Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Scott Addams literally lost the ability to speak through a neural disorder and then affirmationed it back again, so I can't blame him for believing that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

At least we're getting a good example of what happens when you lose this game across the pond.

Excellent point. So very thoughtful of the Brits to do so.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, I'm aware of that. It's a deliberate strategy. The Republicans have been actively trying to burn down the country for electoral gain.

Things that "need to get done" are the basic functions of government that are as apolitical as it gets. Things like increasing the debt ceiling, passing appropriations bills, appointing judges, and the rest. We've had a couple debt ceiling crises and complete governmental shutdowns from the Republicans because they think playing chicken with the the existence of the country is a useful electoral strategy.

The traditional role of the "loyal opposition" has been to acknowledge the results of an election. The President and his party won, he gets to enact his programs, and their job is to shape it as best they can to minimize the damage to their ideological goals. The next cycle they get to try again and elect their own guy. That is how a normal government has operated prior to Newt Gingrich showing up.

Using Congressional power to attempt to negate an election is new, and extremely dangerous.

Fig A. https://twitter.com/grabmybutstick/status/747814531733172224

I'll grant this is just one (particularly stupid) example, but the attitude that "libruls" (read: centrists) are inherently passive and lazy seems pretty pervasive lately. Why, they don't even treat every conflict as a struggle to the death, the spineless worms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Scott Addams literally lost the ability to speak through a neural disorder and then affirmationed it back again, so I can't blame him for believing that poo poo.

Which disorder removes the ability to write blogs

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

haveblue posted:

At least we're getting a good example of what happens when you lose this game across the pond.

Cameron tried a bit of classical Republican brinkmanship but the westminister system doesn't really lend itself well to that style of politics because they don't have the built in safeguards that prevent something like Brexit from happening in the United States

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Deteriorata posted:

Things that "need to get done" are the basic functions of government that are as apolitical as it gets. Things like increasing the debt ceiling, passing appropriations bills, appointing judges, and the rest. We've had a couple debt ceiling crises and complete governmental shutdowns from the Republicans because they think playing chicken with the the existence of the country is a useful electoral strategy.

Wait, are you seriously suggesting that court appointments are apolitical? The GOP is desperately opposing a SCOTUS appointment because a court stacked against them will make their long term political goals almost impossible to achieve.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

greatn posted:

Someone on my Facebook feed unironically thinks Scott Adams is the coolest guy and doesn't believe me when I tell him this sort of stuff. It's there a link talking about this?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, are you seriously suggesting that court appointments are apolitical? The GOP is desperately opposing a SCOTUS appointment because a court stacked against them will make their long term political goals almost impossible to achieve.

Elections have consequences.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
They've been blocking tons more than just SCOTUS appointments and they almost unanimously voted garland in to a lower court :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It's as apolitical as it gets, as I said. Courts need judges. Not having them means a basic function of government breaks down.

Everything is partisan to some degree. Some stuff is basic to the continuance of government, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

emdash posted:

They've been blocking tons more than just SCOTUS appointments and they almost unanimously voted garland in to a lower court :shrug:

The strategy is transparently to delay until after the presidential election, because there is a greater-than-zero chance that the elected president won't be a Democrat.

It's all a huge waste of time as long as Trump is such a clear loser, though.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
nm

Goatman Sacks fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 28, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/747844354325155840

Thanks, buddy. :unsmith:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

Didn't Adams get caught posting comments under a fake name agreeing with himself?

Yes. http://comicsalliance.com/scott-adams-plannedchaos-sockpuppet/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's called the garden state because there's a Rosenblum on every corner.

Don't do this.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

theflyingorc posted:

The strategy is transparently to delay until after the presidential election, because there is a greater-than-zero chance that the elected president won't be a Democrat.

It's all a huge waste of time as long as Trump is such a clear loser, though.

Well yeah, although mcconnell is posturing like they won't accept garland afterward either. (Won't matter, if dems take the senate.) Point was that there are appointments much less political than SCOTUS that repubs have been spite-blocking for years

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

It's as apolitical as it gets, as I said. Courts need judges. Not having them means a basic function of government breaks down.

Everything is partisan to some degree. Some stuff is basic to the continuance of government, though.

Which gets to the heart of the issue: a sizable portion of one party believes that government does not and should not function. How do you compromise with them? What middle ground is going to be acceptable? And then go ahead and add in the fact that court appointments directly affect issues like LGBT rights and abortion where even the tiniest victory for one side represents an actual loss for the other one.

I'm not defending Republican obstructionism here, I'm just pointing out that the kind of compromise you want really can't exist unless the GOP is willing to fundamentally change their stance on a large number of issues.

Edit- The bottom line here is that this isn't even close to the kind of "ideological purity" issue that comes up between Clinton and Sanders supporters. This isn't about picking the more pragmatic of two positions that are relatively close on the same policy spectrum. This is about diametrically opposed viewpoints that cut through nearly everything the government does.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Which gets to the heart of the issue: a sizable portion of one party believes that government does not and should not function. How do you compromise with them? What middle ground is going to be acceptable? And then go ahead and add in the fact that court appointments directly affect issues like LGBT rights and abortion where even the tiniest victory for one side represents an actual loss for the other one.

I'm not defending Republican obstructionism here, I'm just pointing out that the kind of compromise you want really can't exist unless the GOP is willing to fundamentally change their stance on a large number of issues.

Well, in that case the ones refusing to compromise are the Republicans, and that makes them the assholes bad guys. Their position makes any resolution impossible. Fortunately, the country has not yet been permanently damaged as the Republicans have always caved in the end and averted disaster.

If one faction genuinely refuses to cooperate in the governance of the country, everything does collapse and there's nothing we can do about it. Democratically elected nihilists are our kryptonite.

My original point was that a willingness to compromise is a virtue, and we're seeing what an unwillingness to compromise looks like. I think they've shown that it's a bad way to get what you want and should not be emulated by anyone in the future. They've gained almost nothing from it at a huge cost to the party.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

greatn posted:

Scott Addams literally lost the ability to speak through a neural disorder and then affirmationed it back again*, so I can't blame him for believing that poo poo.

*Note: actually just recovered like most people who get the disorder did, and the affirmations was just one of many wacky things he tried during during recovery.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I forgot which forum I was posting in again!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 28, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

My original point was that a willingness to compromise is a virtue, and we're seeing what an unwillingness to compromise looks like. I think they've shown that it's a bad way to get what you want and should not be emulated by anyone in the future. They've gained almost nothing from it at a huge cost to the party.

And what I'm saying is that you're making a mistake by blaming our current state of affairs on a lack of compromise. Are you willing to compromise on same sex marriage? How about abortion? Healthcare? The whole point of compromise is to find an acceptable middle ground, which means we have to give something up too. The inability of our politicians to reach an acceptable consensus is a symptom, not the actual disease.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deteriorata posted:

Well, in that case the ones refusing to compromise are the Republicans, and that makes them the assholes bad guys. Their position makes any resolution impossible. Fortunately, the country has not yet been permanently damaged as the Republicans have always caved in the end and averted disaster.

If one faction genuinely refuses to cooperate in the governance of the country, everything does collapse and there's nothing we can do about it. Democratically elected nihilists are our kryptonite.

"It's a bad way to get what you want" is a strategic evaluation, not a moral one.

If you honestly believed (for instance) that abortion is murder, then "the Republicans have always caved in the end" is an ethical disaster, and you'd be justified in using whatever leverage you could grasp. Their electorate doesn't believe that compromise will ever achieve the goals they want to see, and frankly (and from my perspective, thankfully!) it looks like they're right. The only reason it would be morally wrong for them to commit to brinksmanship is because their position is wrong to begin with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paradoxish posted:

And what I'm saying is that you're making a mistake by blaming our current state of affairs on a lack of compromise. Are you willing to compromise on same sex marriage? How about abortion? Healthcare? The whole point of compromise is to find an acceptable middle ground, which means we have to give something up too. The inability of our politicians to reach an acceptable consensus is a symptom, not the actual disease.
I am absolutely willing to compromise on abortion. Make it illegal outside of health exceptions after twenty weeks or whatever. Require the doctor to inform the woman about possible side effects. I could keep going but you get the joke, right?

There can be no compromise on same-sex marriage because either it's legal with all rights and privileges of marriage or it isn't - you can't compromise on something binary, right?

As for healthcare, I would consider a compromise if their side presented me with actual policies rather than the nebulous handwaving plus tort reform that they've been touting literally nonstop since 2010. Seriously, point me to one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Which gets to the heart of the issue: a sizable portion of one party believes that government does not and should not function. How do you compromise with them? What middle ground is going to be acceptable? And n go ahead and add in the fact that court appointments directly affect issues like LGBT rights and abortion where even the tiniest victory for one side represents an actual loss for the other one.

Edit- The bottom line here is that this isn't even close to the kind of "ideological purity" issue that comes up between Clinton and Sanders supporters. This isn't about picking the more pragmatic of two positions that are relatively close on the same policy spectrum. This is about diametrically opposed viewpoints that cut through nearly everything the government does.

It's especially funny to argue that court appointments are just apolitical government housekeeping when people ITT have been openly talking about how they can't wait for Hillary to pack the court with liberal justices so that they can turbofuck the GoP agenda for a generation.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's especially funny to argue that court appointments are just apolitical government housekeeping when people ITT have been openly talking about how they can't wait for Hillary to pack the court with liberal justices so that they can turbofuck the GoP agenda for a generation.

it will be an unmitigated good thing, op

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah I can't wait, personally.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am absolutely willing to compromise on abortion. Make it illegal outside of health exceptions after twenty weeks or whatever. Require the doctor to inform the woman about possible side effects. I could keep going but you get the joke, right?

That's literally the official Republican line. Your compromise is "pass the anti-abortion bill as proposed by Congressional Republicans in this, the 114th Congress."

Yes, there are more extreme proposals, but that's only because the Overton window has shifted to make your "compromise" the "centrist" position when it was anything but 10 years ago.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Same sex marriage and abortion were legalized by the courts, not by Congressional compromise. On some issues that's the only way it gets resolved. Compromise positions are possible on most issues, which is the basis of incrementalism. You get a bunch of small bites and eventually get all you want. If you keep winning elections on the basis of getting more bites, you get them.

Health care was a compromise. The ACA was a bill that had been worked on bipartisanly for more than a decade and represented a middle ground that both parties supported. The Republicans turned against it deliberately just because Obama proposed it.

There are numerous instances of the Republicans vociferously opposing positions they had supported under the Bush administration (like cap and trade on carbon emissions). Their goal was negating the outcome of the 2008 election, nothing more.

It's a difference of long-term versus short-term perspective. If you believe in the rightness of your cause, you can afford to compromise because you know that in the long run you'll get what you want because you're going to be there for a while. Demanding all or nothing is a symptom of someone who thinks they won't get another chance.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah I can't wait, personally.

It's gonna be awesome, but it's also completely logical for the GOP to desperately try to stop it from happening.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh, I'm not happy that W got eight years to appoint judges that I'll have to live with for a lot longer than that, but I'm definitely happier with judges I don't agree with than no judges at all. Much like how I'd rather have a state I don't like having two senators than not being represented at all, even though I don't like that the Republicans may control the Senate because of it. Gridlock is one thing but the three branches actively being understaffed is another in my eyes. Maybe that's just me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's literally the official Republican line. Your compromise is "pass the anti-abortion bill as proposed by Congressional Republicans in this, the 114th Congress."

Yes, there are more extreme proposals, but that's only because the Overton window has shifted to make your "compromise" the "centrist" position when it was anything but 10 years ago.
:thejoke:

(I think the compromise is loving awful. Don't believe I'm backing it. But if what it takes to prevent it being completely illegalized is a time frame and some bullshit doctor warnings, then yes, I'd rather have abortion legal.)

e: :rip: double post my bad

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, the hidden underside of this is that it's as much of a battle over what is considered culturally and socially "normal" as it is over elected offices. The rule of law isn't just a manifestation of people's beliefs, it also affects them; it works both ways.

Deteriorata posted:

It's a difference of long-term versus short-term perspective. If you believe in the rightness of your cause, you can afford to compromise because you know that in the long run you'll get what you want because you're going to be there for a while. Demanding all or nothing is a symptom of someone who thinks they won't get another chance.

That's not "if you believe in the rightness of your cause," it's "if you believe that circumstances favor your cause." There's nothing about moral rightness that guarantees success or popular support, even in the long term.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 28, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:thejoke:

(I think the compromise is loving awful. Don't believe I'm backing it. But if what it takes to prevent it being completely illegalized is a time frame and some bullshit doctor warnings, then yes, I'd rather have abortion legal.)

e: :rip: double post my bad

Sorry, it's just that compromise usually means that each party actually gives up something as opposed to one party getting exactly what they proposed.

I get your general point though.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/787f24044f57480d9059628255b922bf/6m-donated-100k-children-us-see-hamilton

quote:

$6M donated for 100K children in US to see "Hamilton"

The Rockefeller Foundation says it is giving $6 million to help 100,000 school children across the U.S. see the Tony Award-winning musical "Hamilton."

The foundation said Thursday the funding would allow students as some schools in Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and the District of Columbia to see the show for $10. Plans are already in the works to open a Chicago company of "Hamilton," as well as one for London and a U.S. national tour that starts on the West Coast.

Shoot me.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is trump's speech going on right now

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, the hidden underside of this is that it's as much of a battle over what is considered culturally and socially "normal" as it is over elected offices. The rule of law isn't just a manifestation of people's beliefs, it also affects them; it works both ways.

That's not "if you believe in the rightness of your cause," it's "if you believe that circumstances favor your cause." There's nothing about moral rightness that guarantees success, even in the long term.

We seem to be talking past each other. You keep emphasizing electoral expediency over all else, while I am emphasizing long-term governance.

Refusal to compromise can be beneficial for short-term electoral gains, but in the long term is bad for the country as it makes governance impossible.

Morally, refusing to compromise is to deny the validity of others' opinions and to place your own needs above theirs. In most moral systems that's considered bad behavior, but your mileage may vary.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah. I don't think he has actually said what he is going to do yet in his big policy economic speech.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

gtkor posted:

Yeah. I don't think he has actually said what he is going to do yet in his big policy economic speech.

https://twitter.com/allahpundit/status/747860851084791808

ohhh boy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm surprised it wasn't "Trump stares down (((globalists)))"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

We seem to be talking past each other. You keep emphasizing electoral expediency over all else, while I am emphasizing long-term governance.

Refusal to compromise can be beneficial for short-term electoral gains, but in the long term is bad for the country as it makes governance impossible.

We are talking past each other, but you're mischaracterizing my position. I'm not talking about electoral expediency in particular: I'm talking about having a long-term goal you want to achieve by any means necessary, that you (possibly) value more than you value the stability and efficiency of government in general.

I think that, in certain circumstances, refusal to compromise can either a) be beneficial to your long-term goals or b) have no effect on long-term goals that you seem likely to lose on anyways, in which case achieving short-terms goals is the best you can do, plus you can hold out for a sudden, unexpected shift in circumstances.

Also, all of that is still strategy. Even "refusal to compromise is always a bad strategy" still isn't a moral judgment. The acid test for our respective positions would be "what if shutting down the government did get you want you want," in which case the question is how important is this thing that you want, and how much will the shutdown actually hurt you, your electorate, and everyone else in the mean time.

Deteriorata posted:

Morally, refusing to compromise is to deny the validity of others' opinions and to place your own needs above theirs. In most moral systems that's considered bad behavior, but your mileage may vary.

I don't lose any sleep at night over denying the validity of most Republican policy positions.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 28, 2016

• Locked thread