Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Recently at work, we switched over to en entirely new register system, which meant everyone had to be completely re-trained. That's all good and fine.

What's NOT fine is that the store didn't allocate any extra labor budget for this training, so now we "have no money" (read: they refuse to pay for it) to actually staff the loving place, so we've been running on a skeleton crew all week. So we have hardly anyone working, on registers that we're all still uncertain about how to use. It's been a massive poo poo-show. Management is usually up our asses to never have more than 2 people waiting in each line, but all this week there have consistently been 6+ people waiting at each open checkstand. Naturally, our customers are completely pissed off, but instead of trying to fix it, management says we're still spending too much on labor and we need to send people home early whenever we can.

This entire loving mess is my pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
More dream talk peeves. People who want to talk about dreams and then don't believe me when I tell them I can count the number of dreams I've remembered after waking up on one hand, maybe both if you count fever dreams. I just don't remember my dreams and I'm not going to waste time making poo poo up just because you want to compare dreams or whatever the gently caress.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nettles Coterie posted:

This entire loving mess is my pet peeve.

Sounds like someone is trying to pump up the numbers for the quarterly report. Manager gets a bonus for the gains, and doesn't care that he just lost the store a bunch of customers in the long term, because he'll probably use that "success" to move on to another company and repeat the process.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The phrase "It's better than nothing!" when what is being proposed is clearly worse than nothing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You Are A Elf posted:

People that dilly dally with their shopping carts in stores. You know the kind: slowly shuffling down the exact middle of each aisle so no one can pass them while resting their arms on the grab bar of the cart in a relaxed position. Oh look! They found something on the shelf! *parks cart sideways across the entire aisle while proceeding to read everything on the label for the next ten minutes*

GET THE HOLY MOTHERFUCK ASSBALLS OUT OF THE WAY!! :argh:

You're an extremely old person; your legs bend like an L at the ankle. You're cashing out at the grocery store after shuffling about the store for three hours. Now that you have the receipt from your check, you can shuffle towards the door. Better check the newspapers on the way out, you don't need to get close, though, just stop the cart and lean in. Now, shuffle again! Shuffle! Okay, now you're in the doorway, you can stop your cart again! Everything has to go back into your wallet now, although you may check the receipt and blow your nose in it first if you like. Don't rush this step, the doorway was designed for interminably long transitions. What is this in your pocket? And the other? So much to keep track of these days. This is why you don't let your daughter help you shop, she doesn't keep careful track like you do. Those coupons you clipped didn't even get used last time, who knows what she spent? It was her money, yeah, but she's wasteful. Anyhow, you should gather all the bags together like you're going to carry them at this point, but don't: you're taking the cart at minimum speed all the way out to your Lincoln. Speaking of which, where are your keys? Check all your pockets. And those giant sunglasses, gotta check your pockets for--WHOA, who is this rear end in a top hat pushing past you? Did they even bother looking? Nobody has any respect anymore.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

You're an extremely old person; your legs bend like an L at the ankle. You're cashing out at the grocery store after shuffling about the store for three hours. Now that you have the receipt from your check, you can shuffle towards the door. Better check the newspapers on the way out, you don't need to get close, though, just stop the cart and lean in. Now, shuffle again! Shuffle! Okay, now you're in the doorway, you can stop your cart again! Everything has to go back into your wallet now, although you may check the receipt and blow your nose in it first if you like. Don't rush this step, the doorway was designed for interminably long transitions. What is this in your pocket? And the other? So much to keep track of these days. This is why you don't let your daughter help you shop, she doesn't keep careful track like you do. Those coupons you clipped didn't even get used last time, who knows what she spent? It was her money, yeah, but she's wasteful. Anyhow, you should gather all the bags together like you're going to carry them at this point, but don't: you're taking the cart at minimum speed all the way out to your Lincoln. Speaking of which, where are your keys? Check all your pockets. And those giant sunglasses, gotta check your pockets for--WHOA, who is this rear end in a top hat pushing past you? Did they even bother looking? Nobody has any respect anymore.

Please don't do this to my blood pressure, thanks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"What do you want to do {about food, a movie to see, or pretty much anything ever}?"

"I don't know, what do you want to do?"

I love this woman, but man, if we had to decide on something important and time-critical, the world would be hosed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MisterBibs posted:

"What do you want to do {about food, a movie to see, or pretty much anything ever}?"

I love this woman, but man, if we had to decide on something important and time-critical, the world would be hosed.

The worst part is when you finally give in an make your own decision, they will be like "oh no i HATE it there" and be mad at you for thinking of it and finally cough up the place where they actually want to go.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

The worst part is when you finally give in an make your own decision, they will be like "oh no i HATE it there" and be mad at you for thinking of it and finally cough up the place where they actually want to go.

We don't have that issue, thankfully. We have similar enough interests in most things that there's no real failure state, it's just the deciding that locks us up.

If I wasn't clear, the pet peeve isn't that she's a non-decider, it's that we both are like that.

The current Big Decision We Have Deadlocked On is dinner/movie for the night. Which movie to see, where to see it, and have dinner at the theater or have dinner after the movie.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Brawnfire posted:

It's not always old people doing it. Can't forget the morbidly obese and just plain oblivious to their surroundings people.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

You Are A Elf posted:

People that dilly dally with their shopping carts in stores. You know the kind: slowly shuffling down the exact middle of each aisle so no one can pass them while resting their arms on the grab bar of the cart in a relaxed position. Oh look! They found something on the shelf! *parks cart sideways across the entire aisle while proceeding to read everything on the label for the next ten minutes*

GET THE HOLY MOTHERFUCK ASSBALLS OUT OF THE WAY!! :argh:

This is my wife. I refuse to shop with her. She moves at about a foot per minute and looks at everything as if she doesn't know what she wants. I do produce, meat, dairy, done! She insists on walking every aisle in the store at a snails pace.

"Oh, those lymph nodes with smoked oysters canned in ajvar, bean paste, and rat poison look interesting. I wonder if I should stare at them forever even though I'm only here to buy mac and cheese."

I love her dearly but I just can't deal with it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gah, that's someone I know as well, except I don't have the guts to refuse. They also like to go shopping every single day, or even multiple times some days. So much wasted time. :smithicide:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

MisterBibs posted:

I understand that some people have genuine mental issues that prevent them from making choices but I just cannot accept it. The idea of going to a restaurant and being paralysed by deciding what you want to eat is so strange to me and there's part of my brain that just can't accept it's a real problem and the person I'm with must be making this poo poo up for attention.

Anyway, my ex had this issue where she just could not decide on anything so I would give her a binary choice (eg. do you want a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder? Do you want to see movie A or movie B?) and then count to three and if she hadn't decided by three I'd choose for her. It worked well enough but ymmv, obviously.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cyberia posted:

I understand that some people have genuine mental issues that prevent them from making choices but I just cannot accept it. The idea of going to a restaurant and being paralysed by deciding what you want to eat is so strange to me and there's part of my brain that just can't accept it's a real problem and the person I'm with must be making this poo poo up for attention.

It doesn't bother me too much, but I can't understand it either. You've known for days that we were coming to this restaurant, you know what type of food they serve, you've had a menu in front of you for long enough for the waiter to take our drink orders and come back with the drinks, why do you need more time? What have you been doing?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Since it's very relevant to this thread, people who think everything everyone else says or does is about them personally. It annoys me to no end when you hear through the grapevine Suzy Bedwetter is upset because you talked about going hiking when you knew she had a bad back and it made her feel bad. Or you brought kolaches for the office and you must have been trying to offend Snowflake Jones because you knew she is trying to lose weight.

Christ, people. Literally no one except your mother and your spouse think about you at all ever. You're not a factor in anything anyone else does.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

The current Big Decision We Have Deadlocked On is
Looks like you accidentally typed "forums.somethingawful.com" instead of "tvtropes.org" into your address bar

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

"How about (restaurant)?"

"I don't want that."

"Oh ok, maybe (another restaurant)?"

"I don't want that either."

"Ok then, what DO you want?"

"I don't know, GOD why are you being such an rear end?"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Looks like you accidentally typed "forums.somethingawful.com" instead of "tvtropes.org" into your address bar

I was doing the whole "defining nebulous things by capitalizing them" thing long before that site existed, thank you very much. :colbert:

E: my related peeve was how long it took me to realize how hosed up that place/community is. I just read and added some poo poo from time to time, but until the mock thread here actually forced me to look at their forums, I had no idea. I knew they were spergy list-makers, but ew.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Jun 28, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bradzilla posted:

"I don't want that."

I get this in my relationship, I'll suggest a place and receive a look like I suggested a gangbang shack in the woods. So then I'll be like "okay, then you choose" only to rget "why do I always have to decide?" Maybe because you shoot down more poo poo than an AA gun?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It drives me goddamn bonkers when I'm driving down the road at night, see someone without their lights on, flash mine off/on a few times, and they still don't motherfucking turn them on

"gee golly darlene, i can't see for poo poo and this guy keeps flashing his lights at me, i wonder what that's all about"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Didn't you know, that's a gang initiation tactic, you're lucky the thugs didn't turn around and run you off the road/shoot you like the facebook posts middle aged people have been sharing on facebook for years say.

Pet peeve: extremely gullible people. The gullible part isn't necessarily bad, but the ones that annoy me are the many that when confronted with the truth just dig deeper and say "it doesn't matter if it really happened, you can never be too careful! this might save a life one day! (etc)"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bradzilla posted:

"I don't want that."

poo poo like this makes me want to put my head through a wall. Resorting to a frustrated "gently caress it, I'm getting <x>, YOU can buy whatever you want for yourself" usually ends it pretty quick. Amazing how fast decisions get made when people realize they have to be responsible for their own choices. And if it's not the whole "I don't know/don't want that" argument, it's them trying to pressure you into something they want and not backing down:

"I want to go to <expensive place>"

"I'm not in the mood for that and it's super expensive"

"Oh come on, let's go there, I really like it!"

"I already said I don't want to go there"

"YOU NEVER WANT TO DO WHAT I LIKE"

:fuckoff: with that bullshit. 9 out of 10 times it ends up with us always doing something THEY want, but the second we suggest something or say no, they turn into loving whiny toddlers with no self control.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Aggressive assholes that want me to know exactly what I want when I'm not even thinking about dinner. If I say I don't care, I do. Not. Care. Stop listing restaurants at me, it's not helpful. gently caress off and eat alone if you can't wait for me to figure out what I want.

And gently caress you forever if you go out to a place knowing you'll hate it, just to placate someone. You'll be a snarky rear end all night and ruin things. Just stay at home if compromise is too difficult.

Edit for related peeve: Listing everything we have in the house/every restaurant/every movie out right now while I'm trying to get my mind together to make a decision? gently caress that, don't do that. Now I have options I didn't think about before and you just shot yourself in the foot.

Being patient is just a lost art.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

fizzymercy posted:

Aggressive assholes that want me to know exactly what I want when I'm not even thinking about dinner. If I say I don't care, I do. Not. Care. Stop listing restaurants at me, it's not helpful. gently caress off and eat alone if you can't wait for me to figure out what I want.

And gently caress you forever if you go out to a place knowing you'll hate it, just to placate someone. You'll be a snarky rear end all night and ruin things. Just stay at home if compromise is too difficult.

Edit for related peeve: Listing everything we have in the house/every restaurant/every movie out right now while I'm trying to get my mind together to make a decision? gently caress that, don't do that. Now I have options I didn't think about before and you just shot yourself in the foot.

Being patient is just a lost art.

Why do you "need to get your mind together" to decide what you want to eat? Just pick something for gently caress sake.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Because I don't think about food 24/7 and I generally have to think for a bit about what I want if I'm asked. Like two minutes would be plenty of time, but no just stand there and wait for it. Impatiently. And you know what? I might just not goddamn have an opinion and would be totally fine with anything. Everyone assumes this is a lie to placate them. It's not. CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Noctone posted:

It drives me goddamn bonkers when I'm driving down the road at night, see someone without their lights on, flash mine off/on a few times, and they still don't motherfucking turn them on

"gee golly darlene, i can't see for poo poo and this guy keeps flashing his lights at me, i wonder what that's all about"

Or they have their daytime lamps on and are all "duhhhh why you flashing me I can see just fine!" when no one can see them from behind because it's loving 10 at night and your loving taillights are not on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

Because I don't think about food 24/7 and I generally have to think for a bit about what I want if I'm asked. Like two minutes would be plenty of time, but no just stand there and wait for it. Impatiently. And you know what? I might just not goddamn have an opinion and would be totally fine with anything. Everyone assumes this is a lie to placate them. It's not. CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF.

It's lazy. When someone tells me that I just know that if the place I pick out isn't perfect I'll be raked over the coals for it. My mom does this all the time when I come back home to visit. "Oh honey let's just go to the place that makes you happy, I don't care really all I care about is ____", and then afterwards you catch her saying "oh i HATED it, that place is awful". You are not a robot, you have an opinion, stop waiting for someone to punch some commands into your keypad for you to offer an opinion.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Or they have their daytime lamps on and are all "duhhhh why you flashing me I can see just fine!" when no one can see them from behind because it's loving 10 at night and your loving taillights are not on.

yuuuuup

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
When I say choose for yourself, I mean go eat without me I'm clearly not in the mood to play the food game. Maybe I'm just more okay eating alone or just not giving a poo poo about what I eat so long as it's food? Dunno but I'm not being passive aggressive. I. don't. care.

People doing what your mom does (my mom does this) get to me enough that I understand why people don't trust it, I'll admit that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

fizzymercy posted:

When I say choose for yourself, I mean go eat without me I'm clearly not in the mood to play the food game. Maybe I'm just more okay eating alone or just not giving a poo poo about what I eat so long as it's food? Dunno but I'm not being passive aggressive. I. don't. care.

This probably puts you square in the minority of people - more often than not, someone goes out without their S.O. because said person can't decide, then comes home to a hungry, whiny, angry S.O. who's suddenly pissed off that you left without them and didn't bring anything back for them to eat. If you're cool eating alone without your partner, that's great - it's when people claim to be fine with it, then hold a lovely grudge later because of some perceived slight.

It's perfectly okay to not be hungry or not be in the mood for something, but most people can't bother to communicate that poo poo properly and expect someone else to decide for them, while simultaneously stonewalling every suggestion they give. THAT bullshit is intolerable and the reason people lose their patience.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I see your point, I really never thought about how much other people pull the passive aggressive eating poo poo. I just thought it wasn't as widespread as it seems to be.

People care far too much about food, and doubly so what other people eat.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

What, you guys can't just read your dinner partner's minds? Jeez, they taught that poo poo like, day one at relationship academy. Get on my level squares :smug:

on a serious note, if your partner shoots down your suggestion, drive the car off a cliff

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This probably puts you square in the minority of people - more often than not, someone goes out without their S.O. because said person can't decide, then comes home to a hungry, whiny, angry S.O. who's suddenly pissed off that you left without them and didn't bring anything back for them to eat. If you're cool eating alone without your partner, that's great - it's when people claim to be fine with it, then hold a lovely grudge later because of some perceived slight.

It's perfectly okay to not be hungry or not be in the mood for something, but most people can't bother to communicate that poo poo properly and expect someone else to decide for them, while simultaneously stonewalling every suggestion they give. THAT bullshit is intolerable and the reason people lose their patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGEiIL1__s&t=67s

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The phrase, "That's the $64,000 question", meaning 'that's what we can't figure out', or 'that's the crux of the problem'

It's from Who Wants to be a Millionaire right?

The $32,000 question was the milestone - the one that if you missed it, you'd get $1000 instead. The $64,000 was the one that didn't matter, because you could take a free guess with no penalty.

I'm I wrong in thinking it means, "the important question"? Does it actually means something else?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Captain Lavender posted:

The phrase, "That's the $64,000 question", meaning 'that's what we can't figure out', or 'that's the crux of the problem'

It's from Who Wants to be a Millionaire right?

The $32,000 question was the milestone - the one that if you missed it, you'd get $1000 instead. The $64,000 was the one that didn't matter, because you could take a free guess with no penalty.

I'm I wrong in thinking it means, "the important question" when it actually means something else?

My personal pet peeve: people who can't take two seconds to google the obvious answer to something they're clueless about.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There was an old game show called The $64,000 Pyramid. Show's long gone, phrase stuck around.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Well how bout that.

EDIT: Man, I watched the pyramid. Must've just completely forgot.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Any inconsiderate emission of anything, particularly sound.

The "yuk-yuk" or "HONK" (followed by an optional second "HONK") when someone locks their car. This is the first thing I turn off when getting a new car. I realize that that's too much to ask from 99% of people, but if you do this, I have nothing but high regard for you.

Those cheap car alarms that go through 10 distinct "ringtones", for lack of a better word. I'm sure they have a name which I don't know. The sure sign of a cheap and dumb person. Fortunately they're becoming less common.

Any cell phone usage at the movies. Humans cannot ignore bright lights in their peripheral vision, you're going to distract others from the movies. Made me reduce my theater visits from about 30 to one or two per year, at carefully selected theaters, times of day and seats. Instead of "silence your cell phones" the theaters should say "turn off your cell phones, tablets and anything else that emits light or get the gently caress out".

Probably very controversial: Dear $Band_having_a_concert, I can hear you very well, no need to turn the volume up so much. Turn it up about as loud as like a movie theater, but no louder. Thanks!

Also controversial with some people, but it gets me going: Actual (i.e. waving fabric) American flags on cars. (Substitute for national flag of whatever country you're in). Exception for end of WWII or other occasions. Otherwise this looks to me like somebody trying to prove a point by being "more patriotic than thou, in you face". (Flags at home are okay.)

Noctone posted:

My personal pet peeve: people who can't take two seconds to google the obvious answer to something they're clueless about.

100% :agreed:.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

flavor posted:

Any inconsiderate emission of anything, particularly sound.

If you are sitting in a cubicle, and your phone is on your desk or in your pocket or in your stupid hip holster, YOU DO NOT NEED TO KEEP THE RINGER ON. This drives me nuts. Keep it on vibrate, you will hear/feel/see it go off I promise.

Even if you need to hear it, mute the loving thing until you're done with your text conversation. I don't need to hear your witty text message tone every 3 seconds goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Being offered a beer from people I have untold times told I don't like beer, it's always the same people and it's gotten to the point I don't consider them being polite for the offer because how many times do they need to be told to stop offering me something that I find revolting? God dam I'm probably the only person they know who doesn't like it how is it that hard to remember? I drink absolutely everything else just offer me a glass of warm water instead I would much rather have that.

And on the food front, the big hooha people make over steak, I've never been able to wrap my mind around the big deal people make over a boring piece of meat, stop talking about how much you hate well done steak you sound like a dickhead for caring that much about a piece of food god dam. I don't know why people seem to like it so much, and before anyone chimes in with "well you have clearly never had a good cut of steak" I've had cheap poo poo, expensive poo poo and everything in between, and i'm still confounded how much people care about it.