Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Regarding surge, I'll definitely wait for reviews on this. Already been burned by Lords of the fallen. Nioh looks like it's going to be a better clone than Lords. Thought it was a little too hard and items drop with random attributes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nioh is getting a LOT of changes based on the alpha, and they're doing a new demo too so that'll be interesting. It was way too hard for me too and I've slogged through defiled chalice dungeons for my BB platinum.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

Nioh is getting a LOT of changes based on the alpha, and they're doing a new demo too so that'll be interesting. It was way too hard for me too and I've slogged through defiled chalice dungeons for my BB platinum.

I think what's going to happen is difficulty will get some adjustments for sure. There was no reason to be so squishy in that game. I've platinumed all dark souls games and bloodborne and I only made it to the boss in the demo.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I'm a Soulsborne veteran and found the Ni-Oh demo excessively difficult, there was no opportunity to practice the timing of moves/parrying because you went down in 1 or 2 hits. It could have done with a gentler learning curve.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sakurazuka posted:

I will be interested to check out a tweaked demo. But yeah, for the difficulty, Nioh's combat didn't feel as tight as it would need to be for that kind of difficulty curve. So I felt a little too squishy. This from a guy who plays all the Soulsborne games by leveling my damage stat to the soft cap before I level anything else. So I don't mind being glass-cannon-y, but Nioh felt a little extreme in that regard.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I wish FROM had put BB on PC because I cant justify dropping 400$ on a console anymore :sigh:. It'd be nice to switch i up during this stupid rin slog FROM decided to put in.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Azuth0667 posted:

I wish FROM had put BB on PC because I cant justify dropping 400$ on a console anymore :sigh:. It'd be nice to switch i up during this stupid rin slog FROM decided to put in.

That was never going to happen because the IP is owned by Sony.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HaB posted:

I will be interested to check out a tweaked demo. But yeah, for the difficulty, Nioh's combat didn't feel as tight as it would need to be for that kind of difficulty curve. So I felt a little too squishy. This from a guy who plays all the Soulsborne games by leveling my damage stat to the soft cap before I level anything else. So I don't mind being glass-cannon-y, but Nioh felt a little extreme in that regard.

My main gripe was the player''s weapon hitboxes.
They are too precise.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAW39GXFqQ

Don't get too excited, that's the Lords of the Fallen devs

I feel like a bunch of games now are trying soooooo hard to copy dark souls that they just end up being terribly mediocre games. Nioh, Lotf, the surge, for honor??? They're all trying to be dark souls too much in my mind.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guillermus posted:

Just got Yhorm's to +5 but I'll get the Greataxe to +10 too because they're drat cool. My 8 slab usage list for this char is the following:

-Yhorm's Great Machete
-Spiked Mace
-Lucerne
-Gundyr's Halberd
-Greataxe
-Butcher's Knife
-Morning Star
-Pickaxe

That should cover all areas and hell, the morning star already surprised me building bleed with carthus rouge against the dancer, it isn't a carthus curved sword but it deals strike damage and deals decent damage against armored targets while slash weapons suck against them.

Those are some good choices right there

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
For Honour isn't trying to be Dark Souls at all though - it's literally just an Ubisoft take on "how can me make Mount and Blade Combat simpler without losing too much of the depth" (it's making it more Batman-combat-like). Hell before E3, the assumption was that it was a pure PvP game - the fact they even have a campaign (which seems to consist entirely of dudes-that-die-in-one-hit -> fake PvP guy -> dudes that die in one hit -> fake PvP guy) came as a huge surprise.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

I feel like a bunch of games now are trying soooooo hard to copy dark souls that they just end up being terribly mediocre games. Nioh, Lotf, the surge, for honor??? They're all trying to be dark souls too much in my mind.

I dunno i really like souls games, so this is a good thing in my mind

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

I'm having trouble summoning or being summoned on Xbox One. I can see summon signs, place my own, and initiate summons and get messages that I'm being summoned, but they fail. Changed my NAT from strict to open, but no dice. Any ideas?

Ahura
Apr 23, 2007
I had that problem before and hard resetting fixed it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Azuth0667 posted:

No, you see, there are lots of other great PS4 exclusives for you to enjoy, such as

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DatonKallandor posted:

For Honour isn't trying to be Dark Souls at all though - it's literally just an Ubisoft take on "how can me make Mount and Blade Combat simpler without losing too much of the depth" (it's making it more Batman-combat-like). Hell before E3, the assumption was that it was a pure PvP game - the fact they even have a campaign (which seems to consist entirely of dudes-that-die-in-one-hit -> fake PvP guy -> dudes that die in one hit -> fake PvP guy) came as a huge surprise.

The pre-E3 gameplay looked quite a bit better. Also you can fuckin mordhau. which is amazing.

More games need to be 'clunky'. Weight and momentum are good things to have in a movement system.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 28, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

What butons does a man have to smash to get less / no damage from a grab ? ? I've never seen it work and im punishing the triggers like mad

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Part of me hopes that with the PS4 Neo, From will release a patch that allows the game to be played at 60 FPS. I know it will never happen, but it'd be really nice.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Part of me hopes that with the PS4 Neo, From will release a patch that allows the game to be played at 60 FPS. I know it will never happen, but it'd be really nice.

More likely that there would be some kinda SOTFS-esque re-release that includes the DLC and scrambles enemy placement.

Which would be great, really.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Humans Among Us posted:

What butons does a man have to smash to get less / no damage from a grab ? ? I've never seen it work and im punishing the triggers like mad

There's very few grabs you can escape. If you hit the shoulder buttons and you see your character wiggle, it's a tech-able grab (I can only think of the Stray Demon grab being tech-able). Being able to escape by mashing was always a bug in the other games, and I'm kind of glad they finally fixed it. Putting a tiny number of grabs you can still escape in there was a dick move though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

FanaticalMilk posted:

100% agreed. Something like this would go a long way to making Neo something I would have to purchase.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DatonKallandor posted:

There's very few grabs you can escape. If you hit the shoulder buttons and you see your character wiggle, it's a tech-able grab (I can only think of the Stray Demon grab being tech-able). Being able to escape by mashing was always a bug in the other games, and I'm kind of glad they finally fixed it. Putting a tiny number of grabs you can still escape in there was a dick move though.

Having Stray Demon's grab almost always be instant death because he throws you off the bridge is also kind of a dick move, so at least you can tech out of that one.

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
palms sweaty..
moms spaghetti...
yhorms machete..

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

turtlecrunch posted:

No, you see, there are lots of other great PS4 exclusives for you to enjoy, such as
I keep thinking "man Bloodborne AND Demon's Souls are Sony-only...", but you cannot play DeS on PS4, right?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Yardbomb posted:

A few reasons in 3.

Mystical already mentioned one of the worst, which is have fun constantly being outnumbered every single time. Another is that there's a very clear (In general) best type of weapon that everyone knows by this point and uses nonstop, like without exaggeration 9/10 of my fights any time I felt like trying were either straight swords (Particularly dark sword, astora straight or anri's) or it was the estoc. If it's not that, another that sapped all the fun is hornet ring instakills if you ever get parried a single time, which when the caestus still had goofy parry capability, was just a matter of time in a lot of fights. A good couple of the PvP covenants have been and still are completely non-functional for a lot of people. Host has the health advantage and double your estus, if he has a dedicated buddy he can keep summoning then they have essentially infinite estus, plus sipping is incredibly fast and the health regain is an instant zoom up again. Instakill warden twinblade poo poo for a while and maybe still not sure on that one. Probably some other things not immediately coming to mind.

Like as much as I can complain I still enjoyed a good bit of 3, but boy has the PvP just been miserable.

I'm playing on PC. On a new character I stopped levelling at 25 and am doing the wolf covenant fights. I'm using the dark axe you get in the first mimic room in the first area, at level 2. (actually no, I switched to a raw level 2 axe, my bad), two handed.

I am beating most people. I don't think I'm that good, but I have all the estus shards/bone fragments available within the range I've been (so 9 sips at +2, 4 sips when invading). One good thing is that at that level range, the wolf covenant gets constant invades non stop, and there are also darkwraiths and co in the forest, all waiting to give you a helping hand. Sometimes I just get totally owned though! At that level there isn't anyone going full-cheese with any weapon type.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
yeah i have a level/upgrade locked invader char which i'm having a blast on. was SL40/+4, now i'm at 60/+6. even when i get into a situation where i'm badly outnumbered, i can often take out a bluecop for a forked tongue at the very least.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

I keep thinking "man Bloodborne AND Demon's Souls are Sony-only...", but you cannot play DeS on PS4, right?
Correct. PS3 used the Cell architecture, which is sufficiently weird and different that forward compatiblity with the PS4 (which uses x86 architecture) is impossible. Hell, I believe that the only way that PS2 -> PS3 compatibility was possible was that early models of the latter had actual PS2 chips installed on board. The effect was that you weren't buying a PS3 with backwards compatibility to the PS2, so much as two distinct consoles in one case. (In general, differences in computer architecture comprise one of the issues with porting games. At least things should be easier for the current generation, since both the PS4 and Xbox One use x86 which is also found in PCs.)

And no, Sony isn't going to put a mini-PS3 on board their PS4s; the Cell architecture was expensive enough to make that each new PS3 was sold at a loss of several hundred dollars.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's a shame Microsoft hosed up so tremendously this generation that Sony could simply go "we're not an Xbone!" and instantly win everyone over, so there was nobody left to push them on their PS3 compatibility promises.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

You can play it on PS4 with the PS Now function and that's probably the best your gonna get given how different the systems' architectures are.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Humans Among Us posted:

I dunno i really like souls games, so this is a good thing in my mind

Eventually someone is going to make a better Souls game than From and it's going to own.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
FROM just need to hire the guy making Spell Fighter and make a first person/VR Souls style game with a new story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kjFcwYB5g

Then disable sword wiggling on every weapon apart from rapiers because it's basically the R1 poke spam.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

The last of us remastered, uncharted collection, ratchet and clank, journey, off the top of my head. A lot of them are currently remastered versions of PS3 games but if you never had a PS3 then they are still well worth playing. There are also non-PC games like destiny if you don't have an xbox either

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Digirat posted:

The last of us remastered, uncharted collection, ratchet and clank, journey, off the top of my head. A lot of them are currently remastered versions of PS3 games but if you never had a PS3 then they are still well worth playing. There are also non-PC games like destiny if you don't have an xbox either

I feel like you didn't really nail this rebuttal.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAW39GXFqQ

Don't get too excited, that's the Lords of the Fallen devs

Straight up looks like Lords of the Fallen under a completely different setting, right down to the admittedly good Player Character movement and less good enemy movement, getting an XP modifier according to how many things you kill before you go on a checkpoint, healthbar and potion/whatver/spell slot.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Faux Mulder posted:

I feel like you didn't really nail this rebuttal.

Uncharted 4, there you go :)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just watched that video and there's fuckin forklift suit dudes? Sign me up

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I desperately want someone to take the Dark Souls co-op and really make it work. Make a whole game focused around having about 3 other buddies or random online strangers and rolling on through some crazy D&D style poo poo. Give it a more upbeat aesthetic too.

I think a game that took the same basic formula and sat down to think really hard about how to make the co-op actually challenging for a group would absolutely phenomenal.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I desperately want someone to take the Dark Souls co-op and really make it work. Make a whole game focused around having about 3 other buddies or random online strangers and rolling on through some crazy D&D style poo poo. Give it a more upbeat aesthetic too.

I think a game that took the same basic formula and sat down to think really hard about how to make the co-op actually challenging for a group would absolutely phenomenal.

Someone is making that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yL88PejOh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1BVgjJTN_I

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 29, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Bleh, it's a roguelike. I want something that actually attempts to have level design.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice game. But it's not what I was envisioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

When I first played dark souls 1 it was the first console game I'd played in years so it was really hard for me and I almost gave up. the thing that stayed with me the most and that I wish I got from other games was that sense of going through something really difficult but knowing that other people were in there with you, which was communicated through things like the apparitions of other players near bonfires, bloodstains, the bell ringing when someone else made it (I thought that was really cool and encouraging when I was struggling with the gargoyles), etc.

then I found that experience didn't last very long partly due to the presence of PvP screwing with the amount of freedom the devs could have. PvP consistently prevents them from making a 100% asymmetrical challenge in a lot of ways, and so I really want to see a game kind of like you're suggesting where it is entirely you and some ephemeral friends fighting against impossible odds, where the rules for the players and enemies can be completely asymmetrical to let the devs balance the challenge perfectly. That sense of communal yet disjoint struggle was so cool but I haven't really felt it in any later souls game.