Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

doomtuba posted:

So what's up with the new activation fee? I have an iPhone, nexus and Lumina I like to switch SIMs between. Will I get charged every time I swap?
My guess is that is not an activation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

doomtuba posted:

So what's up with the new activation fee? I have an iPhone, nexus and Lumina I like to switch SIMs between. Will I get charged every time I swap?

It's only for activations (BYOD, New Line) and upgrades. SIM swaps are still free at corporate stores.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Uh, why did my data plan get mysteriously upgraded to Mobile Share 20 from Mobile Share 15? I didn't request an upgrade and I'm still being charged the $100 that I was paying for Mobile Share 15.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Uh, why did my data plan get mysteriously upgraded to Mobile Share 20 from Mobile Share 15? I didn't request an upgrade and I'm still being charged the $100 that I was paying for Mobile Share 15.

Occasionally we'll see a loyalty bump up and it appears out of the blue. Not sure what the conditions are, but enjoy it!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

Darilian posted:

Occasionally we'll see a loyalty bump up and it appears out of the blue. Not sure what the conditions are, but enjoy it!

I've never seen loyalty bumps but nothing says that policy cant change now.

I know when 10GB used to be $100, and they made the change to 15GB for $100, I was just searching reciepts of people I recently upgraded (or even upgraded in the past year) and bumped them up. For some STRANGE REASON, bumping customers to the higher data, despite it not costing any more, paid me commission. So it's very possible someone out there is doing the same thing.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I got that same 15-->20GB bump. They sent me a thank you text for being a customer too.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is that a bump I can call and get? I'm on 15 GB right now which is more than enough, but I would never turn down bumping to more for the same money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Is that a bump I can call and get? I'm on 15 GB right now which is more than enough, but I would never turn down bumping to more for the same money.

Call and ask. Can't hurt.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Beefstorm posted:

I've never seen loyalty bumps but nothing says that policy cant change now.

I know when 10GB used to be $100, and they made the change to 15GB for $100, I was just searching reciepts of people I recently upgraded (or even upgraded in the past year) and bumped them up. For some STRANGE REASON, bumping customers to the higher data, despite it not costing any more, paid me commission. So it's very possible someone out there is doing the same thing.

Doubt it, it looks like the 15-20 gig promotion isn't even really a thing, like it's not an option in retention, they are just boosting certain customers.

I really should start using more data just wastefully or add someone to my account, I've got over 35 gigs with rollover this month.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can someone tell me why anyone who pays for their own individual phone service wouldn't use the GoPhone thing from AT&T instead of opening an AT&T account like normal? I'm looking at $55/mo for 2GB+talk/text with a regular account and $40/mo for 3GB+talk/text+unlimited throttled data after the 3GB with the GoPhone thing. I would be paying month-to-month either way, and both get rollover data, so...?

Is the service terrible compared to a normal account or something, I thought they used the exact same network? I fail to see the downside.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Can someone tell me why anyone who pays for their own individual phone service wouldn't use the GoPhone thing from AT&T instead of opening an AT&T account like normal? I'm looking at $55/mo for 2GB+talk/text with a regular account and $40/mo for 3GB+talk/text+unlimited throttled data after the 3GB with the GoPhone thing. I would be paying month-to-month either way, and both get rollover data, so...?

Is the service terrible compared to a normal account or something, I thought they used the exact same network? I fail to see the downside.

I was always under the impression that postpaid service got highest priority on the network vs the various prepaid services, but that could just be a myth.

There are other features (wifi calling, etc) that may be postpaid only.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

ATT, ATT Go Phone and Cricket all use ATT and are owned by ATT. The difference is that prepaid, being Go Phone and Cricket:

1. Don't get roaming (in US coverage)
2. get capped at data speeds of 7MB, so you get throttled to 7MB.
3. you can't travel international with your prepaid plan (not that you would really want to anyway)
4. Cricket, last I checked, isn't supported in ATT stores, only cricket stores specifically.
5. You can only get a payment plan on postpaid.

Overall the only big one for most people is the data speeds being capped, and some people just don't like buying phones outright. Depends on how you use your phone on what works for you.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT, ATT Go Phone and Cricket all use ATT and are owned by ATT. The difference is that prepaid, being Go Phone and Cricket:

1. Don't get roaming (in US coverage)
2. get capped at data speeds of 7MB, so you get throttled to 7MB.
3. you can't travel international with your prepaid plan (not that you would really want to anyway)
4. Cricket, last I checked, isn't supported in ATT stores, only cricket stores specifically.
5. You can only get a payment plan on postpaid.

Overall the only big one for most people is the data speeds being capped, and some people just don't like buying phones outright. Depends on how you use your phone on what works for you.

GoPhone is not throttled in any way until you exceed your monthly 4G allotment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Brock Landers posted:

GoPhone is not throttled in any way until you exceed your monthly 4G allotment.

That's what a sales rep told me as well. I rarely do anything other than stream music on my phone so I wouldn't give a poo poo about the 7MB thing anyways.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I made the mistake of buying a Galaxy s6 edge plus with AT&T last Christmas. Marshmallow is out on the standard s6 and edge but not the edge plus. Is there any sort of time frame for when that's coming out? Last time I'm going good to treat myself to a nice phone while I'm still with AT&T.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

I made the mistake of buying a Galaxy s6 edge plus with AT&T last Christmas. Marshmallow is out on the standard s6 and edge but not the edge plus. Is there any sort of time frame for when that's coming out? Last time I'm going good to treat myself to a nice phone while I'm still with AT&T.

I doubt there is a time frame unfortunately.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My AT&T online account got hacked because I was dumb and reused a password that was also in some other breach. Somehow they managed to get an Apple Store to sell them three iPhone 6S+ and transferred three of our lines to them. First we found out was that the lines stopped working.

It was fairly easy to get resolved with online support and fraud department and we just had to get new sims for the affected phones but I'm still curious what the scam is. Online account access shouldn't be enough to get new phones in person, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

My AT&T online account got hacked because I was dumb and reused a password that was also in some other breach. Somehow they managed to get an Apple Store to sell them three iPhone 6S+ and transferred three of our lines to them. First we found out was that the lines stopped working.

It was fairly easy to get resolved with online support and fraud department and we just had to get new sims for the affected phones but I'm still curious what the scam is. Online account access shouldn't be enough to get new phones in person, right?

Online access probably got them your master password. Apple doesn't ask for drivers license (last I checked) in store, they ask for the account password or last 4 of the social. So if they got either of those, it would be very easy.

TO-Milamber
May 10, 2004

Looked over the thread and not sure if this question came up, but I didn't see it. I recently took advantage of the buy 1 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, get a 2nd free, and gave the 2nd to my mom. She liked it for a month, but now she hates it. If I find someone with like let's say an iPhone 6S Plus who would do a straight up swap, could the IMEIs just be swapped on the account by an agent and everything would be copacetic? It's under contract for another 22 months or so.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

TO-Milamber posted:

Looked over the thread and not sure if this question came up, but I didn't see it. I recently took advantage of the buy 1 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, get a 2nd free, and gave the 2nd to my mom. She liked it for a month, but now she hates it. If I find someone with like let's say an iPhone 6S Plus who would do a straight up swap, could the IMEIs just be swapped on the account by an agent and everything would be copacetic? It's under contract for another 22 months or so.

Yes, you can swap the IMEIs and still have everything "good" on your account. The next installment will remain though and will continue to be credited (as part of your "get one").

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Any reason to not get an S7 Edge right now? I kinda need an upgrade (from a Note 3) and i'm not even sure what else I would get. No Nexus phones available, and might want to change things up instead of getting a Note 5 or 6 or whatever they are on. Does the S7 Edge have any major drawbacks?

They are also offering a free Tab E with activation but that seems like junk.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

smackfu posted:

Came in here to post something similar. I honestly have no idea which other website I use had a data breach, but they accessed my AT&T account and ordered a new iPhone 6s. I got an email confirmation about the order (which alerted me to the security breach), so I was able to call AT&T to cancel the order before it got processed. Unfortunately i called after the fraud department had already closed so I gotta call back tomorrow.

The weird thing is the person was going to ship the phone to an address in Corona, CA and addressed to me. I live about 3,500 miles from California.....

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
A friend is travelling to England with his iPhone on AT&T and is looking for solutions for calling and data while he's there.

The built in Wifi Calling will allow him to make free calls back to the US with his own number when on wifi, but cheap roaming or a local SIM would be better.

AT&T's international Passport plans are a joke, so roaming is right out. Too bad they haven't gone the route of T-Mobile and Sprint in negotiating international roaming deals.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that he's out of contract to request a SIM unlock. If not, is AT&T in the habit of providing unlocks for loyal customers travelling internationally, whether its an international only (not domestic) SIM unlock, a temporary SIM unlock, or an exception to their usual unlocking requirements?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

A friend is travelling to England with his iPhone on AT&T and is looking for solutions for calling and data while he's there.

The built in Wifi Calling will allow him to make free calls back to the US with his own number when on wifi, but cheap roaming or a local SIM would be better.

AT&T's international Passport plans are a joke, so roaming is right out. Too bad they haven't gone the route of T-Mobile and Sprint in negotiating international roaming deals.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that he's out of contract to request a SIM unlock. If not, is AT&T in the habit of providing unlocks for loyal customers travelling internationally, whether its an international only (not domestic) SIM unlock, a temporary SIM unlock, or an exception to their usual unlocking requirements?

If he isn't out of contract / payment plan, he can ask. I've seem ATT give an unlock, but it's pretty rare as of a year ago when I was working there. Worst case is buy out phone.

Ticallion Stallion
Jul 29, 2008

The Audacity Of Dope
I have a pretty simple situation but I would appreciate some advice to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity to switch to a better plan.

I currently have an old Nation 450 Rollover plan with unlimited data and texting. My current phone is the 5s with no annual service commitment, but I'm planning on switching to the 7 once it's released. (Caveat: the charging port on the 5s is starting to have problems and I no longer have AppleCare, so there's a chance I might not be able to make it that far)

Here's roughly what I'm using a month:

Talk: Average 85 min with a peak of around 180
Text: Average 183 with a peak of around 470
Data: Average 6.5 with a peak of around 14

Monthly amount due: $110.92

Should I consider moving to a different plan?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're using that much data, probably not unless you *really* want to be able to tether. A 15 GB plan (there's nothing between 6 GB and 15 GB) will be $115 before taxes plus the cost of the phone.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Endless Mike posted:

If you're using that much data, probably not unless you *really* want to be able to tether. A 15 GB plan (there's nothing between 6 GB and 15 GB) will be $115 before taxes plus the cost of the phone.

If you have a FAN discount, it may be cheaper. I have 22% so that comes right off the $100 data bucket.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Even at 22%, he'll be right in the same ballpark after taxes, at which point it's still a question of whether tethering is important or not.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have a 2 line family plan with a 15% or 20% corporate discount from my previous job. In a few weeks I am planning on cutting down the family plan to just only 1 line which from my research will come out to be $45/month. If I downgrade to 1 line, do you think I will still be able to retain my corporate discount?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Busy Bee posted:

I currently have a 2 line family plan with a 15% or 20% corporate discount from my previous job. In a few weeks I am planning on cutting down the family plan to just only 1 line which from my research will come out to be $45/month. If I downgrade to 1 line, do you think I will still be able to retain my corporate discount?

I am still using my FAN discount from a job I left 8 years ago, and I've made a lot of account changes over those 8 years, but I'll probably switch soon. I think my new employer is 1-2% better discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Yes it should still work on that plan.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BabyRyoga posted:

Any reason to not get an S7 Edge right now? I kinda need an upgrade (from a Note 3) and i'm not even sure what else I would get. No Nexus phones available, and might want to change things up instead of getting a Note 5 or 6 or whatever they are on. Does the S7 Edge have any major drawbacks?

They are also offering a free Tab E with activation but that seems like junk.

You should get an iPhone :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does AT&T blacklist/block/do anything to phones that don't finish their next payment plans or the person doesn't pay a contract on? I ask because the last couple phones I've bought on Swappa I've ended up having to return because they still had outstanding Next obligations on which I didn't want to deal with.

That got me wondering though, does that actually matter? Does AT&T care about the device, or just do the normal "gently caress the credit of the person that bought it" routine?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, they blacklist phones with unfulfilled loans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Does AT&T blacklist/block/do anything to phones that don't finish their next payment plans or the person doesn't pay a contract on? I ask because the last couple phones I've bought on Swappa I've ended up having to return because they still had outstanding Next obligations on which I didn't want to deal with.

That got me wondering though, does that actually matter? Does AT&T care about the device, or just do the normal "gently caress the credit of the person that bought it" routine?

If the customer leaves and doesn't pay say, the $400 remaining balance, yes ATT cares because then they basically eat it. Of course it's mitigated by getting written off, selling off debt, etc, but it's still never as good as getting paid.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

If the customer leaves and doesn't pay say, the $400 remaining balance, yes ATT cares because then they basically eat it. Of course it's mitigated by getting written off, selling off debt, etc, but it's still never as good as getting paid.

Yeah, I agree 100%, I was mainly just curious what happens to the poor schlub who buys the device that the original owner didn't finish paying for on craigslist or ebay or whatever.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, they blacklist phones with unfulfilled loans.

They do not. I bought an iPhone 6s+ via local classifieds last month. I had a pretty solid feeling that the seller hadn't paid his NEXT balance. Sure enough I checked with AT&T (corporate store) and they said it has a balance but couldn't tell me what it was. They said the only downside is I can't ever unlock it.

They expressly said they won't blacklist phones that aren't paid for - they just wreck the credit of the person who defaulted and the unlucky buyer can use the phone on ATT only.

I'm sure this is a controversial post but they were explicit with me. I'm not worried.

Any ATT goon able to chime in?

Yes they have every right to blacklist the phone, but the clarification needs to be "do they routinely do so?" Flip a coin I guess. Google gives both answers.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 13, 2016

Ticallion Stallion
Jul 29, 2008

The Audacity Of Dope

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured but I thought there might be some alternative in that range that I hadn't noticed.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Having a number port issue: ported a number on Sunday from Vonage to the AT&T wireless home phone device for my 85 year old grandmother since my dad has passed and I don't want to deal with issues when her internet goes out (which is frequently). She can place calls without issue and it shows up on my phone as the correct number. However, whenever calling the number it still routes to Vonage as the old voicemail message instantly plays (no ring whatsoever). The AT&T port status page shows it is confirmed - is this usually how long it takes to port a landline over? I don't want to be a nudge to AT&T support, but I would like to tell her when she can use her landline phone, as she isn't comfortable with a smartphone yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bigtom posted:

Having a number port issue: ported a number on Sunday from Vonage to the AT&T wireless home phone device for my 85 year old grandmother since my dad has passed and I don't want to deal with issues when her internet goes out (which is frequently). She can place calls without issue and it shows up on my phone as the correct number. However, whenever calling the number it still routes to Vonage as the old voicemail message instantly plays (no ring whatsoever). The AT&T port status page shows it is confirmed - is this usually how long it takes to port a landline over? I don't want to be a nudge to AT&T support, but I would like to tell her when she can use her landline phone, as she isn't comfortable with a smartphone yet.

Landlines take 3-5 days. I would call the port department and make sure.