Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

An easy test to see if it's the port or if it's software would be to see if it happens using Qi charging while turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'll check the quick charge thing first, and then probably look for repair if it's not that to make sure the port's okay. Thanks.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So I went ahead and ordered a Nextbit Robin. All signs point to an extremely mediocre phone, but drat it's just so nice looking that I at least need to try. It seems to run better / smoother than a Nexus 5X which isthe other phone I was considering. Dropping to $300 + free world wide shipping was what pushed me over the edge.

No matter what happens: It can't be worse than my Nexus 6, that's falling apart and is getting about 2h of SOT these days.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
so yesterday my battery decided to start draining really fast and it hasn't stopped. i've never seen the messaging app even show up on my battery usage page, and now it's using most of my battery with screen on and off. chrome's doing the same thing and i haven't used it in the past few days. had to disable most of my apps so that i could keep it charging quicker than its draining. anything i can really do before i just factory reset?

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 27, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

so yesterday my battery decided to start draining really fast and it hasn't stopped. i've never seen the messaging app even show up on my battery usage page, and now it's using most of my battery with screen on and off. chrome's doing the same thing and i haven't used it in the past few days. had to disable most of my apps so that i could keep it charging quicker than its draining. anything i can really do before i just factory reset?

Reboot it

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
rebooting didn't really do anything, i deleted all my texts too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

AlexF posted:

So I went ahead and ordered a Nextbit Robin. All signs point to an extremely mediocre phone, but drat it's just so nice looking that I at least need to try. It seems to run better / smoother than a Nexus 5X which isthe other phone I was considering. Dropping to $300 + free world wide shipping was what pushed me over the edge.

No matter what happens: It can't be worse than my Nexus 6, that's falling apart and is getting about 2h of SOT these days.

In order:
Lol

What did you do to your nexus 6 to break it that badly? Only problem I have is terrible slowdown when anything tries to use the camera.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My SD card becomes unreadable after a certain amount of time until I reboot my phone. I downloaded some SD app and it said the card is legit and not a fake. Is it on the way out, or could this be something else?

Moto X Pure, card is a couple months old.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

RZA Encryption posted:

In order:
Lol

What did you do to your nexus 6 to break it that badly? Only problem I have is terrible slowdown when anything tries to use the camera.

There have been a few drops, so I'm not really blaming anyone else.

That said, the Nexus lag is real. This phone should fly but from day one it's been slow and not as responsive as it should be. I read the same about the 5x and 6p, Anandtech sums up the problem pretty, well in the 5x review. Good devices for sure but not as smooth as Android can be at the moment.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Tsyni posted:

My SD card becomes unreadable after a certain amount of time until I reboot my phone. I downloaded some SD app and it said the card is legit and not a fake. Is it on the way out, or could this be something else?

Moto X Pure, card is a couple months old.

Exactly same thing was happening to me a couple months ago, then i got my MXP lost, then I bought another one. Here I am hoping the problem will not come back.

It happened to me with a Sandisk card btw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

On my Nexus 5 before it broke, when I was playing music in Google play music with the phone locked and the screen off, I could just hit the hold button and it would directly open up play music without having to unlock/swipe. I can't find that feature on my new moto g. Anyone know if it's possible on the moto g?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

AlexF posted:

There have been a few drops, so I'm not really blaming anyone else.

That said, the Nexus lag is real. This phone should fly but from day one it's been slow and not as responsive as it should be. I read the same about the 5x and 6p, Anandtech sums up the problem pretty, well in the 5x review. Good devices for sure but not as smooth as Android can be at the moment.

I've noticed this as well. My first 6p was so fast, then it would slow down, randomly (sometimes the keyboard, sometimes actions, sometimes the camera). It actually broke (unrelated) and they shipped me a new one. The new one (wasn't a refurb) battery life started being really poor after a month. It went from 4-4.5hr screen on time to 2-2.5. Anyone else experience this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, apparently, even though the Moto Z isn't cross carrier compatible, the G4 and G4 Plus ARE. They'll work on any US carrier.

I am still down on Moto updates right now, but those two phones seem pretty compelling for the pricepoints (especially the G4 Plus.)

$249 for a 1080p phone with a fingerprint reader, 2gb RAM, and laser autofocus ain't bad.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

So, apparently, even though the Moto Z isn't cross carrier compatible, the G4 and G4 Plus ARE. They'll work on any US carrier.

I am still down on Moto updates right now, but those two phones seem pretty compelling for the pricepoints (especially the G4 Plus.)

$249 for a 1080p phone with a fingerprint reader, 2gb RAM, and laser autofocus ain't bad.

$300 to get 4GB of RAM and 64GB onboard storage. I wonder how badly they will delay updates, because this is mighty tempting to me.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

bull3964 posted:

The reviews say the camera quality difference between the G4 and G4 Plus seem minimal, so I guess I'm debating to pay an extra $50 for a fingerprint reader.

Also B&H and Best Buy both have $50 dollar gift cards for preorder.

And Moto X Pure (2015) is $230...

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 29, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Allaniis posted:

The reviews say the camera quality difference between the G4 and G4 Plus seem minimal, so I guess I'm debating to pay an extra $50 for a fingerprint reader.

Where are you seeing that Moto X Pure deal?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

I've noticed this as well. My first 6p was so fast, then it would slow down, randomly (sometimes the keyboard, sometimes actions, sometimes the camera). It actually broke (unrelated) and they shipped me a new one. The new one (wasn't a refurb) battery life started being really poor after a month. It went from 4-4.5hr screen on time to 2-2.5. Anyone else experience this?
The battery life on my 6P is pretty poo poo, I get the same 2-2.5 hours that you're describing and I really have no idea what is causing it. The battery graph shows nothing useful (like 50% of the battery use is just not shown) except that Play Services has a wakelock but that doesn't tell me which app is actually doing it.

I just accept this poo poo as part of Android now. Every phone I've owned since my Desire has had this problem, it comes and goes with various OS and Play Services and app updates and it's not like I'm running almost any of the same apps over that length of time but it still happens. Android is pretty poo poo, basically, but I still prefer everything about actually using it to iOS so whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Android is pretty poo poo, basically, but I still prefer everything about actually using it to iOS so whatever.

That should be the thread title.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Allaniis posted:

I pulled the trigger on the G4+ 64GB Best Buy preorder this morning. In related news, I will be selling a Droid Turbo soon!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Amazon is selling the G4 today for 75 dollars off if you're a Prime member and don't mind having ads on the lockscreen.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/29/deal-alert-moto-g4-16gb-124-99-32gb-154-99-amazon-prime-members-amazon-offers-ads/

I know to some people, lockscreen ads amount to blasphemy, but I've had a couple Kindle Fire tablets and didn't really give a poo poo about the ads.

Non-related, but in Anandtechs latest phone review (the Meizo Pro 5), in their display testing they included results for the Moto X Pure and it turns out it's a surprisingly awesome display; matching or besting phones costing twice as much in terms of color accuracy and brightness.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Tunga posted:

The battery life on my 6P is pretty poo poo, I get the same 2-2.5 hours that you're describing and I really have no idea what is causing it. The battery graph shows nothing useful (like 50% of the battery use is just not shown) except that Play Services has a wakelock but that doesn't tell me which app is actually doing it.

I just accept this poo poo as part of Android now. Every phone I've owned since my Desire has had this problem, it comes and goes with various OS and Play Services and app updates and it's not like I'm running almost any of the same apps over that length of time but it still happens. Android is pretty poo poo, basically, but I still prefer everything about actually using it to iOS so whatever.

Yea its happened to every phone I've had. I don't think I can break 2.5hr SoT. Its pretty abysmal and I don't use a lot of apps. The common social media (fb, insta, snapchat), chat apps (whatsapp, hangouts, signal), google apps, and a few random ones. If this is happening to so many people, why the gently caress don't the fix it or at least give better tools to see what apps are raping us?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

Amazon is selling the G4 today for 75 dollars off if you're a Prime member and don't mind having ads on the lockscreen.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/29/deal-alert-moto-g4-16gb-124-99-32gb-154-99-amazon-prime-members-amazon-offers-ads/

I know to some people, lockscreen ads amount to blasphemy, but I've had a couple Kindle Fire tablets and didn't really give a poo poo about the ads.

Non-related, but in Anandtechs latest phone review (the Meizo Pro 5), in their display testing they included results for the Moto X Pure and it turns out it's a surprisingly awesome display; matching or besting phones costing twice as much in terms of color accuracy and brightness.

Had no interest in the G4 but that's a good deal and her Moto G3 is lagging like crazy. Was going to factory reset it before I looked at anything else but that's a real good price.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

I had the Kindle Keyboard with ads and I got some pretty good deals from Amazon. I think I'll give the Moto G4 a shot, but part of me wonders if I'll get updates or not, such as Android N.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Allaniis posted:

I had the Kindle Keyboard with ads and I got some pretty good deals from Amazon. I think I'll give the Moto G4 a shot, but part of me wonders if I'll get updates or not, such as Android N.

It should get N. Certainly not Nexus fast, but I could see it beating a few carrier-branded phones.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Got my Nexus Live Case.

It's okay. It's a bit slippery. The NFC button is ridiculously hard to press, so after about a day, I just disabled it entirely. Also wound up submitting the image three times and talking to a customer service rep before the content filter let it through. Overall, though I like the way it turned out.

My previous RIngke Fusion case probably provides better protection, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Deleter posted:

Hey tech goons, I've been having a problem with my Galaxy S6 and was wondering if anyone could point dumb old me at a solution.

My phone's having issues charging. When I first plug it in, it'll be fine. After a while, however, there'll be a chime and a black screen will come up with a cross in the corner, like some kind of app window. It'll show for a second, and then disappear and the phone will no longer recognize being plugged in. This is kind of a pain in the rear end.

After some troubleshooting, I figured that my phone is getting hot as hell and some safety feature was kicking in to stop it exploding. But the phone charges when turned off, and I tried this morning when it was a bit cooler and the same happened again, so maybe some app is interfering? My port also appears to look "pushed in" at the bottom, but a connection is still being made so I'm not too worried about this (unless this is cause for alarm/repair).

Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.

In many modern phones, the battery takes up a huge amount of the space inside the phone and even minor damage which seems superficial can mean there is damage to the battery. Damage to the battery leads to major heat problems because :science: (ohms and amps and poo poo man) and the fact that your phone's butthole is caved in means there's a good chance whatever caved it in managed to bonk the battery too.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

maltesh posted:

Got my Nexus Live Case.

It's okay. It's a bit slippery. The NFC button is ridiculously hard to press, so after about a day, I just disabled it entirely. Also wound up submitting the image three times and talking to a customer service rep before the content filter let it through. Overall, though I like the way it turned out.

My previous RIngke Fusion case probably provides better protection, though.

Is the NFC button actually a button that clicks or something you just touch and hold for the action? I thought it was the latter.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

It should get N. Certainly not Nexus fast, but I could see it beating a few carrier-branded phones.
I worried that the Amazon muckery, such as ads and pre-installed stuff, will cause long delays on updates. I'm 50/50 on getting N within a reasonable timeframe, but I'm sure I'll never see O on this phone.

But, it's $125. B&H has it for $200 with a $50 gift card, but $50 dollar funny money for future use doesn't seem so great, especially since I can get a Nexus 5X 32GB for $250.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Is the NFC button actually a button that clicks or something you just touch and hold for the action? I thought it was the latter.

It requires a very firm push and hold that I find extremely difficult to do one-handed. I can make it happen two-handed, but if I'm using two hands, I might as well use that hand to open or toggle whatever it is I want opened or toggled.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Allaniis posted:

But, it's $125. B&H has it for $200 with a $50 gift card, but $50 dollar funny money for future use doesn't seem so great, especially since I can get a Nexus 5X 32GB for $250.

I saw best buy had the same deal going if a best buy gift card is any more useful to you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Android Nougat is the name for N.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My SO doesn't have a smartphone and that 32GB G4 Amazon deal is VERY tempting. It's a modern phone with solid features and few typical budget phone compromises. I'll think about it, since it seems to be still valid. I got time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Android Nougat is the name for N.

That's awful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I loving love nougat though

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I have rsa, safenet, and Symantec tokens installed on my phone. If I install elementalx custom kernel, will I have to reinstall these tokens?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

You're awful

Really can't complain about nougat when we've had ice cream sandwich and kit kat

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 30, 2016

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

5436 posted:

Yea its happened to every phone I've had. I don't think I can break 2.5hr SoT. Its pretty abysmal and I don't use a lot of apps. The common social media (fb, insta, snapchat), chat apps (whatsapp, hangouts, signal), google apps, and a few random ones. If this is happening to so many people, why the gently caress don't the fix it or at least give better tools to see what apps are raping us?

I had similar battery life issues, and had to charge at work to make through the day.

I installed N preview 3 when they announced it was stable enough for daily driver phones and I'm constantly surprised at how much better my battery is. I no longer need to charge at work, and it typically lasts until bed time.

The only downside is that HBO Go didn't work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The last time I had nougat I violently threw it all up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Nougat is delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SwissCM posted:

The last time I had nougat I violently threw it all up.

Don't loving eat your phone then! I can't believe this needs to be stated.

Goons...