Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What do I want to drive 1440p at high framerate/details? I'm assuming a 1080? Thinking about getting one of those Acer XB271s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, that might be a showstopper for some users...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/946217/geforce-1000-series/gtx-10-series-can-t-boot-correctly-past-330-mhz-dl-dvi-pixel-clock/

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

What do I want to drive 1440p at high framerate/details? I'm assuming a 1080? Thinking about getting one of those Acer XB271s.

My 980 Ti runs great at 1440p so I bet a 1070 would be a better bargain for what you want.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Embargo on 480 expires today, doesn't it? Is it a noon PST thing?

Durr, tomorrow.

It's tomorrow somewhere by now, I'm sure. Where's our benches? dammnit

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

The Gunslinger posted:

High framerate yes you'll want the fastest card you can get which is the 1080. I have a feeling the 1080ti (and equivalent Vega) will truly be ideal for that monitor though, depends how much cash you want to spend now or later. A 1070 will do 1440p very well as a placeholder. If you have the money to spend though, the 1080 is best right now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ninkobei posted:

It's tomorrow somewhere by now, I'm sure. Where's our benches? dammnit

29th @ 9am ET so that's the holdup.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

jm20 posted:

29th @ 9am ET so that's the holdup.

Though chances are some (usually Euro) website will accidentally post theirs early, seems to happen with every launch. Seeing how well the 290 has aged with drivers I'm sure even if tomorrow's showing isn't the greatest it'll still be a better buy (compared to a 970/1060) over the long term.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Peanut3141 posted:

I should've been more explicit. I'm wondering why they would have only bothered to pre-render at 30 Hz. I can attribute the random bouncing between 30-33 FPS as Steam's FPS overlay not being great, but why not render at 60Hz when almost anything can playback at that rate?

Saving space, probably. Metal Gear Rising for PC was about 21 GB of pre-rendered cutscenes at full hd and maybe even 60 Hz, while the game itself was only 3.2 GB.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rukus posted:

Though chances are some (usually Euro) website will accidentally post theirs early, seems to happen with every launch. Seeing how well the 290 has aged with drivers I'm sure even if tomorrow's showing isn't the greatest it'll still be a better buy (compared to a 970/1060) over the long term.

Depends on the features in the 1060 and how well it compares. The 290 trump card was DX12 support (at least, the one part of it we all know too well now), but most importantly it was better than nvidias stuff (being broad here, but this is OG titan and 700 series days) when it came out, tech wise and price. Over time, they just reduced the price. If the 480 isn't better right off the bat, it will not "age" better.

Not to say the 1060 is going to be good or anything, I have no idea. Haven't been a fan of any x60 card since the 600 series.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

They're not really prerendered, they're just a game scene that's on rails.

They lock it because 30hz is more cinematic, of course.

There are two very distinct types of cutscenes in Witcher III. There's one type that's very clearly an in-engine game scene that's on rails. That displays perfectly fine for me at 60 FPS. Then there are more cartoonish cutscenes that display at ~30 FPS, for reasons I can't fathom.

It appears to be a known issue, with the usual internet arguing about why it is so: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/699808-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71828595

Edit:

Geemer posted:

Saving space, probably. Metal Gear Rising for PC was about 21 GB of pre-rendered cutscenes at full hd and maybe even 60 Hz, while the game itself was only 3.2 GB.

Ah, this makes sense. But it just makes it more terrifying that the install was 60GB if they were saving space.

Edit2:

Last few posts in that thread give a config change to get it to display at 60Hz. If it stutters less, I'll assume there's actually 60 frames per second on disk and it's not just frame doubling. Man, game designers make some weird choices sometimes.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 28, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Geemer posted:

Actually I think all the pre-rendered cutscenes run at 24hz on Rising (which pissed off Samsung TVs and locked your framerate in game at 24 fps). The codec screens run at like 40ish fps for some reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

There you go. You dicks.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

With johnny guru's p2 unit the fan didn't even come on till "several minutes into test 4" which is 488.2W. Thats in his hotbox as well. Likely the fan would never even come on during regular use with a 1070.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=446

Apparently I read the post before he edited in the 2nd option, then quoted it after.

Either way, the Corsair is a good PSU. So is the EVGA.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I have a Seasonic 550w G Series and its the best psu I have ever used. The X Series is even better. Only negative is that Seasonic costs a little more and EVGA uses the same parts on some of their psus.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Seasonic makes the *S psus (GS and PS) Superflower makes the *2 psus (g2 and P2)

Nice thing about the Superflower series is all the modular cables work between evga power supplies (g2, p2, t2) and you can buy evgas braided ones if you want.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
EVGA Gaming ACx3.0 1070 in stock at Newegg. I know this was a pretty popular card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487248&ignorebbr=1

I had it in my cart but I am out of town all next week and I didn't really want this sitting on my porch all week.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

but...my value proposition :qq:

(if you're buying a 1080 you have no argument for it, rip 1070 non-FE owners)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just put in an order for the MSI 1070, same price. Any reason to cancel for the EVGA? I don't know a ton about these yet but VR has spurred me to jump into building a gaming PC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I have no idea what this means and I'm guessing it'll only matter to very, very few people.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm using a Gigabyte G1 1070 on an XB271HU and getting ~120FPS at 1440p in DOOM with all settings maxxed. FFXIV is only around 90FPS but that's still more than enough. A 1070 is plenty for 1440p right now unless you really want to push towards being at 144FPS as much as possible and would go for a 1080 but if you're of the "I need 144FPS always" mindset you might as well hold out for the 1080ti or whatever monster wallet-killer they release end of this year or early next year.

Though the 1070 is more than enough TBH. I came from using a 1920x1200@60hz Dell to a 1070 and XB271 so "only" 90FPS at 1440p is still amazing and worlds apart from what I had been using, to say nothing of the beauty of DOOM at ~120FPS with maxxed out settings.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AndrewP posted:

I just put in an order for the MSI 1070, same price. Any reason to cancel for the EVGA? I don't know a ton about these yet but VR has spurred me to jump into building a gaming PC.

Probably not, they are all very close. I know some people like EVGA due to their service and just general history with them, and the Gaming ACX 3.0 seems like a nice price/factory OC level.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I finally managed to order the EVGA GTX 1080 SC from NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244

It went out of stock while I was typing this post.

Maybe I should have chose two day shipping instead of next day but what the heck.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have no idea what this means and I'm guessing it'll only matter to very, very few people.

I'm using a Gigabyte G1 1070 on an XB271HU and getting ~120FPS at 1440p in DOOM with all settings maxxed. FFXIV is only around 90FPS but that's still more than enough. A 1070 is plenty for 1440p right now unless you really want to push towards being at 144FPS as much as possible and would go for a 1080 but if you're of the "I need 144FPS always" mindset you might as well hold out for the 1080ti or whatever monster wallet-killer they release end of this year or early next year.

Though the 1070 is more than enough TBH. I came from using a 1920x1200@60hz Dell to a 1070 and XB271 so "only" 90FPS at 1440p is still amazing and worlds apart from what I had been using, to say nothing of the beauty of DOOM at ~120FPS with maxxed out settings.

It means if you have one of those Overclockable Korean 1440P monitors, you cannot boot the PC with the screen running above 80hz. Sucks but I would think is something that can be fixed unless they really are just trying to kill off DP-DVI completely.

Also for PSU's I have been a fan of the CoolerMaster SilentPower Gold's for a long time. Have used a few 1000W units that run quiet and efficient for larger builds and most of the reviews at the time I got them showed the CM having one of the cleanest power delivery of the bunch. Not sure if much has changed in the past 5+ years though.

Per my UPS my comp pulls up to 600W with a full encoding process running and playing a game. I had gotten up to 900W out of it back in the 4870X2 day with 2 of them in a system for testing purposes. Quad Crossfire didn't really do much back then but make a lot of freaking heat though lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

Apparently I read the post before he edited in the 2nd option, then quoted it after.

Either way, the Corsair is a good PSU. So is the EVGA.

Can confirm, I have the EVGA 650w P2 with an overclocked Skylake i7, and an overclocked R9 290x, and it has never spun up the fans in passive mode. I flick the switch to "always on" once in a while just to check if the fan works.

I'm switching back to my 250w Pico PSU once I nab an RX 480.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

but...my value proposition :qq:

(if you're buying a 1080 you have no argument for it, rip 1070 non-FE owners)

As a former QNIX owner, I feel for them. But I wouldn't have a lot of steam behind complaining about Nvidia not testing for monitors that can only use DVI-D overclocked well beyond the spec of the interface (which is supposed to be 2560x1440 at 60 hz at maximum bandwidth). I mean I would complain, but only to get them to patch it, since it evidently does still work ... just not while booting lol.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Lockback posted:

EVGA Gaming ACx3.0 1070 in stock at Newegg. I know this was a pretty popular card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487248&ignorebbr=1

I had it in my cart but I am out of town all next week and I didn't really want this sitting on my porch all week.

Any reason you guys see not to pull the trigger on this? Like I posted earlier, I'm in the market for a new gpu. I remember seeing msrp at $379, so is the premium on this mostly based on supply/demand or is it better cooling? If it's something thats worth the cost I don't mind going in on it, I just am not really sure how to evaluate the dozens of different versions of the 1070.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Any reason you guys see not to pull the trigger on this? Like I posted earlier, I'm in the market for a new gpu. I remember seeing msrp at $379, so is the premium on this mostly based on supply/demand or is it better cooling? If it's something thats worth the cost I don't mind going in on it, I just am not really sure how to evaluate the dozens of different versions of the 1070.

I think there is healthy price gouging on the 1070's, but its possible the chip is too expensive to meet the MSRP but I feel like that would come out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you arn't in a hurry i would wait to see what AMD has coming to see if it changes pricing on 1070's and 1080's

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I usually don't early adopt, I just have doom, witcher 3, and a few other visually impressive games just screaming to be played, and a 5 year old card starting to show its age. Supply seems to be trickling back in, so I guess I can wait a few weeks. I haven't checked religiously on a product stock like this since the nintendo 64 launch back in the 90s, haha.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

you will only see $379 on the most barebones cards, not something with ACX 3.0 cooling and overclocked out of the box, like that EVGA card. so most of the price premium on that specific card isn't simply gouging early adopters. but i do expect we will see more 1070s in the sub-$400 range if the 480 has a strong launch.

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

This isn't true. There's a half dozen or so in-engine pre-rendered cutscenes. It's always really jarring because they seem to be rendered at 1080p/30 fps with low settings, everything turns smudgy.

Like here, starts at the end of a proper in-game cutscene which runs at 60 fps and switches to a pre-rendered one after Shani says the capping is about to begin (starts about 10 secs before the pre-rendered scene):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8M_oK0T40&t=5510s

In other news I got my MSI 1080 Gaming X and it's great. Flashed to the MSI OC Bios (not that it makes any difference after manually overclocking) and then fiddled with it. Seems stable enough at +126 core and +450 memory for a max clock of 2114/5508, usually drops to 2088 or 2076 once it heats up a bit.

Is there any danger to adjusting the Core Voltage % in Afterburner?
It goes from 0-100 and I noticed the card boosts marginally higher (and gets marginally hotter) the higher it's set, regardless of other Afterburner settings. With a setting of 80% the card stays at 2088 mhz no matter what and reaches 75 C, at 65% it will drop to 2076 mhz but never go above 73C.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Don Lapre posted:

If you arn't in a hurry i would wait to see what AMD has coming to see if it changes pricing on 1070's and 1080's

You should wait to see if what AMD's offering is 'Good Enough' for you, but don't think for a second that the RX 480 is going to have any impact on 1070/1080 pricing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Krailor posted:

You should wait to see if what AMD's offering is 'Good Enough' for you, but don't think for a second that the RX 480 is going to have any impact on 1070/1080 pricing.

Probably true, but while NVidia is reluctant to drop prices in response to AMD, they have been enthusiastic in bundling some really good titles. They were giving out what, MGS Phantom Pain (a legit good and expensive game) with GTX 960's last time around.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wicka posted:

you will only see $379 on the most barebones cards, not something with ACX 3.0 cooling and overclocked out of the box, like that EVGA card. so most of the price premium on that specific card isn't simply gouging early adopters. but i do expect we will see more 1070s in the sub-$400 range if the 480 has a strong launch.

Yeah, its gouging at some level somewhere. Either the MSRP was a big fudge, or AIB's decided to take advantage of the two-MSRP bs. I'm leaning towards the latter. The ACX cooler is only $20 more for a EVGA 1080, so a $600 MSRP and for an extra $20 you get the cooler. That's more than fair, and consistent with the past. For the 1070's released later, oh sorry that's $40 more, and $60 for more for the one we're actually going to release, the "Gaming SC". Which is just a smaller, longer running scam on top of the gouging, they are the same card with different clocks. But the "normal" SC isn't released yet, which is still somehow going to be $420, yet the SC with the clocks turned a tiny bit higher are available. I guess they're still waiting on the parts for the cheaper part number?

If it is a bit of price gouging, I blame nvidias founders edition pricing for it rather than the AIB's as much. The upside is the price will drop the where its going to be for a long time fairly shortly, relatively speaking, once they start undercutting each other.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does 1070 run cooler than 970 at load? Since it's summer my 970 is running at 76-80 while my CPU is at 65

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

Alright, might as well protect the $450 card that's coming in the mail today and not be the goon in the well.

Edit: Just bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015YEICJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:shepspends:

Here we go again, new case time. :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends:

Honestly it isn't the worst thing...

:v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:lol: what case is that?

MSI cards are pretty tall but not generally that long but that has no chance of fitting in any way .. what is it replacing?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

That's getting a little long in the tooth for what I believe is a bronze unit with a 3 year warranty. Might want to pick up something new just in case, even if the wattage is fine.
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to try it first? Especially considering a 5 year old 500W power supply probably can still put out 500W.

My system with a 4670k overclocked 4.4GHz, SSD, a spinning hard drive, the EVGA 1070 SC with all the sliders cranked pulls 316W at the wall (with the monitor) which is way less than 500. Figure 200W max for the GPU, 100W for the CPU, 50W for "et cetera" and you've still got plenty of headroom even with these inflated figures. Why waste another $100 if you don't need to? I mean my RAM is over a year old, I wonder if it can still hold 16GB! I'm probably in the wrong thread for being reasonable about purchasing expensive computer parts though.

That said, I bought the exact same power supply when I was waiting for my Vive to ship.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 29, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

CapnBry posted:

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to try it first? Especially considering a 5 year old 500W power supply probably can still put out 500W.

My system with a 4670k overclocked 4.4GHz, SSD, a spinning hard drive, the EVGA 1070 SC with all the sliders cranked pulls 316W at the wall which is way less than 500. Figure 200W max for the GPU, 100W for the CPU, 50W for "et cetera" and you've still got plenty of headroom. Why waste another $100 if you don't need to? I mean my RAM is over a year old, I wonder if it can still hold 16GB! I'm probably in the wrong thread for being reasonable about purchasing expensive computer parts though.

That said, I bought the exact same power supply when I was waiting for my Vive to ship.

Old PSU's kill computers. It happened to me. Everything else you can reuse to eternity, the PSU is the exception. The best thing you can say is it will probably not destroy the rest of your computer when it does go (I was not so lucky)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Polaris architecture slide deck leaked.

It's cut back from Hawaii in a few areas, it has 144 TMUs (down from 176), 32 ROPs (down from 64), and 4 ACEs (down from 8). I wonder how that will affect scaling compared to the old chips.

They have an equivalent to Maxwells multi-res shading for VR too, but multi-projection is still only a thing on Pascal.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just grabbed a 1070 from MSI. How are they as a vendor? I've always been an Evga person.