Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

edit 2: While I was looking around for more art by the art guy featured in that article, I found this. Remember when we were wondering about padded jerkins and mail in the early modern period? Check out this stylish, and well-protected, fellow:

And imagine the life he leads, where "I need body armor for daily wear but the ribbons on it should also match the feathers on my tiny, jauntily-tilted hat" is an important life consideration.

How many hours a day would someone have to spend polishing a a setup like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Absolutely zero - he has people for that kind of thing.

Were there battlefield glam tailors following these guys around, or did they let it all go to poo poo on campaign and just dress up for the portraits?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Siivola posted:

Can someone explain how in 1810 the Swedes decided to elect a French general to be their crown prince? What sort of moon logic was involved there?

Suck up to Napoleon? The reigning Swedish line was extinguished so it was seen as a clever diplomatic move. It even worked out despite itself because ultimately Bernadotte turned out to like his Swedish gig too much to kowtow to Napoleon.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Bernadotte becoming king hinged a lot on one of the Swedish couriers heading for Paris essentially having an obsession about how Sweden needs a French Marshal to make it, and acting on his own authority a lot which then got approved of post-fact. Bernadotte wasn't a candidate on anyone's mind initially.

In addition, Bernadotte might have bribed him.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Antti posted:

Suck up to Napoleon? The reigning Swedish line was extinguished so it was seen as a clever diplomatic move. It even worked out despite itself because ultimately Bernadotte turned out to like his Swedish gig too much to kowtow to Napoleon.

Didn't Napoleon loving hate Bernadotte at this point though? He summarily sacked him on the field at Wagram due to his lovely performance and told him to get lost until the battle was over.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Okay so the Swedes wanted a French guy who Napoleon liked, ended up unwittingly picking a French guy Napoleon hated, but in the long run it worked out better for them because they wound up on the ultimately winning side.

There's a lesson here somewhere but I'm not sure what it is.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Antti posted:

Okay so the Swedes wanted a French guy who Napoleon liked, ended up unwittingly picking a French guy Napoleon hated, but in the long run it worked out better for them because they wound up on the ultimately winning side.

There's a lesson here somewhere but I'm not sure what it is.

Better to be lucky then clever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't Napoleon loving hate Bernadotte at this point though? He summarily sacked him on the field at Wagram due to his lovely performance and told him to get lost until the battle was over.

Yep! Bonaparte was a patient man as the dude had hosed up quite a few times before that but with the battle being such a close call it was the final straw and he more or less shoved Bernadotte to the French Marshal back bench.

Was it ever confirmed or not the dude had a DEATH TO KINGS tattoo?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

Were there battlefield glam tailors following these guys around, or did they let it all go to poo poo on campaign and just dress up for the portraits?
at least some of them had tailors and i know this because Theodoro de Camargo, Obrist Lieutenant of the infantry part of the Mansfeld Regiment, Belgian, and all around trash person, had a journeyman tailor hanged in 1632 when he deserted and was caught later. (On the other hand, it could be that tailor was that dude's civilian occupation.)

It's in this, which is a website you should read if you can speak German:
http://www.30jaehrigerkrieg.de/comargo-camargo-camario-cammerario-%E2%80%9Ecarnay-theodor-freiherr-de/

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Today we're examining the various General Purpose - High Explosive bombs in the Italian Ordnance list. How were they fuzed? What was the difference between a TNT-filled or an Amatol-filled 100kg bomb? What were the differences between the 500kg and 800kg bombs, aside from weight? What could be made from the 800kg bomb? Which bomb could be modified into a glide bomb?

All that and more at the blog!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, I discovered in the musuem gift shop they are selling tea towels with Kitchener doing the famous YOU COUNTRY NEEDS YOU POSE whilst wearing his late 19th century field marshal uniform which I expect means the WW1 one is copyrighted now. A perfect git for somebody descended from Boers I guess?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A perfect git indeed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

my dad posted:

A perfect git indeed.

I wouldn't buy it, the quality alone means it'll last what, two weeks of use?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, I discovered in the musuem gift shop they are selling tea towels with Kitchener doing the famous YOU COUNTRY NEEDS YOU POSE whilst wearing his late 19th century field marshal uniform which I expect means the WW1 one is copyrighted now. A perfect git for somebody descended from Boers I guess?

Only slightly more tasteful than floaties with his face on it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

For those that don't know what the gently caress a tea towel is, It's basically the cloth you use to wipe down plates and stuff when your done washing up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

:allears: God, I wish HBO would. I'd be happy with a TL-191 miniseries too.

Every scene of the show would start with the characters in it turning to the camera and saying "Hi, I'm X and my one personal defining quirk is Y".

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yep! Bonaparte was a patient man as the dude had hosed up quite a few times before that but with the battle being such a close call it was the final straw and he more or less shoved Bernadotte to the French Marshal back bench.

It has never been confirmed that he didn't have it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

For those that don't know what the gently caress a tea towel is, It's basically the cloth you use to wipe down plates and stuff when your done washing up.

Our leftpondian compadres say dishcloth.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Kitchner tea cozy would be p. boss though.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nah! But it's pretty hilarious that he was conservative as gently caress as KIng when he himself was a product of the French revolution.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

There were a couple reproduction planes that were okay I guess? (Most were mothballed but they had some WWI era stuff ; my uncle, who's a pilot, was super disappointed. )

They also have a mining exhibit that might look cool but goes on way too long. Like Mines of Moria O gently caress How Am I Not Done Yet long. Same uncle and me ended up abandoning everyone else and speed-walking the rest after 20+ minutes (that still took most of an hour! gently caress!), shouting in German, "It's a loving hole! We got it! You dug a thing! gently caress!"

And I didn't even mention waiting an hour in the rain to get it.

Seriously. Don't go until they finish construction.

gently caress.

if you ever wanna get really disappointed, you should check out the Proud Bird restaurant near Los Angeles International Airport. I drive by it a lot when I'm working. It's a currently-defunct restaurant/banquet hall with a bunch of old planes in front of it. They've got what I believe to be a replica Sopwith Camel and Fokker (unsure of make I don't know WWI aviation well) and then what I'm pretty sure is a real P-51 and a MiG, among other things. They're all just sitting out in the weather getting more and more beat up.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 27, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

Nah! But it's pretty hilarious that he was conservative as gently caress as KIng when he himself was a product of the French revolution.

Seriously, aside from obviousy Napoleon that revolution and the events that followed was a boon for opportunists. Look at the background of a lot of the marshals and they were either just common soldiers or dudes who's families were either low tier tradesmen or shop keepers. Or exiled nobles that managed to get their foot in the door. Or 2nd/3rd generation immigrants.

Talleyrand holy poo poo was the ultimate survivor of all this.

That is why I love the era.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

if you ever wanna get really disappointed, you should check out the Proud Bird restaurant near Los Angeles International Airport. I drive by it a lot when I'm working. It's a currently-defunct museum with a bunch of old planes in front of it. They've got what I believe to be a replica Sopwith Camel and Fokker (unsure of make I don't know WWI aviation well) and then what I'm pretty sure is a real P-51 and a MiG, among other things. They're all just sitting out in the weather getting more and more beat up.

Awww. This always reminds me of that prototype Soviet space shuttle too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

That is why I love the era.
it's the exact reason why i love the early 17th century. if you're smart and don't die in childhood of something bullshit and don't starve to death and your friends don't kill you over dice, you have a 1 in 1000 chance to make hell of bank no matter who you were when you were born. :cheers:

all you have to do is become a soldier

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How much of Hitler's recorded conversation with Mannerheim was just Hitler bullshitting?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

it's the exact reason why i love the early 17th century. if you're smart and don't die in childhood of something bullshit and don't starve to death and your friends don't kill you over dice, you have a 1 in 1000 chance to make hell of bank no matter who you were when you were born. :cheers:

all you have to do is become a soldier

Pretty much, these guys are very different from soldiers and people of our time. And that makes them hella more human too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much, these guys are very different from soldiers and people of our time. And that makes them hella more human too.
think about aldringen---from nothing at all, like a clerk or something, to a general, to one of the richest people in the Empire in one night when he and Gallas took the ducal palace during the sack of Mantua

edit: content

Vrancx again. Lots of little details in this one--for instance, there appear to be little metal disks hanging from the wallet of the man who's in the process of killing a pikeman with a flail in the center there.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 28, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

lenoon posted:

That's what I meant - how long would it take them?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Someone asked Hegel a while back about 30 Years War books and Wilson came up. I'm digesting his Heart of Europe right now and it's real good too.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

26th: It's raining on the Somme; the ground will need time to dry out, so we've got a 48-hour postponement and we're back to the 1st of July again. The line at Verdun has just about re-congealed; Henri Desagneaux is still alive; the Ottomans attack again in the Caucasus; an Italian soldier gets beaten up by his mates for saving the general's life; Maximilian Mugge has just received an extremely unexpected transfer back out of the Non-Combatant Corps; Malcolm White goes up for a look at Beaumont Hamel; and Evelyn Southwell has washed up in a very odd bit of trench.

27th: One of General Hunter-Weston's brigadiers is rather worried about how optimistic his objectives are; somewhere else in the BEF, a sergeant is making some rather pointed comments to his brigadier; at HQ, General Haig is holding forth on the importance of keeping the cavalry ready to exploit that breakthrough at Pozieres. Emilio Lussu watches his captain offer some good advice to a dead man; Henri Desagneaux's ongoing tale of woe gives me an excellent idea for a segue; JRR Tolkien leaves Etaples to join his battalion; Robert Pelissier has been given some rest; and Oskar Teichman watches a boxing tournament.

ArchangeI posted:

Only slightly more tasteful than floaties with his face on it.

Merchandising war heroes is absolutely nothing new. Here's Ian Hislop in a room full of contemporary Robert Baden-Powell/Mafeking commemorative tat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Presumably you intended "dhonr" to be spelt "shone"?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
All this stuff from Lussu has been pretty hair-raising.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No poo poo. :stare:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just hope Landskechts become the hot new thing. It'll just take one groundbreaking HBO show to get the ball rolling...

There's always Warhammer Fantasy where the main human faction is fantasy!HRE. Complete with pike-and-shot (okay halberd-and-shot), impeccable fashion, and court politics.The troops even clad themselves in the color of their province to make sure that everyone else knows what province they came from. As a plus Total Warhammer just came out and is well received.

And then there's the current emperor's title:

Warhammer Fantasy Wiki posted:

Karl Franz I, Protector of the Empire, Defier of the Dark, Emperor Himself and the Son of Emperors, Elector Count of Reikland and Prince of Altdorf

Granted he could always use a few more.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm pretty sure Hey Gal's despair when she learned about the whole End Times and Age of Sigmar thingie was strong enough to attain a life of its own.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure Hey Gal's despair when she learned about the whole End Times and Age of Sigmar thingie was strong enough to attain a life of its own.
they made a fantasy RPG and wargames setting based on my favorite time period and then they killed it!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Emilio Lussu watches his captain offer some good advice to a dead man...
The squirrel thing: how well supplied are these Alpini--do you suppose the sharpshooter wants to eat them? or do you think he wants to shoot them because he's, you know, a sharpshooter and it would be a challenge?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Danann posted:

There's always Warhammer Fantasy where the main human faction is fantasy!HRE. Complete with pike-and-shot (okay halberd-and-shot), impeccable fashion, and court politics.The troops even clad themselves in the color of their province to make sure that everyone else knows what province they came from.

Of course, they also have Steam Tanks, Wizards, and the Emperor rides around on a Griffin, so it's not a 100% cut and paste there.

Also thanks to Trin Tragula. Reading the news from a 100 years ago makes a pleasent and restful alternative from looking at the news today.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deptfordx posted:

...the news from a 100 years ago ...the news today.
hey, look at it this way

central europe is one big mishmash, a german rules it, nation-states in the strict sense aren't a thing, scotland and england may or may not be joined politically, england is decisively and conclusively not a World Power, and finance jobs might be coming either to a powerful german city or to spain

from my point of view, the 17th century is back :greenangel:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

The squirrel thing: how well supplied are these Alpini--do you suppose the sharpshooter wants to eat them? or do you think he wants to shoot them because he's, you know, a sharpshooter and it would be a challenge?

I'd think there wouldn't be much of the squirrel left if it was hit by a shot from a WW1 service rifle so probably the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'd think there wouldn't be much of the squirrel left if it was hit by a shot from a WW1 service rifle so probably the latter.
yeah i know nothing about guns after black powder

• Locked thread