Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

!Klams posted:

There's loads of racism erupting all over the place now, like racist attacks. It makes me so sad and angry. Its such a loving shitshow.

It's honestly the remainders probably melting down and pretending to be racist (hint they really are) and acting like leafers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

!Klams posted:

There's loads of racism erupting all over the place now, like racist attacks. It makes me so sad and angry. Its such a loving shitshow.

it's overstated IMO

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Buca di Bepis posted:

why are people acting like the petition for a re-referendum carries some great weight

millions of people did vote for Remain so it's not saying much if those same people sign a petition in favor of Remain

drowning men clutching at straws

Lichy posted:

it's overstated IMO

thanks for your O

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
this referendum has made the left even more cry wolf-y and the right even more crazy it's just such a lovely sight

:britain:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ocrassus posted:

Jokes often have a grain (or an entire beaches worth) of truth to them.

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick. Brits, particularly the media and politicians, love to gush at the thought that America treats us with a special reverence and respect it reserves only for us. Looking at it from your side though must be a bit different because in school you're taught about how you told us to gently caress off back across the Atlantic (conspicuously absent in our curriculum). You must think it's so adorable that we are perpetually in a state of 'Senpai loves me the most'.

As long as you can keep providing American's with entertainment like Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, Graham Norton, Adele, and the Royal Family you'll be held with some regard. Most American's get a sense that England is a faded empire but have no understanding of chavs, council housing, etc. They know there's more to England than London and a bunch of old castles but you don't hear about it. To be honest, English press doesn't give a better impression either unless there's some human fuckup interest story in the Daily Mail.

The world was watching this EU referendum and asking "what the gently caress are you doing?" Now you've woken up from your tantrum and are asking yourselves, 'what the gently caress have we done?' Unless you're a red state right winger, it really, really looks dumb and that's coming from a country that knows how crazy the gun/transgender bathroom laws/8 years of George Bush are.

The best thing to do now is own it hard. Stick to the idea that the EU is an unfixable mess and that you're tired of bailing out irresponsible economies.

As for the Special Relationship, it won't change but it might not have the same importance. England is our gateway to Europe. It's that place in the old world where you can understand the language people are speaking (somewhat). The bedrock of our culture comes from the English. Most importantly, Americans see themselves as the saviors of Europe in two world wars and there's a lot of smug satisfaction in that. The US and England (and those other people) beat back the Nazis and the Commies.

If Scotland and N. Ireland leave then England's power wanes even further and the special relationship will turn to quaint relationship.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Automatic Slim posted:

As long as you can keep providing American's with entertainment like Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, Graham Norton, Adele, and the Royal Family you'll be held with some regard. Most American's get a sense that England is a faded empire but have no understanding of chavs, council housing, etc. They know there's more to England than London and a bunch of old castles but you don't hear about it. To be honest, English press doesn't give a better impression either unless there's some human fuckup interest story in the Daily Mail.

The world was watching this EU referendum and asking "what the gently caress are you doing?" Now you've woken up from your tantrum and are asking yourselves, 'what the gently caress have we done?' Unless you're a red state right winger, it really, really looks dumb and that's coming from a country that knows how crazy the gun/transgender bathroom laws/8 years of George Bush are.

The best thing to do now is own it hard. Stick to the idea that the EU is an unfixable mess and that you're tired of bailing out irresponsible economies.

As for the Special Relationship, it won't change but it might not have the same importance. England is our gateway to Europe. It's that place in the old world where you can understand the language people are speaking (somewhat). The bedrock of our culture comes from the English. Most importantly, Americans see themselves as the saviors of Europe in two world wars and there's a lot of smug satisfaction in that. The US and England (and those other people) beat back the Nazis and the Commies.

If Scotland and N. Ireland leave then England's power wanes even further and the special relationship will turn to quaint relationship.

chavs are the best IMO

it's like a slightly more pleasant version of my motherlands familiar gopnik

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lichy posted:

chavs are the best IMO

it's like a slightly more pleasant version of my motherlands familiar gopnik

True. At least they don't do that perpetual squatting thing.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Ocrassus posted:

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick.

We love you over here - don't be fooled by the jackasses in government positions.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Lichy posted:

it's overstated IMO
i still posted an I LOVE MY POLISH NEIGHBOURS message through my polish neighbours door for some feelgood vibes :unsmith:

even though these neighbours in particular are really loud and annoying and i actually hate them but whatever

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Jesus guys, if you want to lodge a protest vote, you are supposed to vote Lib Dems! Did no one read the memo?!

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Dicky B posted:

i still posted an I LOVE MY POLISH NEIGHBOURS message through my polish neighbours door for some feelgood vibes :unsmith:

even though these neighbours in particular are really loud and annoying and i actually hate them but whatever

wait so they are actually really lovely but you wrote them a love letter in case brexit hurt their feelings? lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Dicky B posted:

please stop your British is overwhelming me

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Earwicker posted:

I think at this point most Americans do feel somewhat close to the British as fellow English speakers but the same applies to Canadians, Aussies, and Kiwis.

There's probably more of a "special relationship" with Ireland these days in that there is a tendency for any white American with a few drops of Irish ancestry to refer to themselves as "Irish". There are more Americans of English ancestry than Irish but that same kind of pride doesn't seem to manifest at all.

You see it a lot with Italians too, but it probably has something to do with the fact that like 100 years ago the Irish and Italians were being lynched in the US and basically had to band together for protection, which means they kept their ethnic identities more so than someone from Britain, Germany or France who came over and was automatically "white".

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dicky B posted:

what a transparent and phony loser you are

e: this guy is identity politics all wrapped up in one post

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my neighbours are cunts but I will take their abuse because it's in their superior Eastern European culture

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
he said loud and annoying not that they siege his castle

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Did we even have a "special relationship" with Britain before this mess? It seems our view of Brits as Americans were just quaint, old, uppity dudes except with fancy attractive accents and lots of tea.

Of course right now England is generally seen as the Destroyer of Civilization so most of that silly goodwill is trashed

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

as long as you provide troops and cover for our international escapades, the special relationship will remain quite special.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Did we even have a "special relationship" with Britain before this mess? It seems our view of Brits as Americans were just quaint, old, uppity dudes except with fancy attractive accents and lots of tea.

Of course right now England is generally seen as the Destroyer of Civilization so most of that silly goodwill is trashed

The special relationship stopped as soon as that KENYAN Pres. Obama put Churchill's bust in storage.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Buca di Bepis posted:

why are people acting like the petition for a re-referendum carries some great weight

I don't think anyone is behaving as if it has some weight apart from worthless media hacks. If it does actually have to be debated, whoever ends up having to do that is going to be pretty pissed at the waste of time

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

lol :rolleyes:

it's not really like that. they'll know it was from me and will take it as a joke (we're on good terms). i was being hyperbolic when i said i hated them thought that was obvious enough

reallivedinosaur posted:

e: this guy is identity politics all wrapped up in one post
hate the game not the player :cool:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ranbo das posted:

You see it a lot with Italians too, but it probably has something to do with the fact that like 100 years ago the Irish and Italians were being lynched in the US and basically had to band together for protection, which means they kept their ethnic identities more so than someone from Britain, Germany or France who came over and was automatically "white".

true for the British but again the anti German propaganda during WW1 was also a major part of it. though it is interesting that there was not as much of an effect on Italian-Americans during WW2.

the Acadian culture (of French origin) was definitely persecuted (by the British) and still maintained their cultural identity after being forcibly removed from where they were living, resulting in the Cajun culture in Louisiana. but that was before the US even existed, and outside of that I don't think the French have ever been a major immigrant group in the US.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 28, 2016

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ocrassus posted:

Jokes often have a grain (or an entire beaches worth) of truth to them.

And you're right. Question for the Americans in the thread. What is your guys' opinions on the whole 'special relationship' schtick.

no no mum dont i told you i dont like u that way ~~

quote:

Brits, particularly the media and politicians, love to gush at the thought that America treats us with a special reverence and respect it reserves only for us. Looking at it from your side though must be a bit different because in school you're taught about how you told us to gently caress off back across the Atlantic (conspicuously absent in our curriculum). You must think it's so adorable that we are perpetually in a state of 'Senpai loves me the most'.

But more seriously, *AHEM* It really depends on an American's personal history, to be honest, and if you are a white American you probably got some of the Isles in you. Yes, in fact there are a ton of German-descended Americans, such as myself, whose great great great grandpappy came over back when Germany was like the Holy Roman Empire or possibly Prussia. I feel no attachment to Germany, especially since the whole two-war Hitler Holocaust biz. gently caress Germany, they seem creepy as hell. As for Britain... well, a lot of Irish-descended people dislike the UK, for varied and valid reasons, and my own personal experience with being only two generations removed from Scotland with relations still there means my knee jerk reaction, learned from my grandfather and vague extended family, is that the English are a bunch of twats, but if you mention the Blitz he had a great deal of admiration for Londoners, so it feels, TO ME, that there's a definite affinity for London and in a lot of generalized white American minds London=England.

And there are a lot--a LOT--of Scottish descended Americans who still like to claim their motherland and go to highland games every year and know their tartan pattern and love the idea of a free Scotland and gently caress those english perverts and that probably had to do with clearances and economic hardship and forced immigration and a general American distaste for being yoked to another country, but, well, WORLD WAR II, and hey, you guys aren't communists, that's cool, and Hitler never made landfall, so I guess that's something, let's go gently caress up some Nazis together again sometime, eh? *finishes off pint, never calls*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Magical Lamp posted:

Uh mate we hate America.

is that why you followed us into the middle east like the retarded stepchild you've become

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I'm from america and I say I don't loving care about any of this

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dyna Soar posted:

your joke was very much based on reality. the english are pretty much the smuggest people in the world.

The Dutch and Danish are in hot pursuit of that title.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Dutch and Danish are in hot pursuit of that title.

Pretty sure that's a Swedish title and very well deserved good for them thumbs up.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Brexit sounds like the name of one of Sarah Palin's kids.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

b/c it's not altho it might change form in some way. EU is the best thing that has happened to post war europe. it's mostly right wing populists who dislike it enough not to think it's done loads more good than bad.

I agree, only right-wing populists hate austerity

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .
As far as trade agreements go, is there any mileage in first agreeing trade deals with the Commonwealth of Nations and then approaching the EU for a mutual trade agreement with the Commonwealth, not with the UK in particular? Surely that's greatly beneficial to both sides, but obviously a massive task.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
italians kept their identity because we make too big sausages to be anglo, ayy

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope the new independent UK can resume its special relationship with :ussr:, like that time they licensed turbojet engines to the Soviets, which ended up being used in the Korean war vs. the US.

Have the Brits made any good engines lately? The F-35's droopy penis doesn't count.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I hope the new independent UK can resume its special relationship with :ussr:, like that time they licensed turbojet engines to the Soviets, which ended up being used in the Korean war vs. the US.

Have the Brits made any good engines lately? The F-35's droopy penis doesn't count.

New Labour and Tories both took collective shits on productive jobs like that. Only paper pushing and coin counting remains

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

is that why you followed us into the middle east like the retarded stepchild you've become

I think that's more because we were responsible for a lot of the middle east being hosed.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

netw1z posted:

As far as trade agreements go, is there any mileage in first agreeing trade deals with the Commonwealth of Nations and then approaching the EU for a mutual trade agreement with the Commonwealth, not with the UK in particular? Surely that's greatly beneficial to both sides, but obviously a massive task.

Yes of course that would be a massive coup, however it would require someone with actual political intelligence and a keen mind to pull off.

Yeah, hmmm, about that.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dicky B posted:

Liberal white guilt txt.
You would fit right in in America. Decry the racists since that's what you've been taught to do, but deep down hate the Browns and foreigners as much as everyone else.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
so what I'm getting here is that Brexit was a good thing if the EU can't get its poo poo together and emerge reformed and better in one way or another

...but the vote itself was mostly about the Leave organizers playing with xenophobia to motivate people to vote leave

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the eurozone is literally the reason nazis are rising again so good job idiot retard ECB

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Well, I don't think either ol' Mike, Boris or Nigel could actually do gently caress all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
die hard 2 was a prophetic movie because the plane full of brits crashed into the ground and explodes and nobody cares for the rest of the movie

this is a complex metaphor for britain upcoming implosion and irreverence

• Locked thread