Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna do it out of spite.

(Not really. Please don't probate me Waterhaul.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty sure you're in the clear there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I'm actually waiting for some idiot to report my post over her last name.

I'm kind of shocked you haven't gotten a new avatar/red text for posting her name yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I'm kind of shocked you haven't gotten a new avatar/red text for posting her name yet.

Someone did snap at me when I said I didn't care for her on AoS and they quickly realized their mistake so I assume it will happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Everyone needs to see this so I will continue to post it in every appropriate thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

So in a hilarious turn of events, the STUD has become aware that his video is being ridiculed pretty much universally and made a blatant physical threat towards me via Facebook Messenger. I passed it along to the police so we'll see if Bane can handle real world cops.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

So in a hilarious turn of events, the STUD has become aware that his video is being ridiculed pretty much universally and made a blatant physical threat towards me via Facebook Messenger. I passed it along to the police so we'll see if Bane can handle real world cops.

RIP Rhyno. If your body turns up with evidence your head was lightly squeezed pre-mortem, I will forward that video to the police so they are aware of the dangerous mind and terrible force they are reckoning with/laugh at.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

RIP Rhyno. If your body turns up with evidence your head was lightly squeezed pre-mortem, I will forward that video to the police so they are aware of the dangerous mind and terrible force they are reckoning with/laugh at.

When the office comes to take a statement I'm going to make them watch the video.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The police aren't going to help you, because they can't believe your bad opinions on Agents of Shield.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

The police aren't going to help you, because they can't believe your bad opinions on Agents of Shield.

Nah, they'll all high 5 me in rapid succession.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
By that you mean blast you with five rounds rapid and claim you went for their gun

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

So in a hilarious turn of events, the STUD has become aware that his video is being ridiculed pretty much universally and made a blatant physical threat towards me via Facebook Messenger.

So what you're saying is no one cared who he was until he put on the mask?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greatn posted:

His opinions of Agents of SHIELD are correct. His bad ones involve Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and that other one with the Atom or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

His opinions of Agents of SHIELD are correct. His bad ones involve Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and that other one with the Atom or whatever.

Hey, I know the shows are bad, I still like them though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Agents of SHIELD is good. Better than every cw show except maybe iZombie since I haven't seen it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agents of SHIELD still doesn't know how to plot, 3 seasons in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Agents of SHIELD still doesn't know how to plot, 3 seasons in.

Or how to cast a female lead with acting skills.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

They almost tricked me by having Lucy Lawless in the season 2 premiere, but then they killed her in that same episode so I figured it out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

Chloe Bennett acts about as well if not better than some of the people who have been on the CW shows. It doesn't help that her character has spent most of her time being boring as gently caress or whiney. But at least she's not being written/directed as a cyborg like May.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

They almost tricked me by having Lucy Lawless in the season 2 premiere, but then they killed her in that same episode so I figured it out.

I actually got excited for that and then they hosed us so hard.

ToastyPotato posted:

Chloe Bennett acts about as well if not better than some of the people who have been on the CW shows. It doesn't help that her character has spent most of her time being boring as gently caress or whiney. But at least she's not being written/directed as a cyborg like May.

She's awful. She's one of the most obvious "cast for her looks with no consideration to her acting ability" incidents I've ever seen. I mean yeah, she's loving gorgeous but every scene she is in is cringe-worthy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
She's well above average as far as acting chops go for comic book tv shows

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Not really. She's not even the best actress on her show.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

She isn't, because she is in a show with two veteran movie actors (that had several others in guest roles) and a long-running villain that turned out to be a really great actor. Doesn't change, that she's above average for comic book show leads. None of the CW superhero shows have their best actor in the lead role (iZombie does, but it isn't superhero), even Supergirl has Calista Flockhart being better than Melissa Benoist - although Benoist is the best of the bunch.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 28, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doesn't AoS have Adrienne Palicki? How is the show not just 42 minutes of Adrienne Palicki acting loving circles around everyone else and being awesome? Isn't she literally Mockingbird on that show or whatever? I mean come on that's fish in a barrel right there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rhyno posted:

No poo poo she's not as good an actress as Ming Na Wen. Now would you care to name all the comic book superhero actors better than her?

Toxxupation posted:

Doesn't AoS have Adrienne Palicki? How is the show not just 42 minutes of Adrienne Palicki acting loving circles around everyone else and being awesome? Isn't she literally Mockingbird on that show or whatever? I mean come on that's fish in a barrel right there.
They wrote her off the show in favor of a spinoff that they forgot to actually make

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cardboard Box A posted:

gently caress no,every single CW show has at least 2 women who are better than her, and that's not a compliment to those shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So what we can gather from this is that maybe nobody here actually knows how to judge acting ability.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
That and I have severe Stockholm Syndrome since I still really like this show; that or I have no taste

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is cool & good. Chloe Bennet is not the best actress alive by any means but she's had her moments on that show (and, while this has nothing to do with her on screen performance, seems to genuinely enjoy the role / the fans). Elizabeth Henstridge pulled off what I think is the best episode of the show overall almost completely solo. I think it's a drat shame that Marvel's Most Wanted isn't getting made because obviously Adrienne Palicki is incredible and Nick Blood's Lance rapidly became my favorite person on the show. (The scene where the team is trying to figure out a super complicated spy way to keep tabs on a guy and his plan is to pull a bandana over his face, walk up to him and knock him out made me laugh so hard I cried.)

I'm curious to see where the show goes next season. I think making Coulson Director, while a nice feel-good moment when it happened, was ultimately a mistake. He's never felt like he's "directing" anything larger than his team, and we established pretty early on that there are other elements that called themselves / believed themselves to be S.H.I.E.L.D. I feel like that never really paid off into anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I still think that the AoS season 2 finale is one of the best comic TV episodes. Chloe Bennet is great in it, the writing is actually surprising and not contrived, and Kyle Maclachlan steals every single scene he's in. There's actual stakes and lasting impact on the plot.

Plus, season 2 of AoS is the only show on network TV that isn't "an asian show" that has 3 asian leads.

The season 3 finale had some great character moments (Hive and Lincoln accepting their deaths in space), but didn't live up to season 2. It pulled the same thing Game of Thrones did with some of their seasons, had a really dramatic second to last episode with a comparitvely medicore finale that makes you way more excited for the next season instead of enjoying the actual episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hive was just season 1 flat as a board Ward again and I can't believe nobody in TV IV notices that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Hive was just season 1 flat as a board Ward again and I can't believe nobody in TV IV notices that.
I did! I did!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Chloe Bennett was fine as hip, young hacker chick who is the audience's POV into the inner workings of SHIELD, but I can't stand Jesus Inhuman who is the savior of everyone and barely able to contain her massive power.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Quake written as a terrible Mary Sue character? The character who defeats Magneto in her first appearance with a snap of her fingers? Who was chosen by Captain America himself to lead Shield before she was legal drinking age? Quake loving sucks.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Quake written as a terrible Mary Sue character? The character who defeats Magneto in her first appearance with a snap of her fingers? Who was chosen by Captain America himself to lead Shield before she was legal drinking age? Quake loving sucks.

In other words, a female character written by Bendis.

Thank God Hickman took over soon after.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Medullah posted:

Chloe Bennett was fine as hip, young hacker chick who is the audience's POV into the inner workings of SHIELD, but I can't stand Jesus Inhuman who is the savior of everyone and barely able to contain her massive power.

As someone who hasn't really watched the show in ages, this sounds like the exact opposite of what I'd want from a show called "Agents of SHIELD". I kinda liked the idea of a government agency of normal humans going around trying to police/investigate/maintain some facade of control over the supernatural nonsense that keeps happening in the Marvel world. Giving one of those agents god-tier superpowers sounds real boring.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

notthegoatseguy posted:

In other words, a female character written by Bendis.

Thank God Hickman took over soon after.

Bendis wrote Jessica Jones too. Quake sucks, but let's not overreach.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'd say Jessica Jones has proven to be the outlier over the years.

Just like the rest of Bendis's good work Heeeeyyyyoooo!

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SirDan3k posted:

I'd say Jessica Jones has proven to be the outlier over the years.

Just like the rest of Bendis's good work Heeeeyyyyoooo!

Bendis is good when he writes street level hero's and characters.

His Run on Ultimate Spider-man is what got me into comics in the first place, and only had one major mistake, that they then later just fixed with the most comic book rear end way possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Freaky Friday and that exploding german guy count as two mistakes for sure. I'm assuming the one you mean is the death of Gwen Stacy.

A big problem USM has when read in a block is that every story is the worst thing that ever happened to Pete, and then he dies. Bendis could've spaced out the tragedy a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexo posted:

His Run on Ultimate Spider-man is what got me into comics in the first place, and only had one major mistake, that they then later just fixed with the most comic book rear end way possible.

I have no idea what you're...the death of Gwen Stacy? Is that what you're referencing? Because her death and her return were both really good.

But yeah, Bendis' Gwen Stacy disproves the assertion that he doesn't know how to write women. He basically did a ground-up reinvention of the character to the point where she's a strong and compelling enough character to solo her own series now (Spider-Gwen definitely seems to be taking a lot of her cues from Ultimate Gwen Stacy). I mean, basically every major female character he wrote on USM was at least pretty good (but Gwen and Jessica Drew and Lana Baumgartner were the standouts).

Dude can write women well.

Lurdiak posted:

Freaky Friday and that exploding german guy count as two mistakes for sure. I'm assuming the one you mean is the death of Gwen Stacy.

The major mistakes of Bendis' run on USM were when Miles got the suit and basically got thrown into a bunch of real lame crossover events all in a row. Spider-Man No More was a great arc but that was kind of it for Miles for that first 28 issue run. Then Cataclysm happened (and he was great there), but at that point the writing was on the wall and the 1610 was being closed out so his final 12 issue arc is spent on that god-loving-awful, just absolutely loving atrocious revived Peter story or that awful All-New Ultimates run, before the final two arcs being a Secret Origins for his dad and a totally rushed faceoff against Doom. If it weren't for that really good All-New X-Men crossover arc the entirety of his post-Cataclysm, pre-SW stories would've been pretty trash.

I'm sort of amazed that Miles is as good a character as he is considered most of everything that came after USM 160 was disposable at best. There's really only a couple of arcs that really work in the whole thing, but Miles is still really appealing throughout.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2016