Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Ha and here I thought the new rules were supposed to help professionals. Nope

If I had to guess, the underlying law probably specifically lists all three as exempt.

edit: nope, only teachers. My guess is that the department simply takes the position that nothing can be a profession if you're paid under the minimum (like nothing can be a bona fide executive position), but doctors and lawyers are the paradigmatic "professionals" and the licensing requirements means it's hard to fake that they're a lawyer like you can fake that they're an "executive" or "food service professional"

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Forceholy posted:

The more job postings show up on this thread, the more I think deciding to not attend Law School was my best idea yet.

Now I got to figure out how to make a Political Science degree work:sigh:

Well, Poli Sci works as well as anything else for your cookie cutter entry level BA required job. Otherwise, get a masters in something useful.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

onemillionzombies posted:

Well, Poli Sci works as well as anything else for your cookie cutter entry level BA required job. Otherwise, get a masters in something useful.

Useful as in STEM-related?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Ha and here I thought the new rules were supposed to help professionals. Nope

That assumes law is still a profession.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Forceholy posted:

Useful as in STEM-related?

Useful as in it'll get you a job. Getting a masters in something like poli sci / international studies and you may very well be screwing yourself over like if you had gotten a JD but on a smaller scale, especially if it's not at a top ranked program. Then again my brother in law got a masters in that very thing at a poo poo school and he's doing very well in the banking industry so :shrug:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
loving scotus and this lautenberg amendment poo poo :mad: I guess I'm going to be doing more misdemeanor DV trials after these last two cases on the matter because all of my clients become avid hunters once they find out their right to own a firearm gets stripped.

The options for alternative pleas are closing.

Edit: actually this hasn't been a huge issue lately, but I will really be mad one of these days.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 28, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Well, Poli Sci works as well as anything else for your cookie cutter entry level BA required job.

Those positions were all abolished back in the Great Culling of Aught-Three, sorry.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Hello brothers and sisters. It's been a while. Wish I had some sort of triumphant return post like I won the lotto and I'm out of the industry, but no. Just bitching that my Vault 20 firm isn't matching Cravath and I'm now being paid tens of thousands of dollars below the new market rate. Don't go, no jobs, die alone and feeling under valued and inferior to your peers.

Shout out to my good brother in a secondary East Coast market who is going through this as well. I'll internal message you tomorrow.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Forceholy posted:

The more job postings show up on this thread, the more I think deciding to not attend Law School was my best idea yet.

Now I got to figure out how to make a Political Science degree work:sigh:

Get 24 credits in Computer Science. Get a government IT job. Do nothing, all day, every day.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Useful as in it'll get you a job. Getting a masters in something like poli sci / international studies and you may very well be screwing yourself over like if you had gotten a JD but on a smaller scale, especially if it's not at a top ranked program.

Be like me and get a masters in international affairs, and end up as a paralegal. Good move, past me!

On the plus side, you guys convinced me not to follow that up with a law degree and I am apparently doing better than attorneys in chicago, so there's that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just a reminder: government lawyering is pretty decent.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Until the revolution comes, anyway

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
It's already here!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/28/chatbot-ai-lawyer-donotpay-parking-tickets-london-new-york

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who cares my pension is vested suckers

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This does not worry the government employee. I'm pretty sure we still employ at least one typewriter repairman and will until he decides to retire and take his sweat rear end pension.
Get in while the getting is still good is what I'm saying. We won't be hiring any new typewriter repairmen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Quick arrest him for giving unlicensed legal advice or else skynet will destroy our profession

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

This does not worry the government employee. I'm pretty sure we still employ at least one typewriter repairman and will until he decides to retire and take his sweat rear end pension.
Get in while the getting is still good is what I'm saying. We won't be hiring any new typewriter repairmen.

At one of my state gov't internships we had a cubicle that was basically the typewriter cubicle. Even the chair was falling apart.

Guess who got to sit next to the typewriter cubicle

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ainsley McTree posted:

At one of my state gov't internships we had a cubicle that was basically the typewriter cubicle. Even the chair was falling apart.

Guess who got to sit next to the typewriter cubicle

Look at Mr fancy with his cubicles

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

Hello brothers and sisters. It's been a while. Wish I had some sort of triumphant return post like I won the lotto and I'm out of the industry, but no. Just bitching that my Vault 20 firm isn't matching Cravath and I'm now being paid tens of thousands of dollars below the new market rate. Don't go, no jobs, die alone and feeling under valued and inferior to your peers.

Shout out to my good brother in a secondary East Coast market who is going through this as well. I'll internal message you tomorrow.

Must be rough working at Wachtell.

JK JK - LOL @ [redacted]. Sorry - they can't give you a raise, they're too busy forking over $250k signing bonuses to SCOTUS clerks in a desperate bid to make it seem like they aren't the loving Walmart of biglaw.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 28, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The hatred between biglaw firms never ceases to amaze me

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm finding harder than I expected to find this as a non-litigator in the midwest. I've been tracking USAJobs for a long time now, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that nearly nothing has shown up within a multi-state region in and bordering my state. I have no desire to live on the East Coast.

State jobs are a little more available, but are again generally litigation focused (courthouse related things, or county attorney positions looking for litigation experience or desire to litigate).

Just giving my reaction from having looked around a little bit - I have not done a hard core job search, and have only monitored some sites with listings in a general way.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mastershakeman posted:

The hatred between biglaw firms never ceases to amaze me

If you're gonna take it in the rear end repeatedly, might as well defend it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EwokEntourage posted:

If you're gonna take it in the rear end repeatedly, might as well defend it

Yeah but considering the reach around in the form of compensation it's not all bad

Slyfrog, where are you looking for jobs? I'm starting to get worried about my unemployment ending and would love to have a government one but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah but considering the reach around in the form of compensation it's not all bad

Slyfrog, where are you looking for jobs? I'm starting to get worried about my unemployment ending and would love to have a government one but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Primarily usajobs.gov, indeed.com, and the state career website (which obviously differs from state to state). It looks like most state jobs get posted on indeed.com anyway (or at least I keep seeing state and county positions showing up there).

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

Must be rough working at Wachtell.

JK JK - LOL @ [redacted]. Sorry - they can't give you a raise, they're too busy forking over $250k signing bonuses to SCOTUS clerks in a desperate bid to make it seem like they aren't the loving Walmart of biglaw.

I've got a whole separate tank of negative energy when it comes to the SCOTUS clerk bullshit. I'll stop by the IRC and vent properly here soon.

autistic cum slut
Jun 3, 2011

Rolled Cabbage posted:

autistic cum slut what's your area? Is junior crime really as hosed as 2 jags QCs make it out to be?

Sorry for the slow reply.

I do a mix of civil: some PI, property and low level commercial etc.

Crime in general is hosed save for maybe 30 or 40 people doing high profile privately paid white collar crime. I assume it's the same for solicitors and there are a handful of firms doing OK. I think it's particularly bad at the junior end but to be honest, I don't think it gets better up the ladder save for the people I have mentioned.

I don't have much first hand experience but everyone I have spoken to has confirmed that all the horror stories are accurate.

If you're really set on doing crime then try to go to a mixed set and subsidise it by doing civil work as well.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love doing crime

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Primarily usajobs.gov, indeed.com, and the state career website (which obviously differs from state to state). It looks like most state jobs get posted on indeed.com anyway (or at least I keep seeing state and county positions showing up there).

Sly frog, you should also check the relevant USAO and agency websites directly. Even though everything is supposed to be on USA jobs, sometimes positions fall through the cracks. Plus spots open up and are basically filled before being cursorily posted.

Also make friends (lol I know) with folks in the USAO where you live and have those friends tell you about positions. Granted, 90% of those jobs will be litigation because the non-lit positions are all within the respective agencies responsible for whatever subject area it is, but at least it would be something?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I really can't imagine what non litigators do all day. Review pieces of paper?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yell at opposing counsel over Section 3.4.2 of an 80 page agreement.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Pretty much, yeah, that's what I do.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Look at dozens of 50 page contracts to make sure that the assignability clauses are all the same so that this can be a footnote in a 100 page purchase/sale agreement

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That's so worthless. Not like litigation. For example, today I tried a case all day over $1000.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Tell 80 year old clients what's going to happen when they die in like two years and they haven't started estate planning.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

ulmont posted:

Yell at opposing counsel over Section 3.4.2 of an 80 page agreement.

It's great I haven't used my Bluebook yet

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

William Munny posted:

Pretty much, yeah, that's what I do.

You disappear for 20 loving months and this is your response? Do you still work in WPC?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I pretty much argue that we can't put poo poo in the agreement (or that we need that poo poo in the agreement) using basic high school logic and no true understanding of the law, make bold proclamations of how we cannot accept a negligence standard or must have a negligence standard for indemnification even though I have no practical experience with ever litigating negligence or indemnification and don't really know what negligence would really be likely to mean in a given industry or context, and then wait for a phone call six months later from the client asking why we did not foresee and draft for the issue that came up and is now loving them over.

I sincerely hate what I do.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I love drafting wills and prenups. I sit, I type, no one bothers me and I make $500 for easy as poo poo work

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I tell people the laws they want to make are unconstitutional or otherwise illegal.

And tell cops how to follow the law. This part is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I like doing corporate formation because I have No clue what I'm doing but I don't think it really matters either way