Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

YggiDee posted:

With how mind-bogglingly lethal everything I read about in this thread is, I sometimes wonder why people even try to make it? Like at what point is your science goal not worth having your bones melt? But I suspect asking that kind of question is why I'm not a chemist.

Three main reasons.

1) Some weird, dangerous chemicals actually have very specific uses (like the above B2F4 for semiconductors).
2) They may be important to make to test theoretical models. Stability, bond lengths, angles, ionization energy, and other properties can be compared to what they are expected to be.
3) They may present interesting synthetic challenges such that the process of making it provides insights into making other compounds.

And, of course, some people are just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Arsenic is a great dopant. Nice and fat so it can peek out on the surface of a film.

Metal oxides and silicon play huge roles in making the right electrical contacts so HF becomes useful.

Then there are the various cleaning and etching solutions. Oh you can't use alkali metal bases much since they like to chew up the structure you're trying to clean. So that brings ammonium in or its evil cousin tetramethylammonium.

There's more. It's always worse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Modern life would be unrecognizable without fluorine chemistry. Its one of those whoa elements on the periodic table. There is so much fluorine moving around in the form of HF, its spooky considering the safety boner anyone who knows anything about chemistry can get.

Its actually relatively tame compared to something like organophosphates. Pesticides are nerve gas. Nerve gas is pesticides.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

In some cases, it's also a search for cheaper production. Synthetic organic chemistry is always in search of new reagents.

The classic modern example of this is meth -- there's six major ways of synthesizing it. Which one you use varies based on how expensive/available the components are, and how tolerant you are to risk. (Please don't cook meth)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Memento posted:

As the post I quoted said, B2F4 is for ion implantation. Semiconductor fabrication makes integrated circuits (microchips) which make computers.

Basically, we do all of these things so that 13 year olds can call each other homophobic slurs on Xbox live.

something quite fitting for the fact we use some of the most corrosive substances on the planet to make it possible for people to be toxic to each other online

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

zedprime posted:

Modern life would be unrecognizable without fluorine chemistry. Its one of those whoa elements on the periodic table. There is so much fluorine moving around in the form of HF, its spooky considering the safety boner anyone who knows anything about chemistry can get.

Its actually relatively tame compared to something like organophosphates. Pesticides are nerve gas. Nerve gas is pesticides.

Organophosphates are terrifying because they inhibit acetylcholinesterase, the enzyme that cleans up acetylcholine and breaks it down into waste products. Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter at the neuromuscular junction, meaning it's responsible for the transmission of a "go" signal from a nerve ending to a muscle fiber, and it also acts as a neurotransmitter within the sympathetic nervous system, the "fight or flight" system.

Build up too much of that poo poo and you're basically pissing, vomiting, making GBS threads, sweating, crying, heart-pounding, and convulsing to death. It is definitely in my top 5 "worst ways to die".

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

zedprime posted:

Pesticides are nerve gas. Nerve gas is pesticides.

I mean, that's true even at the most literal level. The only real difference is the size of the pest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ullerrm posted:

In some cases, it's also a search for cheaper production. Synthetic organic chemistry is always in search of new reagents.

The classic modern example of this is meth -- there's six major ways of synthesizing it. Which one you use varies based on how expensive/available the components are, and how tolerant you are to risk. (Please don't cook meth)

Notably the feds did a great job at getting rid of a necessary precursor to one synthesis method...

which meant the dirtier, easier method caught on and now we have a meth epidemic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tunicate posted:

Notably the feds did a great job at getting rid of a necessary precursor to one synthesis method...

which meant the dirtier, easier method caught on and now we have a meth epidemic.

I'd say we have a meth epidemic because the War on Drugs drove up the cost of the other poo poo. So people looked around for what else there was and discovered what you could do with OTC Sudafed.

I forget what comic it was: "Give us back the cocaine, and you can have the meth."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Tunicate posted:

At least it's easy to convert meth to pseudoephedrine if you have a source of MoOPH!

http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Two Finger posted:

All ships carry full firefighting gear including full SCBA. If I hadn't been able to get to the valve to close it off, my next action would have been to go on air.

I realise it wasn't the most safety oriented decision I could have made, as I said, but it was a successful action.

The mask was a full face shield, and as I say it bought me enough time to do what I needed to.

But perhaps this is a better discussion for an OSH thread.
There's no way to say this without sounding like an rear end in a top hat, but a few seconds and sheer dumb luck are the difference between you telling us about it and us watching a CSB animation of bodies piling up as each person tried to hold their breath and drag their coworkers out of the ammonia cloud.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GWBBQ posted:

There's no way to say this without sounding like an rear end in a top hat, but a few seconds and sheer dumb luck are the difference between you telling us about it and us watching a CSB animation of bodies piling up as each person tried to hold their breath and drag their coworkers out of the ammonia cloud.

Yeah, this kind of action would be awesome, if there had been more (quite a bit more) on the line than the company's bottom line. Two Finger, I respect the courage required for one to take physical risks in order to accomplish a task, but I also feel like there are way worthier causes.

At least you got a pretty awesome story out of it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Organophosphates are terrifying because they inhibit acetylcholinesterase, the enzyme that cleans up acetylcholine and breaks it down into waste products. Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter at the neuromuscular junction, meaning it's responsible for the transmission of a "go" signal from a nerve ending to a muscle fiber, and it also acts as a neurotransmitter within the sympathetic nervous system, the "fight or flight" system.

Build up too much of that poo poo and you're basically pissing, vomiting, making GBS threads, sweating, crying, heart-pounding, and convulsing to death. It is definitely in my top 5 "worst ways to die".

I've got a boring Organophosphate story from when I worked at a resort as a kid. I had mixed up a backpack sprayers' worth of malathion and had pumped up the pressure. I didn't have my gloves on and no respirator. So like an idiot, I turned the handle left instead of right and took a face and lung full of the insecticide.

I literally stood their feeling my pulse and hoping that it stayed steady. I got lucky, it was dilute enough to not hurt me. Tastes terrible though. Thank God it was diluted.

It might not have been malathion. I do remember that the back of the bottle had a physicians note to "inject atropine to tolerance if exposed" So maybe it was something worse.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

ullerrm posted:

At least it's easy to convert meth to pseudoephedrine if you have a source of MoOPH!

http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf

quote:

While N-methylamphetamine itself is a powerful decongestant, it is less desirable in a medical setting because of its severe side effects and addictive properties. Such side effects may include insomnia, agitation, irritability, dry mouth, sweating, and heart palpitations. Other side effects may include violent urges or, similarly, the urge to be successful in business or finance.

:golfclap:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GWBBQ posted:

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah, this kind of action would be awesome, if there had been more (quite a bit more) on the line than the company's bottom line. Two Finger, I respect the courage required for one to take physical risks in order to accomplish a task, but I also feel like there are way worthier causes.

Yeah, I should really reemphasise my point that I know full well I didn't take the safest action. I chose the quickest (again, to try and minimise the greater risk), and I got lucky.

Don't gently caress around with hazardous chemicals, kids.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Tunicate posted:

Don't forget an opioid epidemic powered by hundreds of high powered fentanyl analogues and research chemicals like U-47700 (withdrawls so bad people shoot themselves), MT-45 (makes all the hair on your body fall out and grow back as a fine fuzz??) , w-15 and w-18 (doses in the microgram range can kill you, basically a chemical weapon since opening a bag of it could put enough in the air for you to breath it in and die) or Acrylfentanyl (turns into a glue like substance in your veins)

Moist von Lipwig has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Jun 28, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shipon posted:

something quite fitting for the fact we use some of the most corrosive substances on the planet to make it possible for people to be toxic to each other online

I delight in the irony of antivaxx and other antiscience assholes using the internet to spread their bullshit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

I delight in the irony of antivaxx and other antiscience assholes using the internet to spread their bullshit.

On another board we practically drove someone off the internet when we pointed out that Alan Turing was gay.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Don't forget an opioid epidemic powered by hundreds of high powered fentanyl analogues and research chemicals like U-47700 (withdrawls so bad people shoot themselves), MT-45 (makes all the hair on your body fall out and grow back as a fine fuzz??) , w-15 and w-18 (doses in the microgram range can kill you, basically a chemical weapon since opening a bag of it could put enough in the air for you to breath it in and die) or Acrylfentanyl (turns into a glue like substance in your veins)

Well, THAT was a rabbit hole that surely got me on some watchlists. Couldn't find anything about the ac-fent turning to glue, other than unsubstantiated stoner talk. Nor could I find anything on U-47700 being suicidally bad to withdraw from. Not a user, mind you, but a bit of a nosy parker.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

On another board we practically drove someone off the internet when we pointed out that Alan Turing was gay.

Did you mention how shittily treated he was bu the British Government to balance that out?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

A bit late, but:

DemeaninDemon posted:

tetramethylammonium

This stuff sounds really evil.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LordSaturn posted:

A bit late, but:

TMA itself is a lovely neurotoxin. It comes with a hydroxide making it a strong base so it has a nice vector to hit the bloodstream too!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, I should really reemphasise my point that I know full well I didn't take the safest action. I chose the quickest (again, to try and minimise the greater risk), and I got lucky.

Don't gently caress around with hazardous chemicals, kids.
I'm happy that you're still alive and I hope you share what you learned with others.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

LordSaturn posted:

A bit late, but:

Tetramethyl anything is a bad day, but it's not a metal complex at least.

e: hur

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

LonsomeSon posted:

i feel like when the alternative is a long trip home with a hold full of rotting fish the risky option might seem more attractive

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Here's a good CSB video on an ammonia leak that happened, you might find it interesting. The schaden part? 800 people got exposed to a cloud of anhydrous ammonia because the failure happened at *exactly* the right time .

Also, dude who went diving in ammonia - your sense of smell is probably really hosed up.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So how many of these have resulted in hilariously terrifying TCC threads?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The creation of research chemicals seems like modern day alchemy or wizard poo poo to me, like "hey I made a drug that turns people's blood into glue"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Here's a good CSB video on an ammonia leak that happened, you might find it interesting. The schaden part? 800 people got exposed to a cloud of anhydrous ammonia because the failure happened at *exactly* the right time .

Also, dude who went diving in ammonia - your sense of smell is probably really hosed up.

hahaha poo poo, ammonia hammer

never thought i'd hear of such a thing

and yeah but then i smoke anyway so it was probably hosed beforehand

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Tcc got into benzos to hilarious results. The big one was phenazepam with some ungodly biological half life of a week. It was a Soviet research drug.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Tcc got into benzos to hilarious results. The big one was phenazepam with some ungodly biological half life of a week. It was a Soviet research drug.

that thread was magical

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

shoot themselves), MT-45 (makes all the hair on your body fall out and grow back as a fine fuzz??) , w-15 and w-18 (doses in the microgram range can kill you, basically a chemical weapon since opening a bag of it could put enough in the air for you to breath it in and die) or Acrylfentanyl (turns into a glue like substance in your veins)
MT-45 was mentioned in a TCC RC thread. Someone found a post on Bluelight where the author had decided he and his girlfriend would be the first animals to try it because it looked similar to some other drug molecule. It gave them a buzz and shut down all of the oil glands in their skin. Their skin started going scaly, bottom of their feet cracked open, and all of their hair fell out. Started getting better after a week or two, but their hair grew back white and fine like babys hair. Good times.

edit:

DemeaninDemon posted:

I edited someone's Joose thread dump into ebook format, I should probably put it on google drive or torrent it or something

Active dose is 1 mg, and it's cheap and insoluble in water or alcohol, so they bought grams of it and tried to eyeball the doses. It also takes several hours to come on and causes amnesia and alcohol-like disinhibition, causing them to overdose and re-overdose, reappearing a week later with a wrecked car, wrecked marriage, and all sorts of random Ebay purchases.

Rave reviews:

Brotato posted:

My favorite joose story is the one where the dude wakes up to find that he's mail-ordered a hundred snakes.

Exethan posted:

i liked the guy who drank dish soap, poo poo or threw up bubbles, and put his chair on the stove

Good times

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jun 28, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Samizdata posted:

Well, THAT was a rabbit hole that surely got me on some watchlists. Couldn't find anything about the ac-fent turning to glue, other than unsubstantiated stoner talk. Nor could I find anything on U-47700 being suicidally bad to withdraw from. Not a user, mind you, but a bit of a nosy parker.

All of those side-effects sound like drug-warrior urban legend, like how LSD crystallizes in your spinal column and that's how it gives you flashbacks years later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
DARE was actually describing reality, it was just a reality where there are only research drugs to get high on. They tend to be that wacky/horrific.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Honestly if LSD did give you free trips later just for cracking your back, I feel like that would make it a great deal

zedprime posted:

DARE was actually describing reality, it was just a reality where there are only research drugs to get high on. They tend to be that wacky/horrific.

DARE was so loving dumb lol

I haven't been in school for a long rear end time now, does DARE cover RCs? They kind of should, I think, and it's not like they'd need to over dramatize things like they did with weed/whatever

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh Research Chemicals, most of them are completely untested because some team of chemists went and decided they needed to make a drug that did X thing but the only way to get there was to make Y first. So they make Y, document the process, then make X out of it and test X. Half the time it turns out X is useless because it makes lab rats shoot blood from their eyeballs or something as a side effect. Y, of course, does something different and the Chinese manufacturer who was making Y for the trials now has a big stockpile of it and no customer.

Then some stoner with a BS in chemistry finds out about Y, and comedy/tragedy ensues.

The alternative, which is strictly opioid derivatives, is a research team builds and then discards literally DOZENS of chemicals trying to find one in the sweet spot of strength and ease of manufacture. It's why we know what the KOR does (hint, it's not a good trip, do not take anything that binds to KOR).

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Gotta be honest the idea of a drug that would make all my hair fall out is kinda appealing. Now, if A. it only applied to body hair and 2. it didn't grow back at all then I'd be sold. Never have to shave my legs again!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kwyndig posted:

The alternative, which is strictly opioid derivatives, is a research team builds and then discards literally DOZENS of chemicals trying to find one in the sweet spot of strength and ease of manufacture. It's why we know what the KOR does (hint, it's not a good trip, do not take anything that binds to KOR).
Salvia is a kappa opiod agonist and some people actually like it.

Phanatic posted:

All of those side-effects sound like drug-warrior urban legend, like how LSD crystallizes in your spinal column and that's how it gives you flashbacks years later.
For a real-life drug urban legend, google bromo dragonfly. Warning, the photos are :nms: Bromo-dragonfly a hallucingen and a potent vasoconstrictor. It's so potent that it can cause your fingers and toes to need to be amputated.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Luneshot posted:

Gotta be honest the idea of a drug that would make all my hair fall out is kinda appealing. Now, if A. it only applied to body hair and 2. it didn't grow back at all then I'd be sold. Never have to shave my legs again!

It's kind of the opposite of mioxidil. It was originally being tested in people as a treatment for high blood pressure, but the people in the clinical study started turning into werewolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Luneshot posted:

A selective hair removal drug would be a goldmine.