Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Istari posted:

On this note, do we know what's going to happen with UK passport-holders travelling (and living and working) in the EU in the future ? Will we be subject to the same travel restrictions as all other non-EU citizens ? And if so, when will these changes come into effect ?
I've tried googling it, but haven't managed to find the answers.

I dont think free travel within the EU has been discussed yet. Makes me angry, I just got my UK passport ahaha.

Time to get my German one if Brexit goes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Istari posted:

On this note, do we know what's going to happen with UK passport-holders travelling (and living and working) in the EU in the future ? Will we be subject to the same travel restrictions as all other non-EU citizens ? And if so, when will these changes come into effect ?

Considering some of the most.common arguments in favour of leaving, how likely do you think a treaty preserving the freedom of movement between the UK and the EU is?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Istari posted:

UK isn't in Schengen even now, not much about travel will change I assume. Living and working is an entirely different subject though and I imagine those people will need to get permits.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Istari posted:

If you're already working in the EU or vice-versa, you'll be grandfathered in as you already have a residence permit. For travel, I would imagine an identity card will suffice in the future rather than a passport, although there might be some time between after leaving EU and before joining something else where a passport would be needed to go from the UK to France (but I doubt it). I also imagine it'll be a complicated mess for traveling between, say, Romania/Bulgaria and the UK.

More likely it'll be like how it was for the Swiss prior to joining Schengen in 2008 — you could go anywhere with an identity card, and getting hired anywhere in Europe was pretty easy if you're a skilled worker, and super hard if you weren't. I would strongly guess the UK would join the EFTA as a member state if it joins the EU. If it doesn't join the EFTA, then I guess it will sink into the ocean and everyone will forget it ever existed while the UK gradually turns into the Zimbabwe of Europe under Eternal Leader Comrade Corbyn.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My aunt's long-time (almost 15 years at this point I think) partner is from the UK, and they've pretty much accepted that they're going to have to get married/go through paperwork hell if the Brexit stuff passes.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Saladman posted:

If you're already working in the EU or vice-versa, you'll be grandfathered in as you already have a residence permit. For travel, I would imagine an identity card will suffice in the future rather than a passport, although there might be some time between after leaving EU and before joining something else where a passport would be needed to go from the UK to France (but I doubt it). I also imagine it'll be a complicated mess for traveling between, say, Romania/Bulgaria and the UK.

More likely it'll be like how it was for the Swiss prior to joining Schengen in 2008 — you could go anywhere with an identity card, and getting hired anywhere in Europe was pretty easy if you're a skilled worker, and super hard if you weren't. I would strongly guess the UK would join the EFTA as a member state if it joins the EU. If it doesn't join the EFTA, then I guess it will sink into the ocean and everyone will forget it ever existed while the UK gradually turns into the Zimbabwe of Europe under Eternal Leader Comrade Corbyn.

Do you have any actual sources for this, or did you make this up on the spot? I'm asking because of little details such as the UK not having identity cards, and Corbyn being even more unlikely to ever become PM if Johnson, Gove, IDS & Co. were to sucessfully pull off a Brexit than he is now. I'd be especially thankful for a reliable source when it comes to being grandfathered in for a residence permit.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm assuming it will be handled the same way Switzerland handled it pre 2008 (said directly in my post) back when they were neither EU nor Schengen.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
That's what I thought.

My point is that, at the moment, we know preciously little. We do not know what their future plans regarding travel would be; in fact, we don't even know anything more specific about the passport union between Ireland and the UK. We also do not know whether the same rules regarding minimum annual wages would have to be fulfilled by Europeans as is currently the case for non-EU people seeking work in the UK. We also do not know how access to benefits will be regulated, whether visas will be required for EU students to study in the UK, as is currently the case for most other countries. The whole situation of "not knowing" is very similar to the situation just before the Scotland Referendum, despite the fact that these questions are a lot more serious this time. Yet, people are too busy accusing each other of lying to actually start thinking about answering any of these questions. Not that it will have any impact on the Brexit vote either way, since EU citizens are not allowed to vote no matter how long they have lived in the UK (unless they happen to also be Commonwealth citizens, i.e. Irish, Maltese or Cypriots).

Edit: The outcome of the vote is also unlikely to have immediate consequences come midnight on the 23 June. If the votes swing in the favour of "Leave", that means that the UK will then have to formally start the process of separating from the EU, which will take time. It is much too early to know anything more specific, and all "it will be like Switzerland" or "it will be like Norway" is unfounded.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 17, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

That's what I thought.

My point is that, at the moment, we know preciously little.

No one knows anything -- even Farage and Cameron and Corbyn don't know anything. Literally anything anyone reads from any source is pure speculation. If Brexit passes, the UK will still stay in the EU for up to 2 years as per Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, so it's not like anything has been hashed out in advance. Anyone who asks the question now is asking for people's speculations.

Edit: That they get it like Switzerland did pre-2008 is best-case scenario for UK citizens where the EU gives them everything they want. Worst case scenario they get treated like Russians, if the EU decides to be punitive dicks.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 17, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Istari posted:

From what I can tell should Britain leave there's no plan in place and the consequences will be negotiated later with a set cutoff date.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Saladman posted:

No one knows anything -- even Farage and Cameron and Corbyn don't know anything. Literally anything anyone reads from any source is pure speculation. If Brexit passes, the UK will still stay in the EU for up to 2 years as per Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, so it's not like anything has been hashed out in advance. Anyone who asks the question now is asking for people's speculations.

Edit: That they get it like Switzerland did pre-2008 is best-case scenario for UK citizens where the EU gives them everything they want. Worst case scenario they get treated like Russians, if the EU decides to be punitive dicks.

This is about the only thing it makes any sense to actually believe, because if Britain gets off even slightly easy, there'll be a bunch of other countries voting to leave too. The easiest way to nip that in the bud is to completely gently caress over the first country that tries it and Britain just doesn't hold nearly as many cards as the Leave campaign likes to pretend.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I'm going to Edinburgh for a few days during festival time in August. I am a lady traveling alone, so I was wondering if going to shows alone at night is a bad idea. Are there any sketchy places to avoid? I'm staying just south of Old Town, and most things I am going to are in and around Old Town.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hollow Talk posted:

Do you have any actual sources for this, or did you make this up on the spot?
He's making poo poo up because traveling to and from UK even now requires a passport for EU citizens so why would that change when UK leaves EU? No idea, they're not in Schengen now and don't plan on joining Schengen in the future.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Palpek posted:

He's making poo poo up because traveling to and from UK even now requires a passport for EU citizens so why would that change when UK leaves EU? No idea, they're not in Schengen now and don't plan on joining Schengen in the future.

From the UK, yes, because the UK doesn't have identity cards. For EU citizens whose country of origin issues identity cards alongside passports, either document is admissable. You do need one or the other, however, a simple driver's license or some such is not enough.

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I'm going to Edinburgh for a few days during festival time in August. I am a lady traveling alone, so I was wondering if going to shows alone at night is a bad idea. Are there any sketchy places to avoid? I'm staying just south of Old Town, and most things I am going to are in and around Old Town.

Most places should be fine, though I would suggest avoiding the road at the bottom of the castle (behind if you are looking from Princess Street Gardens/Waverley) called Johnston Terrace. I would probably also not prance around the Meadows. The only other place I would outright try to avoid, because it can be rowdy, is the Pubic Triangle at Lady Lawson Street/West Port. There also a few closes off the Royal Mile that might not be the best idea. All the above are relatively badly lit places with lots of corners that aren't going to see high amounts of traffic except for the Pubic Triangle, which is the opposite, but drunk lads and strip clubs are also perhaps not ideal. It's also not that these places (except maybe the Pubic Triangle) are particularly dangerous, but the combination of mostly deserted & badly lit isn't any better than anywhere else.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 18, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Palpek posted:

Europeans going to the UK absolutely do not need a passport currently, even for Schengen and non EU states. Don't know abot Bulgaria and Romania or Croatia.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Saladman posted:

Europeans going to the UK absolutely do not need a passport currently, even for Schengen and non EU states. Don't know abot Bulgaria and Romania or Croatia.

Weird how one always has to show one's documents when passing through immigration upon flying to the UK from something like Germany, and how one always sits next to the planes to interesting places like Beirut and, at least in Frankfurt, has to show an identity card or passport before even being allowed to the out-gate.

edit: added emphasis

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 18, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Saladman posted:

Nope, I've been to those places with just my ID. The ID is also valid for some non-EU places like Turkey, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia and other Balkan countries, and various small countries like Andorra.

Gyroscopic Giraffe
Jan 27, 2016

Hollow Talk posted:

Most places should be fine, though I would suggest avoiding the road at the bottom of the castle (behind if you are looking from Princess Street Gardens/Waverley) called Johnston Terrace. I would probably also not prance around the Meadows. The only other place I would outright try to avoid, because it can be rowdy, is the Pubic Triangle at Lady Lawson Street/West Port. There also a few closes off the Royal Mile that might not be the best idea. All the above are relatively badly lit places with lots of corners that aren't going to see high amounts of traffic except for the Pubic Triangle, which is the opposite, but drunk lads and strip clubs are also perhaps not ideal. It's also not that these places (except maybe the Pubic Triangle) are particularly dangerous, but the combination of mostly deserted & badly lit isn't any better than anywhere else.

This. Definitely steer clear of the Meadows in the wee hours, but otherwise just use common sense, i.e. avoid dark, deserted closes and alleyways, and there'll be no need to worry about going to shows at night. Have fun -- and don't forget your umbrella ;)

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
There was some discussion on traveling to Europe in the offseason. Anyone have experience with it? Octoberish is what I'm looking at with the plan to stay a few months and travel around. Is the weather/darkness much of a determent? Are most attractions open and less crowded? Is it cheaper?

edit: also, best place to fly in at to get my bearings?

im gay fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 19, 2016

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

October is shoulder season so it will still be pretty busy in the major cities (Rome, Paris, London, etc.). November was still pretty busy around those places as well, but less so as we moved out of the bigger cities. The weather will depend on where you're going. I was in Rome at the end of October and it was as hot as summer here in Toronto, but then went up to Paris and it was chilly. Even last November in Iberia was quite hot. If you travel well into winter I could see some things being closed or less open, like the statues at Versailles garden being covered from the cold, etc. but I don't think there would be any issues in October/November. Accommodation would be cheaper compared to peak season, sure, but again it all depends on where you want to stay and hostel or hotel.

Also, if you've never been to Europe I'd say the ideal place to fly into and get your bearings would probably be London.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

im gay posted:

There was some discussion on traveling to Europe in the offseason. Anyone have experience with it? Octoberish is what I'm looking at with the plan to stay a few months and travel around. Is the weather/darkness much of a determent? Are most attractions open and less crowded? Is it cheaper?

Depends what you're attracted by and where you go. If you're into beaches, Scandinavia in October might not be a good idea. If you're into museums, nobody cares whether it's +5 degrees outside and raining or +25 and sunny when you go to the Louvre. Whether the weather deters you from going depends on you. The continent doesn't shut down for 6 months a year, but it's hard to say whether the weather would bother you since we have no idea whether you're looking to go hiking in Nordkapp but need sunshine 24/7 or if you want to see famous historical poo poo in Rome in any weather that isn't horizontal sleet.

Generally, many things will be cheaper to wildly varying degrees, from not really noticeable (most travel) to possibly quite a bit (accommodation, particularly the less luxurious options). Much of central and northern Europe will be darker and colder during the winter. This shouldn't have any effect on most cultural things, but obviously the available outdoorsy activities are different.

Also seconding London as a good place to fly into, both because I personally like London and because of how well it works for getting to other places with relative ease.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I was mainly interested in the historical attractions, but it sounds like it shouldn't be an issue, and it's probably even better if I can save a little money while doing it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

im gay posted:

I've done parts of France, and Barcelona in October-February. Big attractions in popular cities (Eiffel tower, etc.) will be crowded no matter what the season, but definitely less so in winter, especially when it's raining.
Lots of things close during the off season (mostly small "museums" and things, like the kind that's just a couple of items in the former house of some dead author, etc.); check in advance.
Take a rain coat. For outdoor activities, this is super obvious. But even when you're indoors, wandering around museums is awful when you're soaking wet because you spent 45 minutes queuing in the rain.

Really, though, what you need to do is figure out some sort of basic itinerary (a list of countries at the very least), and come back with more specific questions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Frankly, some of the outdoor historical things are better when it's raining. I got to see the Alcazar in Jerez when it was raining, and it was great because unlike every other similar site I've been to, it was completely deserted and I got to walk around in peace and quiet.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Frankly, some of the outdoor historical things are better when it's raining. I got to see the Alcazar in Jerez when it was raining, and it was great because unlike every other similar site I've been to, it was completely deserted and I got to walk around in peace and quiet.

Yeah, definitely this for visiting monuments etc, except those where you need/want the view (visiting the top of the Eiffel Tower in fog seems like a waste of money). in October you're going to get rain basically anywhere in Europe. Visiting places in the rain is awesome if you're someone who doesnt mind getting a little wet (autumn rain is almost always just drizzle) and don't have to take photographs of every single thing you see.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Jeoh posted:

I haven't been to Gouda (shame on me) but the Hague and Delft are great for a day trip from Rotterdam!

And if you need some suggestions for Rotterdam lemme know. If I'm not too busy I might even buy you a beer!

Previous trip was canceled but I'll be there now for three days next week.

It seems like if Delft and the Hague are good (just) day trips from Rotterdam, would it be better to base out of Amsterdam? I'm free Friday and Saturday, and realized I'd never seen the Van Gogh museum so for now that's my only must see.

If Rotterdam is particularly interesting I could just stay there and take trains, I'll be staying across from the main train station.

Quite probably still interested in that beer!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

HookShot posted:

Also you should go to Plitvice Lakes and Mostar on your way.

You were in Mostar just recently, right? Did you by any chance learn if the train to Sarajevo is still out of commission?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

You were in Mostar just recently, right? Did you by any chance learn if the train to Sarajevo is still out of commission?

I have no idea, sorry, we drove in and I didn't see/hear anything either way.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

No worries! Just gonna have to fly it blind.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Currently in Rome after stopping in Iceland for a day. I'm really enjoying Italy.

Tomorrow we leave for Barcelona. We will have one full day there. What is a must-see/eat in Barcelona? Any tips?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Breakfast: Milk in Barri Gotic or just grab something from the stands at Mercat de La Boqueria on La Rambla. If you want to do Sagrada Familia or Park Güell book your tickets online in advance to avoid waiting times.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I'm flying from US -> Heathrow -> Nice, with the Nice trip falling on Tuesday (the 28th) when there's supposed to be a nationwide strike. We're scheduled for a train on the 29th to Avignon. I have travel insurance so getting things pushed back a day isn't the end of the world (day in London, woo!), but a. does anyone have experience with how widespread strikes like this are? I've read conflicting stories about how its either very centralized to Paris, or the entire country is shut down, and will it mostly be over by the 29th? Worse comes to worse can fly in the 29th and catch a train whenever we land to Avignon, but if the 29th is going to be a disaster too, that might be trouble.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I'm going to be buying a sim card to use during my trip to the UK. Is there a provider thats considered the best? Is it easy to get one in Gatwick airport?

Not really worried about minutes, mainly looking for a decent chunk of data.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 28, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
02 LTE. Don't buy in the airport because it's over priced. Just get one from a regular brick and mortar store

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
My wife and I are visiting Italy for the first time in October. We're going to be in Rome 7th-11th and 15th-18th.

So we are trying to decide what to do from the 11th-15th (4 nights). The only real stipulation is that we have to be able to use Airbnb for our accommodation. We were thinking Florence (and maybe taking a day trip on one of the days) but we're open to other ideas as well.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

ddiddles posted:

I'm going to be buying a sim card to use during my trip to the UK. Is there a provider thats considered the best? Is it easy to get one in Gatwick airport?

Not really worried about minutes, mainly looking for a decent chunk of data.

I got a Three (3) sim last time I was there. At the time, it was 15 pounds for unlimited data. Looks like the price went up to 20 quid and unlimited data is now 12gb, but still a hell of a deal. I had a friend mail me the sim and vouchers, but you can get them at most any shop on the high street.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Omits-Bagels posted:

My wife and I are visiting Italy for the first time in October. We're going to be in Rome 7th-11th and 15th-18th.

So we are trying to decide what to do from the 11th-15th (4 nights). The only real stipulation is that we have to be able to use Airbnb for our accommodation. We were thinking Florence (and maybe taking a day trip on one of the days) but we're open to other ideas as well.

Florence, Milan, Naples, and Venice are all easy connections from Rome. I suppose it depends on what things you're interested in seeing. Primarily art - Florence, primarily architecture/shopping - Milan, primarily history - Naples, a smorgasbord - Venice. Those are just my opinions on the cities though and they all have a lot of everything. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Read up on their wikitravel pages and see what interests you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SIM card chat: I'm going to be arriving in Amsterdam, then going to Belgium for a week, then back to The Netherlands for like 2 weeks. I need a SIM card with a good amount of data for pictures and stuff. Is there such thing as one that works in both countries? Or should I get one for each?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm Dutch and I'm not aware of any companies that have special deals for the Netherlands and Belgium (any more), it'd probably be just like going to the rest of the EU. There are only some subscription plans like Vodafone Buurlanden (which is not even for data), but not pre-paid as far as I know. And data is still pretty expensive when roaming even in the EU. I'm not sure how other people manage to find good deals ever, I just avoid using data abroad and manage with offline maps and random wifi networks and Eduroam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really don't mind getting a SIM for each country! I know from travelling how useful mobile data is so I definitely want it, and it's still waaaaay cheaper than the travel/roaming packs from my home carrier.