooves. It's too soft to do any damage, use just enough force that you can feel the bottom of the groove. It's going to take a few tries to hit the right one unless it's a big enough spec to see. It took me about 20 to 25 tries, you'll feel it fly out when you hit it.

Good luck!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yes! Thank you.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here, I bought a record

talk about aggressive!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_LL_wkBlc

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Toe Rag posted:

Here, I bought a record

talk about aggressive!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_LL_wkBlc

I like this. On a related note, does anyone know any good Queercore bands?

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Are you talking like Mukilteo Fairies and Behead The Prophet No Lord Shall Live?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

G.L.O.S.S. has been extremely my poo poo lately.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
huggy bear, pansy division, team dresch, god is my co-pilot, longstocking, your heart breaks, limp wrist,

there's a ton of bands called poo poo like black fag, gayrilla biscuits, and youth of togay but i forget which ones are good

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

DrHolmesPhD posted:

Are you talking like Mukilteo Fairies and Behead The Prophet No Lord Shall Live?

these are good

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Allen Wren posted:

G.L.O.S.S. has been extremely my poo poo lately.

also: good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Thanks, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I shouldn't have cheaped on the shipping for that Verocai release. I will now enjoy my split seam up top and a nice bend on the back right. :sweatdrop: