Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

who shakes hands with the left? the literal devil

good on you lil british skinhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lamo at the poles asking for a second referendum

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Why do people keep talking about the EU like it isn't doomed?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

Why do people keep talking about the EU like it isn't doomed?

b/c it's not altho it might change form in some way. EU is the best thing that has happened to post war europe. it's mostly right wing populists who dislike it enough not to think it's done loads more good than bad.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

b/c it's not altho it might change form in some way. EU is the best thing that has happened to post war europe. it's mostly right wing populists who dislike it enough not to think it's done loads more good than bad.

But is it financially solvent?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
tying a bunch of disparate economies to a single currency is dumb

eu is good idea but needs to dump the euro

also dont let turkey in

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

DOMDOM posted:

tying a bunch of disparate economies to a single currency is dumb

eu is good idea but needs to dump the euro

or go all the way with financial integration so crises like greece can be prevented. i don't think that's gonna happen though.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
europes current faults can be traced back to charles de gaulle rejecting the idea of a franco-british union during the second world war. The world couldve been a very different place if that had occured

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
source is the guardian:

quote:

In the four days since the referendum, 175,175 Londoners have signed a petition calling for London to become an independent city state.

This petition wasn’t started by a politician or pushed by any particular interest group.

It was an organic movement born out of Londoners desire to have more control over their city’s future.

Now, as much as I might like the idea of a London city state, I’m not seriously talking about independence today.

I am not planning to install border points on the M25!

But on behalf of all Londoners, I am demanding more autonomy for the capital - right now.

More autonomy in order to protect London’s economy from the uncertainty ahead.

More autonomy to protect the businesses from around the world who trade here.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
well i just declared myself independent too

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dyna Soar posted:

source is the guardian:

how would that even work, when so many people commute to work in London?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I know there are city-states around the world that work like that. How would it work for London?

I live in the midlands and my parents live south of London. Going home already involves enough hassle going through London, without it being a separate country.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Hammerite posted:

how would that even work, when so many people commute to work in London?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I know there are city-states around the world that work like that. How would it work for London?

I live in the midlands and my parents live south of London. Going home already involves enough hassle going through London, without it being a separate country.

this is completely hypothetical of course but there'd naturally be no border control. for example you can travel through the nordic states without going through a single border control or customs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I wish everyone had been this angry and animated when the Tories were elected. They really do suck.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
All you fuckers have got my country completely wrong. Let me explain: Britain has a long and proud tradition of ruining things for the continentals when it looks like they're cooperating a little too well for our liking.

There is nothing we like better than interfering with those uppity mainlanders, and we've done it countless times in history. We had to approach the EU a bit differently though since it was peacetime, so the entire nation agreed to play the long game. We became part of this EU, and at the precise opportune moment, when discontent was sufficiently high in the population, we struck.

The beauty is that this is no quick and easy death. Oh no. We are going to draw this out as long and painfully as possible, even feigning close referendum results so we can bumble about like the old man nation we are. Meanwhile right-wing groups are snowballing, threatening to fracture their precious Union, until they are nothing more than a bunch of squabbling children once more. Then we will resume our position of smug superiority across the channel. Patting ourselves on the back because of how enlightened we are, and flagellating over the 'special relationship' we have with our nation's progeny. :agesilaus:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

All you fuckers have got my country completely wrong. Let me explain: Britain has a long and proud tradition of ruining things for the continentals when it looks like they're cooperating a little too well for our liking.

There is nothing we like better than interfering with those uppity mainlanders, and we've done it countless times in history. We had to approach the EU a bit differently though since it was peacetime, so the entire nation agreed to play the long game. We became part of this EU, and at the precise opportune moment, when discontent was sufficiently high in the population, we struck.

The beauty is that this is no quick and easy death. Oh no. We are going to draw this out as long and painfully as possible, even feigning close referendum results so we can bumble about like the old man nation we are. Meanwhile right-wing groups are snowballing, threatening to fracture their precious Union, until they are nothing more than a bunch of squabbling children once more. Then we will resume our position of smug superiority across the channel, patting ourselves on the back because of how enlightened we are, and flagellating over the 'special relationship' we have with our nation's progeny. :agesilaus:

all this smugness based on past glory. you're like a washed up rock star forced to perform for beer at the local pub yet still thinks he's the greatest thing in the world.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like the general idea of the UK

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

all this smugness based on past glory. you're like a washed up rock star forced to perform for beer at the local pub yet still thinks he's the greatest thing in the world.

:thejoke:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

your joke was very much based on reality. the english are pretty much the smuggest people in the world.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
maybe you guys could sell some land to the russian oligarchs? like say, london?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Jokes often have a grain (or an entire beaches worth) of truth to them.

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick. Brits, particularly the media and politicians, love to gush at the thought that America treats us with a special reverence and respect it reserves only for us. Looking at it from your side though must be a bit different because in school you're taught about how you told us to gently caress off back across the Atlantic (conspicuously absent in our curriculum). You must think it's so adorable that we are perpetually in a state of 'Senpai loves me the most'.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Britain is americas bottom bitch

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Ocrassus posted:

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick. Brits, particularly the media and politicians, love to gush at the thought that America treats us with a special reverence and respect it reserves only for us. Looking at it from your side though must be a bit different because in school you're taught about how you told us to gently caress off back across the Atlantic (conspicuously absent in our curriculum). You must think it's so adorable that we are perpetually in a state of 'Senpai loves me the most'.

I mean you're all a lot cooler than you were a week ago.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

Uh mate we hate America.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A Magical Lamp posted:

Uh mate we hate America.

nah you hate everyone, you smug fuckers. yet you grovel at the americans feet

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

nah you hate everyone, you smug fuckers. yet you grovel at the americans feet

Look if you give us money and stabilise our economy we'll tell the EU we're your BFF.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

A Magical Lamp posted:

Uh mate we hate America.

No. We hate 'Americanisms', cultural artifacts a that we feel taint our 'right way' of doing things. But you are delusional if you can't see that Britain gushes over America far more than the likes of Germany or France. We want and believe we get special diplomatic treatment over and above other nations of comparable scale.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 28, 2016

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ocrassus posted:

We might be smug about the whole American Revolution thing perpetually but in all actuality everyone I know and myself in general feel like when the chips are down the US and the UK are "like that" *does finger twisting motion*

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

No. We hate 'Americanisms', cultural artifacts a that we feel taint our 'right way' of doing things. But you are delusional if you can't see that Britain gushes over America far more than the likes of Germany or France.

Fair enough.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
insert picture of uncle sam holding a little ventriloquist prince charles doll

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ocrassus posted:

Most of us realize that our history books and classes are indoctrination at best when it comes to poo poo like that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ocrassus posted:

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick.

I think at this point most Americans do feel somewhat close to the British as fellow English speakers but the same applies to Canadians, Aussies, and Kiwis.

There's probably more of a "special relationship" with Ireland these days in that there is a tendency for any white American with a few drops of Irish ancestry to refer to themselves as "Irish". There are more Americans of English ancestry than Irish but that same kind of pride doesn't seem to manifest at all.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I want to hear more from Davey Swimmer. That was my favourite part of all of this.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He played Ross on Friends.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Earwicker posted:

There's probably more of a "special relationship" with Ireland these days in that there is a tendency for any white American with a few drops of Irish ancestry to refer to themselves as "Irish". There are more Americans of English ancestry than Irish but that same kind of pride doesn't seem to manifest at all.

From what I read many colonists in the 18th c were culturally british, which is why the rally cry was no taxation without representation and not death to the foreign overlord. This identity became the default 'american' one, even though I think most americans are actually german descended. Celtic pride will never die though, its remained in spite of being pushed to the most westerly parts of europe.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
New EU-standard USB sticks now come with an extra 1GB free space.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why are people acting like the petition for a re-referendum carries some great weight

millions of people did vote for Remain so it's not saying much if those same people sign a petition in favor of Remain

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bitter Mushroom posted:

From what I read many colonists in the 18th c were culturally british, which is why the rally cry was no taxation without representation and not death to the foreign overlord. This identity became the default 'american' one, even though I think most americans are actually german descended. Celtic pride will never die though, its remained in spite of being pushed to the most westerly parts of europe.

German descended? What no. No.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Literally have never seen a German flag waving in America, Irish flags are everywhere though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Prorat posted:

Literally have never seen a German flag waving in America, Irish flags are everywhere though.

There are a poo poo load of Americans of German descent but they stopped publicly expressing pride in their ancestry during WW1 and even more so during WW2. there was a huge propaganda push against "German-Americans" in those days and so those communities largely changed their identities to be just "Americans", though you can still find little pockets here and there

what is now the East Village in NYC used to be an entirely German neighborhood for example and if you look at some of the buildings you can see the influence

also a lot of the Germans came here even earlier before there was a modern country called "Germany" and thus didn't really have the same identity exactly

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There's loads of racism erupting all over the place now, like racist attacks. It makes me so sad and angry. Its such a loving shitshow.

• Locked thread