Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Speedball posted:

It may make your own movements slower overall but you can pull the trigger much faster and with much more accuracy than you normally could, because real-life-you's reactions are still in normal speed. What would be blindly firing wildly at close quarters or panic shooting at distant targets in normal speed becomes deadly with slowed-down time.

Add in some Psycho and you got yerself a cocktail right there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zephyrine posted:

Sell me on Jet. I never use it either because while making enemies slower. It also makes my own movements slower as well.

It does actually let you fire your weapon faster. If you get ambushed by an assaultron or a sentry bot or something, Jet can let you empty your Combat Shotgun into it before it has a chance to inflict significant damage on you, and you can dodge out of the way of its attacks while doing it.

Psychojet is easy mode for boss fights.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Boy do I love me some PyschoJet.

But him yelling gently caress YEAH while the entire house is asleep does me no favors.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Are there any must have mods or mods that are good for the first time play through?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Any mods will disable achievements, so here's my Top 6

Achievements: Requires F4SE (a script extender) but re-enables Achievements on modded saved games http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465/
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch: Fixes some bugs Bethesda is too busy to fix http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/
Raider Overhaul: Gives raiders a lot more flavor and gives you some new clothing/armor options http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9103/
Super Mutant Redux: Gives Supermutants a lot more flavor and gives one of your companions some new clothing/armor options http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11853/
Synth Overhaul CAST: Gives Synths a lot more flavor and gives you a shitload more armor options that look 200% better than the default Synth armor: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9525/
Don't Call Me Settler: Adds a bunch of settlement options that really should have been in the base game to begin with - mostly notifications and naming functions http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11306/

If you're starting a brand new game, Honorable Mention goes to Unique Uniques, which is best used at the very start of the game - changes some unique weapons to actually look and act unique http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15139/

Once you start building settlements, all kids gloves come off and you're going to be trawling Nexus for object packs for hours. But this will at least get you started!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How do you get to and from the Prydwen in survival mode where you can't fast travel?

I know that eventually you get access to vertiberds and can presumbly use those, but I mean before that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Orange Sunshine posted:

How do you get to and from the Prydwen in survival mode where you can't fast travel?

I know that eventually you get access to vertiberds and can presumbly use those, but I mean before that.

There's a vertibird parked near the airport flight control tower (upstairs from the supply depot), that will take you up to the Prydwen.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Orange Sunshine posted:

Go to the airport and you'll get a vertibird transport that only takes you there and back.

In other news, I wanted to shame my buddy publically so here it is

quote:

19:42 - Friend: Tried playing FO4 again
19:42 - Friend: Shot a Raider 4 times with a 10MM Pistol and he was at half-health
19:42 - Friend: He shot me once with a pipe pistol and my leg exploded / I died
19:42 - Friend: So that was the end of that for me lol
19:43 - Me: well i mean
19:43 - Me: thats the surivival damage multiplier for ya
19:43 - Friend: No I get it
19:43 - Friend: But I should be able to shoot him 4 times with a superior weapon
19:43 - Friend: And him shoot me once with an inferior weapon and I get one-shot
19:43 - Me: have you tried killing him and taking his weapon
19:44 - Friend: I just don't think FO4 is for me.
19:44 - Me: so you died once at low level and the game isn't for you
19:44 - Me: okay, got it
19:44 - Me: :P
19:44 - Friend: I mean I played the game a decent amount before Survival Mode
19:44 - Friend: But again, I shot him FOUR times
19:44 - Friend: And he was at half health
19:44 - Me: in the face?
19:44 - Friend: 10MM Pistol > Pipe Pistol
19:45 - Friend: Chest mainly
19:45 - Friend: Doesn't matter, game isn't for me so I'm not going to bother trying to force it lol
19:45 - Me: ok.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Seems like a pretty reasonable complaint. Why shouldn't a person die if you shoot them 4 times in the chest with a large caliber pistol.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Add in some Psycho and you got yerself a cocktail right there!

Yup!

Nerd Rage is essentially "Emergency Dose of Psychojet". I need to play a character with Nerd Rage again, it's very handy.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The potato crisps you can make with the food factory are the same as the ones you find, that is they give you 7 rads, heal for poo poo and are worth nothing.
So far I've found InstaMash, Blamco Brand Mac and Cheese and Sugarbombs to be the only ones worth it to make. I find it weird that they didn't give you any actual good recipes to make, noodle cups are still the best by far both by effect and cost to make.
Everything about the factories/conveyor belts is so janky. Why don't the rollers work for small pieces, why are the belt turns so goddamn big, why is there no sorters that can be used in other directions, why is there no belt that can join 2 belts together? Trying to line up a belt to drop stuff on a belt below is insanely hard.

Also, most of the ammunition recipes needs lead and it is quite rare and when you do find it it is super heavy for the amount you get. Buying shipments of lead and copper to make ammunition loses you money too, I just wanted to be an ammunition millionaire.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lead comes in great amounts in all the blown out gyms you can find. I think the Mr. Handy showcase has a ton.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Sell me on Jet. I never use it either because while making enemies slower. It also makes my own movements slower as well.

If you have Brahmin in your settlements, it's incredibly easy to make jet in very large quantities, since fertilizer + plastic = jet. Carry around a ton of jet, all time, it's only 0.1 pounds. Assign jet to a hotkey (if you're on pc at least) and then just press that hotkey to slow time all the time, every battle. If you are ever short on caps, just sell some of the jet you carry around, it's worth a good amount. Embrace life as a druglord of the wastes.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Inzombiac posted:

Lead comes in great amounts in all the blown out gyms you can find. I think the Mr. Handy showcase has a ton.
Not really great amounts, and it is super heavy. I raided the boxing gym by Pickmans gallery earlier today, made out with like 60 pieces totaling around 200 pounds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TjyvTompa posted:

Not really great amounts, and it is super heavy. I raided the boxing gym by Pickmans gallery earlier today, made out with like 60 pieces totaling around 200 pounds.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were one of those idiots who plays with realistic carry weights. ;)

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ILyCRCCBM

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wish I could get figures on how often Bloody Mess gives you a double kill, come to think of it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Otacon posted:

Super Mutant Redux: Gives Supermutants a lot more flavor and gives one of your companions some new clothing/armor options http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11853/

Why would Nightkin even be a thing in Boston? It's exactly the sort of thing people would be jerking themselves off to about how stupid Bethesda at ~lore~ if it had been vanilla.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

She sure is Jun. She sure is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magmarashi posted:

Why would Nightkin even be a thing in Boston? It's exactly the sort of thing people would be jerking themselves off to about how stupid Bethesda at ~lore~ if it had been vanilla.

It looks like the mod adds them for gameplay purposes.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

It looks like the mod adds them for gameplay purposes.

My point still stands. We'd have been grousing if they had done it for any reason.

poo poo, we WERE grousing about the fact that Super Mutants were in Boston (and Far Harbor).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Magmarashi posted:

Don't sweat it too much. Super Mutants can change a good amount between games and Nightkin are too cool to pass up.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Don't sweat it too much. Super Mutants can change a good amount between games and Nightkin are too cool to pass up.

I mean, I dig the mod. They look great in the style.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Otacon posted:

I only use Jet during the last part of the Silver Shroud quest

That seems like a bad trade off. Does Kent reward you with two jets afterwards?

Also I think Kenji is a bit fast on the trigger for someone who has so much health to begin with.

You would think that a bullet to the face would throw his aim off or at least buy me a few more seconds.

Though raiders over all do defy all reason. In an age where most single bullet wounds would probably be lethal due to lack of proper medical treatment (game balanced one injection curing broken legs not withstanding) Raiders seem near suicidal in their goal to steal petty possessions or just out of spite.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 28, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

125 years is plenty of time for some mutants to wander from one side of the country to the other.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Far Harbor is really terrible. I can't believe what a slog of lazy crappy missions this is and it runs like dogshit on PS4. I have been working my way through it for a month and I can't bring myself to play it for more than 30 minutes at time it's so boring. So far I'd say the hotel was a cool building and the vault would have been decent if the mission wasn't all hosed up and that's the closest thing I can give to a compliment. For reference I loved FO4, this poo poo is just so boring.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Jesus christ survival must be what playing on console is like. ~1hr into my game Dogmeat is injured and stuck in level geometry so I can never heal him and I can't use the console to fix it.

e: entering an interior cell and then going back out made Dogmeat entirely disappear, possibly making the game unfinishable, so I reloaded an earlier save.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 28, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Get the mod to enable the console in survival. There's also an option for fast travel which I turn on once I join the institute because they have teleportation I should be able to go wherever.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Seashell Salesman posted:

Jesus christ survival must be what playing on console is like. ~1hr into my game Dogmeat is injured and stuck in level geometry so I can never heal him and I can't use the console to fix it.

e: entering an interior cell and then going back out made Dogmeat entirely disappear, possibly making the game unfinishable, so I reloaded an earlier save.

If you leave dogmeat without healing him you will receive a tiny tiny message for about half a second that says he has returned to the settlement where you last assigned him, Red Rocket if you haven't assigned him anywhere. Don't worry though, you can still complete the game even though he has disappeared since he will teleport to Kellogs house when you need him. Sometimes he just disappears even though he is still "with" you, talk with another companion and ask them to follow you, the meny to dismiss dogmeat will appear and you can send him to a settlement. Usually works, except the last time I did this, dogmeat is now nowhere to be found in my game, cool.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, I haven't played in awhile. I quit sometime before any of the dlc came out because I made myself angry trying to convert the Red Rocket near Sanctuary into a badass man-cave and failing horribly due to any combination of "my own lack of skill" and "the jankiness of the settlement builder controls"
So, my question is, have they done anything in recent updates to make the settlement building less of a pain in the rear end? I'm on the PS4, so mods aren't an option.
I've been itching to play again, and I really want to build settlements, but I don't want to spend all night trying to build a fence that attaches to the ground instead of shooting into the air at a 45° angle.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Honestly, it's Fallout 4's fault for thinking there needed to be a new justification for there being Super Mutants in Boston. The Super Mutants literally should just be Mutants who migrated from the West Coast and DC Area like all of those non-native scorpions or deatclaws and iguanas.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Seashell Salesman posted:

Seems like a pretty reasonable complaint. Why shouldn't a person die if you shoot them 4 times in the chest with a large caliber pistol.

Not if they have chest armor

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. X6-88 remains a party member if you go for the Railroad ending. He's just pissed. Interesting.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Suave Fedora posted:

Not if they have chest armor

It's an immersion issue that many FPS-RPGs face.

Borderlands had it worse than most because they also wanted the enemies balanced for multiplayer. Hence a sniper class more often than not found themselves at point blank range, firing repeatedly for the head just to achieve "maximum DPS"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Speedball posted:

Huh. X6-88 remains a party member if you go for the Railroad ending. He's just pissed. Interesting.

Yeah, companions are really just robots with a little flavor text. That's why I only roll with Dogmeat and an Assaultron because they love everything I do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, companions are really just robots with a little flavor text. That's why I only roll with Dogmeat and an Assaultron because they love everything I do.

I love it when my Assaultron yells "Pathetic humans! I have not been programmed to fail!"

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, it's Fallout 4's fault for thinking there needed to be a new justification for there being Super Mutants in Boston. The Super Mutants literally should just be Mutants who migrated from the West Coast and DC Area like all of those non-native scorpions or deatclaws and iguanas.

Did you miss the mission where you find the institute was responsible for making the super mutants in the first place?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

Did you miss the mission where you find the institute was responsible for making the super mutants in the first place?

loving what

Like they created fev?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

loving what

Yup, there's a whole lab full of super mutant bodies hidden in Bioscience. The Institute has been grinding out Super Mutants for decades and just dumping them on the surface when they're done.

They like to talk about how the surface is a hellhole but they're most of the reason the Commonwealth is that way. Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Speedball posted:

Yup, there's a whole lab full of super mutant bodies hidden in Bioscience. The Institute has been grinding out Super Mutants for decades and just dumping them on the surface when they're done.

They like to talk about how the surface is a hellhole but they're most of the reason the Commonwealth is that way. Assholes.
The Institute is like the Caesar's Legion path except nobody cares about the Commonwealth and plus they only mangle genes instead of rape women so being pro-Institute isn't quite as mortally offensive

• Locked thread