Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The blood DLC is a bit trickier in this game due to the lack of paired combat.

I just want the patch either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does anyone have any good Ork tips to offer? anything would be appreciated, unit composition especially Im struggling with a bit.

Im starting Orks from my VC campaign where I got vamps to infiltrate noble houses and fought chaos a bunch so every AI faction spammed me with treaties and offers every turn... now they all really hate me :negative:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Kainser posted:

The blood DLC is a bit trickier in this game due to the lack of paired combat.

I just want the patch either way.

I have blood & gore for every TW it was offered and never really noticed it. Spend most of the time zoomed out making tactical adjustments not watching animations.

It'd be good for YouTubers/replays though

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brasseye posted:

Does anyone have any good Ork tips to offer? anything would be appreciated, unit composition especially Im struggling with a bit.

Im starting Orks from my VC campaign where I got vamps to infiltrate noble houses and fought chaos a bunch so every AI faction spammed me with treaties and offers every turn... now they all really hate me :negative:

you need Big Uns to be your mainline infantry, not ifs or buts.

Boar riders and only good for the charge, so charge and retreat all the time, never let them get stuck in.

Don't conquer everything immediatly, sack stuff first, go fight somewhere else and then sack again. It's good XP, good experience and good waagh farming.

Wolf and Spider riders are surpisingly good, they can hunt down artillery and non-dwarven archers and a rear charge from wolves might not be devastating to dwarves but gives good morale penalties. Spiders are slower but have the vicious "poison" penalty against anyone they attack.

I found trolls to be terrible and Giants to be super powerful, but neither compare to the giant spider. Highly armored, poisonous, has dudes shooting arrows, causes fear and is a very beautiful giant spider!

Grimgor should focus 100% of the personal combat tree to turn him into a one-man army. Give him an Orc Shaman to buff him ever further.

Basically, bigger is better, sack everything twice and always be waaghing.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mans posted:

bird chaos demon thing is the old man advisor after his crow eats his eyes

Actually, I just rewatched the video. It's the bird that turns into the Lord of Change. Although I guess it would still be odd since the advisor still has his pet bird

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gejnor posted:

According to some dude on the TW forums:

Blood DLC ? I mean we knew it was coming, but so soon?

possibly krell http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Krell

axe: check
blood: was a warrior of khorne in life, check
chaos: check, see above
dark magic: check, revived by necromancy
battlefield: duh

in tabletop, krell is heinrich kemmler's bodyguard and half the reason you use heinrich over a vampire; krell is a combat fiend and splitting the general's prowess for magic/combat between two models means you don't risk the enemy murdering your general early and steamrolling you if you try to get him stuck in

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Schwartzhaven might be one of the toughest places to hold in the entire game. It's just seems to be at a nexus where dwarves/orcs/empire will often go first to attack you when are VC. It's also 1 turn away from a few nearby settlements, so if the AI possess any of them (like Averland), they can take their full stack fresh from the city right to your doorstep. This make the other 2 pieces of the province that much weaker as well, as you just constantly struggle to control all 3 territories. Unless you build walls fast, this place just gets razed all the loving time. I think it's just better to leave it as smoldering ruins and move on to greener pastures.

I found it far better to subjugate those guys, one minor city is such a small thing to give away in exchange for a trading partner that gives you tribute per turn and 1-2 upkeep free standing armies to deal with any nearby threats.

Plus you still technically own the full province if they are your vassal and what else do you really need that minor city for?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

President Ark posted:

possibly krell

Good catch, didn't thought about him.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

How do shields work, exactly? I understand the concept that it totally negates 30-50% of incoming small arms fire (arrows and bullets?), but is that percentage a guarantee of blocked damage, or does each projectile roll a hidden dice to check if it is blocked or hits past the shield?

Also, could I screen an unshielded unit with a shielded one standing on the same space, so that an arrow that targets my fragile unit could be blocked, Roman tortoise-like, by a fellow shield-bearer? I am picturing a little goblin jumping to shield an arrow meant for an Orc Big 'Un, though the orc would probably just pick up the goblin itself to catch the arrow with its head...

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Man oh man autoresolve is really getting on my nerves now that I'm playing empire.

I've been faffing around with heroes a bunch more because I didn't really touch them outside assassinating folks in my Dwarf campaign. However, the autoresolver I guess has decided that ALL HERO MUST DIE WAAAAAGH and I'll take 30 casualties in a battle but each of my level 10+ heroes will take half HP in damage. For some reason I assumed that maybe the autoresolve wouldn't go all-out and kill them, and so I stupidly got my ballin' witch hunter, bright wizard and warrior priest all killed in a single "kill the previously routed army" fight.

gettin' mad about video games itt

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

How do shields work, exactly? I understand the concept that it totally negates 30-50% of incoming small arms fire (arrows and bullets?), but is that percentage a guarantee of blocked damage, or does each projectile roll a hidden dice to check if it is blocked or hits past the shield?

Also, could I screen an unshielded unit with a shielded one standing on the same space, so that an arrow that targets my fragile unit could be blocked, Roman tortoise-like, by a fellow shield-bearer? I am picturing a little goblin jumping to shield an arrow meant for an Orc Big 'Un, though the orc would probably just pick up the goblin itself to catch the arrow with its head...

It seems to be based on a percent system. An arrow that hits a specific model has a percent chance to be blocked by the shield but it's determined as the projectile hits. You can mass together two units together so the blocking unit takes the hits but this also increases formation density which causes the units to take more damage overall so it's a question of taking less total damage or taking less damage on the unit you're blocking for. Currently I don't bother with mixing units together since combat is fairly fast paced and melee seems to be the bigger focus.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Olive Branch posted:

For your first question, it's the latter. Each missile has a 30-50% chance of being negated entirely, with those that go through rolling against armor as normal.

For your second question, it would probably be a case of which model the game detects as being hit by the projectile, so in theory possibly but I'd be wary about how it played out in practice. It's possible that the greater density of troops from overlapping the two units would just result in more arrow hits overall, or that the Orcs are too much taller than the Goblins to have them block arrows for them. More typically, arrow-catchers get deployed in their own line in front of the real fighter (which also allows them to absorb charges from shock units).

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Personally i really, and i mean like really.. reaally REAAAAALLLLYYYYyyy wish Orcs had a mid or high tier unit in their vanilla roster that uses a shield.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Mans posted:

good advice

Thanks! I did the opposite of basically all of this but only 30 turns in so time to restart.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Man oh man autoresolve is really getting on my nerves now that I'm playing empire.

I've been faffing around with heroes a bunch more because I didn't really touch them outside assassinating folks in my Dwarf campaign. However, the autoresolver I guess has decided that ALL HERO MUST DIE WAAAAAGH and I'll take 30 casualties in a battle but each of my level 10+ heroes will take half HP in damage. For some reason I assumed that maybe the autoresolve wouldn't go all-out and kill them, and so I stupidly got my ballin' witch hunter, bright wizard and warrior priest all killed in a single "kill the previously routed army" fight.

gettin' mad about video games itt

the logic autoreslv uses has priority on keeping the # of casualties as low as possible, so they'll tank with your single units. Very rough for VC. Remember to use the quick save button in case you need to manually fight after auto takes a poo poo on you.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Gejnor posted:

Personally i really, and i mean like really.. reaally REAAAAALLLLYYYYyyy wish Orcs had a mid or high tier unit in their vanilla roster that uses a shield.

Wut kinda grotty lil git carries round a shield when e's already bigger an arder? Someone gunna hit you, you chop em'. Then e' won't it ya.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I really hope they do the subtle crossover from 40k into this. A powerful, rare chaos artifact.

A chainsword.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Weird thing is that Black Orcs in TT were one of the hardest tarpits in the game due to their insane armor and their ability to pack a shield. They had a unique rule where every turn they can pick either a choppa and shield combo or a gently caress-off huge battleaxe, so they were pretty flexible in melee on top of being dead 'ard and killy.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

This would be Black Orcs if the Total War engine handled swapping between weapons. They had a rule called "Armed to da Teef" that let them freely switch between two-handed weapons, greatweapons, or a choppa and shield at the start of each turn. I suppose modders could translate it when Wurzag is added with his ability to turn wizards into squigs.

E: Yes before you ask, Wurzag can turn Archaon the Everchosen of Chaos into a squig. Can't wait to unlock THAT achievement :allears:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 28, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yukitsu posted:

Wut kinda grotty lil git carries round a shield when e's already bigger an arder? Someone gunna hit you, you chop em'. Then e' won't it ya.

's not der chopperz dats boferin' me boss, is dem arrers! Iz finkin' we gots to be more likez Mork an' be Kunning and all tha'!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Gejnor posted:

's not der chopperz dats boferin' me boss, is dem arrers! Iz finkin' we gots to be more likez Mork an' be Kunning and all tha'!

Den ya chops da git what's shooting them arrers at ya. They aint firin themselves!

More seriously though, shields don't change the damage by a huge amount in this game. shielded units still take pretty bad damage running in against a gun line, but even without shields, tough, high HP units will make it to the top of that hill with good numbers.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Gejnor posted:

According to some dude on the TW forums:

Blood DLC ? I mean we knew it was coming, but so soon?

Ah poo poo I bet I know what that refers to... theres a TT chaos hero that has an axe that gets stronger the more blood it drinks. In his backstory he started off as a wimpy viking shepherd boy who got bullied alot, then found a sleeping beastman who just ate one of his sheep, and hacked it up with its own crappy wooden axe which drinks the blood and becomes shinier. Then he goes off and takes over the village and murders his dad and the axe gets shinier all the time etc basically warhammer bully revenge fantasy.

Can't remember the name but it was somewhere in the lore so in other words probably the next DLC lord? With some mechanic that the more kills he scores per battlethe more damage he does or somesuch.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 28, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
We already have a surplus of face wrecking heroes for chaos, though?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yukitsu posted:

Den ya chops da git what's shooting them arrers at ya. They aint firin themselves!

More seriously though, shields don't change the damage by a huge amount in this game. shielded units still take pretty bad damage running in against a gun line, but even without shields, tough, high HP units will make it to the top of that hill with good numbers.

I'm surprised that empire shield units don't get a shieldwall sort of stance that makes them slow but gives them like 80% missile resist. I was pretty shocked when my unit of swordsmen armed with kite shields almost got routed charging a unit of yeomen archers one-on-one

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ChickenWing posted:

I'm surprised that empire shield units don't get a shieldwall sort of stance that makes them slow but gives them like 80% missile resist. I was pretty shocked when my unit of swordsmen armed with kite shields almost got routed charging a unit of yeomen archers one-on-one

They've commented on this a few times before. Basically, they wanted to move away from activated abilities on regular units. With a handful of exceptions like the Black Coach, I'm pretty sure nobody has abilities anymore.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Orcish banter in the TW:WH thread will never get old. :allears:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Klaus88 posted:

We already have a surplus of face wrecking heroes for chaos, though?

Yea, idk why they would release a hero like that when siggy and archaon are there. But if the squiggles mean blood magic axe is coming to the battlefield or whatever, thats pretty close.

Maybe the viking faction he was part of becoming playable, with him as main hero? Coulda been varg or skaeling. Can't recall.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Chaos isn't getting another Legendary Hero because even CA wouldn't be dumb enough to release a DLC for a DLC.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Kaza42 posted:

Actually, I just rewatched the video. It's the bird that turns into the Lord of Change. Although I guess it would still be odd since the advisor still has his pet bird

You hear chaos troops allude to this in battle sometimes

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So if Beastmen do get added... where the hell would they end up? Map seems pretty crowded as is. Would they be able to take any settlements, or would they be another horde army?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So if Beastmen do get added... where the hell would they end up? Map seems pretty crowded as is. Would they be able to take any settlements, or would they be another horde army?

No one really knows, but their fluff includes hating the poo poo out of civilization and buildings in any form, so horde seems very likely.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think horde army sounds accurate for the beastmen and a lot of the factions and I'm p surprised that orks aren't done this way.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

NT Plus posted:

Orcish banter will never get old. :allears:

Ftfy.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Blacktoll posted:

I think horde army sounds accurate for the beastmen and a lot of the factions and I'm p surprised that orks aren't done this way.

Savage Orcs, if they end up their own thing in time, might do this to differentiate themselves. They already kinda do as the AI factions. Seems like a possibility given they have some of the markers of a unique faction when you look around in the files. Probably not happening soon though.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, Chaos isn't getting another Legendary Hero because even CA wouldn't be dumb enough to release a DLC for a DLC.

I wouldn't put it past them, but not as the first post-launch DLC.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It doesn't make sense for beastmen to be a pure horde, especially since orcs aren't. They only become an army when a leader manages to unite the tribes, and otherwise they just stay within their territory, fight amongst themselves and raid villages and caravans.

To take a wild stab in the dark: I think the easiest way they could be represented would be to do something sort of similar to the Vampire Count corpse counter. Each forested province has a beastmen infestation level that, when high, lets beastmen replenish and recruit there as well as 'leaking' into the local city as higher chaos corruption. It'd put them in a middle ground between the complete nomadism of the current Chaos armies and the city-building of the other factions - they'd have the freedom to choose between either maintaining and spreading the corruption of the forest they start in, or wandering wherever they please and corrupting nearby forests just enough to restore their numbers, but either way they'd have to pay some attention to the map beyond 'what will I kill next'.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

They could just... add them for free? I mean we have already given them our money.

:downs:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Brasseye posted:

First tip, spell it Orc :colbert:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bad Moon posted:

First tip, spell it Orc :colbert:

no it's definitely Ork in Warhammer fluff

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

They could just... add them for free? I mean we have already given them our money.

:downs:

Ah, FLC package for the DLC would be much more palatable, unless you're pedantic enough that "Free-'Loadable Content" is a term that you just can't handle I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

no it's definitely Ork in Warhammer fluff

No, it's definitely not. It's Ork in 40k.

• Locked thread