Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I dunno. I've watched a loooot of videos of people using the Vive and barely any use 15' X 15'. Most seem to just use only few feet in each direction, almost like they either forget they haves wider area or the cord is too much of a hassle. So I'm really not super concerned about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

AndrewP posted:

I dunno. I've watched a loooot of videos of people using the Vive and barely any use 15' X 15'. Most seem to just use only few feet in each direction, almost like they either forget they haves wider area or the cord is too much of a hassle. So I'm really not super concerned about this.

Or they want to stay in the camera focus for their video. Just saying.

I have a 6' x 8' play area, which should be just in the range for perfect Rift tracking, but I'm definitely looking at potentially rearranging stuff to get a bigger area because more space is great. So while I'm definitely happy I got the Vive I do also agree that the Rift's tracking area will work just fine for the majority of users.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, it shouldn't really affect most people.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

https://vrcover.com/
Specifically check out the water-proof ones for large events or extra-sweaty moments

Darn, next batch doesnt go out until July 21st. Thanks, I guess I'll order and wait. Early adopter woes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does any wireless controller work for Gear VR games, or does it have to be a 40-60 dollar one that every result for "best gear VR controller" Google seems to spit at me? I'd rather keep my costs low given I don't really need a controller for anything else.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Does any wireless controller work for Gear VR games, or does it have to be a 40-60 dollar one that every result for "best gear VR controller" Google seems to spit at me? I'd rather keep my costs low given I don't really need a controller for anything else.

Should be any bluetooth compatible controller, as far as I know. I think you can even get a PS4 controller to work but I'm not 100% on that

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Virtuix Omni also works with the GearVR over Bluetooth. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fLZ_O9-HA

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I tried a PS VR yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It looked like the text on things like the setup/home screens was pretty aliased, but those things probably aren't meant to be viewed an inch or so from your eyeballs.

I played EVE: Valkyrie and once the game was up and running, it was quite immersive. Because a lot of the motion can be quick and a little jerky, it was somewhat disorienting at times (space combat doesn't give you the best directional references at times), but I never felt motion sickness come on or anything. (Although I'm not generally very susceptible to it, so maybe it's bad and I just wasn't bothered.)

I saw a couple of people play Battlezone, and that seemed good. Players were looking around firing the guns and stuff and nobody seemed to express any great difficulties. One guy demoed The London Heist. In the start of the demo, you're a passenger in a vehicle and can grab stuff on the dashboard, and even reach over and fiddle with the radio. (It uses Move controllers instead of just a DS4.) I feel like the graphics weren't amazing, but I was watching on a big screen; they're probably optimized for VR (and the game doesn't launch for a bit, so they might still be working on that).

They didn't have Rigs, which is what I would have liked to try.

I can definitely see it as the "mainstream" VR device, especially for people that already have PS4s. I can also confirm that it fit over my glasses with no issue, so us four-eyed gamers can strap on our big goofy-looking goggles, too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think the time limit is necessary in Darknet, too, because there's no other way to lose.

The time limit isn't necessary, because it's a video game and why in God's green earth would you want to lose? It's bad enough that the game doesn't warn you that you can't stock up on 9 anti-viruses like your first hacks.

Shame you can't get refunds. I should've known better than to put money on a game that has time limits with no way to mod them out.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The time limit isn't necessary, because it's a video game and why in God's green earth would you want to lose? It's bad enough that the game doesn't warn you that you can't stock up on 9 anti-viruses like your first hacks.

Shame you can't get refunds. I should've known better than to put money on a game that has time limits with no way to mod them out.

If you can't lose, isn't winning sort of meaningless?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

If you can't lose, isn't winning sort of meaningless?

It's a video game. The act is inherently meaningless outside of being fun.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

It's a video game. The act is inherently meaningless outside of being fun.

Out of curiosity what are some games you enjoy that don't have some sort of fail state?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poetic Justice posted:

Out of curiosity what are some games you enjoy that don't have some sort of fail state?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Monument Valley... But yeah, not many games exist where there isn't a time limit or health bar that will send you back if it depletes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

The best computer game ever created, Monkey Island 2.

Speaking of which, MI 1 & 2 in VR when???

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

Many of the games I play have fail states, but since most of the games I play have proper save/reload features, their existence is literally trivia.

e: to be more specific, my annoyance ultimately comes from the game being a puzzle game. You know, where you puzzle poo poo out. You can't even check to see if where you want to start the level will be hard or not, the timer starts immediately.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 27, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Monument Valley... But yeah, not many games exist where there isn't a time limit or health bar that will send you back if it depletes.
Almost every major PC puzzle game I can think of from the last few years has had no failure state other than the ongoing state of "you haven't solved this puzzle yet". The Talos Pinciple, The Witness, Infinifactory, Snakebird, Antichamber, Full Bore, Hexcells, et cetera et cetera et cetera. I guess Portal kind of had failure states for its platforming, but even those were usually immediate retries with no loss of progress.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MisterBibs posted:

Many of the games I play have fail states, but since most of the games I play have proper save/reload features, their existence is literally trivia.

e: to be more specific, my annoyance ultimately comes from the game being a puzzle game. You know, where you puzzle poo poo out. You can't even check to see if where you want to start the level will be hard or not, the timer starts immediately.

The timer doesn't start until you enter your first node. You can look around all you want before you get cracking.

NRVNQSR posted:

Almost every major PC puzzle game I can think of from the last few years has had no failure state other than the ongoing state of "you haven't solved this puzzle yet". The Talos Pinciple, The Witness, Infinifactory, Snakebird, Antichamber, Full Bore, Hexcells, et cetera et cetera et cetera. I guess Portal kind of had failure states for its platforming, but even those were usually immediate retries with no loss of progress.

Those are puzzle games like..."can you figure out how this thing works," with designed set levels, where a timer makes less sense. This is more of a puzzle game like Bejeweled or something where the rules are immediately known and the levels are randomized, and the challenge is more figuring out the particular configuration and how to attack it.

I mean, it's a hacking game, are people really surprised there is a ticking clock in there before you get "traced"? The timer gives you some sense of urgency, even though it is super, super lenient. I don't think I've ever finished a hack with less than 10 minutes left on the clock, and that's taking my sweet time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

The timer doesn't start until you enter your first node. You can look around all you want before you get cracking.

Precisely. You can't look around to find the best node to start on, as even low-level nodes vary widely in difficulty.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I mean, it's a hacking game, are people really surprised there is a ticking clock in there before you get "traced"?

Yes, because its a puzzle game, fluff be damned. At least Uplink had the common decency to have a "route though THIS computer and remove your tracks from it and you're untraceable" stuff. (and saves you could back up).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Precisely. You can't look around to find the best node to start on, as even low-level nodes vary widely in difficulty.

Yes, because its a puzzle game, fluff be damned. At least Uplink had the common decency to have a "route though THIS computer and remove your tracks from it and you're untraceable" stuff. (and saves you could back up).

If you email Oculus support they will proved a 1 time refund from what I've heard.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MisterBibs posted:

Oh I thought you were saying you couldn't look around the whole playfield to figure out the best path to root before the timer started ticking.

Even so, I don't know, the game overall is so easy and the time limit so loose (at least up until around 45%, maybe it gets tight on the highest difficulty), and even the penalties for completely failing a mission are so minimal...I don't know, if people find this modicum of challenge too much, I don't even know how to defend it. I guess it's just not for you.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Virtuix Omni also works with the GearVR over Bluetooth. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fLZ_O9-HA

I wonder how naturalistic that feels to actually use. The guy seems to move pretty naturally for the most part. That sure is a fat ring they have inserted him into tho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Have you lost a hack due to the time limit? I've been finishing in 1/3 of the time allotted. It's basically saying you have that much time until you get detected in the network.

Though some of the things in the game are weird, like the mythical backbone. Does it exist? Yes, that's how the internet works.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Have you lost a hack due to the time limit?

I'm 1/3 on hacks at-or-similar-to-my-skill because of the time limit, yes, owning to there being insufficient time to get enough viruses (full compliment) or mandatory nodes being literally unwinnable, yes.

(I am so loving glad that I spent no money on this gimmicky crap, outside of the game and a to-be-returned-as-well wireless controller.)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So the 1.5 sdk was released and here is something new.

posted:

The SDK can now detect whether the user's thumbs are on the thumb rests of the Touch controllers. For more information, see Button Touch State

Pretty cool!

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/pc/1.5.0/Oculus_SDK_for_Windows/

Oh and also the buttons support four states instead of three, although that might have been known.

from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z1oKVBnL5Y

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 28, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You have to give Oculus credit, they may be taking forever it seems, but the tech they are working on is being worked to a fine shine as far as hardware goes before it ships out. Touch seems to be a pretty advanced piece of kit for a "game controller" that easily can be used for a lot more than just games.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

You have to give Oculus credit, they may be taking forever it seems, but the tech they are working on is being worked to a fine shine as far as hardware goes before it ships out. Touch seems to be a pretty advanced piece of kit for a "game controller" that easily can be used for a lot more than just games.

Yeah it's definitely looking pretty nice. I'm more of a sim racer person so I wasn't too concerned about motion controllers, but the more videos/games I'm seeing, the more hyped I'm getting. I just hope they keep the price reasonable and within people's expectations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How to make a lot of money:

Give MGR:R a working First Person mode.
Enable VR motion controls.
Rules of nature.

Really, I just wanna see more size stuff. Large things. I can only that Shadow of Collosus in VR Roomscale must be insane. Not sure how you could control it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I still wish for a Black & White Remake for VR. You already had the hand control and gestures to do stuff. To be able to do them with actual hands and gestures would be amazing. Something Peter would actually be proud of since then.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

EdEddnEddy posted:

I still wish for a Black & White Remake for VR. You already had the hand control and gestures to do stuff. To be able to do them with actual hands and gestures would be amazing. Something Peter would actually be proud of since then.

Dungeon Keeper would also be really good in VR.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Black and White by far would be the most interesting experience with VR controllers. It would be a lot easier to control your pet as well as flinging things from your influence range.

A 3D Kirby Canvas Curse would be an interesting bet too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was thinking about Rock Band drums in VR earlier

I guess you wouldn't have the foot drums, but still, :fap:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Republicans posted:

This is the best idea (although maybe War for the Overworld is more likely, given EA's mobile port). I can't wait for more RTSes etc. to get ported to VR, I think something like co-op supreme commander would be really fun. Or any good 4x game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Any word from Oculus on when we're gonna see those new facial interfaces? My boyfriend has such a goofy shaped head... he has to max out the IPD, and his face is pretty flat so the mask is resting on his temples, and I can stick my whole hand into the gap in the top of the CV1... plus he's wearing glasses, so it's exerting even more pressure on his temples.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Republicans posted:

I want this so bad

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

foutre posted:

This is the best idea (although maybe War for the Overworld is more likely, given EA's mobile port). I can't wait for more RTSes etc. to get ported to VR, I think something like co-op supreme commander would be really fun. Or any good 4x game.

I have to say, now that I've gotten my Rift, the game I'm most smitten with is Defense Grid 2: VR Edition of all things. There's something about feeling like I'm looming over a living game board, being able to lean in to look more closely, or lean out to get a bigger picture view, that just adds a major feeling of presence.

midwat
May 6, 2007

CellBlock posted:

I tried a PS VR yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It looked like the text on things like the setup/home screens was pretty aliased, but those things probably aren't meant to be viewed an inch or so from your eyeballs.

I played EVE: Valkyrie and once the game was up and running, it was quite immersive. Because a lot of the motion can be quick and a little jerky, it was somewhat disorienting at times (space combat doesn't give you the best directional references at times), but I never felt motion sickness come on or anything. (Although I'm not generally very susceptible to it, so maybe it's bad and I just wasn't bothered.)

I saw a couple of people play Battlezone, and that seemed good. Players were looking around firing the guns and stuff and nobody seemed to express any great difficulties. One guy demoed The London Heist. In the start of the demo, you're a passenger in a vehicle and can grab stuff on the dashboard, and even reach over and fiddle with the radio. (It uses Move controllers instead of just a DS4.) I feel like the graphics weren't amazing, but I was watching on a big screen; they're probably optimized for VR (and the game doesn't launch for a bit, so they might still be working on that).

They didn't have Rigs, which is what I would have liked to try.

I can definitely see it as the "mainstream" VR device, especially for people that already have PS4s. I can also confirm that it fit over my glasses with no issue, so us four-eyed gamers can strap on our big goofy-looking goggles, too.

I tried it this weekend as well and was impressed. I demoed "Headmaster" - it tracked my head movements without issue and looked pretty good. The only issue I saw was with some blurry text, but I think this is a problem across all existing HMDs these days.

It's not the high end, to be sure, but it could really popularize VR if it gets the right support.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
There aren't any PSVR demos around me, but I was able to play it at Pax East. I think I might have gotten lucky because I ended up with Rigs one day and Rez the next.

Rez was perfect in that form, that's a definite buy when it comes out.

Rigs was much better than I anticipated. It was my first time trying out any of this generation of VR equipment, so that first time looking down and seeing a different body was a strange experience. It had aim assistance, but aiming with your head felt really natural. Using the DS4 to move around wasn't weird at all, either.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

hello guys

I read the OP which is most informative, but having absolutely zero experience with VR, I would like some opinions.

I am very intrigued by the concept, but seen that the prices are so steep it's not really an impulse buy; first of all, is it worth the admission price? Computing power is no issue, if my rig can't run it it's time for a new rig :v:

Considering that the only game I currently own that can do VR is Elite, and other games I normally play are mostly 4X/grand strategy, a few racing/space flying games and RPGs/adventures (including say Assassin's Creed and similar games) - does it make sense to get a headset?

How does the future look for games? Will most games support VR, or will it remain a novelty relegated to specifically-designed games?

I like to be comfortable and play seated down, I own a HOTAS, a racing wheel and a joypad and I never liked motion controllers like PS3 Move or the Wii. Also the PC room is under the roof and so has a slanted ceiling, it's not regular-shaped - would it be a problem for the tracking?

The room kinda looks like this, with less bed and more gaming equipment/TV:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 29, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're waffling and not really excited by VR right now, it might be best to wait. If you can't justify spending 6-800 dollars on a device you might not use all the time, don't get VR. Try to get a demo somewhere or find someone in your area with VR and see if you can try it out. For someone like me who first started off in VR with the Rift DK2, the current headsets are super awesome because the quality has stepped up since my first headset. While I'm sitting here like "This resolution is awesome," people who have never tried VR complain about the resolution. This is mostly for things like flight sims and racing sims. People are used to triple screen setups so going to a VR headset is a drastic lowering of resolution for them.

If you only want to do seated games, the Rift might be your best bet. FOV is a bit smaller than the Vive but it has better clarity which you'll want if you're playing Elite Dangerous or playing racing sims. The tracking will be easier because you just throw a camera on your desk and get to it. It's also technically cheaper since it has no motion controllers included. You really should try motion controllers at some point. Try to get a vive demo somewhere and try out some of the games. A lot of VR games sound completely stupid until you actually try them out and you realize that a dumb concept can be really fun when you're physically doing things in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TorakFade posted:

hello guys

I read the OP which is most informative, but having absolutely zero experience with VR, I would like some opinions.

I am very intrigued by the concept, but seen that the prices are so steep it's not really an impulse buy; first of all, is it worth the admission price? Computing power is no issue, if my rig can't run it it's time for a new rig :v:

Considering that the only game I currently own that can do VR is Elite, and other games I normally play are mostly 4X/grand strategy, a few racing/space flying games and RPGs/adventures (including say Assassin's Creed and similar games) - does it make sense to get a headset?

How does the future look for games? Will most games support VR, or will it remain a novelty relegated to specifically-designed games?

I like to be comfortable and play seated down, I own a HOTAS, a racing wheel and a joypad and I never liked motion controllers like PS3 Move or the Wii. Also the PC room is under the roof and so has a slanted ceiling, it's not regular-shaped - would it be a problem for the tracking?

The room kinda looks like this, with less bed and more gaming equipment/TV:

Right now, there's basically two sorts of VR games; conventional-ish games that use a VR headset for 3D and presence (Lucky's Tale, Blazerush, Chronos, etc), and games specially designed for VR that try to literally put you in the game (Vanishing Realms, The Climb, Fantastic Contraption, etc). There's a sort of middle ground between the two with simulator games that put you in a cockpit or driver's seat.

In the future, I'd expect more support for the first group, as developers decide to add VR modes to their games, but the second group pretty much requires either being designed from the start for VR or major changes to an existing game (like Fallout 4). While there will certainly be games in the second group for the foreseeable future, the limited market might mean it remains more the domain of Indie games than big AAA stuff.

Simulators, luckily, aren't as difficult to adapt to VR, and I'd be pretty surprised if many going forward don't at least offer basic VR support.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 29, 2016