Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I stick to my guns. My manager is great and always has my back. The PM is a cool guy too, so it's all good. I'm 100% onboard to hello my coworkers male money but I'm was too busy to help someone that won't even meet me halfway and treat me like a human being.

It's probably not a good idea to "hello your coworker's male money". It never ends well. Not to say you cant Hello some Male Money outside of work though!:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Lightning Jim posted:

RAID failures are ALWAYS fun! Check those controller logs for punctures! (as I see it's a MegaRAID)... :smith:

I may be lucky, I was able to set one of the drives back to online after a powercycle of the storage and server. And I suspect it's not the drives, it seems to be the controller acting up, but will have to ask someone more experienced with storage systems to have a look. Normally I don't deal with this kind of hardware (Storage, Servers), I am just the on-call person this weekend.

quote:

Even if this is not the case (and I hope it's something that simple), something I've learned from supporting other sysadmins: never miss the hard drive firmware updates if they're available. Sure, you can probably wait for a scheduled outage since it's proactive updates but make sure to at least be aware of the releases. I've seen a RAID failure caused by a firmware bug that was long since fixed but drive firmware was the only thing not getting updated. Fortunately I was able to fix the RAID stability and have no data loss in my most recent case.

That is good information, I will make sure to pass it on!

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
:classiclol: Hey, can I ask a quick question?
:downs: Sure, shoot!
:classiclol: I have a customer that wants to do stock managment, do you have any suggestions for software they can use?
:downs: Um, no ... Not without some more information.
:classiclol: What, why? They just want to do stock managment.
:downs: Okay, I'll give you an example. Can you recommend a good car? See how it's hard to answer that question without knowing the requirements?
:classiclol: Well, they want to use barcode scanning. Just like we do.
:downs: Do they already have an ERP? How big is the firm? What do they do?
:classiclol: I've found this one firm that does stock software near them. Do you know them, perhaps?
:downs: No, I don't. I don't know anything about stock software suppliers, tbh.
:classiclol: Oh, okay ... So, who would you recommend, then.

:bang:

Guy means well, he's only trying to help his customer but really ...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've recently switched jobs and 2/3 of the other devs don't hide the fact that they're on FB, Discord, twitter etc all day. At least one of them spends a huge portion of time on both reddit and imgur.

It's not a crappy job, it's quite the opposite. Interesting tasks, a super nice boss and good work environment. They just seem to not give a poo poo for a chunk of the day. I guess they've never had bad jobs and can't appreciate how lucky they are.

Honestly, if I get promoted over them and they start to whinge I'll be happy to hear it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

well why not posted:

I've recently switched jobs and 2/3 of the other devs don't hide the fact that they're on FB, Discord, twitter etc all day. At least one of them spends a huge portion of time on both reddit and imgur.

It's not a crappy job, it's quite the opposite. Interesting tasks, a super nice boss and good work environment. They just seem to not give a poo poo for a chunk of the day. I guess they've never had bad jobs and can't appreciate how lucky they are.

Honestly, if I get promoted over them and they start to whinge I'll be happy to hear it.

How dare they not program 100% of the time!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ratbert90 posted:

I think the complaint is that it's not even close to 50, and the other time is nothing remotely productive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Why would you buy your developers new, fast computers? They'll just play games on them all day!" <-- heard that before

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I think the complaint is that it's not even close to 50, and the other time is nothing remotely productive.

If their project based and getting their tasks done on time, I would let them browse the internet most of the time as well. :colbert:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

If their project based and getting their tasks done on time, I would let them browse the internet most of the time as well. :colbert:

I'd tighten up the project schedules...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I'd tighten up the project schedules...

And that's indeed something you could do; but until that happens I wouldn't give the developers poo poo. :unsmith:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Free time is good, it means you budgeted some flexibility and you didn't need it. It sounds like the estimate what you need then double it but their initial estimate is already too loose. That is way too much free time for a project based position unless it's slow and there's a lack of projects.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

pixaal posted:

Free time is good, it means you budgeted some flexibility and you didn't need it. It sounds like the estimate what you need then double it but their initial estimate is already too loose. That is way too much free time for a project based position unless it's slow and there's a lack of projects.

It really depends on what kind of development they do. If they are internal, then they could probably cut a position or two, unless they are there for legacy knowledge reasons. If they are there for external work and they can fund down time at the tail of each project, more power to them.

At the same time, if they are meeting their schedules while playing around on Facebook all day, they could be either really good or poorly managed.

There are simply too many unknowns in the situation to have a single facet of their work life (e.g. free time) to gauge if this is working well.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

well why not posted:

This is a very toxic attitude and there's probably a good reason other than ":hurr: lazy developers" that they're doing nothing. As someone that's been in this exact position, the 3 most likely causes are:

1. You got your tasks done, you're waiting on someone else to finish their tasks, and it would take longer for you to go interrupt them and offer to help, and either you can't speed it up by helping or you can, but there's time taken to tell you what they're doing/coordinate with you.
2. You're waiting on an external team to finish an important task (e.g. network team to open some ports that are absolutely critical to your application).
3. You're waiting on an extremely time-consuming external task, e.g. full build and test pass against your commit, and you don't want to start it and then take the cognitive context switching hit to start work on something else until you see if you need to fix a bug that the tests caught.

That said, there can be a lot of other reasons that someone browses facebook or whatever during the working day, but the vast majority of the times that I personally end up on SomethingAwful or Imgur or whatever at work are because of those 3 causes above. In an ideal world, builds would be super fast and tests would all be parallelized, planning would have taken care of external requests to teams that had time to work on your requests, and everyone would be assigned tasks that they could complete and not block other people, but in the real world all of these things break down all the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

Nothing wrong with living high on the hog if everyone's happy, including the customer.

You don't have a problem unless the guys can't buckle down when they need to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Replied to AS/400 guy on a trouble ticket someone put in about parts being inactivated that shouldn't have been.

Replied with "Hey doofus can you send Joe a list of all the parts you deactivated so he can look through it?"

Doofus replies with "I put a file in your folder"

This guy uses pronouns so much it loving annoys me.

Who are you talking to? Are you replying to my request or are you replying to the guy who started the ticket?

And 'your folder'? Which folder does that mean? Users\Bob? Share Documents\Bob? Users\Joe? Shared Documents\Joe?

And what's the loving folder called?

Why can't you just say "Joe, I put a file called "Inactive Parts.xls" in Shared Documents\Joe ?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... why oh why did I get another Brother MFC again?

The newer L series Brother MFCs for some reason do not come with the Scan To Email functionality installed on the printer by default.

You have to use some stupid "internet fax installation tool" to actually install a special firmware update that enables this feature. The manual just says you must update the firmware for this feature, however the normal firmware update procedure doesn't install the feature. You have to use the special firmware, which is not mentioned at all.

Bonus: The update utility requires Java. :bang:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Did you get that thing I sent ya?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Manslaughter posted:

Did you get that thing I sent ya?

*Persons sends E-mail*
5 Seconds later
"So about that E-mail I sent you-"
*Bing! New Message!*
"Are you seriously going to drive-by information dump on me?"
"yes" :wooper:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My boss is like that, he must have his email refresh set to a subsecond delay because in the time it takes me to register a ticket has arrived and begun reading the description, he'll randomly stuff my chat window full of suggestions on what to do about it.

He means well and is just trying to help, but if you're gonna recite to me how to fix problems that come in, why the hell are you paying me so much? :iiam:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

Replied to AS/400 guy on a trouble ticket someone put in about parts being inactivated that shouldn't have been.

Replied with "Hey doofus can you send Joe a list of all the parts you deactivated so he can look through it?"

This guy uses pronouns so much it loving annoys me.

Who are you talking to? Are you replying to my request or are you replying to the guy who started the ticket?

And 'your folder'? Which folder does that mean? Users\Bob? Share Documents\Bob? Users\Joe? Shared Documents\Joe?

And what's the loving folder called?

Why can't you just say "Joe, I put a file called "Inactive Parts.xls" in Shared Documents\Joe ?

He was too busy surfing Facebook and imgur to spend time providing details.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My boss has a pretty pronounced stutter. It's fine in person, or on a call, but I swear it causes him
To
Type one
Or two
Words
At a
Time
Over
Instant messenger.

I get like 20 notifications for one thought.
:argh:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I do that. I'm a terrible person

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I don't expect anyone to be pounding keyboard all day, but when I look across the room a few times a day and see the majority of time is spent on nerd poo poo or animated gifs, I feel like it's OK to be frustrated with them. Funny that this was a bit of an exposed nerve for sh/sc. Maybe you guys should get back to work, too?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

well why not posted:

I don't expect anyone to be pounding keyboard all day, but when I look across the room a few times a day and see the majority of time is spent on nerd poo poo or animated gifs, I feel like it's OK to be frustrated with them. Funny that this was a bit of an exposed nerve for sh/sc. Maybe you guys should get back to work, too?

Why the gently caress do you care? Are you their manager? Is it affecting your production? Are they not getting their work done?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Because work is a team job, I'm not the manager, but when we all rely on each other to finish work - and it's often late - I reserve the right to care about what others do.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddamnit, if only there was a digital version of a DO NOT TOUCH - WET PAINT sign.

Yesterday and today was spent installing, upgrading and migrating financial software and databases from one server to another. Everything gets completed and we get ready for users to start using it, then one of them pipes up "Oh I already submitted a number of payment plans this morning".

Oh cool so now the original and copied databases are now different, no way are we doing everything all over again so you'll just have to suck eggs and do it all again. I understand it's way too easy to mess things up if you leave something you are about to get rid of alive and accessible, but it was communicated to not use this software until I've given everyone the green light along with details.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

well why not posted:

Because work is a team job, I'm not the manager, but when we all rely on each other to finish work - and it's often late - I reserve the right to care about what others do.

I never want to work around you.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

well why not posted:

That would be a reason to be frustrated, but that's a management problem, not yours. If you feel your team is sandbagging themselves, bring it up to management and if they disagree, find somewhere else to work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

well why not posted:

God drat it why are you looking at nerd poo poo????

well why not posted:

Only took you three posts to tell us that the work was often late! Good job!
That's almost like a completely different scenario or something! Perhaps you should take this up with management then?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Super Slash posted:

Goddamnit, if only there was a digital version of a DO NOT TOUCH - WET PAINT sign.

Yesterday and today was spent installing, upgrading and migrating financial software and databases from one server to another. Everything gets completed and we get ready for users to start using it, then one of them pipes up "Oh I already submitted a number of payment plans this morning".

Oh cool so now the original and copied databases are now different, no way are we doing everything all over again so you'll just have to suck eggs and do it all again. I understand it's way too easy to mess things up if you leave something you are about to get rid of alive and accessible, but it was communicated to not use this software until I've given everyone the green light along with details.

Me: OK, I've set up a staging version of your new website here <link>. Please only add new content on that site because it will be replacing your current site entirely.
Client: But I've just added 12 news articles to the old website, you have to copy it all over!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
poo poo that is making me anxious -

Going live with the ticketing tool to replace remedy 7.0. loving finally. Somehow i'm the helpdesk lead and the primary admin for the new tool. At least it's SAAS so we can't gently caress it up.

poo poo that is pissing me off -

IT users are whining that they aren't getting enough training on the new tool and then not showing up to my trainings or working with me on a better time to hold them. They'll RSVP to the meeting and just not show. jfc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My company has scheduled "sensitivity training".

Kill me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sickening posted:

My company has scheduled "sensitivity training".

Kill me.

Just for you, or for everyone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tigntink posted:

poo poo that is making me anxious -

Going live with the ticketing tool to replace remedy 7.0. loving finally. Somehow i'm the helpdesk lead and the primary admin for the new tool. At least it's SAAS so we can't gently caress it up.

Bad news, all helpdesk tools are garbage. What seems like a breath of fresh air when migrating quickly turns into "oh gently caress" when using it for actual day to day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tigntink posted:

IT users are whining that they aren't getting enough training on the new tool and then not showing up to my trainings or working with me on a better time to hold them. They'll RSVP to the meeting and just not show. jfc.

There's a new process for *THING* that our Tier2/3 needs to follow. I created an incredibly detailed process document (with pictures and everything). All they needed to do was validate their access and then work some "mock issues" following my procedures. I made it clear that I'd make myself available for any issues or clarifications they needed, but that they needed to do it sooner rather than later so they were familiar with the process when it went live. That was well over a month ago.

Welp, it's about to go live and I'm going on vacation in two days and I'll be out until the 10th. I still haven't heard a peep except from a few saying the access stuff isn't working. Yeah, you're going to have to work with the team that manages that. I guarantee it's going to be full on chickens-with-their- heads-cut-off running around.

Good luck teams!

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
The new VP for my group had an all hand call yesterday. On the call they recognized people that did an amazing job, or something. One of them was for being a Project Manager Ninja, and another for being an IT Rockstar.

Then they said we will have monthly all hands calls.

I may just start drinking in the office.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not pissing me off: one of the owners said AS/400 guy hosed up too many times this year and is getting the minimum profit sharing bonus

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's still only June, that bodes well!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pixaal posted:

Just for you, or for everyone?

Everyone.

It was done by a lawyer and most of the time was spent telling us about how lawsuits against employers rarely win and would be too stressful for us. It also had some "if you are harassed, please report it" sprinkled in but it was pretty clear what the intent of the "training" was.

I assume we have lost too many employment lawsuits lately and we are trying to hedge on making those tougher in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My company hovers at around 50 employees. Over the last year and a half we've lost 24 people to resignations and terms. I'm told that's normal for this place.

EDIT: I was called to the CEO's office while I was writing this post. Apparently they hired an executive without telling me but they were still hashing out his compensation. In the few minutes I was in there working on the CEO's iPhone the executive asked for and was granted a $750 a month vehicle allowance. That number seems absurd to me.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 28, 2016