Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Lots of negative trolls itt.

Quote this post if you still believe.

I believe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
My thoughts on yesterdays game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_pl68YX48

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
You eat pieces of poo poo for Brexit?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Ahhh, today is a good day. When does the England team go home?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

can't believe roy "god" hodgson let us down lads

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

That's the assistant manager silly. We should hire lagerbecks though. With a name like that he's the man to lead us to glory in 2018

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Friends. It's time to look forward to the world cup. It's coming home.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Friends. It's time to look forward to the world cup. It's coming home.

I'm sure under the steadfast leadership of *checks ladbrokes* GARETH :stare: SOUTHGATE, the greatest trophy of them all is well within reach

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

blue footed boobie posted:

He's legitimately the best English manager for the job but he would never be accepted because the English demand that their dogshit team not only win, but do it in style.
The style of English losses does leave a mark alright.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Ahhh, today is a good day. When does the England team go home?

Negotiations haven't yet started. Two years at the earliest.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Fact: England were the 16th team to be eliminated this Euros, which in previous tournaments would have meant we were champions.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/27/wales-players-celebrate-englands-defeat-to-iceland-and-euro-2016/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Not entirely sure why the Wales players are celebrating like that when they all have mates and club teammates in the England squad.

Also the Iceland squad, love.

gently caress the English.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I was trying to think if I'd ever seen a more depressing game than that one, then immediately thought of at least 4 other England matches from the last 10 years. Why are we so unendingly loving poo poo?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

Also the Iceland squad, love.

gently caress the English.

This is racist.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

peanut- posted:

I was trying to think if I'd ever seen a more depressing game than that one, then immediately thought of at least 4 other England matches from the last 10 years. Why are we so unendingly loving poo poo?
Too many mediocre Spurs players.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Pretend I went back and dug out my post that you all ridiculed when I questioned taking so many Spurs players on the wrong end of a massive bottle job. Only Dier did well enough to warrant selection imo.

e: and maybe Walker?

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 28, 2016

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah it was the Spurs players letting us down while Rooney, Sterling, Wilshere, Sturridge, Hart etc etc put in a heroic performance for the ages.

This is just a continuation of how utterly abject England have looked at every tournament since 2010. The Spurs players might be the new faces but the malaise is the same.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ninpo posted:

Pretend I went back and dug out my post that you all ridiculed when I questioned taking so many Spurs players on the wrong end of a massive bottle job. Only Dier did well enough to warrant selection imo.

He was crap bar the free kick

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peanut- posted:

Yeah it was the Spurs players letting us down while Rooney, Sterling, Wilshere, Sturridge, Hart etc etc put in a heroic performance for the ages.

This is just a continuation of how utterly abject England have looked at every tournament since 2010. The Spurs players might be the new faces but the malaise is the same.

Rooney and Sturridge weren't bad I don't think, apart from last night when everyone to a man played like complete garbage. We already all knew that taking Wilshere over Drinkwater was sheer lunacy and I'll have another meltdown if I start talking about Hart.

e: 2 goals from open play all tournament and he still picks Kane up front in a knockout match, loving lol AND had him on loving set pieces AGAIN

I'm melting down

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kane's set pieces at least provided some humour

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

kane's set pieces at least provided some humour

They stopped being funny as soon as he took a second one and that last one that he shanked completely wide of the mark was loving infuriating

"Why hasn't he made another sub yet" and "Why is Kane STILL taking free kicks" were probably the most uttered things in my house

lol, 18 shots, 4 on target and he waited until the 86th minute to bring Rashford on :rant:

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 28, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rooney was only decent against Wales. Garbage for the rest. Needs to call it time so we can build a squad without him being there by default.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Kane is shite, I've said so for years already but you people won't listen.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Complaining about the team selection implies there is a combination of English players who would be good. There arent. Its a nation in decline and very poor at soccer. The delusional fans need to accept it imo or you'll just keep repeating this crap til death. England haven't won a knockout match at an international tournament in 10 years. Some of you are like battered wives

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

Complaining about the team selection implies there is a combination of English players who would be good. There arent. Its a nation in decline and very poor at soccer. The delusional fans need to accept it imo or you'll just keep repeating this crap til death. England haven't won a knockout match at an international tournament in 10 years. Some of you are like battered wives

I'm not trying to say there's a combination of English players that would have gone on to win it but I'm pretty sure there's an England team combination that should be loving beating Iceland ffs

Still starting Joe Shart after he'd made one minor and one major blunder, both leading to goals, for him to gift Iceland the winner would be a good place to start. Iceland shut up shop after their second and we saw against Slovakia we don't know what to do about that.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Big Sam would unironically be great

Call up Big Andy and oval office it up imo

At least he'd call up Noble

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ninpo posted:

I'm not trying to say there's a combination of English players that would have gone on to win it but I'm pretty sure there's an England team combination that should be loving beating Iceland ffs

Still starting Joe Shart after he'd made one minor and one major blunder, both leading to goals, for him to gift Iceland the winner would be a good place to start. Iceland shut up shop after their second and we saw against Slovakia we don't know what to do about that.

England shouldn't be viewed as favorites either, the mentality is all wrong. Iceland was very good in qualifying. The England players are all big "stars" for being highly paid and on big PL teams and individual form isn't important. England fans, manager, players should all view the team as underdogs and they should play as such. Pure hoofball stle. Too much hubris. The media will latch on to some solution like making kids play 7v7 and copy some aspect of another more successful nation and nothing will change. Its all in their head. Way too much pressure on the players

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

HJB posted:

Fact: England were the 16th team to be eliminated this Euros, which in previous tournaments would have meant we were champions.

The champions don't get eliminated, it's that the opposing troops end

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

England shouldn't be viewed as favorites either, the mentality is all wrong. Iceland was very good in qualifying. The England players are all big "stars" for being highly paid and on big PL teams and individual form isn't important. England fans, manager, players should all view the team as underdogs and they should play as such. Pure hoofball stle. Too much hubris. The media will latch on to some solution like making kids play 7v7 and copy some aspect of another more successful nation and nothing will change. Its all in their head. Way too much pressure on the players

I agree, of course. That England are still mentioned alongside teams like France, Germany, Italy etc is laughable given the record of recent years but still, loving Iceland

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

African AIDS cum posted:

It's absolutely in their heads. We might not have talent like Germany or France, but there's still some fairly decent players there. They're certainly not bad enough to understand their inability to complete 5 yard passes last night. The way the game went in the 5 minutes following Iceland's second goal it was immediately obvious England were never going to equalise, they just collapsed mentally.

I don't know how you fix that though. In honesty expectations for the team from the press/public were low as hell for this tournament, but they still managed to be so utterly abject they didn't live up to them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

England is basically at the level of Portugal and Croatia. Could pull out a win against a top team but will sooner choke and collapse

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Seriously why didn't he take drinkwater

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Trying to shoehorn Rooney and two other strikers in the side was always going to gently caress the team up.

Whoever manages next needs put together a team rather than a collection of players.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ninpo posted:

I agree, of course. That England are still mentioned alongside teams like France, Germany, Italy etc is laughable given the record of recent years but still, loving Iceland

I remember the England team in 04 (which was maybe the best team in the tournament looking back) was leading France late on. Carragher? Fucks up and they concede and you can just tell another goal was coming. Just way too much pressure on the players, very stifling. Beckham was one of the few who played better in games like this. Maybe these dudes need to play abroad so they arent coddled as much.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I like that the lessons from the first three games were to do the same poo poo again only this time it will work.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Any of you English goons start chowing down on your own fingers like your team's heroic idol?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/10327052/alan-shearer-wants-to-succeed-roy-hodgson-as-england-boss

:stare:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Eileen Drewery please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ninpo posted:

Holland couldn't. Austria couldn't. Portugal couldn't.

Iceland are good and this "worst England result of all time" talk is pretty insulting.

• Locked thread