Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Well it's the census and of course self-reported as it always will be unless they decide to do haplogroup analysis on everyone. But even so why would it be hard to believe? Think of the proportion of American-identifying white Americans (most of them probably) you know with German last names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky B posted:

i still posted an I LOVE MY POLISH NEIGHBOURS message through my polish neighbours door for some feelgood vibes :unsmith:

even though these neighbours in particular are really loud and annoying and i actually hate them but whatever

This right here is exactly why I will never be on the side of people who cry racism constantly.

Everyone is racist and everyone hates everyone else, dems fake it like their some pure soul.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rofl

weren't the first few reports about the Brexit all :qq: THINK OF HOW LONG THE YOUNG WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS DECISION

never trust anyone under 30, and according to this graph? make it 35

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, the bastion of English culture and heritage that is Utah.

Weird Englishmen wanting to practice weird religious convictions has been a pretty major force in American history, Mormonism is just the natural outgrowth of that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prorat posted:

Literally have never seen a German flag waving in America, Irish flags are everywhere though.
You have to really go out of your way to see them, like small towns in the Midwest and parts of Texas. A few other random places.

It's all very weird because they take more pride in their German heritage than actual Germans.

jBrereton posted:

A lot of Americans are really shy about calling themselves English (unsurprisingly) and a lot are really overeager to claim Irishness.
I think self-identifying as English-American was more of a thing among Southerners waaaaay back. Like slavery days but I might be wrong.

Like "Anglo-Saxon" or whatever the hell.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 28, 2016

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

loving lol

the people who are the loudest about the results hosed themselves

they cannot blame anyone but themselves, they own this fiasco

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Uni exams are over, what the gently caress else are 18-24 year olds doing with their time such that they couldn't be arsed to stick two fingers up at Farage?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
oh poo poo yo, 20% of the youth voted remain compared to 10% who voted leave

Far less compelling than "two thirds of the youth vote chose to remain!"

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The terrorist state known as Turkey getting owned by suicide bombers right now while their leader is shaping the government to give him all the power, is what... 5 years from joining the EU?

Good job getting the gently caress out of there.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

is Ollivanders still open?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Prorat posted:

The terrorist state known as Turkey getting owned by suicide bombers right now while their leader is shaping the government to give him all the power, is what... 5 years from joining the EU?

Good job getting the gently caress out of there.

Turkey is like the bridge between the middle east and us white people and

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Explain basic human psychology to me, why are turnouts so low among the under 35s, and not terribly impressive above that?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

unpacked robinhood posted:

Turkey is like the bridge between the middle east and us white people and

It used to be :( it used to be one of the most western of the middle east. They even had pride parades until Ergodan. Goddamit...

Dzhay posted:

Explain basic human psychology to me, why are turnouts so low among the under 35s, and not terribly impressive above that?

I understand why American youth don't vote. Due to some states inherently being worth more in the presidential race as opposed to a true popular vote, some votes truly don't matter. However, the Brexit vote was an entirely different situation and I refuse to believe the abysmal turnout was due to malaise.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 28, 2016

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Dzhay posted:

i was busy, forgot to register, didn't know that the vote was today, my vote wouldn't have mattered, i didn't feel confident that my choice was mine and not a mindless reflection of what my parents or the tv said, but mostly...

some really important poo poo is going on in my personal life

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Mein Eyes! posted:

i was busy, forgot to register, didn't know that the vote was today, my vote wouldn't have mattered, i didn't feel confident that my choice was mine and not a mindless reflection of what my parents or the tv said, but mostly...

some really important poo poo is going on in my personal life

Man, gently caress the people you're pretending to be.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

:allears: at the South just referring to themselves as "American"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dzhay posted:

A lot of people will try to explain it using local and environmental factors and stuff like "they're busy working 17 jobs to feed their 4 kids think about their poverty :qq:" (conversely, "old people vote so much because they're retired and have nothing else to do!!" ignoring that voter participation increases steadily and smoothly with age)

But it's literally because these people are too young and dumb to understand why and how the government matters. They don't have enough experience being hosed by the system to realize that they have to participate in the system to protect themselves

olds vote more because they've had the experience to see what the gently caress happens when people (don't) vote. a good chunk of the 18-24 kids in the UK who didn't vote last week sure as gently caress are gonna vote from now on

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Prorat posted:

This right here is exactly why I will never be on the side of people who cry racism constantly.

Everyone is racist and everyone hates everyone else, dems fake it like their some pure soul.
News flash: you are insane.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dreddout posted:

They're probably not wrong if they were born here. :shrug:

That's actually a good question, is the US the only country that's obsessed with ancestry and where you came instead of just saying you're Canadian, or Spanish, or English, etc?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i can't tell who's posting ironically and who's a DnD second-stringer with a child's grasp of politics. I think everyone ITT might be both of those things

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dreddout posted:

It makes sense I guess, the Confederacy rebellion (and the subsequent Reconstruction) was a huge culturally unifying event. When these people think of their ancestry they'll think first of their rebel ancestors than of their European forefathers

Speaking of which, I saw a kid here the other day wearing a Confederate flag shirt here in Wisconsin of all places. It was disgusting. I hope for his sake his family isn't actually from Wisconsin and just moved here instead

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Being just "american" is boring as poo poo, people want to be able to claim some kind of interesting ancestry

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the idiot who lives with asocial reprehensible drunk noisy poles but feels compelled to let them know how great they are. I hope he's trolling

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

A family member voted Leave because she believed it meant that the NHS would immediately be given £350 million on the day the result was announced.
:negative:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Stoatbringer posted:

A family member voted Leave because she believed it meant that the NHS would immediately be given £350 million on the day the result was announced.
:negative:

lol

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's actually a good question, is the US the only country that's obsessed with ancestry and where you came instead of just saying you're Canadian, or Spanish, or English, etc?

Not really, everyone likes to know where their family came from. Just doesn't come up in conversation much.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

emoji posted:

Well it's the census and of course self-reported as it always will be unless they decide to do haplogroup analysis on everyone. But even so why would it be hard to believe? Think of the proportion of American-identifying white Americans (most of them probably) you know with German last names.

It also explains the American proclivity to ruler-straight roads!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not disparaging them, I find it endearing and honest! I think that native born white people in America should stop pretending like they know gently caress-all about being Irish or German because a few of their ancestors might have come from those countries.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jBrereton posted:

Self reported or actual?

A lot of Americans are really shy about calling themselves English (unsurprisingly) and a lot are really overeager to claim Irishness.

if you think about it, the number of english immigrants would have been pretty low after independence -- and there was a relatively tiny (euro) population in the US at the time. plus a bunch that weren't even english, like all the dutch in NY or the Scots-Irish* that are in the south appalachians. english colonization of the new world was an economic activity, not a migration of people fleeing war or famine.

*kentucky & tennessee just mark themselves as "american" in the census because they don't really have personal ties to that identity it's been so long. It's like, there's tiny remnants of accent, and some bluegrass songs are decedents of old gaelic traditional songs

then, by the time of the population explosion of the mid 1800s - early 20th century, the UK empire owned half the world so their surplus was going to other places. It was the places like Germany & Ireland that didn't have any colonies to exploit that came over here to be poor farmers or live in city tenements.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Wow the country that's 98.3% immigrants or descendants of immigrants likes to talk about where they're from???

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A Magical Lamp posted:

Not really, everyone likes to know where their family came from. Just doesn't come up in conversation much.

I guess that makes sense. I know I'm 50% Italian, 25% Spanish, and 12.5% of both German and English, but what that really means I don't know. I mean besides being all the good looking/heavy drinking countries in Europe mostly Europe.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

no that sort of thing is common in a lot of countries that were former colonies and have populations made up of immigrant groups. I mean you even include Canada but there are a lot of Canadians who are super hardcore about Scots heritage, not to mention the French-Canadians. much of South America has immigrant groups from different places who still maintain a bit of the older cultural identities, to some extent in Australia as well

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 28, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brannock posted:

Wow the country that's 98.3% immigrants or descendants of immigrants likes to talk about where they're from???

And then we pretend that it means something.

"Of course I love drinking! I'm Irish!" - has never been to Ireland - is actually from Wales

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
The news says Richard Branson went from trillionaire to plain billionaire LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE OLD PEOPLE + CHAVS

I'm going to include him him my prayers tonight and - maybe, just maybe - I'll throw a little extra into my next Virgin bill marked 'For Dick'. They'll get it to him, you can always trust the British.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

if corbyn wins at least he wont have a greater power enforcing horrible policies. Ofc that involves getting corb into power first

Besides that brits wont get much out of this with the current govt. Most of the positives are on the "gently caress you EU" side of things.

If this Brexit vote isn't enough to mobilize the youth to come out for Corbyn while fracturing the olds, then UK should just sink beneath the waves.
Right now the conservative party threw the ball to that nerdy kid that no one guards against, and the kid actually caught it! But he's got no idea what to do next, so he's just kind of squirming around while you close in to force a turnover. (This is a football [American hand soccer] analogy)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This thread makes me believe we should have a GBSEXIT poll

We have been oppressed by the Main Subforum for far too long

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Ork of Fiction posted:

Right now the conservative party threw the ball to that nerdy kid that no one guards against, and the kid actually caught it! But he's got no idea what to do next, so he's just kind of squirming around while you close in to force a turnover. (This is a football [American hand soccer] analogy)

You don't watch enough American football movies, they're all about the Underdog Undrafted Kid Whom Nobody Wanted On Their Team And Now They Win The Championship!!!!

Show me the rule that says horses can't play football!?!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
brexit your new MPs haircut because he looks like the worst kind of Boris

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 28, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Roylicious posted:

brexit your new MPs haircut because he looks like the worst kind of Boris

At the political formation of the US, they held a vote to determine whether the official language would be English or German because the population of German immigrants was so high.

Obviously they made the right choice. German is not a v. good language.

e: but pre-industrial revolution, the main export from Germany was its people.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then we pretend that it means something.

"Of course I love drinking! I'm Irish!" - has never been to Ireland - is actually from Wales

All of my ancestors came from Slovenia. I don't pretend this matters, even tho it's recent enough I could totally still get a citizenship there if I went through the effort. :slovenia: (imagine there's a crying mountain here)

• Locked thread