Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

A squirrel shot with an assault rifle would be in bits and pieces. AR-15s are commonly used to hunt prairie dogs and those little fuckers explode when hit. When the primary cavity is larger than the target, you wind up with bits and pieces.

This is a video of squirrels being shot with a 5.56mm rifle. Pretty decent example of what basically any rifle-caliber weapon will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd83kYJMAVU

Sometimes they just fall over and stop moving. Sometimes they blow in half and fly into the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Quality of life in Germany is a bit better tho, which let's please keep this way mmmkay?
*falls out window*

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a video of squirrels being shot with a 5.56mm rifle. Pretty decent example of what basically any rifle-caliber weapon will do.

Sometimes they just fall over and stop moving. Sometimes they blow in half and fly into the air.

Prairie dogs have to have such an interesting mythology. Bob and Ed, just hanging out on the prairie, shooting the poo poo, when all of a sudden Ed just flies to pieces, and then there's a loud noise. Bob just sits there, chewing the grass, wondering where Ed went. I think that's how Calvinism got started.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Trin Tragula posted:

There's a lot of British commemoration going on but our entire political establishment is currently eating itself in the omnishambles to end all omnishambles, so

So basically we're doing the most appropriate possible homage to the mess that was the first day on the Somme then :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Slightly off topic but interesting news report, possible Sikh or Indian soldier spotted in video gaming guilty pleasure Battlefield 1 gameplay footage as a player model for support. Also of note, cowboy looking hats for Scouts (possible link to Buffolo soldiers, the scout might be a African American vounteer as a placeholder?) and best of all you can just use a bolt action rifle without bolting on a tonne of poo poo to it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Slightly off topic but interesting news report, possible Sikh or Indian soldier spotted in video gaming guilty pleasure Battlefield 1 gameplay footage as a player model for support. Also of note, cowboy looking hats for Scouts (possible link to Buffolo soldiers, the scout might be a African American vounteer as a placeholder?) and best of all you can just use a bolt action rifle without bolting on a tonne of poo poo to it.

Yeah, looks pretty good for acknowledging the war wasn't just the Brits and Huns slugging it out in Flanders field.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, looks pretty good for acknowledging the war wasn't just the Brits and Huns slugging it out in Flanders field.

Well, the French won't be in at release.

The French.

In a WWI game.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ArchangeI posted:

The French.

In a WWI game.

The French are paid DLC. :negative:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

Note that most people engaged in the warning sign of psychopathy "sport" of varmeting are using billets specially designed to fragment maximally in a short distance, creating the gopher grenade effect. The bullets are usually much lighter than your average military JHP or target rounds.

A squirrel hit with a rifle doesn't disintegrate. The bullet doesn't have room to expand and just blows through. The result is still ghastly but more in terms of a guy taking a cannon ball to the chest than an RPG.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

The French.

In a WWI game.

Well. At least the British are in it

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

ArchangeI posted:

The French.

In a WWI game.

Well everyone knows the military history of France is just humiliating defeat after humiliating defeat endlessly through the ages, why would they be in a video game about fighting unless it was as comic relief?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TaurusTorus posted:

Well everyone knows the military history of France is just humiliating defeat after humiliating defeat endlessly through the ages, why would they be in a video game about fighting unless it was as comic relief?

*gets gibbed by louis xiii*

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RHiyWHuV0

Well maybe he's just Corsican I guess Idunno

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

I want to say the Free French cropped up in Battlefield 1942 at some point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

The French.

In a WWI game.

Alternately: The French are considered important enough to get sales as a DLC.

Note that I'm not saying I like or condone EA's business practices.

feedmegin posted:

Pretty sure they were.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They showed up in the road to Rome expansion, which also featured the Italians, of all the people

Almost makes up for depicting the battle of arnhem as an American battle

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

feedmegin posted:

Yep, they were in the Road to Rome expansion as the Allied faction in Monte Cassino and Monte Santa Croce.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that most people engaged in the warning sign of psychopathy "sport" of varmeting are using billets specially designed to fragment maximally in a short distance, creating the gopher grenade effect. The bullets are usually much lighter than your average military JHP or target rounds.

.223 does that on its own. A Hornady varmint round is a 55-grain bullet, M855 is a bit heavier than that at 62 grains but that's because they have a steel core. If 5.56mm is traveling fast enough when it strikes a target, it's going to yaw, fracture at the shoulder, and split into two or three pieces. When it doesn't, because you're firing at a long range out of a short-barreled M4, it doesn't fragment and has a much smaller wounding effect.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
In my experience a .22 LR is perfectly adequate for smaller varmints like squirrels and prairie dogs. Something like a coyote or raccoon you want something bigger.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ArchangeI posted:

The French.

In a WWI game.

Yeah but like the Ottomans and the Austrohungarians and the Italians are in, so...

I'm pretty sure this is all so that they can sell a French focused expansion later, complete with Verdun map pack and Chauchats for everyone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RHiyWHuV0

Well maybe he's just Corsican I guess Idunno

Napoleon pretty much openly broken from Corsica after Pasquale Paoli, who he helped reinstall as the defacto dictator of Corsica grew suspicious of his antics in Corsica and booted him and his family out back to France. Napoleon spent most of the early French revolution trying to unfuck his family finances and estates in Corsica.

Like he broke so hard, he changed the spelling of his family name.

Fangz posted:

Yeah but like the Ottomans and the Austrohungarians and the Italians are in, so...

I'm pretty sure this is all so that they can sell a French focused expansion later, complete with Verdun map pack and Chauchats for everyone.

Usually the lesser known minor guys in these games are the DLC/Expansion bait, still hoping the French DLC will be earlier war focused for those red pants!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 28, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

They showed up in the road to Rome expansion, which also featured the Italians, of all the people

Almost makes up for depicting the battle of arnhem as an American battle

No it doesn't. Also the Prince of Wales flying the frigging Stars and Stripes, if I recall correctly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Yep, they were in the Road to Rome expansion as the Allied faction in Monte Cassino and Monte Santa Croce.

Which also added the Italians. The best part is that game's Assault class carried LMGs and used them as assault rifles (like BARs and Type 99s, with only the Germans having a proper assault rifle), so the Italians had to lug around Breda Modello 30s.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Usually the lesser known minor guys in these games are the DLC/Expansion bait, still hoping the French DLC will be earlier war focused for those red pants!

There is another WWI FPS you can play which has plentiful support for red trousers...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

cuirasses!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if you shot an elephant with a tank gun though?

Or a whale with a battleship gun for that matter

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, the aptly named HMS Brilliant did torpedo a couple of whales thinking they were submarines...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bewbies posted:

Or a whale with a battleship gun for that matter

About 150 lbs of HE in that, right?

ObLigatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phanatic posted:

About 150 lbs of HE in that, right?

ObLigatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4

I misread the post you quoted and now I'm picturing a whale with a battleship cannon strapped on

Maybe in Red Alert 4

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Phanatic posted:

Prairie dogs have to have such an interesting mythology. Bob and Ed, just hanging out on the prairie, shooting the poo poo, when all of a sudden Ed just flies to pieces, and then there's a loud noise. Bob just sits there, chewing the grass, wondering where Ed went. I think that's how Calvinism got started.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

brexit.jpg

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
There's a photo of Caterina Sforza's armor on this page.
http://www.amicisantandrea.com/Eventi/2009/Mostra%20Forli/Mostra%20Forli.htm
Can anyone who knows more about that time than I do tell me what the heck is going on where the neckline should be?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

You've got me there. More Celestial Wizards than Bright one's I would have thought.
Bright Wizards work with the artillery making powder.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

There's a photo of Caterina Sforza's armor on this page.
http://www.amicisantandrea.com/Eventi/2009/Mostra%20Forli/Mostra%20Forli.htm
Can anyone who knows more about that time than I do tell me what the heck is going on where the neckline should be?

Best guess: it's not a complete set so there would have probably been a gorget and pauldrons to cover up what the breastplate doesn't.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Best guess: it's not a complete set so there would have probably been a gorget and pauldrons to cover up what the breastplate doesn't.
it's a straight line. that's weird.

edit: supposedly St. Catherine, her patron, is engraved on the chest, but you can't see it in this photo. Anyway, in case anyone wanted to know what womens' armor looks like for real, it's...exactly like mens' armor.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 28, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phanatic posted:

.223 does that on its own. A Hornady varmint round is a 55-grain bullet, M855 is a bit heavier than that at 62 grains but that's because they have a steel core. If 5.56mm is traveling fast enough when it strikes a target, it's going to yaw, fracture at the shoulder, and split into two or three pieces. When it doesn't, because you're firing at a long range out of a short-barreled M4, it doesn't fragment and has a much smaller wounding effect.

A FMJ 55gn isn't even going to begin to fracture in a groundhog. Some varmeting specific rounds are made in that weight but you also see a lot in the 45 ballpark. Regardless they are designed to fragment in different ways than 55gn military FMJ. It really isn't comperable to other 556 loads.

Same goes for a lot of hunting ammo. Talking about 308 deer rounds and 762 FMJ is two similar yet very different things.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It honestly looks like it's been assembled quite literally rear end-backwards. I mean, with the arms holes cut like that she couldn't have moved her arms. But then, it also doesn't look like a back plate either... :confused:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
FMJ is full metal jacket, which means the bullet is solid metal all the way through, as opposed to hollowpoint, which has a bullet that is partially hollow, right?

We're not in TFR, please explain gun jargon if you're going to use it. I'm from a country that has banned BB guns so I have NFI.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Splode posted:

FMJ is full metal jacket, which means the bullet is solid metal all the way through, as opposed to hollowpoint, which has a bullet that is partially hollow, right?

We're not in TFR, please explain gun jargon if you're going to use it. I'm from a country that has banned BB guns so I have NFI.

FMJ (or "ball") is lead totally covered in harder metal like copper except for the base (a 100% covered bullet is Total Metal Jacket). Soft points expose the tip so soft lead contacts the flesh first and expands. Hollow points have an exposed tip with a hollow space, which expands even more. Frangible rounds shatter on impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

It honestly looks like it's been assembled quite literally rear end-backwards. I mean, with the arms holes cut like that she couldn't have moved her arms.
Not necessarily:
https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21152

1445-1450 milan

1490-1500, armor of ferdinand of aragon

1490-1500, composite, Brescia and Milan?

Hold the image of the breastplate in your mind and---for some dumb reason--slice a few inches off the top where the neckline should go and you have that shape.

Edit: Or a 19th century curator hosed up. That is always an option

• Locked thread