Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
imma dice up some kalamata olives and mix em all up with some riccotta and then butterfly a chicken breast and put that ist in the middle of it and bake it for dinner tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nooner posted:

imma dice up some kalamata olives and mix em all up with some riccotta and then butterfly a chicken breast and put that ist in the middle of it and bake it for dinner tonight

Welcome back, Nooner! :hfive:

Also, that sounds good.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Marta Velasquez posted:

Also, that sounds good.

hi thanks (:

and it was pretty good, I think next time I would use a different cheese than ricotta but it wasnt bad just like a good idea of where i could take the idea and make it even better in the future. I might also have gone too hard on the olives too, i used 12 in it so 6 per breast which seemed like a good idea because me and gf both love them but it might have been a little over powering of the ricotta also idk

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Maybe feta with the kalamata olives, that's pretty classic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waci posted:

Are we talking pizza like

or like

Because I feel the second one is definitely an open-faced sandwich.

Wait, is smörgåstårta a cake or a sandwich?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Its what happens when you have a heated argument about whether to have cake or just some sandwiches, and someone insist on finding neutral ground.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I know there's no substitute for Saffron.

But if a peasant like me wanted to anyway, what would I use? The closest I've heard is blending turmeric and paprika together.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MrSlam posted:

I know there's no substitute for Saffron.

But if a peasant like me wanted to anyway, what would I use? The closest I've heard is blending turmeric and paprika together.

There's no substitute. If you don't have saffron, don't use saffron.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Safflower is the traditional "I don't have saffron but I want that color in my food" substitution. It won't work for flavor but it tastes okay and the color will be very similar.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nooner posted:

hi thanks (:

and it was pretty good, I think next time I would use a different cheese than ricotta but it wasnt bad just like a good idea of where i could take the idea and make it even better in the future. I might also have gone too hard on the olives too, i used 12 in it so 6 per breast which seemed like a good idea because me and gf both love them but it might have been a little over powering of the ricotta also idk

When I read it I was thinking Feta also might be a good choice instead like the other poster mentioned.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bartolimu posted:

Safflower is the traditional "I don't have saffron but I want that color in my food" substitution. It won't work for flavor but it tastes okay and the color will be very similar.

If you're going for color, achiote (or paprika if you don't have achiote) and a bit of turmeric will almost get you there, but there's nothing that tastes like saffron. I had assumed he wanted to make a flavor substitute but I guess some people just like the color (which is understandable).

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 28, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you're going for color, achiote (or paprika if you don't have achiote) and a bit of turmeric will almost get you there, but there's nothing that tastes like saffron. I had assumed he wanted to make a flavor substitute but I guess some people just like the color (which is understandable).

Don't care too much about color. I was hoping for a flavor substitute. I guess if there were a flavor substitute though nobody'd go to the trouble of buying saffron.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nooner posted:

Try diced good salami instead of or in addition to olives, that cream milky cheese goes loving insane along with the salty stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MrSlam posted:

Don't care too much about color. I was hoping for a flavor substitute. I guess if there were a flavor substitute though nobody'd go to the trouble of buying saffron.

Yeah, it's one of a kind.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Nooner posted:

hi thanks (:

I like sun-dried tomato chunks and feta for stuffing a chicken breast, just S+P the outside and optionally do up a light pan sauce after cooking the meat.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Marta Velasquez posted:

Yeah, welcome bac-

Er...

See you again, Nooner! :v:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think I am losing my motivation to eat out alone. I travel all the time for work and used to love trying a new spot every night, but over the last six or so months I just cant seem to work up any excitement for it. I am in Vegas for the week and cannot get excited about going anywhere. It's lame as gently caress and I don't know whats going on.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

bongwizzard posted:

I think I am losing my motivation to eat out alone. I travel all the time for work and used to love trying a new spot every night, but over the last six or so months I just cant seem to work up any excitement for it. I am in Vegas for the week and cannot get excited about going anywhere. It's lame as gently caress and I don't know whats going on.

Maybe it's too easy finding all the new places so it has lost its charm. It seems to happen to me when I have to travel a bunch.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Get your rear end to Chada Street by any means possible and order the crab fat fried rice. Pair it with whatever non-Riesling white is on the per-glass list - not because the Riesling won't be a good pairing, but because Banq is an amazing wine guy and whatever the non-Riesling option is will be fascinating and great. If you have room after the crab fat fried rice have the crispy duck panang (better than Lotus of Siam, and that's saying a lot), or the fish curry in banana leaf, or the crispy pork belly, or just the $3 side order thing that is peanuts flash fried with chiles and lemongrass and onions.

Head to Zen Japanese Curry (Spring Mountain just west of Decatur) for the kind of restaurant that does one thing and does it better than anyone else. Then walk across the parking lot to Raku Sweets and have a three-course dessert tasting menu where you get to watch the chef make everything in front of you and it's all amazing.

Get a table at Japanese Food By Omae for multiple-Michelin-starred quality in a four-table dining room that seats only twice nightly. The food oscillates between traditional Japanese and trippy as gently caress chef-playing-with-food dishes you'll never see the like of again.

Some lunch head up to The Goodwich (LV Blvd and Hoover, just north of Charleston and get the Street Corn Sandwich. It will change your outlook on life, and it's the cheapest sandwich on the menu.

Another lunch go to Flock and Fowl and have some of the best simple chicken-and-rice food ever made.

Take a longer lunch and go to the extreme Southwest of Vegas to Due Forni. Order the Tartufo pizza - mozzarella di buffala, mushrooms, truffles, with a raw egg put on top of the pizza a minute before pulling it from the 1200-degree oven. They bring it to the table and smear the egg yolk over the pizza with the back of a spoon. Eye contact costs extra.

For still more lunch go to Monta Ramen in Chinatown (or the other location in the southeast, but trust me, go to Chinatown instead) for the best tonkotsu ever.

Want to stay on the Strip? Secret Pizza in the Cosmopolitan. Bouchon in the Venetian. Both will serve you well for the price. For the expense account, Jaleo in the Cosmo or Bazaar Meats in the SLS. But seriously, hop a cab/Uber and get off the Strip. It'll make things way better.

For drinks, in order of best-ness: Atomic Liquors, Frankie's Tiki Lounge, Herbs and Rye, Golden Tiki.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
All of that sounds amazing, but like, I kinda just want to sit in my room and watch Shark week and masterbate. Not to the Sharks, I mute it first.

But, the crab fat fried rice does sound appealing and I will head there tomorrow to see if I can get my groove back. That being said, where does a crab have fat? I have eaten many a crab and never noticed anything that seems fat-like.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

bongwizzard posted:

All of that sounds amazing, but like, I kinda just want to sit in my room and watch Shark week and masterbate. Not to the Sharks, I mute it first.

But, the crab fat fried rice does sound appealing and I will head there tomorrow to see if I can get my groove back. That being said, where does a crab have fat? I have eaten many a crab and never noticed anything that seems fat-like.

I was setting up an image joke here with sexy sharks and fat crabs, but the image search results were too horrifying to post.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I hate it when a good, informed discussion about psuedoscience gets derailed by memes. :( but thank you subg, wiggles, etc.

in unrelated sane not-contentious talk - I am flying to san sebastian tomorrow. I have a reservation at martin berasategui, and on hold for arzak. it's been like 8 years since I was last there. my gal and I plan on renting a car for at least a couple days - anyone have any food/wine/tourism tips for the region? we'll stay in bilbao a night too - otherwise not much set in stone, other than "relax". and watch die mannschaft destroy italy in the quarterfinal on saturday...

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Captain Bravo posted:

Yeah, welcome bac-

Er...

See you again, Nooner! :v:

drat. Now I have to wait a month to find out if Nooner tried feta.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

I hate it when a good, informed discussion about psuedoscience gets derailed by memes. :( but thank you subg, wiggles, etc.

in unrelated sane not-contentious talk - I am flying to san sebastian tomorrow. I have a reservation at martin berasategui, and on hold for arzak. it's been like 8 years since I was last there. my gal and I plan on renting a car for at least a couple days - anyone have any food/wine/tourism tips for the region? we'll stay in bilbao a night too - otherwise not much set in stone, other than "relax". and watch die mannschaft destroy italy in the quarterfinal on saturday...

I'm developing a college course right now on pseudoscience. I probably won't get to teach it until Fall 2017 but have to get a syllabus together by Spring 2017 to get vetted by my Dept Chair etc.

I have a couple of non-food related topics I wanted to touch on (known causes of autism/ vaccines risks real vs perceived, homeopathy, etc etc). There are a lot of food / nutrition related topics that also would be useful to discuss and I can reach out to a professor in Nutrition to help as well but figured this might be a good place to get some ideas as well.

For food related stuff I'm thinking of covering "Diet and pH", "Fat, cholesterol and human genetics" and maybe spend 1 lecture going over a bunch of dietary fads that looked good on paper but haven't necessarily panned out, ie Oat Bran, Atkins, Fat-free, etc.

Purpose of the course is for freshman/sophomores from all areas (actually hoping for more non-science majors) to get a general understanding of pseudoscience topics since these are people that generally become 'at risk' to believe many fads/ bullshit on social media. Any other pervasive food / nutrition things yall run into that is bogus?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MSG headaches.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gluten intolerance.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's not your lovely diet and sedentary lifestyle. It's gluten.

That Works posted:

For food related stuff I'm thinking of covering "Diet and pH", "Fat, cholesterol and human genetics" and maybe spend 1 lecture going over a bunch of dietary fads that looked good on paper but haven't necessarily panned out, ie Oat Bran, Atkins, Fat-free, etc.

I guessing this might already include gluten-free and paleo people, though.

e:f;b

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are also those real weird lemon juice colon purges.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'll probably spend a little time on gluten, going into celiac disease and legitimate issues. That's a part I will need to talk to a nutrition pro about as apart from legitimate celiac cases I know of no reason / benefit for being 'gluten free'. I don't think there is one, but want to be certain before getting to the topic.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Whats wrong with Oat Bran, that stuff gives me powerful poops, which I assume is what is is supposed to do?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Basically any diet advice article you see on Prevention or Elite Daily could use a thorough shooting down.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Whats wrong with Oat Bran, that stuff gives me powerful poops, which I assume is what is is supposed to do?

In the late 80's / early 90's it was heavily marketed as heart friendly etc. There was a big craze about it being super beneficial for heart disease / cholesterol issues. Turns out there wasn't really much going on there. Just using it as an example of a fad diet that was later disproven.

It's not bad for you or anything, but you don't see people advocating it strongly as something you need to be eating.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oat bran is good fiber. Fiber is good.

Sometimes I add it to bread for "rusticness".

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

Get your rear end to Chada Street by any means possible and order the crab fat fried rice. Pair it with whatever non-Riesling white is on the per-glass list - not because the Riesling won't be a good pairing, but because Banq is an amazing wine guy and whatever the non-Riesling option is will be fascinating and great. If you have room after the crab fat fried rice have the crispy duck panang (better than Lotus of Siam, and that's saying a lot), or the fish curry in banana leaf, or the crispy pork belly, or just the $3 side order thing that is peanuts flash fried with chiles and lemongrass and onions.

Head to Zen Japanese Curry (Spring Mountain just west of Decatur) for the kind of restaurant that does one thing and does it better than anyone else. Then walk across the parking lot to Raku Sweets and have a three-course dessert tasting menu where you get to watch the chef make everything in front of you and it's all amazing.

Get a table at Japanese Food By Omae for multiple-Michelin-starred quality in a four-table dining room that seats only twice nightly. The food oscillates between traditional Japanese and trippy as gently caress chef-playing-with-food dishes you'll never see the like of again.

Some lunch head up to The Goodwich (LV Blvd and Hoover, just north of Charleston and get the Street Corn Sandwich. It will change your outlook on life, and it's the cheapest sandwich on the menu.

Another lunch go to Flock and Fowl and have some of the best simple chicken-and-rice food ever made.

Take a longer lunch and go to the extreme Southwest of Vegas to Due Forni. Order the Tartufo pizza - mozzarella di buffala, mushrooms, truffles, with a raw egg put on top of the pizza a minute before pulling it from the 1200-degree oven. They bring it to the table and smear the egg yolk over the pizza with the back of a spoon. Eye contact costs extra.

For still more lunch go to Monta Ramen in Chinatown (or the other location in the southeast, but trust me, go to Chinatown instead) for the best tonkotsu ever.

Want to stay on the Strip? Secret Pizza in the Cosmopolitan. Bouchon in the Venetian. Both will serve you well for the price. For the expense account, Jaleo in the Cosmo or Bazaar Meats in the SLS. But seriously, hop a cab/Uber and get off the Strip. It'll make things way better.

For drinks, in order of best-ness: Atomic Liquors, Frankie's Tiki Lounge, Herbs and Rye, Golden Tiki.

Hitting Frankie's on Saturday.

Bart, what's that other Thai place in the same shopping centre as lotus? I don't like most of their menu compared to other places but they have a totally bitching herbal salad which is my hangover cure of choice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

That Works posted:

I'm developing a college course right now on pseudoscience. I probably won't get to teach it until Fall 2017 but have to get a syllabus together by Spring 2017 to get vetted by my Dept Chair etc.

I have a couple of non-food related topics I wanted to touch on (known causes of autism/ vaccines risks real vs perceived, homeopathy, etc etc). There are a lot of food / nutrition related topics that also would be useful to discuss and I can reach out to a professor in Nutrition to help as well but figured this might be a good place to get some ideas as well.

Purpose of the course is for freshman/sophomores from all areas (actually hoping for more non-science majors) to get a general understanding of pseudoscience topics since these are people that generally become 'at risk' to believe many fads/ bullshit on social media. Any other pervasive food / nutrition things yall run into that is bogus?

Are you aware of the pseudoscience and Monsatan threads?

I study bioethics and the communication of science (primarily among scientists), with a heavy focus on bad science. Hit me up with details of your course by PM if you'd like to have a longer conversation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you aware of the pseudoscience and Monsatan threads?

I study bioethics and the communication of science (primarily among scientists), with a heavy focus on bad science. Hit me up with details of your course by PM if you'd like to have a longer conversation.

Ooh nice. I will hit you up sometime. Waiting to get on campus in a few weeks and run the initial description by the Dept. Chair before I start designing a curriculum. They might want me to do something else / already have enough courses with overlapping coverage that I am encouraged to go in another direction.

I was aware of some of the other threads, but honestly it hadn't occurred to me to take a look at them until you mentioned it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't forget purposefully giving yourself a parasite to loose weight.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

It's the green stuff inside of a crab.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The one true heezy posted:

It's the green stuff inside of a crab.

Huh, I thought that stuff wasn't edible? Have I been tossing perfectly good crab fat all these years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I mean, pretty much anything is edible if you try hard enough.